Re: RUMBA board- how to do complete setup, including firmware and wiring?

Very nice. The only reason why I strayed away from 40mm fans for the board was because I needed more airflow since I print constantly. The 80mm fan I have now actually doubles as air conditioning for the user as well big_smile

That looks like a pretty clean job. I take it you fed the wires over the back because they were sinking?

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

52 (edited by adrian 2014-08-17 03:38:11)

60mm fan does the job though.

Anyway, my setup on the closest to hand Ord :

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sDuxoFxY4nA/U_AhquUKrqI/AAAAAAAAL_I/MpO9Hpp7KC0/w1481-h833-no/20140817_132917.jpg

AZERATE wrote:

Very nice. The only reason why I strayed away from 40mm fans for the board was because I needed more airflow since I print constantly. The 80mm fan I have now actually doubles as air conditioning for the user as well big_smile

That looks like a pretty clean job. I take it you fed the wires over the back because they were sinking?

I used the 40mm because I had them on hand and they seem to work fine.  Yes, running the wire bundle case over the top was the only thing I could do that really kept them completely off the left side belt.  I have a wire guide too, but with the wires running thru the case, it still seem to go under the guide and rub the belt.  Now it never touches the belt.

Tip: install the adapter plate, run the wires that need to do to the other side under the adapter plate, then attach the board with case if used.  This just helps get a cleaner install.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

So I got my Rumba today and have been taking (far too much) time mounting, cleaning up the wires in back, etc.

I most likely will not have time to deal with the firmware fun-time tonight, but I had a couple questions before I progress:
*Whenever I had a Printrboard or Sang hooked to USB, even without power to the board, a light always came on...this is not the case right now. I have the USB plugged in ready for the update, but no light. I take it this is nothing to worry about?

*The old SD connectors can fit (VERY tight fit), but I have the steppers off. Can someone confirm that this is possible to not have to splice into existing wires?

*Finally - THERMISTORS GALORE! What application would one need six thermistors for a Rumba? Also, I can only assume that these are different thermistor types/sizes than used for the E3D?

Thanks for your previous posts, BTW.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

The good news is you now have six spare thermistors.
The light will come on when you add power, no big deal.
What plugs are tight? Or do you mean the wires are too short.  If too short you can splice or make or buy an extension cord of sorts.  If you ask nicely maybe I could make some up for you.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

The light will come on when you add power, no big deal.

Awesome...thanks!

wardjr wrote:

The good news is you now have six spare thermistors.

Soooooo they are the same that come with the E3D? They look larger like the stock SD ones.

wardjr wrote:

What plugs are tight? Or do you mean the wires are too short.  If too short you can splice or make or buy an extension cord of sorts.  If you ask nicely maybe I could make some up for you.

Sorry...the 4pin connectors for the motors. While organizing my wires and getting rid of excess slack, I plugged in a couple spots to see what I could run with stock plugs and what I couldn't. So far I noticed the wires for the lights are too short, but that is irrelevant at the moment. So the original connectors are tight against one another.

I appreciate the offer! I will keep it in mind. But I think I should be fine with all the wires that came with the Rumba.

Thermistors I don't know about look at the websites product description.
On the plugs do you mean the short sides touch each other?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

58 (edited by AZERATE 2014-08-20 00:07:23)

So I downloaded the latest Marlin and fortunately I scrolled through everything and here is what I found:

*Changed board from 62 (Sang 1.2>) to 80 (Rumba)
*Scrolled further and found in line 22 I was at an SD3...changed that to 2
*TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 at first...Changed that to 6 since I have the E3D as well as line 161 MAXTEMP to 310

That is it, right?
She will not compile at the moment so I wanted to make sure I got this all together.

wardjr wrote:

On the plugs do you mean the short sides touch each other?

Yup. Only on the motor connectors from what I've noticed.

So will the plugs fit?
You most likely can't connect your PC to the board.  You need to download and install the driver for it.  It's listed on the Rumba site.

Trying to get past the firmware before messing with the plugs...realized that will be simple between the provided wires and the photos you posted....thanks! smile

You were right that I did not download the driver. Seems I missed that link. But I got that installed, and it still will not compile...tried about 20 times now. Took me a long time with the Printrboard as well, but the Printrboard is garbage and I think it may be my computer at this point.

Thoughts?

The thermistors are not the same as the E3D, unfortunatly they are too big to fit the hole in the heater block.  You could bore it out but I don't think it is worth messing with that when you could just buy the right ones from filastruder for a couple bucks.

I don't know why your firmware won't compile, are the drivers installed in the right location on your PC?  I will send you my firmware if you want, it looks like we have the same setup, and you can try that if needed.

Thanks for the offer!
And yeah, the thermistors did appear much larger than the ones used for the E3D (semetec?). I'm just trying to find what type they are so I could find a use for them. Couldn't find the info on RepRapDiscount or with my Googlefu.

I am fairly certain my problem is stemmed from the location of the Marlin directory. I have Arduino in program files, and Marlin is just sitting on the desktop. If I recall correctly, some/all files need to be saved in a certain location?
Reason I think this is because once I save, close Arduino, and open it back up straight from the Marlin configuration.h file, none of the changes saved. By changing the settings again, and hitting Save As, it displays a folder I am unfamiliar with. So I need to find how to properly save the Marlin files. Hope to get it flashed and wired up tonight.

the marlin directory should be moved to your 'arduino-sketches' folder ; which you can locate by checking preferences in the arduino IDE.. but hoepfully theres also a quick fix for you through other means.

Yup!
wardjr sent me a screenshot of his directory and it comfirmed my theory. I'm at work, so I won't be able to test it until early this evening.

Alright! I was able to compile and properly save. But Now, no what what I do, it will not upload to the board:
*CLICK reset THEN upload
*HOLD reset WHILE uploading
It always gives me this:

Binary sketch size: 56,742 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): can't communicate with device: resp=0x01

Even though it tells me "Done Uploading".

This is my first time taking the time to learn how to flash, so I want to be sure this is ok before setting it all up for testing.
Am I doing something wrong?

Look at your device manager when you plug it in.  What comes up?

I'll be firing up my rumba tonight thanks to this thread.  Wish me luck.  For now I have to try to go back to sleep so I can function like a normal zombie at work in less than 7 hours.

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

AZERATE wrote:

Alright! I was able to compile and properly save. But Now, no what what I do, it will not upload to the board:
*CLICK reset THEN upload
*HOLD reset WHILE uploading
It always gives me this:

Binary sketch size: 56,742 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): can't communicate with device: resp=0x01

Even though it tells me "Done Uploading".

This is my first time taking the time to learn how to flash, so I want to be sure this is ok before setting it all up for testing.
Am I doing something wrong?

I don't have to click or hold reset or do anything else to upload firmware.  Just click upload and it gets done.  Try that.

You probably want to check to see that your com ports and bauds rates are all matched up.

... I just realized that I'm in for a longer installation tonight that I originally thought - My current wiring connectors are for the old Sanguinololu board and may not be directly compatible with the rumba board.  If thats the case, then I may end up using the screw terminals for now.

I would however really like to learn how to make the connecting wires - as in, what are the connectors and do I need any special tool to attach them to the ends of wires?

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

70 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-22 23:59:58)

Question - is it ok to run both the main power and bed power off of the same bussed 360W power supply or should I de-bus my power supply and only use 120W for the main and 240 for the bed?

Oh yeah - my sanguinololu wiring connectors definitely don't play well with the rumba - doing a franken-wiring setup for now until I put together something better for the long haul.

FIRMWARE FLASHED!

Device manager showed Rumba as COM 7, and Arduino only allowed for COM 3. After closing, opening, and hitting reset on the board, I still got nothing. Looking back to my old college instructor, he said "You can fix most problems by remembering this: 'Keep it simple, stupid.'" So I wiggled the USB cable and COM 7 showed in Arduino and uploaded when I clicked.

That's what I get for buying a cheap Radio Shack USB cable smile
Thank you very much for everyone's help! Wiring tonight (hopefully) and start running tests tomorrow night

AZERATE wrote:

FIRMWARE FLASHED!

Device manager showed Rumba as COM 7, and Arduino only allowed for COM 3. After closing, opening, and hitting reset on the board, I still got nothing. Looking back to my old college instructor, he said "You can fix most problems by remembering this: 'Keep it simple, stupid.'" So I wiggled the USB cable and COM 7 showed in Arduino and uploaded when I clicked.

That's what I get for buying a cheap Radio Shack USB cable smile
Thank you very much for everyone's help! Wiring tonight (hopefully) and start running tests tomorrow night

You and I are brothers on the same mission tonight.

I need some help - I have the taurino driver but when I try to download the usb driver I keep getting "failed - server problem".  Would you be willing to email me the zip file?  I'll PM you with my email address.

Thanks,
Jake

Email received - successful connection - successful upload of previously edited firmware from the first post.  AZERATE - you rock!

I'm still wrapping my head around which firmware I should really use.  I'm guessing the "beta" one you sent is a later release than the one at the beginning of this thread?

Things are going well - about to connect the board to the printer.  My wiring is absolute junk - I'll order some parts and put something together for the long run but I'll be happy this weekend if I can start checking my settings. 

Safe printing to all - pictures up shortly.

The zip file I sent is the same as wardjr's post. It is the sixth post on the first page of the thread. Just make sure you scroll through the entire configuration.h file. Get those settings right so everything runs smooth and safe!

I am more than happy to help where I can smile

75 (edited by PheonixSD3 2014-08-23 02:47:57)

So these are pictures of my current experimental setup - I don't recommend this to anyone.  Simply put, it's a fire waiting to happen. 

I'm excited to install my rumba but I'll be more excited when I can put together something more stable.  This is just for checking settings and is only operated when I am around - it's totally unplugged when I'm not there.

This is when I got my first connection with my rumba (when plugged in of course):
http://i.imgur.com/jZj1m1A.jpg

This is the awful wiring that I'm dealing with this weekend to check settings:
http://i.imgur.com/e2SmnKJ.jpg

I'll update as I improve but this thread is more about rumba than my personal setup so I'll try to keep it at a minimum.

Needless to say - I owe a toast to all that have contributed.

-Jake

EDIT - Toast: to the trailblazers and the challenging and rewarding tasks ahead of us... tomorrow lies a full day...