Re: RUMBA board- how to do complete setup, including firmware and wiring?

Boy...if you think THAT is a fire hazard, you should see my electrical/soldering skills smile
No joke

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Glad to hear you got it sorted Azerate. Sorry I been so busy.

78 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 15:41:53)

Which endstops should I be using?  I've only got 3 - unlike Ward's pictures at the beginning of the thread which seems to have all 6.

EDIT - I think I figured it out - connecting with "-" and "S" pins on X+, Y+, and Z- (ignoring X-, Y-, and Z+ for now)

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

the Mins should cut it...

80 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 15:46:32)

I did that based on my current RH settings homing the extruder to the back right.  It always did kinda bug me that it homed away from 0,0,0.

I haven't turned it on yet so I'm not completely positive that this right.

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

81 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 18:48:48)

Here is the hairball wiring that I was fearing last night.  This is my first fully connected power-up.  On to check settings!  (first remembering to double E steps)

http://i.imgur.com/m3vB0tM.jpg

Something's wrong with your link. No image.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

That's weird - it shows up on the post for me.  You could see my others, right?  They're all linked over from imgur.  I'll try to figure it out momentarily.

I think I know why Ward's picture showed all of the endstop pins on the rumba board occupied - when I run M119, it shows "triggered" for the ones that don't have any connection.  I guess this is from the normally closed switches.  I now need to rummage around and find a few female-female jumpers in my disorganized arduino junk.

Or disable them in firmware with a -1 ...

adrian wrote:

Thanks - doing that now.  Can't find the f-f jumpers.

86 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 17:14:14)

PheonixSD3 wrote:
adrian wrote:

Thanks - doing that now.  Can't find the f-f jumpers.

I need some help finding where to do this in the firmware.

EDIT - might have just found it in pins.h   -   All I have to do is ask (bother other people) and then the answer just pops up and makes me look like a jerk for constantly bothering people.....

EDIT: Success! (see screenshot below) - RH now only reports for the endstops that I'm using.

http://i.imgur.com/TJZZl5q.jpg

Related question - my arduino IDE doesn't seem to show all of the related marlin files.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Example: pins.h doesn't show up when I open marlin.ino  - strangely, opening pins.h opens just like I opened marlin.ino AND I still can't see pins.h.....?  Editing in notepad++ for now.

88 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 18:06:37)

New development - motion is opposite on all axes (haven't checked extruder yet).

Example:  sending X+10 results in X-10 based on RH bed layout.

EDIT - switching over to a set of spare wires without connectors on one end so I don't have to cut anything to switch polarity.

EDIT - Going back to the way I had it first - editing the firmware is just so much easier.

I think you plugged the connectors in backward

90 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 18:17:48)

AZERATE wrote:

I think you plugged the connectors in backward

I'll try that out - I was still incorrectly thinking of the pre-driver wires with step and direction and power anyway.  I had it plugged in like the board graphic says: black-green-red-blue (with usb connector on left) but that was moving backwards.

EDIT - plugged the wires in correctly and now it works...

91 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 19:42:25)

Now I'm getting a problem when I try to autotune my bed - it seems to timeout:

EDIT - this seems to be a known problem where I should have preheated the bed first to within about 10 degrees of the setpoint.  I'll try again later - getting tired of post-bombing this thread.

http://i.imgur.com/ze5cyxk.png

PheonixSD3 wrote:

All I have to do is ask (bother other people) and then the answer just pops up and makes me look like a jerk for constantly bothering people.....

Story of my life smile
I'm most likely gonna need some guidance on the wiring. I would like to use the wires the Rumba came with, but it seems I would then need to splice into then solder the stock SD wires. Or am I missing something painfully obvious?

AZERATE wrote:
PheonixSD3 wrote:

All I have to do is ask (bother other people) and then the answer just pops up and makes me look like a jerk for constantly bothering people.....

Story of my life smile
I'm most likely gonna need some guidance on the wiring. I would like to use the wires the Rumba came with, but it seems I would then need to splice into then solder the stock SD wires. Or am I missing something painfully obvious?

Unfortunately I think splicing is the only real long-term solution for the conversion.  I had also ordered some of the "pro" wires from RRD which have connectors on both ends and was able to make those work by cutting up some break-away-headers into the requisite lengths to act as connectors between the old wiring and the new - basically made my own f-f adapters.  I looked but can't find the pro wiring on the site anymore.

Break away headers:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12693

Looks like a trip to Home Depot for crimp ferrules is in my near future. Thanks!

Wanted to share that my bed heat up time has gone from 40+ minutes to about 15 with the rumba and new 360W power supply.  Also, I was excited to be able to run the bed PID tuning but apparently I don't need to.  The default parameters in the firmware are nearly perfect as you can see in the bottom picture below.

Bed with old 120W and Sanguinololu 1.3a and also unable to tune bed:
http://i.imgur.com/RQTLLTY.jpg

Bed with new 360W and RUMBA and Default bed PID in fresh firmware:
http://i.imgur.com/puuqsBe.png

Next up - actually try to print something!

96 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-24 04:02:47)

Having some weird problems and can't figure out where they came from:

1 - My bed doesn't show up in RH anymore
2 - My extruder is registering 0 degrees temperature

EDIT - Found the problem - Somehow the box in RH printer settings for "check extruder and bed temperature" got unchecked when it should be checked

Really, your bed warm up time should be even quicker than 15 minutes with a RUMBA and a 360 watt supply.  I have the same setup and it takes mine about 3- 5 minutes.  Do you have two ports on your power supply jumpered together and run to the heat bed input?  Do you have a thicker wire from your RUMBA to the bed heaters?  22 gauge is too small here, I used 16.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

Really, your bed warm up time should be even quicker than 15 minutes with a RUMBA and a 360 watt supply.  I have the same setup and it takes mine about 3- 5 minutes.  Do you have two ports on your power supply jumpered together and run to the heat bed input?  Do you have a thicker wire from your RUMBA to the bed heaters?  22 gauge is too small here, I used 16.

+1 How are you running power from your PSU to the HB side of the board?

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I jumped my terminals yesterday and used some left over wire from my E3D (line for the heater). I think that is 18g? Either way, I tested the voltage and it reads a steady 13.55v across all terminals...of course that is without any motors or heaters hooked up.

AZERATE wrote:

I jumped my terminals yesterday and used some left over wire from my E3D (line for the heater). I think that is 18g? Either way, I tested the voltage and it reads a steady 13.55v across all terminals...of course that is without any motors or heaters hooked up.

This becomes an amperage issue not a voltage issue and more important for you a safety issue.  I would sleep better if you ran separate 16 gauge wire (18 will work but not my preference) from your PSU (2 banks) to the HB PWR and use the remaining bank to main PWR.  The biggest load is the bed heater so that is where you want to direct the most power.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions