1 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-17 04:21:27)

Topic: Bed Leveling for Beginners

Please note that at the time this was posted a dual head printer that was affordable was unheard of. That being said this is intended for single extruder printers and may not work with dual setups but you are welcome to give it a try for them as well.

I see post after post here about people pulling out their hair over this printers auto bed level system. In my opinion and others as well this system is broken and not reliable at all based on it's measure points. So I have decided to share my process that others use as well with all of you new Da Vinci owners to help save your marriage and life.

You will need to start a print. One of the demo prints is fine. Keep an eye on the printer as you don't want it to start before you are there to take action. As soon as it warms up and begins to print, watch it. As the head moves over the print bed and begins the purge line turn off the power. The purge line is the small line it prints in one direction and then prints longer in the opposite direction. It is used to visually verify a good stick and to get a good flow of filament.

So now the printer is off and the head should be setting over the print bed and you should be able to move the head carefully over any area of the bed by hand. Grab the head towards the top where the filament feeds in to avoid the hot surfaces at the bottom when you do this.

Move the head to the back left corner about an inch (25mm) from the adjusting screw and the back edge of the bed. Lay a piece of standard typing/printer paper on the bed and slide it under the nozzle. Again careful not to get burned . The nozzle will be hot enough to burn you for up to thirty minutes or more. You could also cut the paper down to a strip for easier handling.

Once the paper is under the nozzle adjust the bed height so you can just feel the paper being grabbed by the nozzle as you slide the paper around. Once you do this on the back left, repeat on the back right. Then move to the front middle and repeat there.

Go back to the back left, back right and front again to verify the height is still the same. Tweak if necessary. The adjusters tend to interact with each other. Once you are satisfied with the adjustments manually move the head by hand back to the home position. That is the very back right corner over the white drip pan.

Turn the power on the machine back on and go to the menu on the display and select home all axis. Then run another print. Stay with it this time with your hand on the power switch just in case so you can stop it if it gets snagged up for some reason.

If you followed this procedure and use it on a regular basis you will find leveling much easier and faster. Just remember to always level while the head and bed are hot for the best results. Once again try also not to get burned by the lower portion of the head.

NOTE:

Once you run the procedure DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ever run the built in /automatic process again.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

2 (edited by scobo 2014-11-20 07:53:27)

Re: Bed Leveling for Beginners

Nice post Carl !
I'd just like to add that there is an Android app available on Amazon which will save you a LOT of time with the initial auto calibration. It calculates the amount you need to turn each screw to get a pass with your chosen offset.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Bumping to keep on first page for new owners. Asked to have this made a sticky. Maybe mods missed it or who knows?

Thanks! I was just going to search for this!

Thanks for this it works great. It does need to be at the top of the page.

many thanks Carl, This was a big help.

Posting to say that I decided to get the $30 digital dial gauge at Harbor Freight and printed out a bed leveling design from Thingiverse. It worked pretty well, and is definitely giving me better, more forgiving prints. The only thing I'll note, and this is just me, is that in order for me to actually get these prints, I had to actually make the FRONT of my bed higher than the back. The back seems to print just fine, but the front it just wasn't grabbing properly, even though the entire thing was within +/- 0.1 mm of each other (all 4 corners). I figured this out during my first print afterwards, where the front just didn't catch right. I raised the front a bit (roughly 0.5 mm) and that seemed to make it work perfectly, with very GREAT prints now.

I would highly recommend this to someone.

Also, I used a process similar to what carl describes, except instead of using the paper and print head to set it, I used the dial gauge. The rest of the process was the exact same though.

Thanks Carl! 

My new AIO machine arrived with two of the bed-leveling thumbwheels rattling around loose inside the case and I spent a couple of hours trying to use the printer's built-in calibration without ever achieving a pass.  I then found your suggestions and within five minutes I had a system which prints perfectly.

malcolmct wrote:

Thanks Carl! 

My new AIO machine arrived with two of the bed-leveling thumbwheels rattling around loose inside the case and I spent a couple of hours trying to use the printer's built-in calibration without ever achieving a pass.  I then found your suggestions and within five minutes I had a system which prints perfectly.

Glad to be of help to some.

10 (edited by jjc 2014-12-09 02:59:24)

I have a da vinci duo, and learned the hard way how to calibrate.  I had the same issues - the literature that came with the machine warned me not to calibrate (since it was calibrated at the factory).  Very soon, the extruder(s) were hitting the model and the the nuts started falling off, so I had to learn how to calibrate.

This is a very long post, but I wrote it to help others understand that if you create a repeatable process for yourself,  calibration is a lot less of a hassle, even if what you are doing seems random and or backwards at first.

I created an excel file to remind myself that the three numbers displayed are in order:

Back (right), Right (front) Left (front)

and refer to the corners that the autocal measures in this weird Back, Right, Left sequence.

There are three support nuts - NOT where the corners are,  but in a triangle.  The 'back' nut is really in the middle of the plate! I taught myself to think about the three nuts as:

Back, Right, Left

And associated them in my mind with the three values.

The Back nut is kind of on the diagonal between the left front corner and the back right corner.  So . . . I'll return to that in a moment . . .

I realized the easiest way to think about turning the nuts was that if you put your thumb to the left of a front nut and rotate it to the right until your thumb hits the edge of the plastic surrounding the nut . . . that's about a 1/4 turn.  I think of it as rolling to the right.  I have to 'roll' the left and right nuts, but I can grab and turn the middle nut 'the back nut'...

When I turn the 'back' nut, I position my thumb and forefinger at 45 degrees on the nut (they are now on a line from left to right), and twist it through a 'roll' that puts my fingers on a new line, 90 degrees from the first (they are now on a 'front back line').  This means that I can roll the back nut through a quarter turn, just like the front left and right nut.  It really helped me to turn (roll) all three nuts the same amount.

ROLLING TO THE RIGHT RAISES

I then, through a lot of repeated effort, understood that everything is backwards.

If a number is higher than the target (for the duo the target is 100), then you have to raise the nut associated with that number to lower the number.

To raise the nut, and lower the number you roll the nut to the right.

To lower the nut and raise the number, you roll the nut to the left.

I visualize the plate.  If the number is 90, 100, 90, then the left corner and back corner are at the same height, and are low, meaning that those two corners are closer to the extruder - they are high.  If you can get two numbers close to the same value, you can then concentrate on the other number.

Having a good imagination is crucial to not going crazy over the headache of calibration.

so . . . back to the fact that the 'back nut' is not on the back of the plate.  It's really in the middle of the plate.  It's only 'back' in the sense that it's away from the 'front' of the plate.  - this is where some imagination helps - Picture the plate as having a hinge when you calibrate.  That hinge can be along the front of the plate, or it can be along the diagonal between the left (front) and right (rear) corners. 

It can also be along the diagonal between the right (front) and the left (rear). but most of the time we can ignore that.  All we really need to do is to pair two of the numbers and adjust to bring those two numbers closer together.

Often I'll get a result of 139, 90, 80, meaning the back is low and the front is leaning to the left.  Since 90 and 80 are close, I'll ignore them and work on getting the '139' closer to the other two.  If the right and left numbers are close, then the hinge is along the front edge.  Raising or lowering the back nut will open or close the 'hinge' and affect the third number, while having a minor effect on the other two. Remembering that a larger number means that part of the plate is lower than it should be, I roll the back nut to the right, which will raise the back towards the extruder and decrease the number.  It would have been so much more intuitive for me (on the West Coast of the US) if the numbers followed the direction of the nuts.  The engineers in Taiwan probably find it intuitive just the way it is . . . but whatever.  Culture is different depending on where you are in the world - you just have to live with it.

I used the spreadsheet to keep track of my moves and keep track of the result of the move.

Eventually I put a label on the front of the printer to remind me.

Actually I put two labels on the front with arrows, but I think I'll replace them with the simple statement:

ROLL TO THE RIGHT RAISES

That phrase helps me visualize the bed of the printer.  If I need to raise the back, or a corner, I roll the nut to the right.  If I need to go the other way . . .

There is probably a Chinese phrase that makes perfect sense and associates the movement of a nut to the change in the number.  If I understood Chinese it wouldn't seem backwards to me smile

So instead of getting hung up with the numbers being backwards to the direction of movement of the nuts, I concentrate on translating what they mean.

Back, Right, Left
156     35     90 

means the right corner is too high (relative to the left), and the back of the plate is too low.  The left is sort of close to the target, and I can ignore it for now.  So I'll roll the back nut to the right to raise the back and roll the right nut to the left to lower it.

I found it really helps to have something else to do while calibrating.  I'll start an autocal, go in another room and focus on some small task, then return to the machine when it gets quiet.  Do another round and do some other small task.

This means I get about 15 minutes of work done on something during the 30 minutes I'm calibrating the printer.  Watching TV helps, or watching YouTube.  I can go back to the printer during the commercials, or between videos.

But wait!  Why does the rolling the nut in one direction sometimes appear to have a random result?

There is a spring between the bed and the nuts.  Sometimes when you turn the nut, you turn the spring too.  This creates a movement of the spring end on the surface of the nut or the underside of the bed.  When this happens, you get a result that is totally unexpected.  1 quarter turn typically changes the number by X . . . except when something moves that you didn't want to move (like the spring).  Instead of just compressing it, you turned it and it resulted in an unexpected change in the numbers.  I may introduce a couple of smooth washers into the stack between the nut and spring and the spring and the bed and see if that helps make the movement of the nut more regular.

If it works, I'll post it.

Engineer in the Medical Device Industry, used high end 3D printers, but exploring what can be done with inexpensive printers.  Own a Da Vinci 2.0 Duo

carl_m1968 wrote:

I see post after post here about people pulling out their hair over this printers auto bed level system. In my opinion and others as well this system is broken and not reliable at all. So I have decided to share my process that others use as well with all of you new Da Vinci owners to help save your marriage and life.

. . .

Turn the power on the machine back on and go to the menu on the display and select home all axis. Then run another print. Stay with it this time with your hand on the power switch just in case so you can stop it if it gets snagged up for some reason.

If you followed this procedure and use it on a regular basis you will find leveling much easier and faster. Just remember to always level while the head and bed are hot for the best results. Once again try also not to get burned by the lower portion of the head.

Mods/Admin: Please consider making this a sticky to help out new owners of this great machine.

I wrote my rather long post because when I started, it took me hours to calibrate.  I really don't like applying the glue, and I really, really don't like having a print warp on me because the part didn't stick to the glue . . . more on that in another thread.

But once I understood that the printer has a logical (even if it appears backwards) relationship between the autocal numbers and the nuts (adjustment wheels), I found I train myself to calibrate in just a few cycles, with no printing in between. 

I calibrate every time I print -  (I'll explain why in some other thread) so I found that I really needed to learn the process as XYZ set it up.

'Auto Cal' is really 'Auto Sense' - the calibration process just uses the Auto Cal numbers to report how out of cal the printer is.  Doing this after every print it became clear to me:  The printer goes out of calibration when it prints.  I suspect it's the vibration of the printer shaking the nuts loose.  If they ever sell replacement nuts, I'd put a second set on the shafts to lock the calibration so that it survives printing.

Engineer in the Medical Device Industry, used high end 3D printers, but exploring what can be done with inexpensive printers.  Own a Da Vinci 2.0 Duo

12 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-12-09 03:37:34)

jjc wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I see post after post here about people pulling out their hair over this printers auto bed level system. In my opinion and others as well this system is broken and not reliable at all. So I have decided to share my process that others use as well with all of you new Da Vinci owners to help save your marriage and life.

. . .

Mods/Admin: Please consider making this a sticky to help out new owners of this great machine.

I wrote my rather long post because when I started, it took me hours to calibrate.  I really don't like applying the glue, and I really, really don't like having a print warp on me because the part didn't stick to the glue . . . more on that in another thread.

But once I understood that the printer has a logical (even if it appears backwards) relationship between the autocal numbers and the nuts (adjustment wheels), I found I train myself to calibrate in just a few cycles, with no printing in between. 

I calibrate every time I print -  (I'll explain why in some other thread) so I found that I really needed to learn the process as XYZ set it up.

'Auto Cal' is really 'Auto Sense' - the calibration process just uses the Auto Cal numbers to report how out of cal the printer is.  Doing this after every print it became clear to me:  The printer goes out of calibration when it prints.  I suspect it's the vibration of the printer shaking the nuts loose.  If they ever sell replacement nuts, I'd put a second set on the shafts to lock the calibration so that it survives printing.

All of us that have had the machine for a while and gave up on the auto function all understand what the numbers and what they mean. The issue is though that the range that the machine allows for pass and fail is wrong for correct bed height.

The first issue is that the cal is ran without knowing what layer height you plan to use. Proper bed height should be half or even a third of your layer height. So that is the first flaw. The next issue is the range. If you go to small on the range it will fail and that small range is still too high. Of course if your range goes too high it will fail there as well. The best bed height should be about .1 to .15 for this printer. That is impossible to achieve through the auto cal because it will fail being that low. So that is the next flaw with this feature.

So those two reasons are why I posted this guide months ago. I finally convinced a mod to make it a sticky and that is why you just saw it only after making your long essay.

Forget the factory nuts and print a set of these (created by member scobo)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:526058

You really don't need to use auto cal again once you get a pass. Just calibrate manually straight away as per Carls' post and you're good to go.
I haven't had to level the bed for weeks and first layer is still as good as the last time I levelled.

I second that, the last time I calibrated was to install your replacement adjusters and haven't had to since, that was about a month ago.

16 (edited by jjc 2014-12-11 20:00:21)

Carl mentioned:

All of us that have had the machine for a while and gave up on the auto function all understand what the numbers and what they mean. The issue is though that the range that the machine allows for pass and fail is wrong for correct bed height.

The first issue is that the cal is ran without knowing what layer height you plan to use. Proper bed height should be half or even a third of your layer height. So that is the first flaw. The next issue is the range. If you go to small on the range it will fail and that small range is still too high. Of course if your range goes too high it will fail there as well. The best bed height should be about .1 to .15 for this printer. That is impossible to achieve through the auto cal because it will fail being that low. So that is the next flaw with this feature.

So those two reasons are why I posted this guide months ago. I finally convinced a mod to make it a sticky and that is why you just saw it only after making your long essay.

As a someone who hasn't had my machine for a while, I'm obviously a beginner with this machine.  I'm used to much higher quality machines which are a lot more fire and forget (but are insanely expensive for what they really are). I wrote my essay to address how I gained an understanding of what the numbers mean.  I did that to benefit others who have just found this forum, and might want to stick with the stock process.

I really appreciate your guidance in the two issues you talk about.  Perhaps you can help me understand what the value in parenthesis after a successful 'Cal' represents.  Does that represent the gap between the extruder head and the bed that the software will use during printing?

jjc wrote:

Carl mentioned:

As a someone who hasn't had my machine for a while, I'm obviously a beginner with this machine.  I'm used to much higher quality machines which are a lot more fire and forget (but are insanely expensive for what they really are). I wrote my essay to address how I gained an understanding of what the numbers mean.  I did that to benefit others who have just found this forum, and might want to stick with the stock process.

I really appreciate your guidance in the two issues you talk about.  Perhaps you can help me understand what the value in parenthesis after a successful 'Cal' represents.  Does that represent the gap between the extruder head and the bed that the software will use during printing?

It is my understanding that that value represents the average height between the three values which is a ROUGH estimation of the set height. A value of as 225 would be an actual measurement of .225mm which should be the average distance between the nozzle and bed. Not the newer firmware rounds to the next 5 while the older firmware rounds to the next 10. So your actual measured value could vary as much as .05 to .1 depending on your firmware version. As you see that is a large variance from what you may want and what is actually there. So this is one of the reasons most of us have moved away from the auto cal feature.

18 (edited by mpoffo 2014-12-13 03:33:58)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Thanks for this! 

I am new to 3D printers and the calibration on this printer is finicky.  I tried for 1 1/2 hours last night before giving up.  Then read up on it today and found the online calculators, which where helpful.  When I left off last night I had readings of 144, 186, 239.  It would seem like I was getting random readings at times.  I took the suggestion of some others and cleaned the contact points on the plate with a little acetone as well as the sensor on the extruder.  I did this first tonight and on the first calibration run I came in at 233, 230, 245 without changing anything.

I tried a test print and the key chain thing printed ok but I could tell the head was still too close on the left side.  I then tried a larger print (Coat Hanger for a door) and it would not print correctly.  I remembered reading your advice and did it exactly as indicated and when I was done it printed nice on the first try.

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

Thanks for the post. It took a while to get a pass. But once I did, everything else was pretty straight forward. Time for some fun.

Thanks again.

Da Vinci 1.0A
Simplify3D
Stock FW

20 (edited by jjc 2014-12-14 20:48:14)

mpoffo wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Thanks for this! 

I am new to 3D printers and the calibration on this printer is finicky.  I tried for 1 1/2 hours last night before giving up.  Then read up on it today and found the online calculators, which where helpful.  When I left off last night I had readings of 144, 186, 239.  It would seem like I was getting random readings at times.  I took the suggestion of some others and cleaned the contact points on the plate with a little acetone as well as the sensor on the extruder.  I did this first tonight and on the first calibration run I came in at 233, 230, 245 without changing anything.

I tried a test print and the key chain thing printed ok but I could tell the head was still too close on the left side.  I then tried a larger print (Coat Hanger for a door) and it would not print correctly.  I remembered reading your advice and did it exactly as indicated and when I was done it printed nice on the first try.

I find that the key to not pulling out your hair is to:

• Learn what is really going on

• Multitask while using the stock calibration utility

What is really going on

The different models have different arrangements, but I think the following can be said for all Da Vinci systems.  The print head has a sensor on it.  The Calibration Utility verifies a bunch of stuff, then raises the print head to touch the sensor at three places.  If we've passed high school geometry, then we all know that a plane can be defined by three points in space.  That's what the utility is doing.  It's measuring three points and reporting to the user those three points.  The utility will 'pass' if those three points are within a range.  The Utility then performs some sort of calculation and uses the resu
lt in some fashion.  Only the Da Vinci engineers know for such what that calculation is and how the result is used.

It's not an automatic calibration, the user has to make adjustments.  How you make those adjustments is really weird. That is annoying as hell, but whatever, it is what it is.  You make the adjustments by turning nuts that are on threaded studs at three locations under the print bed.  That the nuts and studs are not in the same location as the points the sensor touches is . . . NUTS!  It make the process really difficult, and it's finicky as well.  The nuts are on a stud and there are springs between the nuts and the bed itself .  .  . which is great, since that protects the print bed from really bad crashes against the print head.  But, the design of the nuts, studs and springs are . . . cheap, just like the printer . . . which is why we bought it . . . so there.

21 (edited by mpoffo 2014-12-14 22:20:13)

jjc wrote:

I find that the key to not pulling out your hair is to:

• Learn what is really going on

• Multitask while using the stock calibration utility

What is really going on

The different models have different arrangements, but I think the following can be said for all Da Vinci systems.  The print head has a sensor on it.  The Calibration Utility verifies a bunch of stuff, then raises the print head to touch the sensor at three places.  If we've passed high school geometry, then we all know that a plane can be defined by three points in space.  That's what the utility is doing.  It's measuring three points and reporting to the user those three points.  The utility will 'pass' if those three points are within a range.  The Utility then performs some sort of calculation and uses the resu
lt in some fashion.  Only the Da Vinci engineers know for such what that calculation is and how the result is used.

It's not an automatic calibration, the user has to make adjustments.  How you make those adjustments is really weird. That is annoying as hell, but whatever, it is what it is.  You make the adjustments by turning nuts that are on threaded studs at three locations under the print bed.  That the nuts and studs are not in the same location as the points the sensor touches is . . . NUTS!  It make the process really difficult, and it's finicky as well.  The nuts are on a stud and there are springs between the nuts and the bed itself .  .  . which is great, since that protects the print bed from really bad crashes against the print head.  But, the design of the nuts, studs and springs are . . . cheap, just like the printer . . . which is why we bought it . . . so there.

Well I had passed the XYZ calibration test eventually prior to doing the "paper" calibration.  Even with a successful pass with their calibration tool it still screwed up the prints so it was not perfect either.  I think the paper technique allows to zero in and fine tune it.

They posted a video on their YouTube site that explains/demonstrates their calibration somewhat.  In particular explaining what the adjustments do to the bed.

youtu.be/jjw9GcyP-JY?list=UU44fpKi7nSP9rW6HZOiS4FQ

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

youtu.be/jjw9GcyP-JY?list=UU44fpKi7nSP9rW6HZOiS4FQ

ah, can you post a link that works?  I searched the XYZ tutorials site and did find a 'heated bed calibration' video, but I'm limited to the English language, and the only one I could find was in some other language.

http://youtu.be/jjw9GcyP-JY

Unfortunately I'm limited to one language and 'Ces trois valeures correspondant au niveau des trios points de mesure" is close . . . but

I think it confirms my thought that "the three values correspond to the three points measured"

I hope I'm not lost in translation

I waisted most of my day trying to figure this out myself. then I found this when I was pulling my hair out. you can not believe how happy I am right now to get this to work. I LOVE YOU.