Re: E3D on Da Vinci

Offhand, did you have to replace the Z axis in order to allow the 0.05mm layers? I can't remember if I read somewhere that in order to do that you needed to replace it. Just wondering, that's all.

127 (edited by browning54213 2014-12-14 21:49:43)

darkhawk wrote:

Offhand, did you have to replace the Z axis in order to allow the 0.05mm layers? I can't remember if I read somewhere that in order to do that you needed to replace it. Just wondering, that's all.

You shouldn't have to, but the z axis on the davinci is not that accurate so it may be a nominal .05mm and would measure between .1mm and say .02mm. Basically a hardware limitation that causes the z banding that is fairly prevalent in davinci prints.

128 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-14 21:56:04)

I didn't replace the screw,  but I did remove and straighten a few bends out of it when I first started playing with this machine.

My machine was a demo unit so it's early life wasn't all that easy.

another thing that could help get this accuracy is adding a flexy coupler to the z axis screw.

I shipped my hot end to my folks place so I wouldn't be distracted for finals. They lost it....

Doh!!!

sigmaz_1 wrote:

Doh!!!

Pretty much my exact reaction lol

Anyone have experience with an extruder gear like the Mk 8( http://airtripper.com/1676/3d-printer-e … benchmark/ )? It seems like it would work better with the smooth bearing used as an idler roller due to increased surface area. I'm thinking about ordering one but was wondering if anyone has experience with the different types of gears.

DaVinci 1.0 w/ repetier firmware, Andy's Carriage, E3D V6, Filastruder #1956, Filawinder

I haven't had any experience with that particular gear. 
But I have had some experience ruining steppers trying to remove gears.
Since the gear on the DaVinci extruder doesn't have any set screws one would assume it's epoxied on or something.
Trying to rip it off may cause the central shaft to be extracted from the armature.

Be warned.

Good point. I just zoomed in on the uploaded pictures. Didn't notice a set screw and it also looks like the axis rod may be an odd size. I wonder if the idler in the davince with the grooved center depression can be used as the idler bearing for an E3d mount?

DaVinci 1.0 w/ repetier firmware, Andy's Carriage, E3D V6, Filastruder #1956, Filawinder

136 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-16 02:48:50)

I'm running this mod and use the little 623z skate bearing recommended with the mk7 idler.
Go to page 3 and you'll see the details.

Hi,

I now have just about all the parts I need to make the e3d conversion (still waiting for some bearings). I managed to switch to Repertere firmware but now I have a question about it. So when I install the e3d I probably have to make some changes to the firmware configuration? Does this mean reflashing the firmware again on can the changes be made to the current firmware install? I'am really new to this firmware so any info would be appreciated. Currently I'am using luc's 0.92 repertere install.

138 (edited by carl_m1968 2014-12-17 07:41:55)

arturnoole163 wrote:

Hi,

I now have just about all the parts I need to make the e3d conversion (still waiting for some bearings). I managed to switch to Repertere firmware but now I have a question about it. So when I install the e3d I probably have to make some changes to the firmware configuration? Does this mean reflashing the firmware again on can the changes be made to the current firmware install? I'am really new to this firmware so any info would be appreciated. Currently I'am using luc's 0.92 repertere install.

To make changes unless they can be done through the EEPROM configuration you have to open the firmware in Adruino make the changes, then compile/verify and upload it to your board.  The only change I see that needs to be made form my observation and future update is the bed home setting which will be much lower due to the increased length of the E3D. I was simply planning to use a piece of electrical tape stuck on the mack or the bed support where it goes in to the home end stop. The tape would extend the height of that back piece to compensate for the added length of the head.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

There is a z-axis home extension in the printed parts included to address this very issue.
It's the long rectangular iitem.

Ok, I know it's a bit stupid question but where does it exactly go (z-axis extension)? All the pictures I have seen in this thread are without it.

141 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-17 14:41:05)

The z-axis sensor is removed from the frame and attached to the extension.
The extension is then aligned and super glued or hot glued into position where the sensor was located.

I however used an alternate method of dropping the Z- home position.

To do this, I changed the Z-axis home in my machines eeprom to 0...

Homed the machine and then jogged the Z to where it just cleared the tip of the hot end.

I then took the displayed value (20.23 in my case) and entered it as a negative value (-20.23) into the eeprom Z-axis home field in the EEPROM.

I then leveled the bed with the thumb screws to just rub a thin business card and called it good.

But with this method you need to be certain to home X first to prevent crashes.

I would use sigmaz method if I were you. The Z-home extender is great until your bed tries to drop all the way to -210 that the firmware says it can go to when you actually only have ~180mm of travel. Just a thought. I would really consider changing the values in the EEPROM or using sigmaz method.

143 (edited by sigmaz_1 2014-12-17 16:51:46)

browning54213 wrote:

I would use sigmaz method if I were you. The Z-home extender is great until your bed tries to drop all the way to -210 that the firmware says it can go to when you actually only have ~180mm of travel. Just a thought. I would really consider changing the values in the EEPROM or using sigmaz method.

Good Point.. I hadn't thought about that..
Yeah the Z will drop all the way down and the nut will retract out of the build platform.

When it tries to home the next time the nut may simply spin freely and not lift the build plate,
If it does go back up it may not properly re-seat in it's pocket and that could also be a problem because if during a print it turns and finally aligns with it's spot, The build plate will abruptly drop 10+ mm ruining the print.

144 (edited by arturnoole163 2014-12-17 17:30:16)

sigmaz_1 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:

Good Point.. I hadn't thought about that..
Yeah the Z will drop all the way down and the nut will retract out of the build platform.

When it tries to home the next time the nut may simply spin freely and not lift the build plate,
If it does go back up it may not properly re-seat in it's pocket and that could also be a problem because if during a print it turns and finally aligns with it's spot, The build plate will abruptly drop 10+ mm ruining the print.

I will keep all that in mind once I will get around installing the e3d. This week has been all about switching from stock firmware to Repeater and getting to know it. So far I'am amazed, with Reperter the printer is much quieter and the quality is much better as well.

Yeah repetier is amazing. I think I was on XYZware for a total of 2 prints before I got frustrated and switched lol.

Just posting to say that I've finally gotten everything except for the random screws and such I'll need (probably hit up Lowes or something to get them).

At this point, I have most of the parts modified to fit together properly. Everything looks good, so since I have off from work for the next week, it's time to work on this a bit.

Judging by the down sides of the current mounting method, I think once I get this working I'll probably work on making a setup that doesn't have the loss of z height in printing.

Do we know who designed the original found here? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:473038

It would certainly be easier to start with this base and modify it, but I'm not sure what was used to generate the files. Anyone have any ideas?

That's toms design. He was in this thread a month ago but hasn't returned in a bit.
I do not know what software suite he used. Solidworks, sketchup, tinkercad....

148 (edited by bryan 2014-12-21 03:26:18)

My da Vinci 2.0 is still completely stock and I'm just about to start upgrading it. I received the E3D v6 (Bowden) and hopefully I'll have time to do the upgrade in the next week or two. I just ordered the 623 and LM8UU bearings.

Has this been done on a da Vinci 2.0? Sorry if I missed it, but if it exists can someone point me to the files I need to print to keep the two nozzles at the same elevation? Last I saw the 2.0 mentioned was in October.

When you guys refer to the MK7 idler, do you mean the 623 bearing? Are you using the original extruder gear that's glued onto the stepper motor? Is the MK7 or MK8 a recommended extruder gear upgrade? I don't want to be limited in material selection. Outside of this thread, I haven't seen much about the MK7 on da Vinci. Any threads I should read?

Thanks!

No one as far as I know has created a 2.0 carriage.
I'm about to embark on this during my holidays over the next few weeks - finally.
I aim to keep the rightmost stock extruder, and install the e3dv6.
The problem I found after removing the stock carriage is there is a metal frame that holds both steppers.  I don't want to have to cut it in half - so will try to devise a solution that uses only plastic.
I'm also not sure if there will be too much heat from parts that will affect the plastic negatively.

will soon see

Great. I can help with part modeling. I work in Inventor every day. If you want to talk details (probably faster than typing posts sometimes), you can call me at 995-1988, 509 area code.