Re: Got my new E3D All-Metal Hotend V4 - (Updated with Mounted Pics)

I am waiting for my hot end to arrive... Excited lol

You mention attaching the temperature sensor with fire cement or something similar, can someone give me a link to a suitable product? Preferably uk site i don't need to order 5kg of the stuff?

Sanjay, is there a temperature correction factor from melt zone to thermistor? I.e. solidoodle says its at 200C when really its 235c? Incidently i think your product is very competitively priced for a well designed / engineered product!

27 (edited by adrian 2013-06-05 10:57:08)

Staffordknot: You can use just thermal paste and kapton if you aren't ever going to exceed 350°C ; as Kapton will breakdown as you get to around 400°C. It also means you need to have it taped off and attached before you put the heater cartridge in, as otherwise its a bit fiddly to tape up neatly... If you plan on going over 350°C, then I'd highly recommend the fire cement to ensure the thermistor stays firmly attached and 'airtight' to the block. But at that point, other considerations such as having an extremly high temp in close proximity to the ABS X-Carriage would be probably of more concern anyway!

As for temp comparison, its pretty darn close to 'whats on the box' so to speak... the thermistor is only a few mm's from the heater core and the melt zone.... the solidoodle OEM head difference is because the thermistor is a veritable mile away from the heat source... hence the need to compensate the readings.

Hopefully Sanjay can confirm or deny what I've stated above, but thats what I've found in using it...

ysb: I think that with some crafty use of M3 Standoffs and a reprinted x-carriage plate (the one the motor mounts ontop of, not the whole thing), we could lift the extruder at least 10mm's or so, and thus reclaim most of the lost z-axis. As I have an SD3 though, I'm not as immeadiately concerned with it as I would be if I had an SD2 so hadn't personally worried too much yet... But I'll have a play with my mount later tonight and see what I can achieve for you...

28 (edited by adrian 2013-06-05 12:41:48)

Heres a print I finished at 0.1mm 2 shells with the E3D & ABS. Need to fractionally tweak the flow a tad still I think. Plus this particularly ABS seems to be a tiny bit damp.. I'm getting extrusion bubbles tonight:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5346/8957509499_7252eef391_z.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3820/8957518603_7a51a92fc3_z.jpg

And a calibration print. 0.1mm, 1 shell.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/8957501295_6eae86960a_z.jpg

And same again, but 0.05mm:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8957817847_13eba0dcdc_z.jpg

Adrian,  I think you may have missed my question. Did you have to do anything special to drive that heater cartridge? Are you still running on the stock controller board?

2n2r5
Water cooled and multi-nozzle versions are going to be out rapidly. I have the handmade prototype on my desk right now. I am in the process of getting drawings to CNC manufactures for a run of prototypes. 6-8 weeks till market I reckon. We fully intend on selling as a complete package including pump/hose/etc but you are welcome to recycle your existing stuff!

StaffordKnot
Fire cement from good old B&Q works great, you can buy a little 500g pot of it. But really no need unless you are doing something really demanding. Just securing the thermistor properly with Kapton tape works great for almost all cases.

Adrian
You are correct in everything you say, but one key missing fact is that the thermistor itself is not rated beyond 300C - this goes for all thermistors, not just the one we supply. That said we have gone much higher without problems - I have killed a thermistor only once, in the 400C range. The thermistor is placed to make the readings as close as possible to the filament inside the nozzle while keeping it away from the heater cartridge so you can get stable PID controlled temperatures. You should be able to use "normal" uncompensated temps for processing your ABS/PLA.

Nice prints too!

nlancaster
The solidoodle runs a Sanguinololu to drive it's heater as far as i can see - so no mods needed, just connect up to the heater outputs and go.

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

SanjayM wrote:

2n2r5
Water cooled and multi-nozzle versions are going to be out rapidly. I have the handmade prototype on my desk right now. I am in the process of getting drawings to CNC manufactures for a run of prototypes. 6-8 weeks till market I reckon. We fully intend on selling as a complete package including pump/hose/etc but you are welcome to recycle your existing stuff!

Sounds expensive. Are there any major benefits over the air cooled version?

Got my fingers crossed you are shipping my new hot end soon...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

32 (edited by adrian 2013-06-07 08:48:38)

nlancaster wrote:

Adrian,  I think you may have missed my question. Did you have to do anything special to drive that heater cartridge? Are you still running on the stock controller board?

I did miss it mate, sorry! As Sanjay said, the Sang is fine to run the cartridge in and unto itself... The cartridge is about 3.6Ohm and will draw around 3.33Amps at 100% duty cycle.. however in practice mine is only ever running at 100% duty during the first 2 minutes of heatup and thereafter hovers at about 50% duty..

The current 4.8Ohm power resistors are running at 2.5Amps anyway, so its only .8 amps more... So the only issue I would consider is the standard PSU for the Solidoodle; depending on what heat bed you have and how many extra fans you are running, it may or may not be an issue. I don't like running PSU's too close to their rated power anyway, so have an upgraded 40Amp PSU so it only has to run at 50% load instead of 100% load (means it runs cooler... among many other things... )

But for full disclosure; I don't run the Sang anymore as I prefer a RAMPS with the extra functionality it offers... (too numerous to list, the least being 5 x Drivers, better LCD options, more pins to play with, etc). However the standard sang will do it quite comfortably as its still well within the specs for the MOSFET and only fractionally higher than the OEM provided solution...

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Sounds expensive. Are there any major benefits over the air cooled version?

I'm guessing here, but I'd suggest compactness and a reliable consistent set point and multiple extrusion temperatures. With air cooled heads running multiple materials (say PLA and ABS) you need to keep a reasonable amount of physical separation to ensure temperature isolation. With a water cooled 4 nozzle solution; if each nozzle is separately jacketed then its plausible that the required offset of each nozzle will be massively reduced. You could hang all 4 nozzles in a space not much bigger than the current print head. Using a traditional dual- or even tri-strusion setup would mean we'd loose half our build area due to separation, or we'd need a printer with twice as long an X-Axis smile This way you could have 4 nozzles in relatively close proximity.

And as mentioned, thermal isolation would play a factor. A 220°C extruder right next to a 190°C extruder that only have ambient to dissipate to, would be wildly competing with each other. The 220 dragged down and the 190 pulled up....

The decision as to if they are direct drive or extrusion based is probably a consideration at that point - I imagine for ultimate compactness you'd run as a bowden setup to get the smallest possible head foot print.

Plus the water cooling means that you'd be able to maintain a consistent temperature over a print for each individual nozzle compared to cooling to ambient - just like in PC cooling it may not *lower* your temps over ambient cooling (in fact, aggressive active cooling can probably get lower than standard water cooling) however with a reasonable flow rate you can *maintain* that set point longer.. so even when the PC's at 100% CPU it will only be a few degrees higher than Idle with a good tuned water setup... but it may not be lower than you could achieve at idle with active air, but it will be a lot more consistent...

Anyway, I have no idea - I'm just hypothesizing; haven't even seen a mechanical drawing for it! smile

Water cooling is useful for chambers that reach very high ambient temps.  Fans might not work well at 70C, which is the temperature on some commerical printers.

DePartedPrinter
The whole reason for water cooling is that is able to remove more heat in a smaller weight and space. Using a fan/heatsink combo works great and is entirely appropriate for a single hotend, but a heatsink for 3 or more hotends would be silly-big/heavy. Using water lets us pack nozzles tightly under a compact lightweight cooler block. The individual nozzles aren't themselves going to perform significantly differently to an air cooled one, it's the fact that you get get more of them.

There is also the very valid point that op7ical makes, heated chambers mean that fan based heatsinking doesn't work effectively. Our testing and feedback from customers who have tried it point to 50C ambient being about the tops for the air-cooled E3D. Water obviously solves this issue.

I Design/Sell the E3D all-metal hotends. My company is called e3d-online - you can buy at www.e3d-online.com

Sanjay,

Are you catching up on your back orders? Its a couple of weeks since I ordered mine, do you send out a notification when its despatched?

Adrian, have you looked at how to mount a cooling fan on the print area yet?

Staffordknot wrote:

Adrian, have you looked at how to mount a cooling fan on the print area yet?

Working on it. I'm thinking it will be something mounted on the backside to take up space under the carriage...

I have ordered a bowden setup with mine, i was thinking of adjusting the mk4 lower bracket holding the extruder to wrap over the top of the carriage then drill down through it to give an extra fixing. I was wondering with the extruder motor out of the way whether I could mount a fan in its place and duct it somehow.

Have you seen the guy who mixes colours with three heads? If the melt zone is so short there must be a way of designing a head printing with cyan, yellow, magenta style filament and just moving the head out of the way to extrude until the new colour comes through then carrying on with the print?

StaffordKnot
Its not so much a matter of "catching up" we have a really solid shipping setup, and all the boxes are filled and ready to go apart from some key machined components. When these come in we will be shipping 100+units/day. Unfortunately we are being hit by the fact that our machinists have been having problems with staff illness. There's not much we can do about this, and we can't really blame them. We really did try and allow an excess of time in our lead times to account for things like this, but murphys law once again has intervened. I will try and update you all once I have had my daily phone call with them tomorrow. I'm really sorry if we are behind schedule shipping your stuff. Usually if something gets shipped late then we try and get some freebies in the box to make up for it.

Mixing nozzles are certainly an interesting setup, and I have some ideas and cad designs around how to achieve good mixing in a short space. I've had a neat/simple idea that I think will reduce the amount of melt zone required to mix in to a very small amount while still mixing effectively. It's about a year down the line, but it's definitely something we are working on in the background.

SanjayM wrote:

Its not so much a matter of "catching up" we have a really solid shipping setup, and all the boxes are filled and ready to go apart from some key machined components. When these come in we will be shipping 100+units/day. Unfortunately we are being hit by the fact that our machinists have been having problems with staff illness. There's not much we can do about this, and we can't really blame them. We really did try and allow an excess of time in our lead times to account for things like this, but murphys law once again has intervened. I will try and update you all once I have had my daily phone call with them tomorrow. I'm really sorry if we are behind schedule shipping your stuff. Usually if something gets shipped late then we try and get some freebies in the box to make up for it.

Thanks for the heads up on the current situation.  I ordered mine on the 28th so I am guessing I wont see it for a few weeks at least.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Yes thanks for taking the time to reply sanjayM, as a fellow brit it was really nice to order a part that hasn't had to sit in customs for 9 days like my qu-bd silicone bed has done!

SanjayM - Any update on lead time? I ordered a little over 3 weeks ago and was wondering if items are still being delayed.

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

43 (edited by Staffordknot 2013-06-18 08:23:58)

Sanjay aka mr community relations manager please advise your community of delivery times... I ordered mine on the 22 May. As much as its frustrating waiting for a product to arrive its infuriating not being kept apprised of the current situation!

A simple email with expected delay would be nice. Not sure if mines lost in the post, overlooked or just not sent!

Cheers

44 (edited by adrian 2013-06-18 10:12:07)

Staffordknot wrote:

Sanjay aka mr community relations manager please advise your community of delivery times... I ordered mine on the 22 May. As much as its frustrating waiting for a product to arrive its infuriating not being kept apprised of the current situation!

A simple email with expected delay would be nice. Not sure if mines lost in the post, overlooked or just not sent!

Cheers

You mean like Solidoodle themselves send out when you spend 10 times the money and wait two times as long ? wink wink Oh thats right..... wink

But seriously,  So far it doesn't sound too far past the 3 week pre-order limit thats mentioned right there when you buy it...

Bit ranty for a mere week delay smile

Have you tried contact the vendor directly, rather than relying on an unrelated forum Sanjay may not get to for another few days... If its an issue, try the most appropriate contact methods maybe smile

I don't see how a mini rant in public would help vs you sending, as you said, a simple email to the vendor,

Sanjay posted this on the RepRap forums the 13th. Sounds like they're still running just a bit behind, which can be expected with pre-orders involving machine shops. Those interested in the E3D may want to check out this thread as there is a lot of discussion and is pretty active.

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,197736,page=9

In general
We are still waiting on parts from the machinists for the batch that is currently waiting to ship. They've had a guy sick which has been killing the deadline on getting the next batch of machined parts in, and thus kits out the door. It's lame, but we really can't blame them. We really tried to account for problems, and added extra time to our lead time after lessons from missing prior deadlines, but once again Murphys Law intervenes. I think we are looking at a week to 10 days to ship. Argh. If packages leave late then we always try and put something extra in the box for free, like exotic polymer filaments.

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

sanjay via RepRap Forums wrote:

liweitianux and others with off heaters
We posted hundreds of new heaters today. Anybody who has had any chance at all of having a bad heater has been shipped a new heater - first class airmail. Should be with you in a few days - no need to ask.

I am really sorry to anyone who has had issues relating to this, we have been as proactive as possible in getting this sorted and have taken a bit of a financial hit in doing so. We don't even know if the supplier is going to refund us.  It's important to us that everyone gets proper parts, and this is the only really fair way to sort this mess out that we can see.

In general I think people need to be aware that there are bad heater cartridges out in the reprap arena, and these will be among many suppliers
Symptoms:
Inconsistent size/shape - not round, bulged, over 6mm in diameter.
Low power output (High resistance) Around 7.5-8.5 Ohms for 18W of power. Poor heat up times, inability to maintain or obtain high temperatures.

They are labelled as 40w and 12v - but I have a suspicion that they are perhaps 24v units that have ended up mislabelled. But this doesn't account for the poor dimensional accuracy/inconsistency.

That is an impressive self-recall. Well done Sanjay. You already have my order for 2 units but after seeing that I might get another for my girl friends prusa.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I am leaning more and more to a custom delta printer with 3 print heads, for my next printer.  And the E3D looks like the way to go!

StaffordKnot, Krythis, Others waiting on parts

As adrian quoted me from the RepRap forums we have a bit of a delay going on. That sucks. We are sorry. We can't do much about it (Staff illness at the place that is doing the machined parts manufacture.)

Delay isn't going to be long - Everything except the heater-blocks will be with us on Friday. This means we can pack every single box with everything it needs, address label, customs label etc etc. The heater-blocks will arrive Monday or Tuesday, we can then do a super-rapid insertion of one block in each box and ship immediately.

Hope this allays fears and lets people know what is going on. As always, just ask if you have any questions. I don't mind if you do it on forums, or by email. In fact it can be quite helpful for others if your question is a more general one that many people may benefit from. However for the promptest response do email me or use the contact form on our website.

2n2r5
I appreciate the kind words, but really it's the only 'proper' way we could see to deal with this issue. We can't test every part we ship, but we do QC checks on batches of stuff we get in. The odd thing about this one is that some heaters in the batch are fine and dandy. Others not. With no pattern. I know that there is only really one top-level supplier for these parts, and I also know that this problem is not isolated to us at E3D. I expect we will see these bad cartridges start to filter out into general supply soon - so caveat emptor.

nlancaster
If three headed bowden is what you are wanting then you will love what we are about to show off in the next few weeks.

SanjayM wrote:

nlancaster
If three headed bowden is what you are wanting then you will love what we are about to show off in the next few weeks.

OH!!! now why did you have to post something like that.....so much for getting any sleep for the next few weeks wink