Re: Bed Leveling for Beginners

Everything assumes you are looking at the machine facing the door. So the door is the front. The numbers on the display for the calibration are from left to right A, B, C. The adjusters on the bed are A = Back right, B= Middle Front, and C= Left Back. The number relate to the space between the nozzle and the bed and represent millimeters in .000 decimal. So 445 would .445mm and 295 would be .295mm. You want to try to get between 250 and 300 on all three numbers.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

there's an app on amazon called davinci calibrator that can make the process pretty simple.  Once you get the bed calibration to pass then use the paper technique above to nail it.

Thank you, that confirms a lot. And much less guessing.
So, basicly are you saying I could take my Digital Caliper and measure the gap in between the head at each of rhe corners, then run an Auto calibration? Using the Caliper to at least get into the ballpark? Then perform step 2 or in this particular case step 3. Right now I think I am way out of wack just guessing how much to turn each nut.
The only thing is that I read here that you must perform the Auto Calibration first, period! Then manully adjust the bed at each corner.
Now, in a final question related to the anove explanation, could i just do the following...
1) a manual step 2 adjustment.
2) turn back on the printer
3) do a home axis set
4) perform an Auto Calibration. When that passes...
5) go back and perform step 2 again making micro adjustments
6) then perform a Home Axis set.

Would that work?

John

carl_m1968 wrote:

Everything assumes you are looking at the machine facing the door. So the door is the front. The numbers on the display for the calibration are from left to right A, B, C. The adjusters on the bed are A = Back right, B= Middle Front, and C= Left Back. The number relate to the space between the nozzle and the bed and represent millimeters in .000 decimal. So 445 would .445mm and 295 would be .295mm. You want to try to get between 250 and 300 on all three numbers.

Yes, would be helpful but you are assuming a am an Android user. I am an Apple and Windows user. I wish this app was made for either of these platforms.
I do love my iPad, do all my designs so far on 123D Design for the iPad, upload to the Cloud, import and save file in the desktop version of 123D, import into Meshmixer for Windows and print in XYZware.
If 123D Design had the iPad Open-in command and Meshmixer was made for the iPad I could almost not need a PC. But now I am getting off topic so I will stop there.

John

rich2335 wrote:

there's an app on amazon called davinci calibrator that can make the process pretty simple.  Once you get the bed calibration to pass then use the paper technique above to nail it.

Hi all,
I finally got the bed Calibrated at 215,215,205. I found an XYZprinting video that shows how the different parts effect each other. They say the order is a - right b - left c - center.
I tried Step 2 adjusting with the sheet of paper. I adjusted some but I can not hear if the head is close enough by the sound of the scratching paper technique. I am a little gun shy to adjust to much after going through all the time to Calibrate. Any thoughts on that?
Another thing, i printed out a test print. It prints great if I use the option to add supports. But will not stick without supports.
Any other thoughts?
Adding auto supports in XYZware adds supports to all parts of the model. Even on the inside of holes . This make it hard to clean out. Is there anyway to add support only to the bottom of the model?

The link to the XYZ Calibration video is below. I think everyone that have not biewed this video should watch it just as another tidbit of information to learn.

http://youtu.be/xTKKcVMo7LU

John

carl_m1968 wrote:

Post's attachments

image.jpg 145.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

image.jpg
image.jpg 97.16 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-02-15 

image.jpg
image.jpg 149.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

image.jpg
image.jpg 151.81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

My printer has been working great, now it starts with the test lines fine but when it goes to print it lifts to high off the table and extrudes filiment in a line off the table. Help.

mooncolony1939 wrote:

My printer has been working great, now it starts with the test lines fine but when it goes to print it lifts to high off the table and extrudes filiment in a line off the table. Help.

Use the procedure at the top of this thread.

58 (edited by jgourd 2015-03-19 16:40:33)

I have to tell you that on a Da Vinci 2.0, the built-in calibration routine yields the best results. I've use the paper method, I've used a feeler gauge and I have used the built-in cal. The most consistent results are with the built-in cal. Your mileage may vary.

jgourd wrote:

I have to tell you that on a Da Vinci 2.0, the built-in calibration routine yields the best results. I've use the paper method, I've used a feeler gauge and I have used the built-in cal. The most consistent results are with the built-in cal. Your mileage may vary.

This method is intended for the 1.0. The others models did not even exist when I made this. If the built in works better on the 2.0 good for them. It still may be an issue if you change layer thickness to very small layers. As ideally your nozzle to bed distance is supposed to be half of your desired layer. A built in function does not know your desired layer height so all it can do is ball park it or make it so small it will not matter.

I have no idea why but running back to back calibrations with out touching anything leaves me very random calibrations

that range between err or 50~150 ... even after a successful 99 - 101 calibration prior

heads are clean I don't see anything jamming the platform

GamingUnleashed wrote:

I have no idea why but running back to back calibrations with out touching anything leaves me very random calibrations

that range between err or 50~150 ... even after a successful 99 - 101 calibration prior

heads are clean I don't see anything jamming the platform

Thats normal for this printer.. Just don't run the auto level. Just start a test print and follow the procedure from that point on. After that, never run auto again.

Hi, just a few words, hopefully helpful. The paper method seems to be the best outcome for the 1.0. I have tried using the dial gauge - shows within 20 microns of each adjustment post & passes. However, it does not give the right gap to print head. So, paper is the go.
I found on the back right edge of the bed, where the contact is, the pad lifts up on the RHS as one tightens the screw. By placing a small shim under the LHS of the same pad, it causes the pad to sit flush again, giving a correct reading in the 'auto' setting.
Have run a temp probe around the bed - seems to be accurate +/- 2 or 3 degrees. I find cleaning the UHU off after each print helps get rid of any greasy marks. Laying a fresh surface of glue works before each print.

I'm at a loss. I use this paper method, get the platform manually level, but when I go to run a print the head is almost 1.25mm above the platform? Use xyzprinting method get the numbers at +235 +241 +236 same thing the head is a long way off the desk!

I have been printing for about 70 hours, without a problem, did not touch anything from new. But recently I have been getting the filament clicking in the head due to the head being sitting hard against the glass. Ss I though it was time to re calibrate.

So has anyone found this issue with the Davinci 1.0A? I can relate to all of you that have been frustrated over this, what appears to be a simple adjustment.

Cheers
Greg.

asho777 wrote:

I'm at a loss. I use this paper method, get the platform manually level, but when I go to run a print the head is almost 1.25mm above the platform? Use xyzprinting method get the numbers at +235 +241 +236 same thing the head is a long way off the desk!

I have been printing for about 70 hours, without a problem, did not touch anything from new. But recently I have been getting the filament clicking in the head due to the head being sitting hard against the glass. Ss I though it was time to re calibrate.

So has anyone found this issue with the Davinci 1.0A? I can relate to all of you that have been frustrated over this, what appears to be a simple adjustment.

Cheers
Greg.

You have an additional z offset being added either by your slicer, start gcode, or actual printer settings or EEPROM settings.

I have and use the given XYZware software, they do not have an editable Z offset field in their software. Many thanks for your reply Carl, have you any idea where I could find this setting. I have used CNC machines before and being able to adjust axises with an offset, would be great.

I found that my best solution, at this time was to setup a test print with four circles in each corner of my platform and a large 5mm wide square around these four circles.

While the actual initial bed layer was laid down, I adjusted the bed height then, on the fly.

This has worked a treat, as now all my prints even after I turn off the printer are perfect. The first layer sticks down onto the glass and it is a very nice width, everywhere on the glass.

I never used any glue while setting all of this up, will be using this method in the future, if I cannot find any Z offsets!

Cheers
Greg.

I have been trying to find the easiest way to calibrate the bed what I found through testing is to take a feeler gauge used in automotive .005 put the printer in a sample file print shut the power off this leaves the nozzle to bed at the correct height then take your feeler gauge and simply go around the bed sliding the gauge under the nozzle until it just fit's with out the bed moving works and is not complicated at all, the problem I found with the paper method was the paper would flex around with the hot bed it was just a little to hot for me hope this helps others to set the bed level to nozzle.

jamerfut wrote:

I have been trying to find the easiest way to calibrate the bed what I found through testing is to take a feeler gauge used in automotive .005 put the printer in a sample file print shut the power off this leaves the nozzle to bed at the correct height then take your feeler gauge and simply go around the bed sliding the gauge under the nozzle until it just fit's with out the bed moving works and is not complicated at all, the problem I found with the paper method was the paper would flex around with the hot bed it was just a little to hot for me hope this helps others to set the bed level to nozzle.

I made this procedure keeping in mind that many owners are not mechanicly inclined, much less own feeler gauges. But are very likely to have a paper printer and access to paper.

If you have a feeler gauge feel free to use one. I use one myself. Although .005 is much to small. .10 or .15 is really where you want to be at.

Carl
Well see i based the gap on the fact that a piece of regular printer paper is .005 i think it would be of great help to other's to have a set of spec's were one could use what ever means they have to set the bed to nozzle gap.
I didn't see a problem after i printed my first piece after setting the .005 gap i may try the larger gap to see what it looks like.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

Do you mean 0.005 inches ?
That would be about 0.12mm, which would make more sense.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Scobo
Yes that is correct expressing decimal to metric it would be .005 = 0.13 MM after I set the bed level to this the part stuck very well and I had no studder stepping from the extruder stepper motor, if there is somewhere on the internet with an actual spec for the bed to nozzle clearence this is what i am going with for now.

Dennis

jamerfut wrote:

Scobo
Yes that is correct expressing decimal to metric it would be .005 = 0.13 MM after I set the bed level to this the part stuck very well and I had no studder stepping from the extruder stepper motor, if there is somewhere on the internet with an actual spec for the bed to nozzle clearence this is what i am going with for now.

Dennis

Well you might want to consider using metric measurements as even though most of us are from the US we use metric. The machine operates using metric and most of the software uses metric so for the sake of being on the same page we all use metric as well. When I said .10 to .15 that was mm as I thought you to where using and .005mm was way too thin.

72 (edited by medic.vince 2015-06-19 10:08:54)

Well I've made adjustments to my DaVinci 1.0 after flashing to Repetier and then calibrating the bed with the auto calibrate function. After spending about 30 minutes of tweeking I got these numbers..... 
http://soliforum.com/i/?mDn8asi.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?0yPqcjy.jpg

This was printed with 0.1mm layer height. I had to set Z-offset to -1 in eeprom and -0.6mm in the slicer printer tab. The tip doesn't hit the glass and I get great 1st layer adhesion to the glass which I use the glue stick. I set the bed temp to 100C and Extruder temp to 230C and I get great prints.
http://soliforum.com/i/?WI4PfPb.jpg

medic.vince wrote:

I set the bed temp to 100C and Extruder temp to 130C and I get great prints.

Extruder at 130°C, really ??
Surely that's a typo ?

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

74 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-06-19 07:25:04)

scobo wrote:
medic.vince wrote:

I set the bed temp to 100C and Extruder temp to 130C and I get great prints.

Extruder at 130°C, really ??
Surely that's a typo ?

I was thinking the same thing, but I was just going to roll with it.   If he is measuring 130 then his thermistor is jacked or he has the wrong table selected. Although judging by the hole in one ear and the other being incomplete he might actually be printing at 130.

This worked perfectly. The auto leveling was annoyingly off its mark. Cheers Carl