Re: Got my new E3D All-Metal Hotend V4 - (Updated with Mounted Pics)

I don't mean to be spammy or to necro threads for no reason, but... since this is probably the most important thread people will find when looking into the E3D install, I'll make one exception to necro this thread and repeat something. to wit:

I've written up a complete (as I can make it) set of instructions for installing an E3D on a SD2 or SD3 on the wiki, here:
http://www.soliwiki.com/E3D_extruder

I've targeted this to an audience that's comfortable with their printer, but maybe not as savvy a tinkerer as some here are, in hopes this will help people like me make the leap to the E3D.  So that's why I'm adding to this thread, so people who find it, but get scared by trying to synthesize all the steps and advice above, will know about that page.  (If they make it this far!)

Those of you who have forgotten more tinkering than I'll ever know, please feel free to suggest improvements and corrections.  Those who find these instructions useful but inaccurate or inadequately clear, ditto.

202 (edited by SanjayM 2013-09-23 00:25:07)

You're more than welcome to incorporate materials from the official instructions and use them on the SD wiki! Text and images.

Some tips:

• The kit comes with the small hex key you need for the grub screw that secures the heater cartridge, so you shouldn't need to supply those yourself. (Unless some are needed for disassembling the stock SD hotend?)

• The latest versions of the hotend have been using special screws designed for self-tapping into thermoplastic, these are phillips head.

• It would be good to emphasise that you shouldn't over-tighten the heat-break or the nozzle - which can lead to shearing them off.

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

I'm trying to update it now, but the server the wiki runs on is apparently a Commodore 64 on a satellite that keeps going behind the moon.  It's now taking ten minutes to load a page again.  I got about 2/3 of the way through the rewrite, but now I can't even get the editor to open.  So I might have to wait until tomorrow.  I hate to leave things in a half-finished state, but I also gotta sleep, particularly since I'm still sick as a dog.

Hunter Green wrote:

I'm trying to update it now, but the server the wiki runs on is apparently a Commodore 64 on a satellite that keeps going behind the moon.  It's now taking ten minutes to load a page again.  I got about 2/3 of the way through the rewrite, but now I can't even get the editor to open.  So I might have to wait until tomorrow.  I hate to leave things in a half-finished state, but I also gotta sleep, particularly since I'm still sick as a dog.

This is a tremendous effort, thank you for the work! I've been eyeing the E3D hotend for quite a while now for my makerspace's SD2, but I've been intimidated by it. This guide is extremely well put together and I will definitely be pursuing it now. Thank you again!

205 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-09-23 14:12:05)

All the reformatting and rewriting is now done.  This is finally version 1.0 of the instructions.  (Though I still hope people will help fill out the bits I didn't get, like how to handle firmware updates with the Solidoodle proprietary board.)

I made a point of making the step numbers in my instructions correspond exactly to E3D's instructions, so if you're talking to someone about the steps, you can refer to the numbers and know it'll work either way.