Topic: E3D on Da Vinci

I think my nozzle may be ruined... Does anyone know if it is possible to use the E3D-v6 hotend on the Da Vinci, or can I purchase a new stock nozzle/hotend somehow?

Re: E3D on Da Vinci

I've seen pricing in one thread for a new hotend, but what do you mean by ruined? If it just won't heat, there is a known problem with the connector. If you broke off the wires to the thermistor or the cartridge, both can be bought and replaced.

3 (edited by UnderXenon 2014-09-07 12:07:41)

Thanks for the response.

I think I was a little too aggressive in an attempt to unclog the nozzle; I used increasingly larger drill bits to clean out the plastic and fear that I may have made scratches in the metal.

Here is a video of the load filament function, the plastic comes out lumpy and uneven (I have used various spools of filament with the same results).

youtube.com/watch?v=Bea9BrdncGk

The first attachment is a print with the filament in this condition: it is rough, brittle, and is inaccurate. The second attachment is what prints looked like before the clog.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Post's attachments

20140907_032211.jpg 1.41 mb, 3 downloads since 2014-09-07 

20140907_033222.jpg
20140907_033222.jpg 1.23 mb, 2 downloads since 2014-09-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I have never had my nozzle clog at all, but I do clean it from time to time by soaking the head in acetone for about 12 hours.  If you get a clog, you should be able to use the same method to dissolve the plastic instead of using  a drill bit...for future reference.

When you soak the head in acetone do you remove the nozzle from the silver barrel or leave it attached? Also, do you remove the heater and thermistor or is their wiring safe to be submerged?

DaVinci 1.0 w/ repetier firmware, Andy's Carriage, E3D V6, Filastruder #1956, Filawinder

For future reference, the easiest way to unclog a nozzle is to hit it briefly with a propane torch (after removing it from the machine). The plastic cooks off in about three seconds with nothing left but a puff of ash. If you don't have a torch, you should be able to pick one up at any hardware store for under $15.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your replacement nozzle question on which ones are interchangable with others. You can find lots of them offered on Amazon for not too much money. While they aren't standardized, there aren't too many different styles. You might pick up a couple different types to see which one fits, or contact customer service to see if they are able to recommend a replacement.

Thanks again for the responses.

I tried the acetone bath and torch methods to ensure the lumpy extrusions weren't being caused by a partial clog; the resulting -- very clean -- nozzle yielded no improvements over the what is shown in the video in my previous post.

I discovered that all of my filament had absorbed a lot of water. After baking the filament in the oven at 180°F for a couple of hours I was pleased to see that the filament was coming out much smoother:

youtube.com/watch?v=rL5f4GZPNak

While I can now print things again with much higher success, I am still very interested to know if anyone has successfully replaced the nozzle with an e3d or managed to find a compatible replacement.

UnderXenon wrote:

Thanks again for the responses.

I tried the acetone bath and torch methods to ensure the lumpy extrusions weren't being caused by a partial clog; the resulting -- very clean -- nozzle yielded no improvements over the what is shown in the video in my previous post.

I discovered that all of my filament had absorbed a lot of water. After baking the filament in the oven at 180°F for a couple of hours I was pleased to see that the filament was coming out much smoother:

youtube.com/watch?v=rL5f4GZPNak

While I can now print things again with much higher success, I am still very interested to know if anyone has successfully replaced the nozzle with an e3d or managed to find a compatible replacement.

I have no experience with the DaVinci Printers but I do know my way around the E3d's and have designed or redesigned most of the mounts the SD users are utilizing.  I would be willing to help design something for the DaVinci crowd if you'd be willing to feed me pictures and measurements.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Hey, UnderXenon, what a coinincidence! I have not YET replaced my DaVinci's hotend with the e3d v6, but my e3d is in the mail as we speak. I've done a tone of research and tinkering with my davinci to come to the conclusion that I will be able to successfully replace davinci's hotend with a e3d. The only problem I have left is figuring how I am going to add an additional 12v fan for PLA cooling( The e3d comes with a 12v fan to cool down the e3d itself, I want to take the stock davinci 5v fan and use that to cool my pla prints and leave the 12v  fan to cool the e3d). The reason I want to replace my hotend is because: I can swap tips so I'm no longer constrained to just 0.4mm. The Bigger reason is, however, to print in flexible filaments and nylon. No matter how many adaptors I've made or settings I've tweaked, I just cannot get the stock davinci hotend to print my spools of ninjaflex, polyflex, or nylon for more than 5 minutes before it fails. In order to do this, you need to be a bit competent in 3D modeling. Once I get my e3d, I will model a housing for it that will be printed with the davinci hotend.  Then I will remove the davinci hotend and replace it with my e3d and it's housing.

Unlocked DaVinci 1.0 w/ E3Dv6 Direct Extruder

wardjr wrote:

I have no experience with the DaVinci Printers but I do know my way around the E3d's and have designed or redesigned most of the mounts the SD users are utilizing.  I would be willing to help design something for the DaVinci crowd if you'd be willing to feed me pictures and measurements.

That is certainly something that I can do, I appreciate you being so generous with your time. I will begin taking measurements and pictures.

tforsythe51 wrote:

Hey, UnderXenon, what a coinincidence! I have not YET replaced my DaVinci's hotend with the e3d v6, but my e3d is in the mail as we speak. I've done a tone of research and tinkering with my davinci to come to the conclusion that I will be able to successfully replace davinci's hotend with a e3d. The only problem I have left is figuring how I am going to add an additional 12v fan for PLA cooling( The e3d comes with a 12v fan to cool down the e3d itself, I want to take the stock davinci 5v fan and use that to cool my pla prints and leave the 12v  fan to cool the e3d). The reason I want to replace my hotend is because: I can swap tips so I'm no longer constrained to just 0.4mm. The Bigger reason is, however, to print in flexible filaments and nylon. No matter how many adaptors I've made or settings I've tweaked, I just cannot get the stock davinci hotend to print my spools of ninjaflex, polyflex, or nylon for more than 5 minutes before it fails. In order to do this, you need to be a bit competent in 3D modeling. Once I get my e3d, I will model a housing for it that will be printed with the davinci hotend.  Then I will remove the davinci hotend and replace it with my e3d and it's housing.

I am glad to hear that someone with a Da Vinci is already in the process of attempting this. I am sure there are many of us that would be interested to learn from your experiences installing the new hotend; keep us posted if you find the time.

11 (edited by tforsythe51 2014-09-20 22:07:11)

Okay, so I've just had my first real success today with printing tualman bridge nylon and ninjaflex today on the e3D/DaVinci combo. I'll upload all the stl files and pictures  of what I've built. I know I got it right when I was printing ninjaflex when I didnt notice that the head was slammed against the bed and printing the skirts. I lowered the screws real quick and the ninjaflex just came out fine.

EDIT: How do I add pics?

Second edit: Hmm, soliforum wont let me post bbc links as instructed above.

h_ttp://i.imgur.c_om/8vMyrZU.jpg
h_ttp://i.imgur.c_om/Vl0iYg5.jpg
h_ttp://i.imgur.c_om/MT1Rw3n.jpg

12 (edited by tforsythe51 2014-09-20 22:00:44)

Um, So Once I figure out how to upload files and pics, I was wondering if anyone wants to help with my existing e3d X-axis carrage mount. Once of the reasons I picked the e3D was so I could get the 0.25 and 0.6 interchangeable nozzles. Right now, my stepper is attached to the x carrage mount via abs-dissolving cyanacrylate super glue and tie wraps. Also, I got rid of the factory x-carrage bronze bushings in place of linear bearings with speed cream. Plans are in place  to replace y axis bronze bushings with linear bearings. Anyways, I'm not too sure about how to build a system where I can remove the hot end so I can change the nozzles. I won't try changing it straight from the x-carrage because I did that with a socket wrench and pliers and my clusmy hands made the thermistor blow.

You can add pictures by starting an account at imgur.com
Once you upload pics, select which one you want to post, highlight and copy the code "for forums" and simply paste into the message box.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

tforsythe51 wrote:

Okay, so I've just had my first real success today with printing tualman bridge nylon and ninjaflex today on the e3D/DaVinci combo. I'll upload all the stl files and pictures  of what I've built. I know I got it right when I was printing ninjaflex when I didnt notice that the head was slammed against the bed and printing the skirts. I lowered the screws real quick and the ninjaflex just came out fine.

EDIT: How do I add pics?

Second edit: Hmm, soliforum wont let me post bbc links as instructed above.

h_ttp://i.imgur.c_om/8vMyrZU.jpg
h_ttp://i.imgur.c_om/Vl0iYg5.jpg
h_ttp://i.imgur.c_om/MT1Rw3n.jpg

There is a minimum number of posts before links and such work

http://i.imgur.com/8vMyrZU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Vl0iYg5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MT1Rw3n.jpg

Thank you Avenger for posting those images! Until I gain image posting rights, ill just do  what i did. I have the original autodesk  .ipt file of all  parts, let me know what format I need to export it to. Oh yeah, and how would I post those files?

tforsythe51 wrote:

Thank you Avenger for posting those images! Until I gain image posting rights, ill just do  what i did. I have the original autodesk  .ipt file of all  parts, let me know what format I need to export it to. Oh yeah, and how would I post those files?

I'm not really sure what kind of format people might need to match your work. There is a "choose file" button that eventually shows up when you write a post, but your probably better off to link to a file hosting source if the files are of any size. If you have no file hosting available, I'd be happy to put it on my Pogoplug and give you a public link. It wouldn't be fast downloads, but the thing does always work.

You definitely need a duct on that heatsink fan. Its not optional.

Okay, I'm printing out a 40mm fan duct as we speak. Thank you elmoret for the warning. So I figure I'll just link all my .stl files on thingiverse and If anyone needs another file type, they can PM me and I'll be happy to work something out.

Okay, so here is the very rough housing I designed that is currently being used: htt_p://w_ww.thingiverse.c_om/thing:473038
I used four LM8UU linear bearings in place of the brass bushings. That thingiverse link also contains the stl for the e3d to stepper motor mount.

I used this thingiverse design: h_ttp://w_ww.thingiverse.c_om/thing:15718 for attaching the 623z idler and spring.

I've been throwing around some ideas for how I'm going to be able to design a housing to remove the e3d so I can change nozzles, any ideas to get me started?

Hey Tom,

Any update on the E3D nozzle? I'm interested in printing with ninjaflex

Hey Chris, I have been working non-stop on perfecting attaching the E3D to the da vinci to print ninjaflex/nylon. I have v2 of my part files on thingiverse. I would not recommend downloading those files as of now since I am almost ready to upload v3 which is much better in design/stability/ease of putting together. I'm at work right now so I'll upload the files and instructions on putting the thing together on thingiverse when I get home as soon as I finish the fan duct. I've been able to do a 2hr ninjaflex print at 30mm/sec (the max recommended speed) with no issues.

That's a great upgrade there, but how will you find out the table level, after removing the original unit with the probe on it ?

Okay, so I've been mucking around with the firmware, I was able to successfully change the max temp of the DaVinci, but thats another story. So I'm going to begin taking pictures of everything so others can do this. In response to pedro, I have hated da vinci's "auto" calibration feature and get better results leveling it by eye.

Okay  guys, V3 .stl files and pictures are up on thingiverse. I WILL post detailed instructions when I wake up, but I've been up for 24 hours straight and won't be able to correctly convey my thoughts. In the mean time, if any 3D printing pro's want to look over my work and give me some critique, that'd be very much appreciated. On another note, does anyone know how to change thermistor values using the Arduino IDE environment? I bought these thermistors: htt_p://smile.amazon.co_m/gp/product/B00GD471PO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 since my stock da vinci thermistor broke. I found the section in the configuration.h files where the thermistor table is, but I have no idea how to generate a new table despite a good 4 hours of research. I've been using these thermistors with the stock davinci table and I know  that is a horrible idea.

Thanks for all your hard work Tom!

I can't wait to see what you've come up with next.