Re: E3D on Da Vinci

I sent a message to the people at Filastruder and he was perplexed by what I explained. I sent him some pictures showing everything (including some zoomed in photos of the threads on both the heatbreak and the heatsink), as well as showing some of the aluminum flecks (shavings, whatever you'd like to call it, but it wasn't HUGE like shavings would be, flecks is probably more appropriate) in between the threads on both the heatbreak and the heatsink.

Hopefully it was just threaded incorrectly and he'll allow me to return it for parts that should assemble properly. I could take it to work and fix the threads on the heatsink if I wanted to, but I really don't feel I should have to given the price of it.

I really can't wait to start using the e3D though....I really want a bit more preciseness that this should offer (using the 0.25mm nozzle that I ordered).

I guess the next question really is if I use the 0.25mm nozzle, does this mean that I need to change the settings in repetier for the extruder motor? I want to say that it does, since it means that at 0.25mm it should be using 62.5% of the filament that would be used at 0.4mm, right? Or am I wrong in my thinking?

AFAIK Whichever slicing program you use, you will want to tell it the size nozzle you are using.
The tool paths should adjust to properly cover the area.
I'm interested to see what you gain in resolution.
.2 zaxis layers on the .4 nozzle is pretty darn tight.
I haven't done any .1 yet.  But with that tiny nozzle I wonder how the top&bottom surfaces will look as well 

Super fine.

My main problem is I have a few things that don't print properly as it stands with 0.4mm. So I'm hoping that by dropping that to 0.25 it will make more possible.

But we'll see I suppose.

darkhawk wrote:

I sent a message to the people at Filastruder and he was perplexed by what I explained. I sent him some pictures showing everything (including some zoomed in photos of the threads on both the heatbreak and the heatsink), as well as showing some of the aluminum flecks (shavings, whatever you'd like to call it, but it wasn't HUGE like shavings would be, flecks is probably more appropriate) in between the threads on both the heatbreak and the heatsink.

Hopefully it was just threaded incorrectly and he'll allow me to return it for parts that should assemble properly. I could take it to work and fix the threads on the heatsink if I wanted to, but I really don't feel I should have to given the price of it.

I agree that you shouldn't have to re-thread anything! We'll get it sorted out.

elmoret wrote:

I agree that you shouldn't have to re-thread anything! We'll get it sorted out.

Awesome! I appreciate the help! ☺

Just posting to say that @elmoret is awesome!
I'll be returning the parts that are giving me trouble.

I cannot recommend him enough. Service like this really shows a commitment to his customers, something that is SERIOUSLY lacking in the consumer industry as a whole.

Thank you very much again.

This thread just dies.  Crazy.

I got the new heatsink, heatbreak, and heater block today in the mail. Everything goes together MUCH MUCH easier than previously. I would almost say it's slightly too loose to be honest, but I'm sure it's fine.

Kids are still awake, so I can't put it together yet, but I'm sure later tonight I will.

Thanks again Elmo!

Probably won't actually get around to installing the e3D until the weekend at the earliest.

I remember the threads are real easy to turn but once you lock the heat break with the nozzle the hot end tightens right up. 
Just be real careful with it everything about this v6 is very delicate.

Follow the build instructions to the T and you'll be alright.

I can't wait to see how it works out for you.

Yup. I can't wait to finish building it and install it. Will probably take a little bit since I need to order some bearings yet too.

But I can't wait to see the results.

Yuck!

I ran out of Blue Jet PLA so I ordered a new roll but this time in green.

wouldn't you know it.. the darn spool is wider so now I need to print a new hanger..
All I have is the same orange stuff I made my carriage with.

I've been running PLA for so long now I forgot how horrible ABS smells.

Add another tick to the Pro's column for this mod.

Hi,

I'am thinking about doing the conversion to e3d, I'am just wondering if it only works with repetier firmware or would it also work with stock?

88 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-01 17:07:34)

For best results repetier is pretty much a prerequisite for this mod .

The stock firmware will be looking for the IR sensors that detect filament loaded and filament feed error.
Plus the e3d head sits 20mm or so lower so the programmed homing stuff could be a little wonky.
However if you e-tape the loaded sensors and install the z-axis spacer those issues may be avoided.
I haven't tried with stock f/w so I can't say how well it can handle the update.

The repetier f/w can also benefit those running stock components.
Your print quality and control will be greatly increased with just updating the f/w.

I highly recommend the f/w update.
It's much less invasive than a full blown hardware mod especially if you're just trying to tweak your machine a little.

I assume we run 12V for our hotend supply correct? I want to order my e3d today. Does anyone have the setup info for the thermoresistor table in the firmware?

I am planning on mounting the e3d using AJwoot's technique because less 3d parts means less tolerance stack up and hopefully better prints.

Yes we run 12 volts for the hotend and 5 to the fan. The E3D has a 12 volt fan so you will need to tap 12volts from the power supply.  As for the thermistor, it should be the same 100K standard as the stock is so the table should not need to be changed. Since you will be switching to Repetier firmware it has an autocal for the thermistors to adjust the PID automatically as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

91 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-03 00:05:19)

What he said.
Lol

Although I'm not sure if either mounting method is better than the other when it comes to quality of print.

However the full carriage replacement benefits from full linear bearings opposed to the stock bushings so rigitity in the X axis is improved in that respect.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Yes we run 12 volts for the hotend and 5 to the fan. The E3D has a 12 volt fan so you will need to tap 12volts from the power supply.  As for the thermistor, it should be the same 100K standard as the stock is so the table should not need to be changed. Since you will be switching to Repetier firmware it has an autocal for the thermistors to adjust the PID automatically as well.

K thanks for that. I am on Repetier now so that is good to hear that it will be automatic.

I guess my last question is can I still use the z probe system with the e3d hotend even though it is sans z probe nipple?

browning54213 wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

K thanks for that. I am on Repetier now so that is good to hear that it will be automatic.

I guess my last question is can I still use the z probe system with the e3d hotend even though it is sans z probe nipple?

At this time the auto bed height calibration function is not implemented in Repetier firmware.  There is also no way of detecting bed height now once the original head is removed. Just use the manual method. It is more reliable and accurate. I have been using Rep host and firmware for about a month now.  If you get the newer host, dont use the cura slicer engine unless you print from the SD CARD. For some reason when printing through USB on  file sliced by the enternal cura slicer the printer will just freeze and lose logic control. Your temps will keep rising as it is no longer monitoring or controlling them. If you are not around when this happens it can be a problem. It caused the middle of my print bed to bow on the plastic part. The glass is still level but there is a bow. So steer clear of that internal slicer till somebody figures out what the cause is.

Its a shame to as I really like the Cura infills top and bottom layers. I cant get any other slicer to do it the way cura does.

Ok I can live with that I guess. It's not terrible to hand level it, just takes a bit longer. I am going to order the hot end now. Will keep you posted on my progress!

Lol. No way man.
Manual levelling shouldn't take more than a minute to do.

The stock leveling routine takes forever each pass and only once it ends do you get any clue of how far off it is usually only to have to run it again.

browning54213 wrote:

Ok I can live with that I guess. It's not terrible to hand level it, just takes a bit longer. I am going to order the hot end now. Will keep you posted on my progress!

With the manual method, once the system is heated only takes me two minutes tops. Move the head to left back, adjust gap, move to front, adjust gap, move to back right, adjust gap, and you are done. The manual method for me on this printer is by far faster than any auto method even on high end Maketbots.

carl_m1968 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:

With the manual method, once the system is heated only takes me two minutes tops. Move the head to left back, adjust gap, move to front, adjust gap, move to back right, adjust gap, and you are done. The manual method for me on this printer is by far faster than any auto method even on high end Maketbots.

haha ok cool! I am just about to order this hot end, but am curious if is should get the Bowden version just to have the PTFE tubing around since it is only a couple bucks more? Is there anything different between the two models or does one just come with a connector and some tubing?

98 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-03 02:53:15)

This mod requires the Bowden model.

The PTFE tube runs into the unit right to the heat break.

sigmaz_1 wrote:

This mod requires the Bowden model.

The PTFE tube runs into the unit right to the heat break.

Perfect lol I had just ordered the one with the bowden addon

I think I warped my x axis rails slightly today when I got overzealous while working on the printer. The x-axis barely slides now so it looks like I will not be doing ajwoot's technique for mounting since my carriage is screwed. I just pray that the new carriage with the linear bearings vs the bushings will work. If not IDK what I am going to do, throw it out of the window possible the options are endless haha.