1 (edited by hairu526 2014-08-17 14:16:05)

Topic: Printable Turntable Laser Scanner

I'm a long time viewer of this forum but a first time poster. A few months ago I started a project to create a printable 3D laser scanner because it sounded fun :-)   The projects starting to gain some maturity so I figured it was time to share it with you guys.  All of the plastic parts were designed in OpenSCAD and printed on my Solidoodle 2.  All of the software runs on the Raspberry Pi, PC communication occurs over HTTP (web browser).  It currently outputs PLY, STL, and XYZ.

The printed laser scanner itself.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/photo3-1.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/photo1-1.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/photo2-1.jpg

The raw output of a scan by just the right side laser.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/Screenshotfrom2014-08-13181646.png

Photo 5 - Close up with vertex colors applied.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/Screenshotfrom2014-08-13181809.png

Photo 6 - Zoomed out with vertex colors.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/Screenshotfrom2014-08-13182823.png

Photo 7 - Final mesh after merging a second scan to capture the top and bottom of the skull, and then applying the Poisson filter in Meshlab.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/Screenshotfrom2014-08-13181946.png

Photo 8 - Final mesh in Blender.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/Screenshotfrom2014-08-13181342.png

Re: Printable Turntable Laser Scanner

Did you write the software as well?  What's happening on the breadboard, stepper driver for the turntable?

IanJohnson wrote:

Did you write the software as well?  What's happening on the breadboard, stepper driver for the turntable?

All of the software was written by me aside for several supporting libraries (libpng, libwiringPi, libraspicam, etc).

The Raspberry Pi communicates with an A4988 stepper driver with 16x microstepping in order to drive a 0.9 degree stepper motor with a very high level of accuracy.  It signals a laser on/off by using a darlington array to more or less act like a relay.  The camera board takes a picture of the laser on and off and the raspberry pi detects the laser pixels from the resulting image.  Since the internal camera parameters are know and the laser plane is known from the initial calibration, the raspberry pi is able to project a ray into the scene to intersect the laser plane and give us a 3D location.  This location is then rotated by the amount that the steppers have rotated the table.  This produces a very nice point cloud.

I just have a dumb simple meshing algorithm implemented right now so I'm using MeshLab to reconstruct the results with Poisson until a I have a chance to implment one that can run on the Raspberry Pi in a reasonable amount of time.

nice work

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

wire10ga wrote:

nice work

Thanks.

That's super cool - looks like the difficult bit now is turning the point cloud into a mesh!
I note you use two lasers: are these used to speed up the scan?
Depending on how you feel about it, opening up your software source onto something like github could be the start of something huge! Would love to try this out one day; I have a few spare stepper drivers and bits and pieces lying around!

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

grob wrote:

That's super cool - looks like the difficult bit now is turning the point cloud into a mesh!
I note you use two lasers: are these used to speed up the scan?
Depending on how you feel about it, opening up your software source onto something like github could be the start of something huge! Would love to try this out one day; I have a few spare stepper drivers and bits and pieces lying around!

Thanks! The second laser helps with areas that are occluded from the first laser and where the angle between the laser and the object surface is close to parallel.  If there is enough interest I plan on opening the source and hardware design.

If you publish it somewhere the interest will appear.  It's basically the Makerbot scanner without a $1500 price tag.  I doubt they would feature it on Thingiverse, but if you publish it somewhere like Youmagine or Github and tell people about it there should be people making it and possibly improving it.  I think there would be enthusiasm just fro the RPi-based scanner aspect.

hairu526 wrote:

If there is enough interest I plan on opening the source and hardware design.

+10 big_smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

grob wrote:
hairu526 wrote:

If there is enough interest I plan on opening the source and hardware design.

+10 big_smile

+100 big_smile how can we help?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I am very interested in this as well. I just ordered up some blue line lasers and a HD webcam to play around with the David scanner system. Trying to wrap my head around how this form of 3D scanning works so I can improve upon it.

In my research, the blue lasers were recommended for the narrower beam being able to pick up finer details. I will be experimenting with macro lenses and filters on the webcam as well. Limiting the depth of field and filtering out the wavelengths outside of the laser seems like it would make a huge difference. Am I way off base there?

Very cool. What was your final BOM cost?

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Retroplayer wrote:

I am very interested in this as well. I just ordered up some blue line lasers and a HD webcam to play around with the David scanner system. Trying to wrap my head around how this form of 3D scanning works so I can improve upon it.

In my research, the blue lasers were recommended for the narrower beam being able to pick up finer details. I will be experimenting with macro lenses and filters on the webcam as well. Limiting the depth of field and filtering out the wavelengths outside of the laser seems like it would make a huge difference. Am I way off base there?

Nope, you're right on.  However, although a blue laser has a shorter wavelength than a red one but that doesn't necessarily mean it has a narrower beam.  You should check the beam divergence value listed in the specs for your laser.  However, you will get more energy in a green or blue beam than a red laser.  This makes it great for scanning but also makes it a lot more dangerous.  Make sure you take the necessary safety precautions if you're using a high powered blue laser!  A macro lens should be great for picking up detail but you'll need a way to correct the lens distortion.  David scanner may have support for this already but I'm not sure.  Lens distortion correction is pretty high up on my "Scanner TODO" list. :-)

DePartedPrinter wrote:

Very cool. What was your final BOM cost?

It's hard to say.  I would guess somewhere around $150 if it wasn't for shipping and minimum order quanties on some of the parts.  Once you add those in the cost goes up.  If theres enough demand to justify the cost, I'll design a motherboard, have it manufactured, buy the parts in bulk, and sell kits to keep your costs down.

hairu526 wrote:
Retroplayer wrote:

Nope, you're right on.  However, although a blue laser has a shorter wavelength than a red one but that doesn't necessarily mean it has a narrower beam.  You should check the beam divergence value listed in the specs for your laser.  However, you will get more energy in a green or blue beam than a red laser.  This makes it great for scanning but also makes it a lot more dangerous.  Make sure you take the necessary safety precautions if you're using a high powered blue laser!  A macro lens should be great for picking up detail but you'll need a way to correct the lens distortion.  David scanner may have support for this already but I'm not sure.  Lens distortion correction is pretty high up on my "Scanner TODO" list. :-)

It's not too "high powered", only 5mW (I am not planning to stare into it or at the reflected beams!) it has an adjustable (sorta) lens. I bought it from Aziz lasers. I will have to ask about the divergence since I don't see that listed.

As far as the macro lens, I will be looking for 1:1 macro (really just an extension tube) and bigger diameter than the camera lens to fight some of the distortion.

Great Idea   If you get set up to produce count me in   Great Work

SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

slimstar2 wrote:

Great Idea   If you get set up to produce count me in   Great Work

Thanks.  I'll keep you posted.

This is what the user interface looks like for starting/retrieving a scan....

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/Screenshotfrom2014-08-13190054.png

Thanks for posting the project.  Also thank you for using a Raspberry PI with the Raspberry PI Camera.  A full up linux system with video is VERY usefull.  I happen to have about 10 Pi's and 4 cameras laying around so IF you put the project up I will come.  You might also want to post this project on the Rpi's forum and see what kind of results there are.

Bob

what res camera are you using? must be more than MBs 1.3MP. I am wanting a scanner that can scan details like an N scale vehicle (1:160th) for printing so I can convert my other items currently molding etc to STL format and dont want to pay more for scanner than Printer

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

This is very cool! good job, If you decide to do put kits together that would be awesome, and count me in.
could always use more rpi projects.

This makes me want to find more things I need scanned smile
Well done!

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

n2ri wrote:

what res camera are you using? must be more than MBs 1.3MP. I am wanting a scanner that can scan details like an N scale vehicle (1:160th) for printing so I can convert my other items currently molding etc to STL format and dont want to pay more for scanner than Printer

I'm using the "official" Raspberry Pi camera which is a 5MP camera but the skull scan above was taken at just 1.2MP (for faster scanning).  Also, the above scan was taken with 800 steps but the scanner can do 6400 steps (1/16 microstepping @ 0.9 degrees/step).  However, more steps doesn't necessarily equate to more detail if the bottleneck becomes the laser quality.  But since it will be an open system, you have the flexibility of upgrading the lasers if your project requires it.  I would imagine that as-is it would work well for the vehicle models you're describing but I haven't tested anything like that yet.  If you post a picture/link of a typical vehicle I'll see what I can find and do a test scan.

bout only thing you may find at local hobby shop would be like these below as many have stopped production or mail order only.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. … esN/page/3

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I just had some prototype PCB's made at a very decent price.  Haven't tested them out yet though.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g274/hairu526/photo.jpg