Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

link to your new printer leonmf?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

link to your new printer leonmf?

I bought a Boots Industries Delta.  By the time you factor in exchange rates and shipping, it's a wash.
http://bootsindustries.com/shop/biv2/

Relative pros for SD:

• 12x12x12 build volume is bigger than 12Dx12H

• Non-bowden construction better for flexible filament

• Fully assembled

Relative pros for BI Delta:

• Delta construction has theoretical advantages

• SD Card and LCD

• Bowden construction should be faster speeds

• Part cooling fans x2

• (This is the big one): It is obvious by reading their blog posts and looking at their design that they've put a huge ton of work into refining the design for reliability and quality.  Something SD might have done for this round but previous rounds left a lot to be desired and the lack of real world info on the new models has me skeptical.

• J-Head hot ends, which means I can retrofit a pair of Pico hot ends when I get around to it.

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

I heard Deltas cant do the low microns details of non deltas

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

So.. Still no official photos of the new printers on the SD page. Just a bunch on 3D Renders. You'd think they'd give the folks that basically give up cash before seeing the actual product a bone (or two). Yeah they uploaded a couple ~20sec videos on Facebook. But by now I was expecting a full demo of all three units. Maybe a 'Setup Guide' or something. Anything.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

n2ri wrote:

Where'd you hear that? This came off a delta:

http://i.imgur.com/HsrG5xO.jpg

Quality seems pretty good to me.

MacGyverX wrote:

So.. Still no official photos of the new printers on the SD page. Just a bunch on 3D Renders. You'd think they'd give the folks that basically give up cash before seeing the actual product a bone (or two). Yeah they uploaded a couple ~20sec videos on Facebook. But by now I was expecting a full demo of all three units. Maybe a 'Setup Guide' or something. Anything.

Requested a cancellation of my Press today. Sorry Solidoodle.

357 (edited by leonmf 2014-10-22 18:25:21)

n2ri wrote:

It is true that there is variable accuracy throughout the range of motion on a Delta.  Very fine details could be a problem on a delta but for a printer with a print volume of this size, I'm looking to create larger objects and not fine details on the sub 0.1mm level.

Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

heres hoping this sends enough of a message for SD to get thumb out of ass. I would agree that the lack of actual photographs on solidoodle sight is a complete joke.

they said nearly a week ago they were " working on" a q/a session and not heard back from my suggestion of them throwing a bone and releasing as design for a fan for the press and WB series.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

359 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-22 18:38:33)

what about tiny prints like N scale cars etc? every 3D printer comparison site always rates Deltas between 100-300 microns max fine detail quality. thats why I didnt get one of the top brands when it was cheaper than Solidoodle. seemed Deltas are just good for larger prints needing more build platform area. but thats mostly in the vertical plane also. and several early models had weak arms and either could jam or wiggle at outsides of build area. I always thought they had a better use of design with less moving parts on separate planes (base is stationary). I would like to see pics of like one of the 1:200th scale Tanks by Bergman on thingaverse done on a Delta. same for scanners, show how acurate scanner can be on details down to .1mm so we can see what limits of use are. basic shapes can be measured and made in software. scanners should be able to do better faster to be worth investing in.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I still like the original pics/design specs shown and advertised of the workbench series but have lost faith in Solidoodle ever delivering "as promised"

guess I need to find how to Mod my SD2 into a 6x6x6 Apprentice.

leonmf wrote:
n2ri wrote:

It is true that there is variable accuracy throughout the range of motion on a Delta.  Very fine details could be a problem on a delta but for a printer with a print volume of this size, I'm looking to create larger objects and not fine details on the sub 0.1mm level.

Resolution varies throughout, sure. No printer is limited by its theoretical resolution, though - things like flexibility and backlash are an order of magnitude more important.

There are three important concepts:

Resolution
Repeatability
Accuracy

Those three words represent three different things, and are not interchangeable.

n2ri wrote:

what about tiny prints like N scale cars etc? every 3D printer comparison site always rates Deltas between 100-300 microns max fine detail quality.

Microns of what? Accuracy? Resolution? Repeatbility? Layer height?

Here's a delta printing at 50 micron layer heights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKCLc-VkeA

There is no reason deltas cannot meet or exceed the level of detail of a Cartesian printer. At the end of the day you're still squeezing plastic through a 250 micron hole, so you can't have features ("details") smaller than that.

BerryBot3D = Awesome

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

very nice resolution there Elmor. I too always believed each printer can very depending on several factors. that video is very reassuring on Delta printers capabilities. are there any Deltas with duel extruders and part cooling fans? that's the main features I would like to have. I always thought Deltas where cool also in the way you can have filament spools on top feeding down so not to waste work area space since most of us have limited shop room anyway.

n2ri wrote:

are there any Deltas with duel extruders and part cooling fans? that's the main features I would like to have

2 is childs play, all over SeeMeCNC's forum. Here's 4 extruders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI11RKB28po

Part fans are trivial, just design and print appropriate ducts.

not interested in dif colors. just want wash away support material in 2nd extruder

im tierd that sd not taking us seriosly i want the press printer to print detailed object in both abs and pla "before IT ships" and show us the new software !!!!.... sad   we dont know anything more than a fue 20sec movies

Hello All,

This is our latest update for the shipping time.

Greetings Solidoodle Customers

Thank you again for ordering a Solidoodle Press. We have been taking every measure to make sure the printer you receive lives up to your expectations.

At this time, we are making some modifications to the machine based on our findings from the extensive tests we have been conducting on our first production run. We believe that taking the extra time to deliver an exceptional product is necessary. As a result, Solidoodle Press printers will now begin shipping by December 5th and we are doing everything we can to ship earlier.

We are so sorry for this delay and the inconvenience that it has caused you. If you would like to cancel your order, you can do so without penalty, but we ask that you please be patient a little while longer. We promise that it will be worth the wait. Should you wish to cancel, please visit [support.solidoodle.com] (support.solidoodle.com) and our customer support team will help you.

We are so proud of the Solidoodle Press and believe it is the best consumer printer on the market. We sincerely appreciate your patience during these delays - we have a great product and we know you'll enjoy your printer once you get it.

We will be providing ongoing updates on the printer, videos, and information on our SoliPrint software on our Facebook.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sam Cervantes
CEO

Former Solidoodle employee

370 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-10-23 20:36:52)

So, You waited till the end of the month to announce this? Come on guys. (You as in Solidoodle as a company)

MacGyverX wrote:

So, You waited till the end of the month to announce this? Come on guys. (You as in Solidoodle as a company)

One of the many awesome things I learned from the owner of my company: "You know you're going to be late to the meeting before you get there, let the client know when you know."

It seems to be appropriate here.

Wow. Nearly 3 months after announcing the new models, shipping is being kicked back yet again.
I don't speak for everyone, and I did not purchase any of the new Doodles, but you should have kept these behind closed doors for those 3 months instead of getting people's hopes up and excited to wait for any real details.
On my side of the fence, I'm glad I didn't order one after watching this thread.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

First post for me here, i am totally bummed out about this sad

Wondering if they will try and compensate by possibly giving the early adopters some extra filament?

AZERATE wrote:

Wow. Nearly 3 months after announcing the new models, shipping is being kicked back yet again.
I don't speak for everyone, and I did not purchase any of the new Doodles, but you should have kept these behind closed doors for those 3 months instead of getting people's hopes up and excited to wait for any real details.

Not just hopes, but dollars.

AZERATE wrote:

On my side of the fence, I'm glad I didn't order one after watching this thread.

Cancelled mine today.

"We will be providing ongoing updates" SOoo... thats what they call this? never saw this definition in my Webster desktop dictionary. ;^/