51 (edited by coconnor55 2014-07-21 11:50:37)

Re: Beware your 3D printer (They can cause fires)

That's awful, Skyminer.  I ran two Solidoodle 3s around the clock for three months in my garage for my Kickstarter "Pinhole Printed" and I was constantly worried about that possibility.  I set up a Dropcam to watch the printers if I had to be away and WeMo switches to remotely kill the power, and a Nest smoke detector overhead to let me know at work if it went off - and I still worried I couldn't stop it in time.

Unfortunately, many things require more than 8-10 hours of printing time and there's no choice but to leave it running unattended some of the time.  The analogy to leaving the kitchen with a pot boiling is just not a good one.

In a perfect world, we'd have a metal shed with AC and power in the backyard just to run our printers.  More fail safes are an excellent idea and we'll just have to get used to the extra cost.

Here's a potential backup solution posted by Robert Lloyd on the Google Rigidbot forum - mount directly over the printer and power supply: on Amazon, search for B0030KM0V4 or Flame Defender (can't post the url).

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Systems-Flame … B0030KM0V4

coconnor55 wrote:

Here's a potential backup solution posted by Robert Lloyd on the Google Rigidbot forum - mount directly over the printer and power supply: on Amazon, search for B0030KM0V4 or Flame Defender (can't post the url).

Added url for you. That extinguisher definitely looks like a good option. I would like to see one of these actually discharge over a printer.

Also, +1 on Pinhole Printed. Amazing project! I will be buying one for sure to add to my camera collection.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

accusedmonk wrote:

So sorry to hear.  I was going to mention in another thread how I really don't trust printing when I'm not next to it.  WAY to many things can go wrong...  I feel terrible about the pet.

It's funny that you said you don't trust printing when you're not next to it. I don't trust printing when I AM next to it. With the melting plastic fumes coming from the printer, I don't think it's healthy to breath it in.

I do agree though, I hate to leave my machine printing itself.

Makergear M2, Solidoodle 2, Check out my 3D printing blog   http://3dprintertips.blogspot.com/

aprzy15 wrote:
accusedmonk wrote:

So sorry to hear.  I was going to mention in another thread how I really don't trust printing when I'm not next to it.  WAY to many things can go wrong...  I feel terrible about the pet.

It's funny that you said you don't trust printing when you're not next to it. I don't trust printing when I AM next to it. With the melting plastic fumes coming from the printer, I don't think it's healthy to breath it in.

I do agree though, I hate to leave my machine printing itself.

I worked at a injection molding/extrusion facility for 8 years. We melted and reformed plastics of all kinds including ABS 24/7 and there are no rules about fumes or PPE required for breathing. It would take ten thousand printers running constantly to produce the same volume of material. And there were monthly air quality tests (for other chemicals in downstream processes) that showed the extrusion area clear of any health dangers.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

56 (edited by Daid 2014-07-31 07:45:14)

David from Ultimaker here.

I got pointed to this topic from our own forums (no link allowed)

Why I'm posting here? First off, As a printer owner, and a pet owner I would like to offer my condolences to Skyminer. This should never have happened.

Also, let me be very clear on this one. Skyminer is right. You should be able to leave your printer running unattended. You might only do 6-8 prints. But some people run 52 hour prints. The machine should be as safe as possible. (And actually, European CE regulations require that you make precautions to prevent fire)

Next, I'm one of the main Marlin firmware developers. I work at Ultimaker (mainly on Cura, but that's besides the point here). And I'm high up on the safety importance. I actually already fixed a few safety features a year ago, which where broken.

However, no amount of firmware can fully protect you. I also have an electronics background, and I can tel you that the FETs used in the electronics can get "stuck" on "ON", so even if the firmware commands the heater to go off, it can stay on. So you need some kind of extra safety (extra relay to switch power off when you detect everything going wrong) or mechanical safety (forever heating not causing issues)

(I can provide more insights if needed. If any printer developer needs insight or assistance on safety, feel free to contact me at [email protected], yes, I work for Ultimaker. My information is free. No I'm not here to promote Ultimaker. I'm here to assist in safety&safety information, as I care about 3D printing as a whole. I also spend a few years working on safety system in traffic lights, so I know a bit about safety on both software&hardware levels)

Condolences to Skyminer.  With a wife and two kids in my house I am not particularly wild about leaving my printer running.  Especially overnight, but of course that invalidates the whole purpose of a CNC machine.  The intention is a machine that frees up my time, at least in this particular iteration. 

I like the fire extinguisher idea, except for that is quite the serious industrial solution.  Seeing as these are akin to laser printers, etc in my opinion as far as placement in the home... I think there should be a solution that is 99% as effective, but doesn't require a big red canister over head.  Although I think unlike many electronic items in our home a 3d printer has heating elements specifically designed to get very hot, and require active regulation for thousands of hours over the life of the printer. So extra precaution seems apparently very necessary.  But what that is I think is tricky to say.  Either you invalidate the compact nature of the system and create an industrial fire extinguisher solution, or require a compact sensor/relay package.  Not seeing too many other options.

Speaking of laser printers, they use very powerful heating elements, and on large print jobs (I realize are probably rare for most users) the printer seems like it to would need protection from a similar thermal overload situation.  I wonder what their solution is, if any. Regardless of if it's the bed heater, nozzle heater, or bad power supply.  It seems like the necessary solution would be like Daid pointed out, a master cut off relay. 

I am thinking about using a 30 amp AC solid state relay that I have left over from another project perhaps coupled with a smoke detector.  But then would it do any good... It may cut the power once smoke is detected, but that doesn't mean it stopped anything from catching fire.  Perhaps what is really necessary is a miniaturized version of the industrial fire extinguisher built in to the machine itself.  I am thinking about using the 12 - 25 gram CO2 cartridges coupled with the solid state relay and a smoke detector sensor placed on the inside at the top of the enclosure.  When x amount of smoke is detected have a servo release a pin that would puncture the CO2 cartridge flooding the chamber with C02 and signaling the relay to shut off. 

I am thinking this could be a very compact unit. that would be unobtrusive and invisible unless needed.  The extinguisher portion would not need to be much larger than the cartridge itself.  and you could use a nozzle to direct the CO2 directly down.

I realize this is not a very good fit for open air machines.  But could possibly be adapted.

58 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-12 18:18:17)

agreed this should be announced to media, how ever it is a known fact these are classified as a heating appliance just not designed for heating rooms or food but still has high levels of heat and hot surfaces. even a home furnace has multi over heat safety devices and redundancies but once in a while either from failed part, poor maintenance, use or installation even power surges. they too burn down homes and they are designed to operate un-watched or even while away from home hence insurance for unforeseen accidents. these 3D printers have no redundant safety limits there fore should not be left running UN-supervised unless in a open warehouse away from anything flammable so if it fails it just ends up a pile of ash with a tripped circuit breaker. hair dryers, curling irons, steam irons, toasters, microwaves etc all are same hazards. no recall can prevent disasters like this 100%. I wont leave mine running unless nearby watching for trouble. also it should be said even low voltage power packs like for charging your cel phone etc have caught fire and many get hot under normal operation and shouldnt be left plugged in when not in use or leaving home etc. I have seen nearby lightening strikes cause appliances like range exhaust hood fans that where turned off but always hooked to power short and catch fire. also things with surge protectors being overloaded from lightening.

Mitch

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

ask firemen about ball lightening or google it. though rare it still occurs and can reach temps exceeding that of the sun for a few seconds and move about even pass through walls etc.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I have my printer in the laundry room and mounted this
on the ceiling above it.
http://www.ardentfire.com/ceiling-mount … uisher.htm

Ultimaker S3.

n2ri wrote:

ask firemen about ball lightening or google it. though rare it still occurs and can reach temps exceeding that of the sun for a few seconds and move about even pass through walls etc.

A very interesting topic, but I doubt ball lightening is among the list of primary concerns in 3D printing.
The black hole theory is a good hypothesis, but I think electrostatic is more of a possibility...though possible, very improbably. You have a much better chance of a gas station blowing sky high than a a printer bursting in flames via ball lightening.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

dubbsd I think that's a great solution, although it's still a giant red balloon hanging from my ceiling, and I want my 3d printing support systems to be tiny to nonexistent. 

But I'd be totally into that kind of a solution.

dubbsd wrote:

I have my printer in the laundry room and mounted this
on the ceiling above it.
http://www.ardentfire.com/ceiling-mount … uisher.htm

these depending what is inside can be dangerous to air breathing life forms if safe for electrical fires plus cost more than printer. made for commercial applications I was trained for similar types as facility engineer for MCI Worldcom and health centers.

Mitch

AZERATE wrote:
n2ri wrote:

A very interesting topic, but I doubt ball lightening is among the list of primary concerns in 3D printing.
The black hole theory is a good hypothesis, but I think electrostatic is more of a possibility...though possible, very improbably. You have a much better chance of a gas station blowing sky high than a a printer bursting in flames via ball lightening.

I was just informing of another type of rare source of fire causing item most are unaware of.

And thank you for that! I enjoy learning new things.
I, as I am sure many of us, believe the thermistor slipped out of place, then allowing the heater to run wild. It is very possible as the kapton around the block can loosen once heated...which happened to me yesterday when heat cycling for my new hotend. I took the time to wrap more kapton, thinking about this very thread the entire time.

I find Skyminer's unfortunate event is not only a sobering one, but also bares a thread just as important as a beginner's walkthrough on printing.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Should these small necessities secured with small screws, they should not become loose whatever during normal use ..

TommyF wrote:

Should these small necessities secured with small screws, they should not become loose whatever during normal use ..

The E3D v6 addresses this...
http://www.filastruder.com/products/all … -v6-hotend

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

For sake of conversation on safety, if using a Sang/Rumba/etc, the wires may loosen out of the power terminals causing sparks and melting and other problems. A Printrboard uses a barrel connector which would make a safer connection.

AZERATE wrote:

For sake of conversation on safety, if using a Sang/Rumba/etc, the wires may loosen out of the power terminals causing sparks and melting and other problems. A Printrboard uses a barrel connector which would make a safer connection.

I tin multicore wires with solder before putting them into screw terminals, usually reduces the chance of escape.

In industrial machinery people use bootlace crimps on the wire ends for the same reason.

In any case, clamping the power cable to the case would prevent any load from being put on the termination; might be a good idea in any case to prevent accidental disconnection (including with the barrel connector).

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

Agreed. I've been thinking the last couple days of the best way to anchor the wires without drilling into the Doodle frame.

AZERATE wrote:

Agreed. I've been thinking the last couple days of the best way to anchor the wires without drilling into the Doodle frame.

Ech, stop being precious and get your drill out! smile
You can get sticky cable clamps from the hardware store too, that could also help with cable tidying in general.

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

grob wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

Ech, stop being precious and get your drill out! smile
You can get sticky cable clamps from the hardware store too, that could also help with cable tidying in general.

+1 big_smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

But...but... sad
ok

Do a nice job and make it look good!

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

75 (edited by slowjoe 2014-08-18 17:41:49)

I had my thermistor come loose once on my Solidoodle 3 and it fried the Peek. While replacing it I made the attached mod, which I think does a better job of attaching the Thermistor than just the tape. The thermistor is surrounded on almost three sides, making more contact with the brass nozzle, which holds it in place more securely and hopefully makes the heat measurement more accurate.

Post's attachments

print nozzle.jpg 80.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 with 1/8" glass on bed, sprayed with Suave extra-hold hair spray. Acrylic enclosure.