Re: E3D on Da Vinci

I am working on a write up for future users on how to do this mod. It really is pretty simple, but can get confusing at points.

How did you make out with your X axis?
Were you able to free it up?

103 (edited by browning54213 2014-12-08 21:58:09)

sigmaz_1 wrote:

How did you make out with your X axis?
Were you able to free it up?

Yea, I got it now, and as usual it was user error.... I had a small piece of plastic that got wedged between the linear rail and the carriage. I was so sleep deprived last night there was no way I was thinking clearly.

104 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-09 16:22:51)

It just dawned on me that I never posted the first finished print of my manifold.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/10348232_10203715323579098_9214460035926994215_n.jpg

There are a few different versions here, but the differences are minor.

105 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-09 19:53:27)

Yes it's a custom manifold and is going to be a lost PLA casting.

It's for my little guy.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Facebook/Cover%20Photos/405704_2824038075590_1791928291_n.jpg

Dude, your door is on backwards. smile

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

sigmaz_1 wrote:

Yes it's a custom manifold and is going to be a lost PLA casting.

It's for my little guy.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Facebook/Cover%20Photos/405704_2824038075590_1791928291_n.jpg

That's awesome I love mini cars haha! I hadn't thought too much about casting but I may want to try it in the future. I have been making a lot of parts for my vehicle as well but it is not so mini tongue

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6aqcMDwdLJQ/VDHdwD76-4I/AAAAAAAAJEM/eIRtMCUGyn8/s766-Ut/IMG_0237-20.JPG

108 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-10 19:00:22)

browning54213 wrote:

That's awesome I love mini cars haha! I hadn't thought too much about casting but I may want to try it in the future. I have been making a lot of parts for my vehicle as well but it is not so mini tongue

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6aqcMDwdLJQ/VDHdwD76-4I/AAAAAAAAJEM/eIRtMCUGyn8/s766-Ut/IMG_0237-20.JPG

Nice rig man.. I'm a jeep guy myself.. but there is plenty of room on the trials for all breeds.
Tell ya what, It's great to be able to produce things that are nonexistent or difficult to obtain.

Ahhhhh, The satisfaction of being able to create something....

ggunners wrote:

Dude, your door is on backwards. smile

Hah! Yeah, if they weren't you wouldn't be able to get into the car.

Ugh. Been super busy with life and work and stuff!

So, finally got around to ordering the required bearings and such to finish installing my e3D. Should be here next week along with some more filament(s). So I'll get back to this then. I'll hopefully also have a nice long writeup to do about it as well.

Cool man! Keep up the good work..

I'm actually switching over to a Bowden setup myself right now so I'm waiting for bearings as well.

sigmaz_1 wrote:

Cool man! Keep up the good work..

I'm actually switching over to a Bowden setup myself right now so I'm waiting for bearings as well.

What carriage design are you going with? I found a neat one over on Voltivo forums that I have really been thinking about going with. I don't know if I would want to go bowden though because I hear that there is a lot of ooze?

112 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-11 21:30:42)

The carriage I'm using is on voltivo. Andy drew it up.. actually he just released a version at my request to use LM8 bearings instead of 8x12x20 oilite.

This one...just printed it last night.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Davinci%20Mods/20141211_065809_zpspaw5tbpe.jpg

The oozing can be controlled by setting up proper retraction.
It takes a little more tweaking but it shouldn't ooze any more than the direct drive once dialed in.

There is a special version of airtrippers Bowden extruder tweaked for ninjaflex too..
I'll be trying that combo out.

sigmaz_1 wrote:

The carriage I'm using is on voltivo. Andy drew it up.. actually he just released a version at my request to use LM8 bearings instead of 8x12x20 oilite.

It takes a little more tweaking but it shouldn't ooze any more than the direct drive once dialed in.

There is a special version of airtrippers Bowden extruder tweaked for ninjaflex too..

I just saw your post over there haha nice! I really like that design after I am back up and running I may print it and try to go bowden as well. I think the LM8 design is going to work nicely as well. Do we know what bushinings he was using in his fist one that he had up though?

114 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-11 21:39:19)

The Factory DaVinci bushings are 8x12x.... I think 12?
Although not oilite they should work with his oilite carriage version.

He was/is using 8x12x20 oilite

sigmaz_1 wrote:

The Factory DaVinci bushings are 8x12x.... I think 12?
Although not oilite they should work with his oilite carriage version.

He was/is using 8x12x20 oilite

K gotcha I was just curious I have a bunch of LM8UU bearings coming in the mail so I will probably end up using those, but if they were junk by chance I would want some kind of a spare.

What material did you print that carriage in? ABS? It looks awesome! I can't wait to get my E3D up and running!

Actually that red is cheapo amazon PLA

sigmaz_1 wrote:

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Davinci%20Mods/20141211_065809_zpspaw5tbpe.jpg

Is there a link to the STL for this model..?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

It's on another forum and I'm not sure how cross posting rules work.
Not on thingiverse.

But there are enough clues in the last couple of posts to figure out how to get it and where.

It's a mystery! tongue

sigmaz_1 wrote:

Actually that red is cheapo amazon PLA

Are you worried about the PLA creeping on you during heat cycles? I don't know your level on material engineering, but creep gets worse at elevated temps and since PLA melts at such a low temp you may have some issues with it.

Here is a wikipedia link about creep in engineering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28deformation%29

My first carriage will be from ABS, but I will end up printing myself a 618 nylon carriage at some point.

121 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-12 00:08:38)

Nah, the E3D v6 runs so cool I'm not too worried about it.
I have run long jobs and touched the barrel of the cool side and its not even warm.
My hot end fan is always on when the printer is on so I'm not too worried about it.
Valid concern though

I may reprint it in ABS in the future if I get into hotter filaments because of the cabinet temps may exceed the limits of the pla  carriage thermal tolerances.
But even then I'm not sure if the ambient cabinet temps will be enough to sag it.

But yeah.. I may remake itnin ABS but it stinks sooooooo bad..

sigmaz_1 wrote:

Nah, the E3D v6 runs so cool I'm not too worried about it.
I have run long jobs and touched the barrel of the cool side and its not even warm.
My hot end fan is always on when the printer is on so I'm not too worried about it.
Valid concern though

I may reprint it in ABS in the future if I get into hotter filaments because of the cabinet temps may exceed the limits of the pla  carriage thermal tolerances.
But even then I'm not sure if the ambient cabinet temps will be enough to sag it.

But yeah.. I may remake itnin ABS but it stinks sooooooo bad..

haha I like abs, and if you print with it enough you don't notice the smell anymore really lol. I just know that my cabinet gets quite warm, but that is with a blanket over it so that my abs doesn't deform so it would probably be okay as you said. I was more concerned about cabinet temps anyway than the actual radiation from the hotend.

Once you start using PLA and get good quality its hard to go back to ABS .
But some materials are better for some applications and dictate their useage.

Its nice to have options and the E3D gives us that.

124 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-12 03:24:56)

Thanks to a members question I realized that I should clarify that I'm NOT switching from Toms Design to Andy's Bowden design because of any shortcomings of Toms design.

I happened to briefly mention my switching in this thread not realizing it would take off in another direction.

This thread is for Tom's design and AJWoot's contribution as well.

I run Toms carriage every day with 0 issue and I'm thrilled with the way it's improved my printers ability.

Tom put a lot of time and effort into it's design and I applaud him for his work and for helping those of us with little or no 3d modelling skills by creating and sharing this design.

The main reason I'm printing the Bowden setup is simply so you don't have to. 
I want to test it out and see if the reduced weight on the carriage will allow me to increase my print speeds.

That's all..  It's just so I can satisfy my curiosity and also maybe offer some advice for anyone that may want to try it in the future or are wondering what the differences, benefits, and disadvantages are between the two styles in this particular printer.

Again, Toms carriage is an awesome and I would say mandatory upgrade for the DaVinci 1.0.

Without it I would never have been able to get quality like this....

(printed at .2)
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Davinci%20Mods/20141211_210044_zpsvidwnw5k.jpg

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Davinci%20Mods/20141211_204309_zps1ddm130n.jpg

Sure  you can see the layers.. but keep in mind.. it takes 5 of them to make 1mm.. thats real tight!

Had I not upgraded, my prints would still look like this crap.
It looks as if it was extruded with a toothpaste tube or a piping bag..

https://chicochic.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/03684-img_6089.jpg

Look around on Thingiverse, some of those prints are even more hideous compared to this mess.

The E3Dv6 takes this machine up to and in my opinion, in some situations above Makerbot quality.

If you want prints that you can be proud to show people, It's a worth while upgrade.

125 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-12 12:39:13)

Still not into Toms mod?

How about the ability to print at .05?

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sigmaz/Davinci%20Mods/20141212_073347_zpsumqsyo0l.jpg

You can easily see the top (first) layer is .35mm thick and then the rest are .05mm (I'm holding this upside down from how it was on the bed.) That's 20 layers per 1 mm of thickness!

The minor ripples you see on the right are probably because my X-axis belt tension spring is not fastened.

This section we are viewing is only 22mm wide so this is an extreme closeup.