Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

Also motor RPM in both cases.

Sure, how do I do both of those things?  I have a multimeter, but not so well versed in how to use it yet.   How do I measure the motor voltage while it is running?  Also how do you get to the set point in the PID?

Also I could wire it up to the voltage regulator I used on the puller before I switched it to the stepper.

I was considering putting a stick or something on the motor shaft so I could video it turning and check the consistency of the rotation.

803 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-25 00:02:36)

Voltage - set to 20vdc on your meter, probes in the V and COM terminals, pull the red cap off the motor, touch probes to motor terminals where the wires are soldered. Should be around 12v.

Current - set to current on your meter, probably "10A". Wires in terminals marked "A" and "COM" or similar. The motor will pull around half an amp or less. Put the terminals inline with the motor circuit - you'll have to cut or disconnect one of the wires. Then, i'll look something like this:

black wire from power supply --- meter --- motor --- white wire from power supply

You can install it on either side of the motor. It just needs to be in the loop, in series with the motor. Keep in mind that when the leads are in the A and COM terminals on your meter, the meter is a dead short - you wouldn't want to accidentally try to measure voltage with the leads in the A and COM terminals, you'll short the power supply. Theres no danger to being and V and COM and trying to measure the current, the motor just wont run as in voltmeter mode, the meter's resistance is nearly infinite.

RPM - I just put a sharpie mark on the shaft and time how long it takes to make 10 rotations.

Why I ask all of this: With a 1.6mm die and no puller, the motor is somewhere in the middle of the torque curve. I'm worried that with a 3mm die and a puller, the motor is very much unloaded, and starting to touch its no load RPM. On a DC motor, current is proportional to torque, and applied voltage is proportional to speed. Of course, these things are linked. Here's an equation to represent these variables:

V = I * (Rstall + Rbackemf)

Rstall is the resistance the motor has when the shaft is locked. At 0RPM, there is no backemf, applied voltage is roughly constant (~12v in our case), so current is at its highest at stall. Hence, a DC motor produces maximum torque at stall. As the motor spins faster, it creates back-emf, a result of Lentz' law. It increases the effective resistance of the motor. Thus, the no-load RPM is finite.

Anyway, I'm curious if you're starting to hit the no-load region of the curve, which would result in inconsistencies - the motor can't speed up any more, even though there's nearly no load. Since we want pressure constant, we need torque to be constant, not speed, since pellet density is not uniform - it depends how the pellets are sitting. Sometimes they pack more densely into the pipe nipple than others, so pure speed control of the extruder motor isn't enough. If you're nearing the no-load portion of the curve, then extrusion backpressure will drop because the motor can't feed fast enough.

Disclaimer - I've made some simplifications here for the sake of brevity.

I had tried to increase backpressure a bit by moving the auger back to try to make the melt zone a little longer.  Decreasing temperature helps, but you can only go so low before the filament starts tearing as it is pulled.  Did you try the screen yet?

Would it help to use a motor that can spin the auger faster and create more pressure that way?

Motor RPM is about 1.11 for the 1.54 nozzle, and 1.16 for the 2mm.  12v in both cases, I haven't measured current because I'm too lazy to cut the wires at the moment.

I measured feed rate coming out of the nozzle.  I tilted the extruder so that the filament hung straight from the nozzle past the edge of the table so it didn't touch anything.  I clipped the filament at the beginning of the timer, and marked it at one minute so there would always be the same weight hanging from the nozzle.  For the 1.54 plug I was getting 2.5"/min at 180 celsius, which increased to 6-8 when I bumped the temperature to 205.   For 1 minute of extrusion at 205 I was getting a range of lengths with as much as 1" or more in variation.  Diameter tolerance was still in the area of .05-.07mm or so.

I think what is happening is that there is a lot of variation in pressure at the die.  The diameter stays within tolerances while the variation in pressure translates into variations in extrusion speed.  With the puller, that speed is forced to remain constant.  The filament is stretched into a straight line from the die to the puller, becoming a rigid rod once it passes the fan.  If pressure increases, it can't speed up extrusion because it runs into the end of that rod of cooled plastic so it widens instead.

I was thinking that it would be good to have a spring between the collar and bearing so I can see how much the pressure varies.  It occurs to me that it might actually be a fix, if the pressure variation can compress the spring rather than squirt the plastic faster.  The trick is getting a spring that is strong enough, or perhaps something else that compresses that isn't a spring.

IanJohnson wrote:

I was thinking that it would be good to have a spring between the collar and bearing so I can see how much the pressure varies.  It occurs to me that it might actually be a fix, if the pressure variation can compress the spring rather than squirt the plastic faster.  The trick is getting a spring that is strong enough, or perhaps something else that compresses that isn't a spring.

Would it make sense to design this to regulate to a constant back pressure, kind of like the battery powered calking guns do?  The motor turns the auger, but the motor auger assembly is on a slide that is spring loaded so that as it moves back it hits a switch, the motor either stops or better, the voltage/current is reduced until it moves forward again.  With a constant pressure, I would expect the output to be much more uniform.  It would not have to move much.  The spring could be against a threaded bolt, so that it could initially be set to the best pressure.

Being able to measure how much pressure is actually required to extrude stuff now would be an important piece of data.

One method of coupling that Tim tried was a socket with a washer jammed into the end that normally goes on the wrench.  The washer slid into the slot on the motor shaft (of the original motor, I think he mentioned the current one has a flat).  The socket is able to fit the auger shaft and turn it while still allowing it to slide in and out.  You can use this kind of coupling, and leave some room for the auger to push back into the socket when the spring is compressed, rather than needing to move both the auger and the motor.  Something on the auger could be set up to then hit a limit switch, or maybe a rack and pinion arrangement to turn a potentiometer.

If the whole thing gets controlled by an arduino, then you might be able to sense the compression and tune the motor speed directly.

Bellville Disc springs might be a good solution.  They are basically compressible washers that are slightly cone shaped.  For 5/8" they start with a fully compressed load of 330 lbs.  You can nest them together to increase load, or you can stack them in an alternating pattern to increase deflection while keeping the load of one spring.  Or you can do a combination.  They come in packs of 12 so you can try max loads ranging from 330-4000lbs. 

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-disc-springs/=lmv2ki

IanJohnson wrote:

One method of coupling that Tim tried was a socket with a washer jammed into the end that normally goes on the wrench.  The washer slid into the slot on the motor shaft (of the original motor, I think he mentioned the current one has a flat).  The socket is able to fit the auger shaft and turn it while still allowing it to slide in and out.  You can use this kind of coupling, and leave some room for the auger to push back into the socket when the spring is compressed, rather than needing to move both the auger and the motor.  Something on the auger could be set up to then hit a limit switch, or maybe a rack and pinion arrangement to turn a potentiometer.

If the whole thing gets controlled by an arduino, then you might be able to sense the compression and tune the motor speed directly.

It is likely to require a large stiff spring, but that is something that might fit around the outside of the coupling.  With everything rotating, it makes it harder to do a microswitch, but a photo diode would be something that would fit nicely with an Arduino controller.  It would be better to have a bit more movement of the spring without changing the pressure too much (longer spring), since the slice and dice action of the auger might create additional movement in the coupling as it rotates.  I suppose a controller could average the position over about a revolution to keep from over reacting.

Dennis wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

It is likely to require a large stiff spring, but that is something that might fit around the outside of the coupling.  With everything rotating, it makes it harder to do a microswitch, but a photo diode would be something that would fit nicely with an Arduino controller.  It would be better to have a bit more movement of the spring without changing the pressure too much (longer spring), since the slice and dice action of the auger might create additional movement in the coupling as it rotates.  I suppose a controller could average the position over about a revolution to keep from over reacting.

Use a linear pot instead of a microswitch. 
digikey product-detail/en/PDV20-31P-502B/PDV20-31P-502B-ND/2564798

neal wrote:

Use a linear pot instead of a microswitch. 
digikey product-detail/en/PDV20-31P-502B/PDV20-31P-502B-ND/2564798

Yes, but mechanical pots wear out if in a production machine.  Light beams have a very low wear factor.  ;-)

IanJohnson wrote:

I had tried to increase backpressure a bit by moving the auger back to try to make the melt zone a little longer.  Decreasing temperature helps, but you can only go so low before the filament starts tearing as it is pulled.  Did you try the screen yet?

Would it help to use a motor that can spin the auger faster and create more pressure that way?

Have not tried the screen, as I haven't seen contaminants lately.

You could probably run that motor at 15-16v without issue in terms of overloading it, but you'll get 30% more speed. Might help.

It's tough to find a 3rpm motor with enough torque to spin the auger. It was hard enough to find the 1.6rpm motor we use.

IanJohnson wrote:

Motor RPM is about 1.11 for the 1.54 nozzle, and 1.16 for the 2mm.  12v in both cases, I haven't measured current because I'm too lazy to cut the wires at the moment.

I measured feed rate coming out of the nozzle.  I tilted the extruder so that the filament hung straight from the nozzle past the edge of the table so it didn't touch anything.  I clipped the filament at the beginning of the timer, and marked it at one minute so there would always be the same weight hanging from the nozzle.  For the 1.54 plug I was getting 2.5"/min at 180 celsius, which increased to 6-8 when I bumped the temperature to 205.   For 1 minute of extrusion at 205 I was getting a range of lengths with as much as 1" or more in variation.  Diameter tolerance was still in the area of .05-.07mm or so.

I think what is happening is that there is a lot of variation in pressure at the die.  The diameter stays within tolerances while the variation in pressure translates into variations in extrusion speed.  With the puller, that speed is forced to remain constant.  The filament is stretched into a straight line from the die to the puller, becoming a rigid rod once it passes the fan.  If pressure increases, it can't speed up extrusion because it runs into the end of that rod of cooled plastic so it widens instead.

1.16 for the 2mm nozzle? Weren't you using a 3mm at one point? Unsure if that was a typo or not.

I think there's quite a bit of variation in pressure at the die. The motor is fed a constant voltage, not a constant current. That means torque (and pressure) can be all over the place.

One issue with the spring idea is that some of the thrust load comes from the pressurized melt zone, and some comes from the sliding of pellets in the barrel. I'm not sure what the split is.

814 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-26 20:29:59)

IanJohnson wrote:

The 9mm hex socket with washer is what I've been using for the last 10 beta kits or so. No complaints from anyone, and like you said, it allows for more misalignment, both axial and angular. You could put another shaft collar on the auger to trip a limit switch.

elmoret wrote:

Have not tried the screen, as I haven't seen contaminants lately.

Even though contaminates have reduced quite a bit for me I am curious as to how well the Filastruder would work with a screen.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Hey guys,
I am talking to vendors about ABS and HDPE. What Melt Flow do you think would work best with ABS and HDPE? Thanks guys!

Rob

OSPrinting wrote:

Hey guys,
I am talking to vendors about ABS and HDPE. What Melt Flow do you think would work best with ABS and HDPE? Thanks guys!

Rob

I only have extensive experience (>1lb printed) with white and gray. Their MFIs are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … iSmc#gid=0

They are 12 and 4.5, ASTM D1238, respectively.

I could print the white at 150mm/s, the gray at 90mm/s.... so I'd say somewhere between 4 and 12, using the ASTM D1238 standard.

elmoret wrote:
OSPrinting wrote:

Hey guys,

Rob

I only have extensive experience (>1lb printed) with white and gray. Their MFIs are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … iSmc#gid=0

They are 12 and 4.5, ASTM D1238, respectively.

I could print the white at 150mm/s, the gray at 90mm/s.... so I'd say somewhere between 4 and 12, using the ASTM D1238 standard.

Ya that makes sense.

OSPrinting,

Any word on new ABS masterbatch colors?

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

OSPrinting,

Ya the company I had hoped to buy from does not do extrusion grade ABS colorant. But I found another one and I should be getting some information on the colors they offer. Once I get that, I will post it and see what colors you guys want.

OSPrinting wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

OSPrinting,

Ya the company I had hoped to buy from does not do extrusion grade ABS colorant. But I found another one and I should be getting some information on the colors they offer. Once I get that, I will post it and see what colors you guys want.

cool. I am very happy with the green you currently sell.  Just getting a bit bored with it.

Filastruder

I would definitely like to see Red Blue and Yellow, as primary as you can get them so we can try out mixing.  I'm a little surprised about "extrusion grade colorant".  Is there masterbatch that increases the melt flow too much?

DePartedPrinter wrote:

cool. I am very happy with the green you currently sell.  Just getting a bit bored with it.

How much have you extruded? How much have you printed?

IanJohnson wrote:

I would definitely like to see Red Blue and Yellow, as primary as you can get them so we can try out mixing.  I'm a little surprised about "extrusion grade colorant".  Is there masterbatch that increases the melt flow too much?

+1 on the primary colors

Filastruder

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

How much have you extruded? How much have you printed?

Extruded approximately a pound of green. Printed maybe a third of that so far. Happy with it.  One thing I did try was introducing the colorant into the clear ABS and had good results. Looked very similar to the natural when it was colored. I need to order more plastic...

Filastruder