101 (edited by TickTock 2015-02-09 01:51:06)

Re: Beware your 3D printer (They can cause fires)

My thinking is it starts to smoke before bursting into flames.  Such a device would have worked for mdrVB6' scenario.  However, a fire proof cabinet isn't a bad suggestion at all.  I could weld one up a lot faster than building the fire-breaker thingy.

elmoret wrote:
mdrVB6 wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Most likely, mdrVB6 is running a very outdated version or Marlin or the print would have stopped when the thermistor pulled out.

I would be interested in fixing that.  I pulled my version from adrian's github maybe 6 months ago when I installed by RUMBA.  Any idea where to get an updated version?  Disclaimer: I have not looked for myself yet, about to start...

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli … guration.h

Start reading at line 247

Looks like it is off (commented out) by default.

Perfect scenario to why a company big or small carries liability insurance.

104 (edited by w_smith 2015-03-22 16:46:03)

One more thing to worry about, thanks!  8*|  Condolences to SkyMiner, that had to be pretty horrific!

So I just ordered a Kidde PI9010 [See below, should have ordered PI2010] dual-mode smoke detector and SM120X relay module for $30-ish.  That and a relay to drop out on alarm activation ought to cover the starting-to-smoke case.  Plus it has a 5V output which I can probably connect to my Raspberry Pi to have it text me (and interface to my fire alarm system).

I'll probably add the http://www.amazon.com/10Pcs-Celsius-Cir … B00H8SKNFO to my E3D hotend if I ever get it installed to cover the hotend overheating case.

But I think SkyMiner's point wasn't "OMFG, don't print unattended!", but "In the real world we need our 3D printers to be able to print unattended without burning our houses down."  You can espouse "Never print unattended" all day long, but when I've got a 28 hour or 54 hour print job, what am I supposed to do?  And if I have to check on  a printout constantly, then the cost of my objects just went from pennies to tens of dollars.

And while we need firmware, that's not going to solve every problem.  As a computer engineer I can tell you that hardware's going to fail (FETs stuck on), and firmware's going to crash (leaving heaters in whatever state they were in), so we need the mechanical engineering of the product to provide fire safety, plus electrical failsafes should anything go wrong.

Just as a side note on Kiddie brand fire suppression products, I've received two emails in no more than 3 months regarding recalls. I have a Kiddie extinguisher myself, but may look around for another brand at this point

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

w_smith, your line of thinking is all fine and good for the Makerbots of this world - the companies producing fully assembled printers that are unlikely to be modified by an end user.

The problem comes when kits are assembled by folks that may have never stripped a wire before. The safety of such a machine is largely a function of the end user's assembly skills, creating the impression that unattended printing is safe would be irresponsible.

Also, the "well some prints take 24 hours" line of reasoning is a not a great one. If you're pulled over for doing 120mph on the highway, it doesn't matter that it's a long way from LA to NYC - what you're doing is unsafe and you're getting a ticket.

If you want to take countermeasures to improve the safety of your machine, that is a good thing! But do not be disillusioned. There are only two truly safe ways to print: with the printer in a metal box, or attended (human in the same room).

elmoret wrote:

w_smith, your line of thinking is all fine and good for the Makerbots of this world - the companies producing fully assembled printers that are unlikely to be modified by an end user.

The problem comes when kits are assembled by folks that may have never stripped a wire before. The safety of such a machine is largely a function of the end user's assembly skills, creating the impression that unattended printing is safe would be irresponsible.

Also, the "well some prints take 24 hours" line of reasoning is a not a great one. If you're pulled over for doing 120mph on the highway, it doesn't matter that it's a long way from LA to NYC - what you're doing is unsafe and you're getting a ticket.

If you want to take countermeasures to improve the safety of your machine, that is a good thing! But do not be disillusioned. There are only two truly safe ways to print: with the printer in a metal box, or attended (human in the same room).

+100...
Also, a detached well-insured garage helps as well!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

108 (edited by diyengineer 2015-03-09 12:07:19)

I would think a fire rated chemical cabinet (the big yellow ones) would be the best option for unattended printing. One could also rig up a fire extinguisher (Halon) to a relay that is tripped by the smoke detector. Also have the smoke detector trip the power relay. Another relay could be used externally to drop off power if internet connection was lost, not allowing you to keep an eye remotely on your print. A lot of hoops to jump through, at that point you might want to look at leasing a commercial printer, or picking up a second hand commercial printer if your doing multi day prints.

Automatic halon suppression: $185
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Fight-Produc … atic+halon

Fire cabinet: $515
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q8 … _i=desktop

$700 bucks and im pretty sure you would be safe to print as long as you like.

w_smith wrote:

So I just ordered a Kidde PI9010 dual-mode smoke detector and SM120X relay module for $30-ish.

Oops, should have (and now have) ordered the PI2010 dual-mode, AC, _Interconnected_ smoke detector, which _will_ talk to the SM120X (ordered SM120X but I got a CO120X, but same idea) and cut the power on smoke or ionization detection.

110 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-04 19:25:18)

I could have possibly started a fire last night. I replaced one of the stepper drivers on the Sanguinololu that came with the SD2 I bought off a guy here and the extruder MOSFET decided its life was over. Not sure how it happened. Anyway, after realizing the extruder was heating I noticed my volcano reading a temperature of 480C, so the thermistor is definitely shot and I'll be wiring in my original RUMBA...

Remember, MAXTEMP doesn't mean much if the board MOSFET goes, which, once again, is a great reason to never print unattended. FET failure can happen at any time and without warning. Watchdogs, fuses, logic, etc. cannot prevent disaster in this scenario. Only human intervention can.

I had a similar problem happen with a brand new chinese knock-off e3d. I had to cut a bunch of material off of the fins to make it fit lawsy's jigsaw, and then it turned out that the hole for the thermistor wasn't deep enough to get a good reading. Turned it on and the thing got hot enough to start damaging the surrounding plastic before Repetier read that it was ok to print. Thankfully, I noticed the horrible degassing fumes. Did a little cleanup and hole repair and it worked okay (until I tried to use it for PLA and it nearly caught fire again due to a clog).

Remember, never buy cheap knock offs from ebay. Buy the real thing, or you may really regret it later.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

TheBaron wrote:

never buy cheap knock offs from ebay. Buy the real thing, or you may really regret it later.

Sounds like a conversation I recently had big_smile

@Jagowilson- I am glad you caught it in time. And you hit the nail on the head: no preparation compares to human intervention.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

THIS!

no preparation compares to human intervention.

Even before I read this thread, I did not trust leaving our printer running unattended for more than a couple of minutes at a time (bathroom break, or to the kitchen for quick snack) there are just too many variables with something like this - too many things that "could" go terribly wrong. (and I don't have $700 to spend on a fire proof cabinet and auto halon suppression)

If a print is so big that it needs more than 10-12 hours to run - personally, I would either try to split it into smaller parts/pieces, or just not do it... But that is my choice. Even remote viewing and/or emergency shutdown control is not something I am interested in. If I can't be in the same room while the printer is running, then it isn't running. Period.

Part of the reasoning for me is that we live way out in the country in a 100 plus yr old house - response times for emergencies can be kind of long out here (volunteer fire dept...) A fire here could easily mean complete devastation by the time the FD arrives...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I generally will let longer prints go unattended, in the sense that they are running while I'm not paying attention to it. Usually I'm in the same room or, barring that, other people are in the room with it (sometimes I print in the living room, sometimes by my computer desk). I basically use the same sense I use with an oven or a toaster. Gotta keep checking on it and make sure nothing is wrong and don't leave it running when nobody is there to keep an eye on it.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

i don't want to bring up an old thread but something like this could work well:

http://www.amazon.com/BLAZECUT-Automati … B00D7M3E7O

http://blazecut.com/local-application/i … plication/

raptor

What I want is a smoke detector inside the printer enclosure connected to circuit breaker on the entire machine but have not found such a device.

Isn't this what the kickstarter Smoke Signal did? Can't figure out how to order it.

117 (edited by FordGalaxie 2015-08-03 21:59:37)

http://soliforum.com/i/?eICWCFU.jpg

I think I found out how your fire started... Was in my room not even 10 minutes ago warming up the bed and nozzle for a print.  Sitting at the computer I smelled something funny and turned around to see a thin vale of smoke in the room and paniced pulled the plug on the printer and opened a window after realizing there was no flames. 

Apparently with the constant use the main power wire and other nearby ones warmed up and melted together until two (im guessing) crossed and ignited.  I dont know if it ever got to open flame but it looks like it did.

I do have the 40mm fan (as pictured) but i dont always remember to turn it on.  Obviously that was a mistake.  Take heed people!

glad you caught it in time with no major damage, but kinda looks to me like there are some non-factory wires there? the fan is obviously not a factory install but what is with the twisted up ends on the red/burned wires at the bottom? I would say those are the source of your problem.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:

glad you caught it in time with no major damage, but kinda looks to me like there are some non-factory wires there? the fan is obviously not a factory install but what is with the twisted up ends on the red/burned wires at the bottom? I would say those are the source of your problem.

I was looking at that myself. It looks to me as to be the source of the fire. Was that connected to a heater? If so that wire was way to small for the current a heater pulls.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

If the connection of the power wires in the terminal block isn't very good, it causes extra resistance and heats up.  I had the power block on my Sanguinololu melt once or twice because one of the wires had pulled partway out after I turned the printer around.

The heat actually came from the power wire iitself. There were fan wires and stepper wires all melting their way INTO the power wire. It may have been a combination of the two though.

As for the exposed wires, I just twisted them together as a test a long while ago and forgot to make it permanent haha! You can bet I've fixed that now!

Also the fan there was a 40mm 12v fan wired to a 5v wall wart so it was barely cooling. I've wired it to a 12v source and now it spins full speed and will actually do some cooling! I'm probably going to add a bracket and put another 40mm fan directly over all those wires. Also I'm going to create some wire organizers to hold wires away from one another.

You shouldn't ever need to cool wires or terminals. If wires or terminals get warm/hot, they are underrated for the job they're performing.

123 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-08-04 14:19:29)

FordGalaxie wrote:

The heat actually came from the power wire iitself. There were fan wires and stepper wires all melting their way INTO the power wire. It may have been a combination of the two though.
As for the exposed wires, I just twisted them together as a test a long while ago and forgot to make it permanent haha! You can bet I've fixed that now!

The fire likely did not come from the power source wire. The manufacturer usually rates them for 120v/10a and that's far more than you should have been using. As stated before, your fire likely came from the exposed wire that was twisted together. It looks like it was taped? The wires could have touched and overheated or they could've overheated from being to small for the job as elmoret stated.

Electricity isn't something to play around with folks! I'm glad you were in the room and caught it before it caused any real damage.

FordGalaxie wrote:

Also the fan there was a 40mm 12v fan wired to a 5v wall wart so it was barely cooling. I've wired it to a 12v source and now it spins full speed and will actually do some cooling! I'm probably going to add a bracket and put another 40mm fan directly over all those wires. Also I'm going to create some wire organizers to hold wires away from one another.

I agree with elmoret. A fan could also feed a fire once it starts. It's far safer just to use the right wiring.

I know it was a long time ago, but my heart goes out to the OP of this thread. As a firefighter, I understand how quickly the fire can get out of control and how devastating it must be, especially have a child so close to danger. You can bet I'll be watching my printer much more closely from now on. You have my prayers; I hope you and your family have recovered from this and are doing well.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

124 (edited by heartless 2015-08-04 21:11:11)

josh.aeauto wrote:
FordGalaxie wrote:

The fire likely did not come from the power source wire. The manufacturer usually rates them for 120v/10a and that's far more than you should have been using. As stated before, your fire likely came from the exposed wire that was twisted together. It looks like it was taped? The wires could have touched and overheated or they could've overheated from being to small for the job as elmoret stated.

Electricity isn't something to play around with folks! I'm glad you were in the room and caught it before it caused any real damage.

FordGalaxie wrote:

I agree with elmoret. A fan could also feed a fire once it starts. It's far safer just to use the right wiring.

I know it was a long time ago, but my heart goes out to the OP of this thread. As a firefighter, I understand how quickly the fire can get out of control and how devastating it must be, especially have a child so close to danger. You can bet I'll be watching my printer much more closely from now on. You have my prayers; I hope you and your family have recovered from this and are doing well.

um, yeah...if the bare ends of those wires were exposed, that is definitely the source of the problem.

and I am not a big fan of  those plastic covered crimp connectors, either - have seen far too many fail and cause problems because they weren't crimped well enough.
Heat-shrink tubing is a far better alternative IMHO - twist the wires together tightly & securely, slide heat-shrink over the connection - make sure there is a good overlap of existing insulation on each end and heat to shrink tight.

heartless wrote:
josh.aeauto wrote:
FordGalaxie wrote:

FordGalaxie wrote:

um, yeah...if the bare ends of those wires were exposed, that is definitely the source of the problem.

and I am not a big fan of  those plastic covered crimp connectors, either - have seen far too many fail and cause problems because they weren't crimped well enough.
Heat-shrink tubing is a far better alternative IMHO - twist the wires together tightly & securely, slide heat-shrink over the connection - make sure there is a good overlap of existing insulation on each end and heat to shrink tight.

I take it a step further and solder the wires after twisting them and before sliding the shrink tube over them. I am just paranoid of them being pulled apart by accident.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.