Re: RUMBA board- how to do complete setup, including firmware and wiring?

So I changed it to 1, reuploaded, and I've still got nothing when the extruder is heated to temp or the drives are moved.   I suspect a pin assignment issue or another line in the firm ware that needs to change. Still searching, but it feels good to know that I will be printing tomorrow (knocks on wood)!

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Yep, in the mean time you can hook those direct to your power input for the board.  I will figure out what we are missing eventually.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

So this got me to thinking...What firmware did I load onto my Rumba and why can't I seem to find it?
Keep in mind my printer works flawlessly and I am about to change that.  You may have to write that WIKI sooner than later just to get me back up and running wink  Seriously though,  I cannot find a saved configuration.h file on my PC that has any pin changes so now I am totally confused.  Why does mine work the way it does and yours does not.  So in the name of learning and hopefully educating I am about to re-flash my rumba with a fresh updated version and see where it gets me.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

29 (edited by wardjr 2014-06-12 19:48:02)

So a couple of differences from what I had before.
I made this change from -1 to 8  (You were right in previous post) 
If I understand this correctly pin 7 and 8 are the same?

The G-code fan now fails to shut off after 60 seconds if I kill the print so that is my next thing to figure out.
EDIT:  Actually it does shut off I must have clicked on it in R-H some where along the line but if a print finishes normally it shuts off.  It could be that I killed that job and then it doesn't shut off.  Either way it all works so let me know if you have any questions.

//This is for controlling a fan to cool down the stepper drivers
//it will turn on when any driver is enabled
//and turn off after the set amount of seconds from last driver being disabled again
#define CONTROLLERFAN_PIN 8 //Pin used for the fan to cool controller (-1 to disable)
#define CONTROLLERFAN_SECS 60 //How many seconds, after all motors were disabled, the fan should run
#define CONTROLLERFAN_SPEED 255  // == full speed

// When first starting the main fan, run it at full speed for the
// given number of milliseconds.  This gets the fan spinning reliably
// before setting a PWM value. (Does not work with software PWM for fan on Sanguinololu)
//#define FAN_KICKSTART_TIME 100

// Extruder cooling fans
// Configure fan pin outputs to automatically turn on/off when the associated
// extruder temperature is above/below EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE.
// Multiple extruders can be assigned to the same pin in which case
// the fan will turn on when any selected extruder is above the threshold.
#define EXTRUDER_0_AUTO_FAN_PIN   -1
#define EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN   -1
#define EXTRUDER_2_AUTO_FAN_PIN   -1
#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_TEMPERATURE 50
#define EXTRUDER_AUTO_FAN_SPEED   255  // == full speed

30 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-06-12 23:49:24)

Ok, more of the fans later, but...

I got my Z screw set, bed leveled and went to make my first print on the RUMBA.  Apparently, it thinks my bed is the wrong size or in the wrong place or otherwise out of whack.  I placed a small test object in the front left of the bed and it prints in the back right.  I haven't changed the settings under printer shape, I just check and they had the defaults from solidoodle still in there, which were working fine before.

Is there anything in the firmware that got changed?  I'm thinking this should be pretty easy to fix compared to all that I have done so far.  Any hints?  Looking at firmware now....

Edit: interesting, the first print attempt died mid print when my bed hit 102 C with a target of 105.  This bed has never seen anything over 90 before with the old sang board and stock power supply so I was pretty happy to get to those temps, and this was without even jumping the power like you should be in the other thread.  My new target temp will be 90 and I'll see where that gets me.

Also, motors running about 35 C.  I think I'll crank it up a little on the driver trim pots because it is a little quieter than they used to be.

How did you end up with your end stops?  Remember that mirror image statement you made?

X and Y are both into the + terminals and Z into the -.  Homing direction for X and Y is towards max and Z towards min.  Everything homes the same as when it was stock and my print is not mirrored, just shifted almost half a bed length towards the back right.

I'm still looking through the firmware but code is not my strong suite...

I can say this I re-flashed with the exact same firmware as you today and everything works fine so no firmware change needed other than you have to select SD2 instead of three in configuration.h I bet that's why it's off.  So long as your there might as well make the change for fans and re-flash it then you should be good.

Hmm... the distance that it is off is about this difference between the SD2 and 3 bed so I thought that could be it but then I went back into configuration.h and it says:

#define SOLIDOODLE_VERSION 2

So apparently that's not it.  There's got to be another bed size setting somewhere.  I'll reflash after this test cube finishes just in case, and fix the fans then too.

What about your R-H printer settings do you maybe have SD3 selected?

36 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-06-13 01:21:07)

Okay I'm reflashed and super sure that it was set to solidoodle version 2 and it is still not seeing the right size bed.  Still looking in the firmware and repetier to make sure I didn't miss a bed size setting but no luck yet.  On the bring side, 5mm calibration steps came out great! (just not where it should have in relation to the bed.  Again, told it top left and it comes in towards the back right).

Edit: RH print settings look normal (attached)

Post's attachments

RH.png
RH.png 57.85 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

If you home x and y how many mm's is showing for each axis?  150 it's set at Sd2 200 means Sd3 if that is showing 150 than you have something else wrong.

What do you mean by showing?  Where should I be looking?

Ugh, stupid work.  Probably won't get back to this until tomorrow night.

I hear that... Work always gets in the way of the fun stuff wink On the manual control screen in R-H for each axis there is a position indicator on the screen that displays in mm's the distance from home.  With an SD2 it starts at 150 and then for each mm of movement it decreases down to zero.  For an SD3 it starts at 200 actually I think it's more like 159 and 209 but you get the idea.

mdrVB6 wrote:

I know my motors do not sound right, so I'm also going to need to tune those drivers.  I found the page where solidoodle talks about doing it on the sang board but my drivers look way different so I don't know where to put the multimeter.  I do have a nonconductive screw driver.  Trying to find more now...

If you decide to go the route of using a meter to get your drivers close to the proper VREF's.  All you need to do is probe to a ground on the board and the other right to the pot itself.  I just went through this yesterday as I had my Rumba all tore apart trying to help a user get his up and running wink In the process of taking photos I mixed up a couple of drivers so I started with the meter to get close then by ear for fine tuning. 

Also if I didn't mention it before you'll want to leave the two unused drivers removed.  They make great spares or upgrades for other projects.  You just don't want them on the board with nothing hooked to them.

Huh... checked repetier after homing all axis and my Ymax (home) is 150 and Xmax is 159, just like it should be for an SD2.  But it is still printing in the wrong spot, prints shifted about 2 inches towards the back right.  I'm stumped!

What about where center is defined?
When you were all done did you end up with end stop jumpers the same as mine?

Center is defined as x=75, y= 75.  That is in slic3r under printer settings tab , although I think its somewhat strange that it is not in repetier.  What is relative E distances?  I have it unchecked, although I never paid attention to it before.

End stops are connect to X+ and Y+ and homing towards max.  Z is into Z- and homing towards Z min.  So I think it is just like yours and the same as stock.

With all the settings, there has got to be some way to fool the printer into getting the bed right even if I can't make it "really" right.  I might start experimenting with moving the end stops over to X- and Y-, telling it to home towards min and seeing what happens.  Although that would probably just mirror my print.  So I'm still stuck...

It would also help if the guy helping you had all the answers.  Even if I were in front of my PC that would help.  I think if you start changing how your end stops are plugged in you'll end up with an axis that doesn't stop at home like it's supposed to.  When you manually move your extruder (via R-H manual controls) to the center of the bed what does the read out say each axis is at?  That would be the numbers you'd want to set as center.

45 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-06-14 03:08:18)

I seem to have found a work around for now.  The bed left and bed front fields under printer settings will take negative values, so I took a guess and set them each to -40 and printed a 20mm calibration cube.  Doing a little math we can see that the edges of the cube should be 65mm from the edge of the bed.  After printing, I took out the calipers and measured the actual distance that I was getting.  Doing a little more math, I found that setting both of those fields to -57 results in the cube printing in damn near the middle of the bed (I centered the print). 

So I have my print bed back for now!  It will bother me until I get it fixed, but it works with these offsets.  I might try and get a version of repetier that was not downloaded from solidoodle up and running eventually.

I think I can finally consider this project substantially complete, but there might be some more tuning and such of the drivers that I can do as I go!

Boy oh boy I could use that wiki right about now wink
Good thread to start with, though.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

47 (edited by mdrVB6 2014-08-15 13:57:01)

I actually have a pretty good start on it as a word document, but it only goes up to the wiring so far.  I need to add steps for initial power on and making sure everything spins the right way and that it sees the bed and end stops correctly.  PMing you. I haven't gotten to taking pictures yet.  Did you print a case for it before you got started?  This guy over at thingiverse made a pretty nice one and took some of my suggestions, so I have a nice case around mine now.  I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:349015

48 (edited by AZERATE 2014-08-16 14:19:33)

Much appreciated. I put in my order yesterday so I assume I will receive it around Thursday.
I printed the Printrboard/Rumba mount and already have an 80mm fan blowing directly onto the board and a 40mm fan cooling the side/back, so I'm certain I have the cooling aspect prepped.

Just trying to get as much info before I start tinkering so I don't have to bother you guys too much wink

EDIT: Does the board come with a ceramic screwdriver? Seems to be impossible to find in-store near me.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Mine did.

Yes, mine came with it too.  Here are the pics of my finished install:

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:89806#comment-499724