276 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-09-22 15:51:48)

Re: Introducing Three New Solidoodle Models

He's a side shot of the WB extruders. That looks like the SD4's (Yes? No?)

http://public.mlabs.us/WB_Extruder_Side.jpg

Edit: Actually wait, There are 4 fans on there. Two in the rear and two in the front. The SD4 only has one in the rear. Wonder if all four are 'necessary' and if a creating shroud to angle the two in the front down would be easier.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I'm not seeing any real issues there.  Maybe have to change up (mirror) the tension arm if using the original lawsy design.  Or possibly reuse or recreate something more like the ones in the picture.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Here's one cropped of the other side.

http://public.mlabs.us/WBA_Hotend_Angle2.jpg

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I think we could get by with just the main body of the MK-5 and reuse those tension arms.  Would have to get dimensions and pictures of any bed leveling stuff that needs to be added but that shouldn't be a big problem.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

And a little tweakage to hold the spring.

SD press seems to be delayed several weeks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm … y_delayed/

Interesting. On Sat my wife asked Sam if everything was on track for shipment. She got a simple 'Yes.'

MacGyverX, did you see if they were use the SoliPrint software?

284 (edited by MacGyverX 2014-09-22 18:50:11)

I was not able to see behind the table. They had a couple netbooks controlling the printers. To be honest, That was one question I failed to ask. I have no interest in it. I am going to continue to use my existing work flow. (RH-Slic3r & OctoPrint).

285 (edited by blade1 2014-09-22 18:51:58)

I can understand that. I was just wondering.

Edit: Thanks for all the pictures.

286 (edited by n2ri 2014-09-22 19:30:04)

MacGyverX wrote:

He's a side shot of the WB extruders. That looks like the SD4's (Yes? No?)

http://public.mlabs.us/WB_Extruder_Side.jpg

Edit: Actually wait, There are 4 fans on there. Two in the rear and two in the front. The SD4 only has one in the rear. Wonder if all four are 'necessary' and if a creating shroud to angle the two in the front down would be easier.

yes fans on each stepper motor save for Z axis, then fans for peeks, WA has fume exhuast fan at rear (why Workbench dont who knows). then likely fan on motherboard/s and on SD site shows place for G-code fan with duct installed. plus bed heater, 2 hot ends "and a Partridge in a bare tree" LOL no wonder 2 power packs on workbench may have to get larger electric panel installed in my house to run it all LOL least from what SD techs talk like when asked about adding fans

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

proctor_richard wrote:

1) holding down the glass beds on the WB with bulldog clips - really? shaving 1" off each side of the build area is a shoddy misselling

We will be shipping with smaller clips, not the large binder clips seen in the pictures.

MacGyverX wrote:

SD4 also has one on the side. The rear fan is for cooling the motor, the front fans are for keeping the filament cool while it passes through the drive gear. We moved them to the front so they don't cut into X-axis travel.

Former Solidoodle employee

Thanks soliryan for the clarity about the fans.

So there is no direct path to guide air directly to the filament in order to cool pla printing?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

So there is no direct path to guide air directly to the filament in order to cool pla printing?

Ive still had no word back from SD about  becoming a UK distributor either.

Don't get me wrong guys I think your a good company its just pains me when the community gets these periods of non contact. I think what would be really good would be a group chat ( reddit ama , Google hangout, irc ...whatever) so we can just hammer through as many questions about the printers as possible

292 (edited by selkess 2014-09-23 14:33:13)

yes hello solidoodle pre order is soon over so how is everything ?
some reply please  "customer is always right"  right ? tongue

my place for my printer is ready but now its only collecting dust

While I agree that it's annoying to be ignored by the manufacturer, please don't rush them! I am more than willing to wait a few more weeks to get a unit that they took their time to engineer and get all the right parts for. I don't want a unit with subpar components in efforts to expedite the shipment of units. I think everyone would agree with this sentiment,"Solidoodle, if you need more time, please let us know. Thank you." Signed you patient customer base smile

+1 to x1320x
A manufacturer rushing to fill orders is exactly why I *almost* always wait when buying new tech and models so they can work the kinks out. 9/10 they work too fast to build a proper device to their claims, then ship them out to avoid scandal.

While you all have paid, and have been (im)patiently waiting, I feel for you as a consumer. And I think the least SD could do is say "Sorry this as taken 12 pages on a single thread and potentially longer than expected, but we do not wish to shortchange or rip off any of our loyal customers. Shipping will take an additional 2 weeks to provide stellar devices as promised if not more.", but unfortunately, they have not. I sincerely doubt they are dodging anyone, but they have not issued mentioned statement either. I am not a manufacturer, but I know construction and the unpredicted and unwanted setbacks.

Steady the course for another week before freaking, peeps. big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

295 (edited by pcrowlz 2014-09-24 05:38:36)

If they need a few more weeks, fine. But if they want to be taken seriously as a company then they need to realize that it's not okay to sell a product with a specified lead time, charge credit cards upon pre-order, and miss the deadline. They should be 100% sure that they will make the deadline before advertising it. Also, the whole "we can wait a few more weeks if it means we will get a better product" is what kept Makibox alive until they ran out of money. I'm sure the people at Solidoodle are doing their best, and at this point its most likely manufacturing problems holding them back and not design changes (its not easy to change injection molds).

With that being said, Solidoodle has loyal customers who are willing to purchase a product without even seeing it work. If I were them I would be trying my best to keep them informed.

Solidoodle is not a brand new company, they are not trying to do the impossible. I will gladly wait a few extra weeks to get my product and I say that with no reserve; no pessimism. Things go wrong, vendors deliver the wrong materials, suppliers randomly put things on backorder without notice. It does not make them look bad to miss a deadline, plenty of big companies miss deadlines. Although big companies usually keep the public updated on any delays, but to each their own. Their reputation will not be affected by the lead time of their first units, it will be on the quality of the product they deliver. After months of printing with my WB I will undoubtedly have forgotten that I had to wait a few extra weeks. Relax everyone, enjoy life, let me buy you a beer smile

What is the point of Workbench Apprentice if it costs more and has smaller build volume than the Press?
Also, whats the point of selling SD4 now if the Press has the same features and more and costs less?

I have one word for you, IPhone. It's the name of the game smile

Post's attachments

iphone-generation.png
iphone-generation.png 157.02 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-09-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

a3393341 wrote:

What is the point of Workbench Apprentice if it costs more and has smaller build volume than the Press?
Also, whats the point of selling SD4 now if the Press has the same features and more and costs less?

now your comparing Dodge Viper to Plymouth Neon. LOL
and the press is not Mod friendly like computer geeks use Linux while non geeks use Windows for simplicity and off the shelf apps

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Apprentice has dual extruders, press only one.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D