Re: Got my new E3D All-Metal Hotend V4 - (Updated with Mounted Pics)

Oh that wasn't a rant more a bit of polite advice people don't like being kept in the dark as i had emailed them and was waiting for a reply.

It doesn't help there is no contact details other then an email form... Correct me if i'm wrong but they used to list both of their emails up until a few weeks ago. Communication is key to keeping people happy even if its the bearing of bad news.

Anyway it wasn't a rant just a poke lol. And i can't wait to get my new extruder...

Incidentally is the thermistor the same ax the solidoodle one or do I have to select a different one and update the firmware?

Cheers

52 (edited by adrian 2013-06-23 06:59:50)

Staffordknot wrote:

Incidentally is the thermistor the same ax the solidoodle one or do I have to select a different one and update the firmware?

Cheers

Yup, Type 1.. which means you could leave it on 6, since that's a 'slightly off' Type 1 particularly in the lower regions... but if you can, I'd suggest switching it to 1...

But I can't speak for whats shipping today, tomorrow etc etc... *always* confirm what thermistor you have... you can also sort of confirm it by determining what ambient temp you are at with a reasonable degree of accuracy, and then measure with a DMM the resistance of the thermistor, and then look it up on the datasheet for the thermistor and see if it matches (or is within tolerances close). This is a lot easier if your DMM also features temperature readings, as you can use that function to determine ambient smile

Ok cheers thanks

Just an FYI to all - I received my replacement heater cartridge in the mail today here in Oz... pretty good turn around considering !

I think its worth reaffirming what Sanjay has already said - Everyone should be wary because in all likely hood, these slightly out-of-round and incorrect dimensioned cartridges will be being dumped into the wild one way or another - so double and triple check those eBay purchases!! smile

Did yours fail adrian?

Sanjay,  Any updates on shipping?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

57 (edited by adrian 2013-06-28 01:54:16)

Staffordknot wrote:

Did yours fail adrian?

Nope - if you recheck the thread a few posts back, there is a bad batch of heater cartridges that are both under-spec and Not-Round... (great combo wink ). Sanjay did a world-wide replacement to all owners of the E3D with both known good cartridges, and properly round ones (not ovals wink ).

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Just got the shipping notice! Cant wait to get this in.

Filastruder

59 (edited by adrian 2013-06-28 02:05:24)

Good news there!

Make sure you have Lawsy's Mk4 printed , and I found cain666's support neccesary due to the slightly longer length of the extruder meaning it had a bit more of a pendulum effect...

So one of these:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47561

And one of these:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:89783

DePartedPrinter wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Just got the shipping notice! Cant wait to get this in.

Same...And none too soon. My backup hotend just failed a couple hours ago. Replacement will probably be here sooner than the E3D, but still excited smile

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

My E3D have now shipped.

I will try and finalise the mk5 extruder very soon (which has a retaining clip to prevent wobble) to prevent wobbling problems.

adrian wrote:

Good news there!

Make sure you have Lawsy's Mk4 printed , and I found cain666's support neccesary due to the slightly longer length of the extruder meaning it had a bit more of a pendulum effect...

So one of these:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47561

And one of these:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:89783

I have no hotend at the moment so I hope I can get away with the E3D just sitting snugly in the mk4 long enough that I can print the support.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:

I have no hotend at the moment so I hope I can get away with the E3D just sitting snugly in the mk4 long enough that I can print the support.

It works fine without it for operation and worst case just wrap the top in a little kapton tape. You can also just slow the print

The support is needed though I personally found to ensure good detail at any reasonable speed as the wobble encouraged overshoot artifacts (such as perpindicular walls penetrating perimeters)

So don't worry too much, but definitely get to it till the Mk5 arrives smile

Hi guys.

Just a quick one as we are working way into the night shipping stuff.

Everything is shipping!

All orders made before June 11th have shipped. Everything else is shipping over the weekend, possibly Monday for some of the very recent orders.

Everyone is receiving the most up-to date hotend, which is effectively the v5 now. Many performance and ease of use tweaks have been done, but the fundamentals such as mounting dimensions, overall length etc (the things that matter for making it fit your machine) have remained identical. You will just be receiving a hotend that is lighter in weight, and has a somewhat improved thermal performance.

We hope to move to a permanent state of "shipping within 1-2 days of purchase" by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Sanjay

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

SanjayM wrote:

All orders made before June 11th have shipped.

I have a June 4th order, no shipping notification.

SanjayM wrote:

We hope to move to a permanent state of "shipping within 1-2 days of purchase" by the end of the week.

Great news! Thanks for the update

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

67 (edited by SanjayM 2013-06-28 22:00:10)

Elmoret.
Your 2 have shipped I am reliably informed. We just need to scan in hundreds of barcodes into our shipping/tracking notification system to get the notifications out. We are prioritising actually shipping stuff over getting notifications out - which means that your notification is going to come later. I know this isn't perfect, but as we only have a finite amount of time in the day we believe that it is more productive for us to spend our time packing/shipping as opposed to scanning/notifying.

Concerning water cooled and multi-nozzle hotends

Because there seems to be a bit of speculation/confusion surrounding this I am going to let the cat out of the bag.

We have on the way a small prototype run of a 4 nozzled, water cooled, bowden fed hotends.

We are calling this new hotend "Kraken" - A multi tentacled water borne monster! 

The total footprint of the hotend is only 30*40mm in XY plane, the Z height from top to tip is under 40mm, and the 4 nozzles are arranged in a rectangle only 20mm*18mm apart. The weight without electronics looks to be around 110 grams, which is barely the weight of 2x E3Dv5 hotends. Each nozzle to have separate temperature control. Each nozzle can be individually levelled and adjusted in height to be planar with the bed in a very easy and quick way.

The small size and weight despite 4 nozzles is due mainly to the high efficiency of water cooling, even with only a tiny amount of water flow and a small cooling channel we still have a massive excess of cooling capacity. The second reason is a new way of mounting/gripping bowden tubes which has all the convenience and grip of pneumatic push-fit couplers, but with significantly less bulk and weight.

We intend to keep the price reasonable, and below the price for buying the equivalent number of E3Dv5.

But to be clear - Kraken is not a replacement for the normal v5 hotend, which will remain our main product that suits most users. The Kraken is designed purely for multi-nozzle bowden feed applications. Futhermore it is not finished! We will be shipping the majority of our beta prototyping run to trusted testers. I expect problems to occur and tweaks to be necessary. I will start a separate thread once things are ready, and the final version of Kraken will be developed in a public/interactive manner so the community can input what it wants/needs so that we can give you guys what you want.

Kraken will be open-source when sold publicly.

Cheers,
Sanjay

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

68 (edited by elmoret 2013-06-28 22:28:57)

SanjayM wrote:

Elmoret.
Your 2 have shipped I am reliably informed. We just need to scan in hundreds of barcodes into our shipping/tracking notification system to get the notifications out. We are prioritising actually shipping stuff over getting notifications out - which means that your notification is going to come later. I know this isn't perfect, but as we only have a finite amount of time in the day we believe that it is more productive for us to spend our time packing/shipping as opposed to scanning/notifying.

No worries. Trust me, from my Kickstarter, I know all about prioritizing shipping and how annoying it is to get questions like "Has mine shipped yet?" I guess I just wanted to be on the other side of those questions - and I'm excited to have a hotend I can use for some more exotic materials I run through the Filastruder.

Congrats on this success!

Elmoret
Oh awesome! We are actually wanting to buy a filastruder to create more exotic filaments for printing experiments. Didn't realise you are behind that project.

We really want some PEEK and FEP filament. Printing PEEK or Ultem type polymers would be a massive step forward for open-source 3DP. Combined with FEP we think it might be possible to actually print a J-Head type hotend minus the brass nozzle tip and electronics.

Blends and additives are also something we are looking at playing with. But our main priority is that we want to test and be able to say that E3Dv5 prints [insert list of materials] and that we have tested them to work. This should then enable people buy and experiment with confidence in a polymer that suits their application.

SanjayM wrote:

We really want some PEEK

Bust out the fume hood! Polymer Fume Fever can result at about 450C for PEEK, though you could probably extrude it at 400C and be ok.

Anyway, sorry for the derail. Sanjay - shoot me a PM if you want to talk.

71 (edited by adrian 2013-06-29 00:58:02)

Well, the V4.1 will print PLA, Soft-PLA, ABS, HIPS and Polycarb ... Here it is busting out some Polycarb

Hey adrian,

Nice video! We love polycarbonate. I actually find it one of the cleanest and nicest materials to print. What I think you are experiencing is moisture in your filament, which boils off in the nozzle when it is suddenly heated. This causes the plastic to ooze out under pressure from the steam. It's probably also why your print is very cloudy looking.

If you dry your filament by putting it in 90C oven or so for a good few hours, or leave it somewhere warm and dry like an airing cupboard for a few days it should dry out. You should hopefully then get super-clean drip free extrusion and really clear prints.

All my experience is based on Ultimachine PC.

Good luck!
Sanjay

Woohoo! my E3Ds are on their way! Thanks sanjay!

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I missed mine being delivered today! Doh!

sanjay
I wouldn't worry about sending out parcel force tracking links, the one you used for me only tracks on delivery so is no real benefit unless its been delivered to the wrong address. However the dispatch notification was a joy to see!

Looking forward to receiving it! Oh polycarbonate not a material i know anything about are you using it for a specific property or just because you can?

Would love to be able to print a mould capable of standing the temps required for wax! Or to actually be able to print in wax would be awesome (for metal casting)

Cheers

x2 for the tracking. Mine says it will be delivered to Australia and that's it. At least I know it's on its way.