Re: Beware your 3D printer (They can cause fires)

and that is perfectly acceptable. a little paranoia with electricity is actually a good thing! LOL

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Soldering is the right answer here.

elmoret wrote:

Yep, if you don't know how to solder spend $30 and watch a how to video.  It's an essential skill if 3dprinting is your hobby.  If soldering isn't something you are willing to try, at least learn how to create a western union splice.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Yep, if you don't know how to solder spend $30 and watch a how to video.  It's an essential skill if 3dprinting is your hobby.  If soldering isn't something you are willing to try, at least learn how to create a western union splice.

didn't know it had a special name, but after googling 'western union splice', that is exactly the type of splice I have used for years (both with and without solder)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I have done the same splice for years as well without knowing the name...
Thanks wardjr!

And a heat shrink tubing over it to seal the deal helps!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

When I splice a pair of wires like that, each wire is soldered, then heat shrink put over, then another heat shrink over the pair  as well.  It's cleans it up an adds strength to the splice.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Very sorry to hear about what happened.  After reading through all these posts, I feel there are some other dangers to consider. 

Hair spray.  If the bed is sprayed and you have an enclosed printer, you have a situation where a properfuel air mixture could occur.  The ignition point is likely lower than the plastic.  Just one spark from a loose wire and it would be in flames.... Think spudgun....

This wouldn't necessarily happen right away either.... the gases could linger in the enclosure till the mix is just right, or stick around until something sparks.

Have there been any tests to try to create a sizable fire by purposely causing a hot end overheat?

jmdw52 wrote:

Very sorry to hear about what happened.  After reading through all these posts, I feel there are some other dangers to consider. 

Hair spray.  If the bed is sprayed and you have an enclosed printer, you have a situation where a properfuel air mixture could occur.  The ignition point is likely lower than the plastic.  Just one spark from a loose wire and it would be in flames.... Think spudgun....

This wouldn't necessarily happen right away either.... the gases could linger in the enclosure till the mix is just right, or stick around until something sparks.

Have there been any tests to try to create a sizable fire by purposely causing a hot end overheat?

That kind of fire would burn out to quick and not be of a sufficient temperature to ignite anything in the printer itself. The vapors burn off with in seconds and worse it might do is blow your enclosure door open.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

so your saying that with all the little strands of plastic which are usually sitting  in the bottom, plus the hot filament coming from the extruder, that is it NOT POSSIBLE for hair spray to serve as an ignition point???  Isn't the purpose of this thread to discuss potential hazrads?  Why dismiss this so quickly?

135 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-09-25 12:49:57)

jmdw52 wrote:

so your saying that with all the little strands of plastic which are usually sitting  in the bottom, plus the hot filament coming from the extruder, that is it NOT POSSIBLE for hair spray to serve as an ignition point???  Isn't the purpose of this thread to discuss potential hazrads?  Why dismiss this so quickly?

The reason hairspray is "flamable" is the aerosol that propels it. This evaporates almost immediately, so unless you're spraying hairspray across an already burning fire, hairspray won't cause fires nor will it accelerate a fire that starts later on. Hairspray is only dangerous while it is being sprayed; dried hairspray is not dangerous.

- Firefighter

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Anything is possible, many users have been safely using hair spray without issue.  If you're worried about it then simply apply with your printer turned off and with the enclosure (if you have one) open.  The stuff is, after all, called hairspray.  I remember a time when women smoking while apply their hairspray would ignite their heads on fire.  It only took a couple of those stories to hit the news before they changed the warning on the can.  So should Aquanet put a warning that tells us to be safe when using their products for printing? I think not.
Just use our heads and be safe.  Your printer shouldn't be tossing sparks around in the first place.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

137 (edited by SolidUser 2015-09-30 14:11:12)

What if the E3D cooling fan shuts off; will enough heat go up the cooling fins to melt the PLA mount?

potentially, yes.

personal opinion really, but I would not be using PLA for printer parts - especially the hotend mount.

SolidUser wrote:

What if the E3D cooling fan shuts off; will enough heat go up the cooling fins to melt the PLA mount?

I have all fans powered via a separate power supply. Like a numskull, yesterday I began a print without turning the fans on.
The printed fan shroud warped to the point of falling off and flopping around mid print. It caused a solid clog which caused the Hobb Goblin to completely chew through the filament, severing it just about the PTFE. The extruder warped enough to change from a tight fit to a wobbling mess.
That all happened in the 5 minutes I went out for a smoke.

Unless you use high temp PLA you do not want to use any mechanical parts in PLA. My ABS parts warped after 5 minutes, so image PLA in that time. No bueno.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Sound like 2 thermal fuses should be used, in series, for the extruder: a high temp one attached to the heater block, and a lower temp one attached to the cooling fins or maybe the bottom of the plastic extruder where the fins attach.

SolidUser wrote:

Sound like 2 thermal fuses should be used, in series, for the extruder: a high temp one attached to the heater block, and a lower temp one attached to the cooling fins or maybe the bottom of the plastic extruder where the fins attach.

Reiterating that thermal fuses aren't really available in high enough temperatures to be useful on an extruder (240C is the max rating
I've found, and this is approximately what most people print ABS at - you'd want something a bit higher ideally!).

Indirect methods you should probably test at least once - e.g. a lower-rated thermal fuse on the heatsink. You'd have to be confident that in a typical over-heat scenario this fuse did actually trip before the nozzle started to smoke...

Az could fix his error by interlocking his fan power and heater power - probably the easiest way to do that would be to have them on the same supply. smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

I would need to take my mattress out in order to fit that cabinet in my apartment. lol

diyengineer wrote:

I would think a fire rated chemical cabinet (the big yellow ones) would be the best option for unattended printing. One could also rig up a fire extinguisher (Halon) to a relay that is tripped by the smoke detector. Also have the smoke detector trip the power relay. Another relay could be used externally to drop off power if internet connection was lost, not allowing you to keep an eye remotely on your print. A lot of hoops to jump through, at that point you might want to look at leasing a commercial printer, or picking up a second hand commercial printer if your doing multi day prints.

Automatic halon suppression: $185
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Fight-Produc … atic+halon

Fire cabinet: $515
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q8 … _i=desktop

$700 bucks and im pretty sure you would be safe to print as long as you like.

Most of the fire danger depends on the printers construction. The newer mostly metal printers will present very little fire danger and I would have no worries about running my CTC all metal Dual over night or while at work. These printers that have a lot of plastic in their construction are going to be the one to worry about.

On modern PCB's the parts are all made to self extinguish so the chance of the controller being a fire source is very low. The heaters as long as they are mounted to/on metal surfaces should not pose much of a fire risk either. Honestly unless you just own a Frankenprinter that is built of plastic and/or wood and has wires all over the place  I would not be really concerned. I have been printing for over 8 years and have owned 6 different printers.

I have had 24 hour prints run on all of them and never had an issue. I am just going to keep taking my chances and trust in the construction of my current units Which are nearly 75+% all metal. And 100% metal in all the areas a fire could be generated.

I am not saying a fire is not possible but I feel it is about as possible with a modern printer as it is with a computer or TV or other electric/electronic appliance.

144 (edited by jagowilson 2015-10-07 18:53:04)

carl_m1968 wrote:

I am not saying a fire is not possible but I feel it is about as possible with a modern printer as it is with a computer or TV or other electric/electronic appliance.

all it takes is a warped part to rip out your thermistor and cause thermal runaway as the thermistor is stuck reading room temp. your printer also works with temperatures far higher than anything else in your house, even your stove. E3D backed down to 25w heaters, which makes this less of a disaster (used to be 40w which will melt the aluminum quite easily). You could also blow a FET on the heatbed while you're away, sending it into thermal runaway which even a printer halt won't be able to stop (because the FET is broken)

biggest risk with the PCB is poor connections to screw terminals, which get hot and will catch fire. I can't even count how many times I've seen that on /r/3dprinting or the RepRap forums and mailing lists.

145 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-10-07 23:45:19)

jagowilson wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

all it takes is a warped part to rip out your thermistor and cause thermal runaway as the thermistor is stuck reading room temp. your printer also works with temperatures far higher than anything else in your house, even your stove. E3D backed down to 25w heaters, which makes this less of a disaster (used to be 40w which will melt the aluminum quite easily). You could also blow a FET on the heatbed while you're away, sending it into thermal runaway which even a printer halt won't be able to stop (because the FET is broken)

biggest risk with the PCB is poor connections to screw terminals, which get hot and will catch fire. I can't even count how many times I've seen that on /r/3dprinting or the RepRap forums and mailing lists.

This is a design issue and hotend designers should consider this. My hotends on my CTC use thermocouples. Those are actually bolted to the side of the hotend and the wires are jacketed in a stainless steel braid. They will not get pulled out or off by any force that the steppers could put on them. As for thermistor based systems why is the thermistor not mounted from the top of the hotend?

I feel most if not all of these printer fires can be attributed to one or both of two things. Rushed mods and poor wire handling.

Rushed mods include such things as upgraded beds that exceed the capacity of the switching MOSFETS. Upgraded hotends that again maybe not knowing went from a 25 to 40 watt heater and again exceeding the MOSFETS capacity.

Poor wire handling can include bad or unprotected splices, poor crimps, loose connections, poor routing and so on.

I would be really curious to see or know if anyone has had a fire that actually started a flame on an all stock machine.

I am not downplaying the importance of safety here but I also don't feel there is a need for extreme paranoia about a fire in your machine either.

As long as you take the time to research the parts and make sure they are within your hardware capability, you take the time crimp the wires properly, use crimp type splices or solder splices and cover them with shrink tubing or actual electrical tape and you make sure all your connections are secure and use proper terminals I see a printer as being just as safe as a clothes dryer, or space heater.

Now for added safety, I don't see why nobody has written code at the firmware level that will monitor temp and stepper activity. If the temp drops or rises by more than 50 degrees while the steppers are running then it will shut down the heaters. If the motors stop for more than say 30 seconds while the machine is at set temp it shuts down power. Yes I know there is the danger of a stuck MOSFET but if you have a logic controller relay on your mains then that takes care of that. Just use a mechanical latching relay that requires a person to reset it for normal operation.

I myself will take my chances. As I said you have circuit boards all over your house now so the chance of a circuit board fire is all around you now and there is a lot of stuff that is running on standby mode or on an automatic system that always has power on it.

As for the heater cart getting hot enough to melt Aluminum I would need to see some proof on that. I am pretty sure the connections to the heater cartridge would fail long before it got that hot but I may be wrong. Also you don't have to have aluminum in your hot end. The B3 Pico is solid stainless steel. My CTC (now FlashForge copy) uses steel for the block as well. Again though I seriously doubt it could get hot enough to melt the heater block before the heater itself failed or opened.

Here's one picture. I saw a picture of a melted block and nozzle once too, I'm sure I can find it.

http://i.imgur.com/U7MrGRch.jpg

147 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-10-08 05:05:16)

Well like I said, just another reason not to use aluminum. Your printer is only as strong as it's weakest component.

There is a reason why they stopped using aluminum in home wiring.

148 (edited by jagowilson 2015-10-08 15:32:04)

I would imagine aluminum is cheaper to machine than, say, SS. Only the heatbreak on an e3d is SS, to my knowledge. besides, the 25w heater can't do this, just the 40w. They were only using the 40w initially because 25w weren't available yet.

And just so we're 100% clear here... on how much your hotend CAN melt...

http://i.imgur.com/sbwOxZm.jpg

jagowilson wrote:

I would imagine aluminum is cheaper to machine than, say, SS. Only the heatbreak on an e3d is SS, to my knowledge. besides, the 25w heater can't do this, just the 40w. They were only using the 40w initially because 25w weren't available yet.

All of this is correct. Also aluminum is a better conduct of heat, improving hotend performance and actually reducing the heater temperature since with an aluminum block heater and nozzle temperatures are more similar.