Re: [HOWTO] Convert Da Vinci Jr to RAMPS 1.4

carl_m1968 wrote:
NickXavier wrote:

I've got my X axis to work now. Heating keeps failing now. I disconnected everything from the pcb, is that the problem?

How is it failing? Giving you an error? Not heating? You need to give us more info than just failing.

"Heating Failed" after trying to heat for about 20-30 seconds. I'm using a board from an old prusa i3, and i remembered why I had replaced it, so I'm getting a new ramps board soon.

NickXavier wrote:

"Heating Failed" after trying to heat for about 20-30 seconds. I'm using a board from an old prusa i3, and i remembered why I had replaced it, so I'm getting a new ramps board soon.

Check the connection of your heating element with meter to see if it actually gets the power and double check if you have power output from your D10. Hot end heater don't have direction, just make sure your D10 have 12V out put and your heater actually gets the power.

If your D10 give 12V, your heater don't gets it, redo the wiring. If your D10 give 24V, you need new heater, you can get 2 for $5 on ebay, and you need 24V version.

If board don't output 12V, check your marlin configuration.h and see if you get the settings right. or you burned your MOSFET, get an replacement on ebay for about $5.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Do you think is possible to flash the operating system of the Davinci jr pro to the davinci jr

3dprintingkid wrote:

Do you think is possible to flash the operating system of the Davinci jr pro to the davinci jr

You can't extract the firmware. It is encoded and all you get is a bin file. You would have to have the non-encoded firmware because there will be edits you would need to make as well as port assignment changes to.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Question for those that have converted the Jr to RAMPS, are you able to increase your speed of the print at all?

mjf55 wrote:

Question for those that have converted the Jr to RAMPS, are you able to increase your speed of the print at all?

What kind of speed are you looking for? On a machine of that size and materials it is made of the best you could do without ringing and other anomalies would be 40mm/s while 25 to 30mm/s is more realistic. the only gain from the conversion is being open source and being much more quite.

carl_m1968 wrote:
mjf55 wrote:

What kind of speed are you looking for? On a machine of that size and materials it is made of the best you could do without ringing and other anomalies would be 40mm/s while 25 to 30mm/s is more realistic. the only gain from the conversion is being open source and being much more quite.

Thanks carl, it was really just a point of curiosity that I asked.  I recently got and assembled a delta printer and I am amazed by those speeds.  While I know that the JR would never approach that, I was wondering what are the expectations for it.
I have my Jr printing at 20mm/s and I am very happy with the results (stock firmware )

183 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-10-06 19:03:41)

Well, I have two Jr converted to RAMPS, they have no problem printing at 40mm/s, it generate significantly more noise however, I have to limit the speed to 30mm/s to make it stay quite.

However, after conversion, it take longer to print a object than with the stock firmware. The stock firmware prints at over-extrusion mode and therefore the nozzle move significant less distance. That is how Jr. can print at slow speed and stay quiet and still manage to print a object in reasonable amount of time. After conversion, I slice with Cura setting nozzle to 0.5mm and 0.6mm and achieve similar result at 20mm/s in similar amount of time. And XYZprinting filament is giving much better result at this setting when compared with 3rd party filament. However, when set nozzle to 0.4mm, it gives much better result after conversion while take longer time if set at the same speed.

So I think the gain from the conversion is
1. Being open source, work with most of slicer software and servers.

2. being much more quite if you set motor current carefully and don't destroy the case. This is the primary reason I did the conversion.

2. Increased resolution. I did not expect this, but I think you can achieve this by slice with cura and convert your file with three-dub without convert to ramps.

3. Increased strength of the print. For reason I don't fully understood, my print generated with XYZprinting filament did not last long. They break easier and I have to reprint it after the conversion with 3rd party filament. My speculation is the PLA filament XYZprinting use is pure or made with ultra fine powder so that they works better in over-extrusion mode. The 3rd party filament have different filling (non-PLA stuff) and is less fine grounded and enhance physically property of the final print.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

184 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-10-06 22:48:17)

remember in a small space you can only go so fast. And acceleration is limited also.  Like driving a Lamborghini in a 2 square block area. The lambo may be capable of 200 mph but not driving around the block.Conversion opens up a lot . you can tweak firmware and you have a choice of iirc 5 slicers you can use all with hundreds of setting to tweak.

Disclosure I do no own a davinci. Also i sort of consider one as a first printer. I know people that use them and love them. It is one brand  I would recommend people avoiding.   
But if you already have one a ramps conversion is a real option.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

based on the printing quality, I would also recommend people to avoid xyzprinting.
based on the filament price, I would also recommend people to avoid Da vinvi Jr. and mini
however, these two problem can be avoided by RAMPS conversion.

Only advantage of Da vinci Jr. really has is the case for the noise control when taking the price of the machine into consideration. if printing noise doesn't borther you, don't buy it.

after ramps conversion, the only thing borthers me sometimes is the print size, but I have not so far find anything can print bigger and quiet affordable.

186 (edited by hydronaut 2017-11-05 19:24:35)

Have everything almost complete. Reused most of the wiring but put all new connectors to plug directly into the Ramps board. Going to mount on the side where the spool holder used to be.

Using an e3d clone and evything moves and works except the end stops. I think I fried one. Tried using a 220 ohm resistor but still no luck.

I have some mechanical ones lying around. Does anybody mind sharing if they used mechanical ones how they mounted them?

mechanical one is good, easy to use and simple to wire. just follow the instruction on your ramps board for wiring, it is simple and you are unlikely to fry anything. then remove the old end stop.

http://www.techmonkeybusiness.com/images/Tech/RAMPS_Endstop_and_Thermistor_Connections.jpg

You may need to print out some mount for the mechanical endstop if your endstop does not fit or you have trouble to mount it.
These mount are for Da Vince 1.0, it may or may not fit Jr. but you can easily make some adjustment with tinkcad.
http://www.techmonkeybusiness.com/model … _Files.zip

Just finished printing a new hot end holder and a mount for the ramps.  Will post pictures when done.  Just have to mount and shorten all wires and put the case back on.

All proprietary electronics removed.  Even the board in the hot end.  Will be replacing the hot end with a genuine e3d lite.

Burned out one endstop so siliconed one in the Z.  You only need a 220ohm resistor on each endstop  (I put inline with some heat shrink over it). You can enable pull ups in ramps.

The mount are integrated into the z and y.  Trying to figure out where I can position some microswitches.

189 (edited by hydronaut 2017-11-10 22:41:03)

Just finished printing a new hot end holder and a mount for the ramps.  Will post pictures when done.  Just have to mount and shorten all wires and put the case back on.

All proprietary electronics removed.  Even the board in the hot end.  Will be replacing the hot end with a genuine e3d lite.

Burned out one endstop so siliconed one in the Z.  You only need a 220ohm resistor on each endstop  (I put inline with some heat shrink over it). You can enable pull ups in ramps.

The mounts are integrated into the z and y.  Trying to figure out where I can position some microswitches.

https://preview.ibb.co/fN0RtG/IMG_0397.jpg

I wonder why everyone burned z-endstops. Is it different from x and y endstop? it need larger resistors? May help prevent trouble for other peoples.

It was my fault, shorted it out.  Endstops seem to be all the same.  Either way plan on switching them to small mechanical switches.

Probably cost more to modify this printer than buy another but then wouldn't learn anything.  I am actually surprised at the prints coming out of this thing now.  They are flawless.  Plus I like the enclosure.

Looking to add heated bed now.

192 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-11 17:29:48)

I didn't short my z-endstop, but I did short my other endstop. I converted two Jr. Everyone burned z-endstop. The x and y I have been short, inverted, connect in every possible wrong way, still working fine.

The quality of the hardware is great. The software and firmware is terrible. Not to mention expensive filament.
I also like the enclosure, it become very quiet after you close the door (if you adjust the motor driver current correctly and replace the fan with quiet ball bearing fan). You will notice Jr. is a lot quieter after RAMPS conversion. (adjust motor current in stock board is not possible so far).

Other 3D printer are noisy, even if they have enclosure and you adjust the motor driver current correctly and replace the fan with quiet ball bearing fan. Including Da Vinci 1.0. I did buy another 3D printers for larger print volume, but get lots of complain from family member and neighbors for the noise and have to just let them sit there collect dust. The two RAMPS converted Jr. is running all day and all night without get noticed.

193 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-11-11 19:00:29)

yizhou.he wrote:

I didn't short my z-endstop, but I did short my other endstop. I converted two Jr. Everyone burned z-endstop. The x and y I have been short, inverted, connect in every possible wrong way, still working fine.

The quality of the hardware is great. The software and firmware is terrible. Not to mention expensive filament.
I also like the enclosure, it become very quiet after you close the door (if you adjust the motor driver current correctly and replace the fan with quiet ball bearing fan). You will notice Jr. is a lot quieter after RAMPS conversion. (adjust motor current in stock board is not possible so far).

Other 3D printer are noisy, even if they have enclosure and you adjust the motor driver current correctly and replace the fan with quiet ball bearing fan. Including Da Vinci 1.0. I did buy another 3D printers for larger print volume, but get lots of complain from family member and neighbors for the noise and have to just let them sit there collect dust. The two RAMPS converted Jr. is running all day and all night without get noticed.

If your neighbors can hear your printer then you have VERY thin walls or very NOSEY neighbors. I have used all sorts of 3d printers and I have never had a single one that could be heard through a wall or behind a closed door.

carl_m1968 wrote:

If your neighbors can hear your printer then you have VERY thin walls or very NOSEY neighbors. I have used all sorts of 3d printers and I have never had a single one that could be heard through a wall or behind a closed door.

neighbors live in downstairs. the noise cause floor vibrate and certain frequency noise gets amplified by the floor. And this is not the first house we lived have this kind of effect. If you watched <Friends> or have lived in old condo or apartment you would knew. It is more problem that I lived in a very quiet neighborhood, in the dark night you can hear people cough on street from inside of the house, or the clock ticking in another room. 

All my printer have to sit on table with Styrofoam between printer and table. The good thing about Jr. is not only it is quite, it also not vibrating. vibration gets translated to sound by the floor.

Almost done.  Complete strip down and rewire. Printed a bracket for the ramps board on the side. http://soliforum.com/i/?iFqdAiz.jpg

Nice job.

197 (edited by andi_adams 2017-11-25 18:21:47)

Anthem wrote:
tee.techa wrote:

Do you have a picture of part that plugging it into the 12-pin connector?

Sorry, I don't have one handy, but I'll try to take a shot of my connector and post it here soon. The pins are laid out like this (facing the holes of the connector -- not the back where the wires go in):
YYYZZZ
XXXNNN

The pins labeled N are obviously unused (on mine there were no wires in them).

In each of the sets of three pins, it goes:

(Signal, Ground, +5v)

tee.techa wrote:

Do you have a picture of part that wiring with resistors?

Same deal -- I'll try to post one soon if I can, but schematically it basically looks like this:

--- 220 Ohm --- 5v
             |
---------------- 12 kOhm --- Signal

--------------- Ground
tee.techa wrote:

Do you have a picture of part that crimp the three JST connectors on the other end of your cables?

Are you talking about the connectors for the endstops? Or do you actually mean the tool I use to do the crimping?

tee.techa wrote:

Moreover what 4pins on my picture does? do I need to put on Ramps?

IIRC, that's the connector for the filament runout sensor. I never hooked mine back up (I ended up replacing my extruder anyway), and I never bothered to figure out the pinout for it. I'm not sure, but I think it's just another optical sensor -- so you'd probably have to repeat the deal with the 220 and 12k resistors in order to connect it to RAMPS as a runout sensor.

If any one else here has set up their runout sensor, would you be able to explain how you did that?

Ok ladies and gents, can you guys help a mechanical fitter out with this electronic shizzle?
I don’t know if this will work but I tried attaching a sketch of what I’m understanding the optical endstop wiring to look like? Can anyone verify this please?

Post's attachments

EF1E585F-4C81-4C81-B77F-9CFBF98C0F89.jpeg 1.28 mb, 34 downloads since 2017-11-25 

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.05 mb, 2 downloads since 2017-11-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

you understand it correctly. that is how I wired mine.

199 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-11-25 20:22:09)

check with multimeter on ground and signal. you should get very low voltage by default. once endstop blocked by paper. voltage increase to greater than 3v

Quool, thank you.
I just noticed someone cracked nfc key algorithm, gutted mine after waiting for an age. Lol
I gotta figure out which wire is which on the end stop, then I can check like you said.
Thanks again yizhou