Re: Bed Leveling for Beginners

MJAussie360 wrote:

This worked perfectly. The auto leveling was annoyingly off its mark. Cheers Carl

Thanks, glad I could help out some.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Do we still need to get the right calibration before we do the manual? I noticed the 1st thread didnt have that instruction but quotes do. I've been trying the manual and my problem is when I do the keychain demo for da Vinci 1.0. There is always a problem with the Z letter. Like the ABS fell inside or is too thin.

When I do the manual, I do left and right and middle and my gauge is from my understanding of the instruction is to get the paper a little stuck with the nozzle. When I pull the paper it gets stuck, then I move to the next.

You just want to fill a little pull on the paper. You do not need to use the auto method before, you can to get things closer if you understand how the auto method numbers work, but it is not necessary and might even make things worse.

79 (edited by Xandman 2015-08-17 18:12:06)

Does it actually need to put the purge line or I should stop it before it puts the filament on the bed?

Any reason why its always the Letter Z in the XYZ keychain that is somewhat defective?

It is a known issue that the beds on these machines are bowed.. Even if you level the four corners the middle may still be higher or lower than the sides. Try putting the head and paper in the middle during the level steps and see what it looks like. Sometimes you have to try and reach a compromise.

Thanks for the help and tip on calibrating! I'm on my 5th demo print hopefully I got it right this time.

Once you run the procedure DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ever run the built in /automatic process again.

What's the reasoning behind this? I've just been tearing my hair out with the "auto" calibration on my 1.0a, and it seems like a very effective random number generator. I'd like to try the paper gauging method, but fear being able to go back to the "official" method. The reason is I am in the middle of a warranty stoush with my local (Australian) distributor.

83 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-08-20 07:05:03)

splatmanoz wrote:

Once you run the procedure DO NOT I repeat DO NOT ever run the built in /automatic process again.

What's the reasoning behind this? I've just been tearing my hair out with the "auto" calibration on my 1.0a, and it seems like a very effective random number generator. I'd like to try the paper gauging method, but fear being able to go back to the "official" method. The reason is I am in the middle of a warranty stoush with my local (Australian) distributor.

The reason is simple. The official method is broken and does not work. The values it calls pass are all wrong and way too large. You can use the auto method but it will fail and defeat the purpose of using this paper method and getting it right.. Once you play with your printer a while and learn printer logic you will understand what exactly the official method does and looks for. It is not about loosing your warranty, it is simply avoiding using a faulty system.

I simply added and highlighted that line because many where running the auto system after doing this method and then asking why it was failing.

Thank you for the quick reply. So long as there's no danger of damaging the printer, I'm happy.

Ok I just tried this -- ALL of my quality issues have gone away.   This and this alone just saved me a massive amount of time and frustration.

Thank you for developing this trick.   I am going to look for some thin metal spring-sheet it'll last longer and be more consistent than a sheet of paper.

MonoPrice Mini Select,  Orion Delta, HeartlessTech I3 2020, TWO Taz-5,  8 Wanhao Clones
Filistruder (Operational)  (Scanners RMA'd Due To Missing Components)
Benchtop Molding Press,  Arburg All-Arounder IMM,   Bridgeport ProTrac, Monarch 10EE Lathe,  Light Machine CNC Mill & Lathe
(THIS IS JUST MY HALF OF THE WORKSHOP MUAHAHAHAHA)

86 (edited by scobo 2015-08-31 14:18:37)

BurningRingOfFire wrote:

Ok I just tried this -- ALL of my quality issues have gone away.   This and this alone just saved me a massive amount of time and frustration.

Thank you for developing this trick.   I am going to look for some thin metal spring-sheet it'll last longer and be more consistent than a sheet of paper.

And another penny has dropped ......
wink big_smile

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Thanks a lot for this info Carl, i acquired a DaVinci 1.0A last thursday and after 4 prints it was doing crazy things and i decided to give your leveling method a try and it printed what i needed without a problem!

I use this method to Level the BED, the built in calibration is always in a state of 250 ERR ERR. but all of my prints come out great despite what the calibration says.

darkhawk wrote:

Posting to say that I decided to get the $30 digital dial gauge at Harbor Freight and printed out a bed leveling design from Thingiverse. It worked pretty well, and is definitely giving me better, more forgiving prints. The only thing I'll note, and this is just me, is that in order for me to actually get these prints, I had to actually make the FRONT of my bed higher than the back. The back seems to print just fine, but the front it just wasn't grabbing properly, even though the entire thing was within +/- 0.1 mm of each other (all 4 corners). I figured this out during my first print afterwards, where the front just didn't catch right. I raised the front a bit (roughly 0.5 mm) and that seemed to make it work perfectly, with very GREAT prints now.

I would highly recommend this to someone.

Also, I used a process similar to what carl describes, except instead of using the paper and print head to set it, I used the dial gauge. The rest of the process was the exact same though.

Sorry, I'm newbie with the Da Vinci 1.0A and not an English speaker. What is meant with the expression "... but the front it just wasn't grabbing properly..." Grabbing what? How to figure if my printer has the same issue? Thanks in advance.

Great method. Easy and efficient. Just placing the hot end to the distance of the thickness of the paper or the gauge feeler using the leveling screws. Could be more simple?  No.

I have a basic question... what is the ideal gap? You have stablished it about 0.1-0.15 mm. Why?
If those are the magic numbers... why the directions from the user manual of the Da Vinci 1.0 advice to get about 230-260 units from the senso-calibration system (230 such units are 0.23mm as you wrote a couple of times). Why do those engineers say 0.23 mm and you say 0.1 mm?

One final tip: one turn of every leveling screw moves it 0.5 mm in vertical (I measured that 12 coils of their thread take up 6 mm), and that turn is registered as 50 units in the senso-calibration system. So... 230 units aren't 0.230mm but 2.3mm. What is wrong?

Thanks for writing the method and all of your comments.
(And sorry if my English isn't very understandable)

Printing the XYZ keychain from the stock firm I obtain too much gaps, shafts or holes (whatever is said) inside the letters (specially in the Z and X ones), firstly from an "automatic" calibration near the 245 units average (luckily helped by the DaVinci Calibrator app) and secondly from a manual calibration (thank you) with a distance from the hotted bed to the hot end of 0.2 mm.

Are those too empty letters due to the adjusted levels or to other reasons (filament material, temperature...)? (The filament I'm using is that one provided with the printer when bought -white in my case-).

Some advice to get good stuffed letters?

Thanks

92 (edited by scobo 2015-09-25 03:18:10)

As mentioned many times on this forum, the xyz auto cal and it's recommended figures are a pile of tosh, ignore them !
A bed height of 0.23mm will give you issues with the 1st layer not sticking properly and will cause warping or worse.
0.1 or 0.15mm will give a nice "squished" 1st layer and a far better chance of it sticking well.
I still use the glue stick with ABS, particularly with larger prints to ensure a good 1st layer.

93 (edited by Antonious 2015-09-25 08:41:17)

scobo wrote:

As mentioned many times on this forum, the xyz auto cal and it's recommended figures are a pile of tosh, ignore them !
A bed height of 0.23mm will give you issues with the 1st layer not sticking properly and will cause warping or worse.
0.1 or 0.15mm will give a nice "squished" 1st layer and a far better chance of it sticking well.
I still use the glue stick with ABS, particularly with larger prints to ensure a good 1st layer.

Thank you, Scobo. Then are all the people obtaining that demo figures in so bad appearance?

(I'm new with the 3d printing and there is a lot of things I haven't read yet, I'm sorry if I comment or ask about some already discussed topic )

94 (edited by scobo 2015-09-25 09:33:45)

Yes, I would imagine anyone still relying on the auto cal will be tearing their hair out until they discover the manual method.
I struggled with it myself for some time till but have since switched to repetier and always level the bed by eye or with a feeler gauge now.
After a while, you'll be able to judge how well the bed is levelled just by the look of the first layer.
If it doesn't look flat/squashed enough or there are signs of it not sticking, I just stop the print and adjust the bed height accordingly.

95 (edited by Antonious 2015-09-25 12:09:27)

scobo wrote:

Yes, I would imagine anyone still relying on the auto cal will be tearing their hair out until they discover the manual method.
I struggled with it myself for some time till but have since switched to repetier and always level the bed by eye or with a feeler gauge now.
After a while, you'll be able to judge how well the bed is levelled just by the look of the first layer.
If it doesn't look flat/squashed enough or there are signs of it not sticking, I just stop the print and adjust the bed height accordingly.

Well... Actually I was asking if the keychain in the building option of the printer is always (by every user that try it) printed with the gaps and holes I obtain it with although the calibration is well done (manual).

Might be a good idea to start a new thread then if you're not asking about bed levelling. wink

97 (edited by Antonious 2015-09-25 21:37:03)

scobo wrote:

Might be a good idea to start a new thread then if you're not asking about bed levelling. wink

I'm asking about bed leveling. wink

It's clear I'm triying to know the way the bed leveling affects the printings. I leveled my bed and I printed the demo keychain of the Da Vinci 1.0A, first time with auto calibration (that built-in one) and second time with manual leveling (the way explained in this thread). The two cases resulted in a very ugly keychain, so, logically, I'm interested in knowing what was wrong, that is, if these results are directly associated with leveling/calibration.

Actually the question was an extension of previous comments in which I was asking the reason to pointing at 0.1-0.15 mm as the best adjust and discussing a bit about the relationship between the units displayed by the Da Vinci when autocalibrating and the milimeters.

The quality issue you are having is due to bad filament. Around here it is fairly common knowledge that the white filament shipped with most Da Vinci printers is garbage. For testing your printers current quality output I would go to your nearest Microcenter or order on line a cartridge of natural filament. It has no pigments or colorants to affect its quailty.

The level of the bed will only affect the adhesion and thickness of your first layer. It has no affects on things like gaps and voids in the infill and inside the print as viewed from overhead.

carl_m1968 wrote:

The quality issue you are having is due to bad filament. Around here it is fairly common knowledge that the white filament shipped with most Da Vinci printers is garbage. For testing your printers current quality output I would go to your nearest Microcenter or order on line a cartridge of natural filament. It has no pigments or colorants to affect its quailty.

The level of the bed will only affect the adhesion and thickness of your first layer. It has no affects on things like gaps and voids in the infill and inside the print as viewed from overhead.

Just the first layer... that was my impression, right now confirmed.

(Now a bit off-topic, I'm sorry. I had read some time ago about the low quality of the white ABS filament from XYZ and my suspicion was that it was the problem with the very ugly printed demo keychain, but... well, my third printing was a simple design of mine and the result has been quite nice. If you agree that white XYZ's ABS is bad... then... wow, very good things are going to come when other filaments are used)

Thank you Carl, beginners like me need people like you and the other ones providing help.

Antonious wrote:
scobo wrote:

I'm asking about bed leveling. wink

It's clear I'm triying to know the way the bed leveling affects the printings. I leveled my bed and I printed the demo keychain of the Da Vinci 1.0A, first time with auto calibration (that built-in one) and second time with manual leveling (the way explained in this thread). The two cases resulted in a very ugly keychain, so, logically, I'm interested in knowing what was wrong, that is, if these results are directly associated with leveling/calibration.

Actually the question was an extension of previous comments in which I was asking the reason to pointing at 0.1-0.15 mm as the best adjust and discussing a bit about the relationship between the units displayed by the Da Vinci when autocalibrating and the milimeters.

Ok, I'm with you now. I wasn't clear on what you meant by "gaps and holes".
Carl's right, bed levelling won't cause that but a poorly levelled bed will cause warping especially with larger prints and square or rectangular shapes.