Re: SD Press - Under the Kimono

Sorry for the lack of posts the last couple days. Been trying to figure out an issue I am having with the Press and Fusion 360. For the Press I've added an extra driver and a couple of FETs. But then I configure the FW for the second extruder, The temp readings jump in the 600s. But on the other hand the extra FETs work and controllable. And the driver works (If I change the stock exuder pins to the breakout pins it works) I ordered a couple boards of both types (FETs only and FETs with headers for an external driver) from OSHPark. 5 of each. Hopefully I can get the FW squared away before they arrive.

As for Fusion 360, The last update cause it to crashes on launch. So I have not been able to tweak and export the models for the filament fan mount. I sent a email to support and got back a "We are aware and working on it' on friday. So hopefully earlier in the week it will get fixed.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

No worries.  I've actually had no time to do anything with my Press for about a week.  I'm taking a couple of classes and they have me swamped with work for the next few weeks.

That's weird about the temperature readings...  The mysteries of the Press motherboard continues.

Dream-Cypher > https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … an%20Mount

Yeah. My goal was to get a Cyclops working with a press. The only two issues I have is placement of the Cyclops itself and the Temp issue. The Fans and the stepper driver work.

At any rate once I get that squared away, I'll release the updated FW via Github. Just have not figure out how to distro the boards (if anyone is even interested in it, No one has said a word about what I have been doing so far. So I am guessing no one wants it/or cares. *Shrug*)

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

MacGyverX wrote:

No one has said a word about what I have been doing so far. So I am guessing no one wants it/or cares. *Shrug*)

No one's purchased a Press mount either. Strange, given all the interest there seemed to be.

Really? Huh.

On thingiverse there has been 138 downloads, 15 likes & 23 collects. 0 Mades. On github (Only the bowden folder) 211 views coming from this forum. 391 from google, 32 internally from github, 11 from thingiverse and 1 from filastruder.com.

The most popular content (Github) is the Bowden, The runner up is the Spool holder I made.

Going back are skimming thru the E3D thread, a couple people asked if there was a kit going to be available.

And the folks that did get the mod working seems like they never came back with a status of any kind (pictures or before and afters). I even asked if anyone had any requests of making the parts better a while back. Nothing.

Sorry elmoret hmm I was hoping it was going to drive some sales for you.

MacGyverX wrote:

Dream-Cypher > https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … an%20Mount

Yeah. My goal was to get a Cyclops working with a press. The only two issues I have is placement of the Cyclops itself and the Temp issue. The Fans and the stepper driver work.

At any rate once I get that squared away, I'll release the updated FW via Github. Just have not figure out how to distro the boards (if anyone is even interested in it, No one has said a word about what I have been doing so far. So I am guessing no one wants it/or cares. *Shrug*)

That seems more like the initial attempt than what you posted here: http://www.soliforum.com/post/90180/#p90180   

Did you have a chance to create an STL for that new design?

I apologize for my absence lately... I have a class that has some major work due this month, and I'm way behind.... I doubt I'll get much chance to try anything before late april. sad

Ah. Sorry, Wrong link.

Here you go > https://github.com/ymilord/Solidoodle-P … 0Press.STL

233 (edited by Dream-Cypher 2015-03-30 05:14:20)

sweet.  I'll try it when I get the opportunity... It may not be for a few weeks, but I really appreciate the work you've done!

Thanks!

I see that says "30mm fan mount".... did you create a 40mm version by chance?  I'll buy a 30mm fan if I need to.

Dave

I should have that made later today. Just waiting for an order to arrive with some 40's in it. I thought I had some, But I had every size but 40mm.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Just wondering, has this fan mount helped? is there a noticable difference with it?

Dream-Cypher, Added the 40 in the same folder on github.

For those wondering what's under the gantry.

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ4B05869F.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ65FF7F00.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ771F7E4E.jpg

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ35097507.jpg

As a side note, I was able to get rid of this front to rear 'bounce' I was getting by hitting the 'springs' with a heat gun and shifting them slightly to apply a little bit more force downward. Then applying a 'heathy' amount of grease. This is not a suggestion as a fix as this is a bit 'dangerous' in the sense if you damage the internal plastic springs your are absolutely screwed. The long term fix is to rebuild and use bearings. But that is going to be challenging. And fun.

shit look at you go, pillow block linear bearings in the background already and all.

Yeah, The game plan is to make a new carriage system (Right now I am thinking all sheet aluminum, but that just depends how everything goes). I have all the parts line up and ready. The first thing I am going to tackle is the Z-Mount. (Mine is drooping pretty bad) I got the final measurements of the 'Z-Block' yesterday. I have a bunch of stuff happening at the homestead this weekend, but I should be able to mill out the plate early next week.

I have enough parts to make 4 complete sets and 10 plates of the replacement Z-Mount. Depending how this goes, And if anyone is interested I'll give the 4 complete sets to beta testers and sell the remaining plates... or something like that. I'll revisit that when I get it mounted and working.

awesome, looking forward to what you end up with.

MacGyverX wrote:

Yeah, The game plan is to make a new carriage system (Right now I am thinking all sheet aluminum, but that just depends how everything goes). I have all the parts line up and ready. The first thing I am going to tackle is the Z-Mount. (Mine is drooping pretty bad) I got the final measurements of the 'Z-Block' yesterday. I have a bunch of stuff happening at the homestead this weekend, but I should be able to mill out the plate early next week.

I have enough parts to make 4 complete sets and 10 plates of the replacement Z-Mount. Depending how this goes, And if anyone is interested I'll give the 4 complete sets to beta testers and sell the remaining plates... or something like that. I'll revisit that when I get it mounted and working.

I would be very interested in a set of those! Would happily pay. Is everything required contained in your set, or would there be any additional parts required?

I'd pay for a set too. After a 17 hour print job I have about 5mm of bounce in the front.

Oh man, I would so love to buy one of those sets, the difference between the front and back of my z axis is to the point where I can't print anything bigger than 4cm without it having issues sticking on the front or back.

iDeNoh wrote:

Oh man, I would so love to buy one of those sets, the difference between the front and back of my z axis is to the point where I can't print anything bigger than 4cm without it having issues sticking on the front or back.

Do you open the door on the printer while printing ? If is not Press, do you have enclosed chamber ?

Fat kids are harder to kidnap!

The completed kit is this (which I only have enough parts to make 4 of) >

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ2F04FE71.jpg

The plate only is this (I have enough aluminum to make 10 of) >

http://mlabs.us/public/ZZ3C524BFE.jpg

The only additional parts would be a set of SCS8UU. Everything else would be harvested from the Press.

I'll start making the prototype on Monday / Tuesday. I'll report back later in the week with pictures and stuff.

247 (edited by Goshdarnit 2015-04-11 21:44:38)

I'd like to go on the list to buy a set please! That looks awesome!

How many of the linear bearings are needed? I'm assuming it's two?

248 (edited by iDeNoh 2015-04-12 13:12:19)

madfalcon81 wrote:
iDeNoh wrote:

Do you open the door on the printer while printing ? If is not Press, do you have enclosed chamber ?

I print with my door closed, sometimes I print with the lid propped up for longer print times, however I control the environment that I print in so no drafts, and it stays pretty much 70-75 degrees in that room at all times. Regardless this happens with the door and lid shut. This is on the press.

If you do end up selling a kit, I would be more than happy to buy/try one out for you, MacGyver.

are you going with a totally different bed mount platform as well?  or will you be using the stock press stuff along with what you posted above?

The carriage above uses the Press' stock platform.