226 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-02-08 00:35:56)

Re: [HOWTO] Convert Da Vinci Jr to RAMPS 1.4

look here    https://www.arduino.cc/en/hacking/libraries

https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/libraries

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

carl_m1968 wrote:

Well since you are setting up RAMPS then all you need to do is select the RAMPS board in the firmware before compiling. The only file you should be doing anything in is configuration.h. No other files need to be touched. Personally I used Marlin when I converted my Da Vinci 1.0 to RAMPS.

Maybe this can help some. 

https://www.repetier.com/documentation/ … tallation/

When I swap the configuration.h file I get about 200 “error missing binary Operator before token ‘(‘.”

Why are you swapping the Configuration.h file. The default file as it is with the default version or repetier firmware you download from github should be close to running your machine. All you need to do is set motor directions, endstop settings, and select the proper board and display and then compile it.

I have never had to swap any file on any conversion and I have done several.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Apparently downloading the latest marlin then swapping out the config.h and the configadv.h files  to one specific to your printer is one way of setting up marlin
it has been done and is out on you tube.

I too have never done this and do not agree with everything on this video.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

carl_m1968 wrote:

Why are you swapping the Configuration.h file. The default file as it is with the default version or repetier firmware you download from github should be close to running your machine. All you need to do is set motor directions, endstop settings, and select the proper board and display and then compile it.

I have never had to swap any file on any conversion and I have done several.

I misunderstood about the library and got it added (to the software not the sketch) it compiles now, but my board is no longer recognized for uploading.

try loading blink   sounds like you have a com port issue

Tin Falcon wrote:

try loading blink   sounds like you have a com port issue

I figured it out. I had to uninstall ALL arduino software on the computer. Then on the online version I could upload blink. Log out, reinstall the IDE and then it is recognized. I think it happens because I use Mac and not PC.

Now, I am trying to make the needed changes to only use 1 extruder/hotend and 1 bed heater. I changed the values in

configuration.h to: #define EXTRUDERS 1 (1 was originally 4)

and numbers in () are the original coded numbers.

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5 (5)
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0 (5)

// Same pin as TEMP_SENSOR_0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0 (5)
// Same pin as TEMP_SENSOR_1
#define TEMP_SENSOR_3 0 (5)

#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 0

As expected I get multiple errors:
Arduino: 1.6.7 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

sketch/Marlin_main.cpp.o: In function `gcode_M31()':
Marlin_main.cpp:(.text._Z9gcode_M31v[gcode_M31()]+0xe6): undefined reference to `extruder_heater_idx'
Marlin_main.cpp:(.text._Z9gcode_M31v[gcode_M31()]+0xe8): undefined reference to `extruder_heater_idx'
Marlin_main.cpp:(.text._Z9gcode_M31v[gcode_M31()]+0xee): undefined reference to `extruder_heater_idx'
sketch/Marlin_main.cpp.o: In function `gcode_M104()':
Marlin_main.cpp:(.text._Z10gcode_M104v[gcode_M104()]+0x30): undefined reference to `extruder_heater_idx'
Marlin_main.cpp:(.text._Z10gcode_M104v[gcode_M104()]+0x32): undefined reference to `extruder_heater_idx'
sketch/Marlin_main.cpp.o:Marlin_main.cpp:(.text._Z10gcode_M104v[gcode_M104()]+0x38): more undefined references to `extruder_heater_idx' follow
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling.

Any ideas which single character I need to adjust? I do appreciate all the help, I can build anything electronic, but programming is defiantly my weak spot.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

did you try the marlin version from post 207/220

Tin Falcon wrote:

did you try the marlin version from post 207/220

That one gives me 100's of missing binary before token '(' errors.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/16967/ma … -update-2/

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Thanks, a few minor adjustments (turning on the bed heater) and 1.1.7.1 seems to be working. Unfortunately, weather has delayed shipments so I won’t know for sure until Tuesday :-/. Just to make sure, are the settings for the da Vinci extruder and hot end?

Khole2012 wrote:

Thanks, a few minor adjustments (turning on the bed heater) and 1.1.7.1 seems to be working. Unfortunately, weather has delayed shipments so I won’t know for sure until Tuesday :-/. Just to make sure, are the settings for the da Vinci extruder and hot end?

It is for Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 extruder and E3D clone hotend. As long as it works, it is easy to make adjustment based on your actual hardware. Make sure you make backups before change settings so that you can always go back.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

It is for Da Vinci Jr. 1.0 extruder and E3D clone hotend. As long as it works, it is easy to make adjustment based on your actual hardware. Make sure you make backups before change settings so that you can always go back.

Thank you. My end goal is the E3D Titan Aero, but I haven't ordered it yet. The other parts should be in Monday and Tuesday. With any luck, I will have a working printer by the end of the week :-). I learned the hard way to save the original file under a different name so I can go back, didn't realize compiling it saves the file and there is no "undo" button.

239 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-02-10 21:46:47)

My end goal is the E3D Titan Aero

not cheap but think you will like it,

240 (edited by Khole2012 2019-03-16 06:48:58)

I am down to one issue

Z axis only moves down regardless of which way I tell it to move (tell it move up and it moves down the number of steps told to move up). It operates properly when plugged into the X or Y pins.

edit: the issue was the ramps 1.4 board was bad. After replacing it, everything moves properly, hot end heats up, bed heats up properly, extruder runs (as long as the hot end is hot).

When trying to print the extruder homes properly, then goes all the way past the build plate to the top right corner and then drops the z axis below the plate and gets caught on it. I tested the x axis, homed it, then told it to move 10 mm, it moved almost 18 mm. I have dropped the steeper values to 1/4 of what they were and also tried 4 times higher than they were and seem to get the exact same positioning (over reaching the build plate). I can copy the configuration.h file if that helps? Would I be better off mounting axis max sensors or am i just showing my lack of programming skills?

Khole2012 wrote:

When trying to print the extruder homes properly, then goes all the way past the build plate to the top right corner and then drops the z axis below the plate and gets caught on it. I tested the x axis, homed it, then told it to move 10 mm, it moved almost 18 mm. I have dropped the steeper values to 1/4 of what they were and also tried 4 times higher than they were and seem to get the exact same positioning (over reaching the build plate). I can copy the configuration.h file if that helps? Would I be better off mounting axis max sensors or am i just showing my lack of programming skills?

After more digging and breaking out the expensive tools, I have figured out the X and Y axis move twice as far as told. If asked to move 10mm they move 20mm.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 88, 88, 2560, 155 } is the line I have tried x and y values at 1 and 5000, with no change. Is there somewhere else I should be adjusting them at?

242 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-03-19 11:38:23)

Khole2012 wrote:
Khole2012 wrote:

After more digging and breaking out the expensive tools, I have figured out the X and Y axis move twice as far as told. If asked to move 10mm they move 20mm.

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   { 88, 88, 2560, 155 } is the line I have tried x and y values at 1 and 5000, with no change. Is there somewhere else I should be adjusting them at?

Is the same number of jumpers installed in the same locations under the x and y stepper driver as the z? Turn power off before removing stepper drivers to check.

Also it is never said anywhere but on the initial flash you need to have EEPROM chitchat turned off until you get everything set up the way you want. What happens is when Chit chat is turned on the initial firmware settings are written to the EEPROM and stored. Each time the machine is booted the settings are recalled from the EEPROM. Those settings get priority firmware settings. If you leave Chit Chat off then on your firmware settings will be used.

EEPROM Chitchat is a setting in the firmware towards the bottom pf the configuration.h tab in Arduino.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Is the same number of jumpers installed in the same locations under the x and y stepper driver as the z? Turn power off before removing stepper drivers to check.

Also it is never said anywhere but on the initial flash you need to have EEPROM chitchat turned off until you get everything set up the way you want. What happens is when Chit chat is turned on the initial firmware settings are written to the EEPROM and stored. Each time the machine is booted the settings are recalled from the EEPROM. Those settings get priority firmware settings. If you leave Chit Chat off then on your firmware settings will be used.

EEPROM Chitchat is a setting in the firmware towards the bottom pf the configuration.h tab in Arduino.

A quick update, I have all three jumpers under all 5 drivers, I have swapped the drivers to TMC2208 (with jumpers) and through the code print program (print run on mac, I know it has a different name for PC but it escapes me now) I can send "M92 X80 Y80" and everything will move correctly. If I turn it off, I have to resend the M92 code again or it doubles the X and Y values.

To make sure I understand, should I comment the chit chat line in marlin until It accepts the config.h stepper value lines or is it too late for this board? I can live with sending the M92 code before printing, but I know at some point I will forget that step and it seems to only be a duct tape fix and not permanent.
this is the current EEPROM settings in config.h, would i simply comment the define chitchat line or everything?

// EEPROM
//
// The microcontroller can store settings in the EEPROM, e.g. max velocity...
// M500 - stores parameters in EEPROM
// M501 - reads parameters from EEPROM (if you need reset them after you changed them temporarily).
// M502 - reverts to the default "factory settings".  You still need to store them in EEPROM afterwards if you want to.
//
#define EEPROM_SETTINGS // Enable for M500 and M501 commands
#define DISABLE_M503    // Saves ~2700 bytes of PROGMEM. Disable for release!
#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT   // Give feedback on EEPROM commands. Disable to save PROGMEM.

Side note, the TMC2208 makes the printer so quiet that if the fans weren't running I can only tell it is on by visible movement.

Just comment out those three lines and check your settings. The next time you power up it should pull the firmware settings and not the EEPROM settings.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Just comment out those three lines and check your settings. The next time you power up it should pull the firmware settings and not the EEPROM settings.

After commenting those three lines, reflashing marlin, it now moves properly with out sending the M92 code. Do I now uncomment those lines and reflash or just leave it how it is and be happy with a working printer? I'm only two months behind schedule due to shipping errors.

Khole2012 wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

After commenting those three lines, reflashing marlin, it now moves properly with out sending the M92 code. Do I now uncomment those lines and reflash or just leave it how it is and be happy with a working printer? I'm only two months behind schedule due to shipping errors.

You can just leave it. Not real sure what advantage to having it stored in the firmware is except maybe a failsafe back up. If you where to re-enable it then it should store the new correct settings.

I got it to limp through its first print!!!!! A huge thank you to everyone who helped me get through the programming! Only issue left is it pauses while printing (no errors) it just stops, maintains temps, and sits there. If I hit “pause” then “resume” in printrun (mac) it will resume and do another couple layers before pausing again. I have a feeling it is because my models started in xyzmaker, sliced with slic3r, then run through printrun by usb cable. I’ve seen it’s better to use the sdcard? Anyone have a design program they recommend, I’m currently playing with Rhinoceros trial?

try fusion 360 cloud based  but free for startups and enthusiests.

Khole2012 wrote:

I got it to limp through its first print!!!!! A huge thank you to everyone who helped me get through the programming! Only issue left is it pauses while printing (no errors) it just stops, maintains temps, and sits there. If I hit “pause” then “resume” in printrun (mac) it will resume and do another couple layers before pausing again. I have a feeling it is because my models started in xyzmaker, sliced with slic3r, then run through printrun by usb cable. I’ve seen it’s better to use the sdcard? Anyone have a design program they recommend, I’m currently playing with Rhinoceros trial?

The pausing could also be caused by over heating. When I converted my 1.0 to RAMPS I had to install a fan into the back panel that would blow directly on the RAMPS or it to would pause/lock up.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Khole2012 wrote:

The pausing could also be caused by over heating. When I converted my 1.0 to RAMPS I had to install a fan into the back panel that would blow directly on the RAMPS or it to would pause/lock up.

That is what I originally thought, set a fan to blow directly on the board and it still pauses. I would think anything temp related wouldn’t allow me to instantly restart the print as it will continue printing for another couple layers before pausing again? I really think it is due to the low quality xyzmaker design software.