Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

got impatient so ordered a second hand robo r1. in a weird way i prefer buying 2nd hand printers now as all the kinks get worked out by previous owner ( especially if its been modded)

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

got impatient so ordered a second hand robo r1. in a weird way i prefer buying 2nd hand printers now as all the kinks get worked out by previous owner ( especially if its been modded)

I've got a kickstarter Robo3D.  Aside from the plastic frame, the z carraiges, motors and belts, there is nothing original about it.  It was another case of a new 3D printer company coming up with 90% of a good design and then modifying it on the fly to meet cost targets and shipment schedules.  They made some significant missteps with the drawer rail Y axis, poor cooling, etc.  However, I think they've done a decent job of fixing most of those issues in the new stuff.  The current R1 gen is pretty solid.

Fortunately, if you have problems with your printer, there is pretty decent community support.

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

leonmf wrote:
proctor_richard wrote:

I've got a kickstarter Robo3D.  Aside from the plastic frame, the z carraiges, motors and belts, there is nothing original about it.  It was another case of a new 3D printer company coming up with 90% of a good design and then modifying it on the fly to meet cost targets and shipment schedules.  They made some significant missteps with the drawer rail Y axis, poor cooling, etc.  However, I think they've done a decent job of fixing most of those issues in the new stuff.  The current R1 gen is pretty solid.

Fortunately, if you have problems with your printer, there is pretty decent community support.

how can you tell the difference between a kickstartered and r1 build?

proctor_richard wrote:

how can you tell the difference between a kickstartered and r1 build?

The kickstarter (and early production) units had drawer rails for the Y axis rather than smooth rod and the bed was fixed to the drawer rails.  Later models have a removable glass bed on magnets.  If you got one with drawer rails, I would seriously consider printing my smooth rod replacement (and tweaking for a better bearing fit).

Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

Is anyone at the NY Comic con? Solidoodle have a booth there; would be good if we can find out any updates

There's a (brief) video of the apprentice in action posted on their facebook page

milks wrote:

Is anyone at the NY Comic con? Solidoodle have a booth there; would be good if we can find out any updates

There's a (brief) video of the apprentice in action posted on their facebook page

I'll probably be at our booth at some point tomorrow and over the weekend. Come on over to booth 126 to say hi and check out the new printers. We should have all three on display. I'll see if I can get some pictures or videos for you guys.

Former Solidoodle employee

soliryan wrote:

I'll see if I can get some pictures or videos for you guys.

Please do, it will help ease tensions others are having here.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

yes its like a virtual riot here hehe ;^P

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

soliryan wrote:
milks wrote:

I'll probably be at our booth at some point tomorrow and over the weekend. Come on over to booth 126 to say hi and check out the new printers. We should have all three on display. I'll see if I can get some pictures or videos for you guys.

you can ease my pain at whether the press has a extruder fan for cooling PLA

335 (edited by mwille 2014-10-12 06:59:29)

Hello, I'm new to 3D printing and am looking for some advice. 

I'm trying to decide between the SD4 and the new Press models for my first printer.  I've read this entire thread, so I know the new models still haven't shipped yet & that the new estimated ship date will begin Oct 30.  But after all the research I've done on "Kickstarter" 3D printer companies, I'm a little concerned about the missed shipping window & continued 6-8 week wait time on new pre-orders. 

So, I guess what I'm asking is if the new SD Press is worth the "risk" (or wait) to get the auto-leveling feature.  Is the SD4 a good enough machine, or do you think that the new features listed will improve some of the issues with it?  I know nobody has actually been able to use the new model yet, but I'm sure most of you understand their basic design and/or possible issues better than I do.

Bottom Line: SD4 vs. Press - any thoughts?

SD Press
Modeling software: 123D Design

Was anyone able to get any pictures from the NYC Comicon? I am curious too see if there were any changes to the printers since Markerfaire NYC.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

SD posted a couple videos on their Facebook.
Odd they would share them here as well hmm

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Ah. Don't really use facebook, But I found the video's you were referring too. The WB & the WBA looks the same as they did at Makerfaire NYC. And it doesn't look like the Press was there at all.

Curious to know what issue happen that delayed all three printers. If they were having an specific issue with the Press, You'd think they'd just focus on the WB & WBA since they are pretty much based on a existing design. Unless the issue is with the company they are using to FAB  the 'new Solidoodle designed' controllers/mcu's. (In which they said that is new in all three printers.)

At first I was thinking maybe it was the manufacture that was making the custom spools for the Press. But that has no effect on the WB & WBA as they can use standard spools. The 'custom' PCB's is the only thing that ties the three printers together.

*Shrug* Unfortunately this is something that we will never know what the cause is. So we can just speculate and hope that the updated projected deadline/shipping is correct and on point.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

also maybe having issues getting the Press plastic housings. why dont they have all parts on the display printers that they supposedly come with? like cooling fans at extruder tips etc. or give details on same and type of hot ends, motherboards...

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

So guys I just found out about the press extruder...

There is NO fan so this thing is useless. I am seriously considering pulling my whole order. How on EARTH can you claim that the printer works with pla with no fan.

This is borderline false advertising.

So the press will not be suitable for anything other than abs.

I'm pretty pissed of at this point

It is not out yet, pehaps it have one at that time, or option for one...  you allready have a SD2 to play with, think of os there dont own one :-)

it is true no fan only at heating block
possible to mount a fan after?  i buyed a lot of pla already   and now hearing cant use it? sad         
thats why they dont sell it on website maybe  but in specs it can print it.

selkess wrote:

it is true no fan only at heating block
possible to mount a fan after?  i buyed a lot of pla already   and now hearing cant use it? sad         
thats why they dont sell it on website maybe  but in specs it can print it.

From what the most recent Press video shows, it is a tight area, but possible to design and print a mount to redirect/share existing airflow from the existing heating block fan.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Well if it doesn't do PLA, Its not really a deal breaker (for me anyway). For me it was the bed size and price point. Plus anything that it lacks out of the gate can get modded on. My big thing was did it require the SD app to control the printer (and it doesn't).
The custom spool size is more of a huddle then anything else. Once I get mine, I have a couple ideas to correct that.

345 (edited by pastprimitive 2014-10-15 19:04:55)

If you haven't seen this already, over on the thread I started the other day:http://www.soliforum.com/topic/7995/fin … eo/page/2/

soliryan wrote:
leonmf wrote:

Will that g-code controlled header be active in the firmware and just need to be connected or will we need to map the pins and re-download firmware?

Yes, it will be active.

proctor_richard wrote:

please could you pass it to higher up on in solidoodle to arrange some kind of q/a session on google hangouts or something.

We're working on it. I'll keep you guys informed.

Let another sigh of relief be heard through out the land of doodle-dom, we can add a gcode controlled fan easily.

yeah we only been saying it should have been that way since SD2

it feels that press is to bulky plastic could make it more compact whit same size 8"
plastic will wear down and get squeeky whit all that heat idont know if stay or let it go

YEA ,that'the biggest SD flaw, communicaton.I emailed and even called them .36 hrs later still no responce.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

I just, reluctantly, cancelled (I hope I do that by emailing accounting@...) my order for a Workbench.  The fact that they're weeks late, have no real photos, no further communication, they cheaped out on the part cooling fans and the lack of LCD/SD card has me looking elsewhere.

I hope they pull together an amazing product and I may look at them again in the future.  But, for now, I'm stepping back from my initial excitement for a dual extruder 1'^3 printer.

They want your money upfront but can't deliver the goods.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.