Re: [HOWTO] Convert Da Vinci Jr to RAMPS 1.4

Im not going to buy that 190 dollars kit. Good to know that RAMPS could fail, i didn't know they can be that risky part.. Yet i want to verify as i'm currently going to buy http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 … 4613a2a8c8 , am i good to go with it ?

Much thanks for replies ! big_smile

127 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-04-18 21:02:10)

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

Im not going to buy that 190 dollars kit. Good to know that RAMPS could fail, i didn't know they can be that risky part.. Yet i want to verify as i'm currently going to buy http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 … 4613a2a8c8 , am i good to go with it ?

RAMPS don't fail often, but there have been a good number of people mainly those buying the cheaper Chinese version that have had them not work at all or just fail several days later. Sainsmart and Riorand are the better brands. If you can try to find one that has heat sinks on the MOSFETs. I found a Riorand on ebay that had them when I modded my 1.0.

I see no reason why what you have listed won't work. But you also will need a better power supply in the neighborhood of 350 watts with any real upgrade you do.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

RAMPS don't fail often, but there have been a good number of people mainly those buying the cheaper Chinese version that have had them not work at all or just fail several days later. Sainsmart and Riorand are the better brands. If you can try to find one that has heat sinks on the MOSFETs. I found a Riorand on ebay that had them when I modded my 1.0.

I see no reason why what you have listed won't work. But you also will need a better power supply in the neighborhood of 350 watts with any real upgrade you do.

Cool, thank you for help. Do you already know good external power source ? I was thinking about modifying da vincis own psu as it's 5A thing already.

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

Cool, thank you for help. Do you already know good external power source ? I was thinking about modifying da vincis own psu as it's 5A thing already.

You are going to need around 30 amps due to the fact you are adding the heated bed. Those beds pull a lot of current when they initially heat up. If it's the same kind of supply the 1.0 has it is simply an ITX PC supply. You can get 350 watt versions on Ebay.

carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

You are going to need around 30 amps due to the fact you are adding the heated bed. Those beds pull a lot of current when they initially heat up. If it's the same kind of supply the 1.0 has it is simply an ITX PC supply. You can get 350 watt versions on Ebay.

Oh you are right, thanks.

Micro center carries the mega boards and the ramps. A little high on the ramps IIRC $20
the driver prices are crazy Like $11 each  you can get genuine made in usa from polulu cheaper than that.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Ordered ramps kit today and cables. Any tips before it arrives ? Im going to plug heatbed too.

Any tips before it arrives ?

Do your homework:
Ramps schematics ,wiring
firmware settings.
Download your firmware and look it over familiarize yourself with the settings config.h
Arduino IDE download IIRC 1.67 of earlier the latest will cause issues.
Learn debugging steps you are kink of building a new printer so you need to be prepared.

Lot of folks have tread this path so no worries you can get help here.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

Do your homework:
Ramps schematics ,wiring
firmware settings.
Download your firmware and look it over familiarize yourself with the settings config.h
Learn debugging steps you are kink of building a new printer so you need to be prepared.

Actually i have wired almost all components for now, only thing remaining is top lamp. Just tried Auto Home first time and something seems wrong on Y axis as it's keeping crashing big_smile Need to check optical end stop tomorrow.

Any good case for ramps 1.4 ? There is plenty available after all..

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Do your homework:
Ramps schematics ,wiring
firmware settings.

Actually i have wired almost all components for now, only thing remaining is top lamp. Just tried Auto Home first time and something seems wrong on Y axis as it's keeping crashing big_smile Need to check optical end stop tomorrow.

The Light in the Da Vinci runs on 5 volts. The Ramps does not have a 5 volt controlled line.

carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Do your homework:
Ramps schematics ,wiring
firmware settings.

The Light in the Da Vinci runs on 5 volts. The Ramps does not have a 5 volt controlled line.

I can limit 12v line with resistor, is there some special settings if i use optical endstops in marlin conficuration files?

You cant use the stock endstops. They do not have the required current limiting resistors on board and will be damaged if connected to a Ramps. You need after market optical or mechanical endstops. Then it is just a matter of configuring them

carl_m1968 wrote:

You cant use the stock endstops. They do not have the required current limiting resistors on board and will be damaged if connected to a Ramps. You need after market optical or mechanical endstops. Then it is just a matter of configuring them

I added 220ohm resistor on 5v and 10k resistor between 5v and signal - that should work ?

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I added 220ohm resistor on 5v and 10k resistor between 5v and signal - that should work ?

Did you do the math for 5 volts or 12 volts? You cannot use the stock values for anything as the RAMPS will not use the 3.3 or 5 volts. It will only use and put out 12 on all the peripheral connections. At 12 volts the 220 will allow 23ma and the 10K will allow 500uA.

carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Did you do the math for 5 volts or 12 volts? You cannot use the stock values for anything as the RAMPS will not use the 3.3 or 5 volts. It will only use and put out 12 on all the peripheral connections. At 12 volts the 220 will allow 23ma and the 10K will allow 500uA.

I measured end stop pin and it provides stable 5 - 5.1 volts. When there is nothing between optical endstop signal to ground voltage is 0v and when there is something between optical endstop i get readin 2 voltage between signal and ground.

carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Do your homework:
Ramps schematics ,wiring
firmware settings.

Why tutorial is saying:

Light Bar
The light bar is a 3-connector 12V switched LED circuit. One wire is 12V+, one Ground, and the other is a 5V signal that controls the brightness of the lights. When looking at the stock connector, holes facing you and "nub" down, 12V+ is on the right, Ground in the center and Signal on the left.

roope.jarvenpaa wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
roope.jarvenpaa wrote:

Why tutorial is saying:

Light Bar
The light bar is a 3-connector 12V switched LED circuit. One wire is 12V+, one Ground, and the other is a 5V signal that controls the brightness of the lights. When looking at the stock connector, holes facing you and "nub" down, 12V+ is on the right, Ground in the center and Signal on the left.

No problem then, they will just always be full on unless you need that 5volts to enable them as well.

143 (edited by megatron 2017-05-16 08:35:25)

@Anthem - I noticed your firmware has 4 Extruders set. Is there a reason for that or is it simply an arbitrary value?

Also, will this firmware support Dual extrusion without much messing around?

IIRC he is actually using 4 extuders much like the latest PRUSA I3.

Apologies if this has been asked. How is everyone handling the print head floating so far off of the bed? I've got somewhere in the ballpark of 16mm between the build plate and the print head after homing and before starting a print.

You have to adjust your z offset in your start gcode.

I have, it's still just floating there, above the build plate at 16mm. think I may need a new arduino...

Adjust the z stop or the software settings.

Thanks guys. In the end I just swapped out the Mega. But another question arises: I have the firmware setup for 2 extruders and I've installed thermistors and heaters into both hotends. Is the firmware assuming both are read from a single output then outputting accordingly, or should it be reading from each hotend individually? I've been tinkering in software (Simplify and Cura both) to try and get both hotends to work.

megatron wrote:

Thanks guys. In the end I just swapped out the Mega. But another question arises: I have the firmware setup for 2 extruders and I've installed thermistors and heaters into both hotends. Is the firmware assuming both are read from a single output then outputting accordingly, or should it be reading from each hotend individually? I've been tinkering in software (Simplify and Cura both) to try and get both hotends to work.

Am I reading this right and you are installing TWO hotends on a JR? That is going to decrease your build area by the width and depth of the second hotend on an already very small build area.