Re: Beware your 3D printer (They can cause fires)

mods like this are interesting, and possilble on an open system... but what about the new SD Press? It's entirely enclosed. I wonder if the plastic enclosure is fire-retardant?

Rochey wrote:

mods like this are interesting, and possilble on an open system... but what about the new SD Press? It's entirely enclosed. I wonder if the plastic enclosure is fire-retardant?

Most likely not.
One could easily confirm this by holding a zippo up to it big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

To add to this conversation, I had a home (work?) built Prusa i3 that some coworkers and I put together in 8/2013.  I was running with an E3D v4.  The kapton tape method (I recommend fire cement as the only way now) of keeping the thermistor in place was not adequate and I very nearly burned down my office on an overnight print when the thermistor must have come out.

The printer was a write off, the office had smoke damage that had to be cleaned and I was very, very lucky that my printer was metal framed and mounted to a fire retardant surface.

I know that a software change that detected a large difference between setpoint and actual above 100C would cover most cases and should be implemented in the firmware (I don't think any firmwares currently have this specific implementation).  However, it is still possible for a software or hardware failure to cause 100% power to the heater so manufacturers should test the stock setup with runaway conditions to ensure that the worst that happens is a melted hot end.

This is the second E3D fire that I'm aware of.  The poor thermistor mounting and multi part construction caused me to switch to a Pico on my personal printer.  So far I haven't burned my home down but I'm still trepidatious every time I do a long print.

In the meantime, my office will not allow the UM2 to be run unattended until we have created a fire resistant enclosure.

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

79 (edited by IronMan 2014-08-21 19:29:11)

I believe the latest version of Marlin from Erik Zalm has a routine to monitor runaway heaters based on a settable time (seconds).  As I understand it (and I'm not an expert), if the heater can not catch up to what the thermistor is sensing in, say 20 seconds, it assumes a thermistor is suddenly too far from the heater and then the whole board shuts down.  Same function for the heated build platform as well.

This does not monitor the PS or other components of the control board necessarily, but it does add some comfort...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

It would be quite possible to make a electrical cut-off on the same principal as a fire sprinkler, and you guys already have the equipment to do it. 

Theoretically, the only place where it should get hot enough to melt the filament is INSIDE or right adjacent to the extruder, so if you were to use a piece of filament as a trigger to hold a switch closed.  place it above the extruder or printer.  If it gets hot enough to melt the plastic then the switch opens and turns off power allowing it to cool.

Or if you want a lower temperature "trigger" use a stick of low temperature hot glue which melts at 120 C.

as I do not yet have a printer I can not actually test this out, however I could do up the electrical design, and a concept device if people like the idea.  an easy DIY deal.

Solidoodle Workbench

81 (edited by n2ri 2014-10-01 23:43:50)

yes thermal fuses of many temps can be bought at Heating Air-conditioning parts suppliers as they are used in electric heating coils and also gas fueled furnaces for safety overheat. they come both in a tiny metal resister size and mounted inside ceramic holders, also gas furnace flame roll out switches with reset buttons normally set at 120F can be found there. be sure to state if for low voltage DC or High voltage AC use. duct fire detectors for alarms come set at 120F

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Found this on Kickstarter today
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 … d-printers

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

wire10ga wrote:

If the printer is already on fire, what good would it do to cut off the power?

The Kickstarter page explains it this way:

Printer fires are frequently caused by poor electrical connections that overheat and catch fire.  By detecting the smoke emitted before an actual flame breaks out, Smoke Signal may be able to prevent a full fledged fire by removing the power source.

Does this mean I can safely leave my printer unattended?
No.  Smoke Signal may make it safer to leave a printer alone, but no safety system is foolproof.

I'd imagine it's possible that the failure that produces the initial spark / smoke might not spread if the energy source is disconnected, but if it's left connected a small initial failure (sparking of insulation, etc) might cause a larger self-sustaining fire (e.g. plastic ignites).

Definitely not a mitigation for all failure modes, but I do think it's valid for some.

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

Rincewind wrote:
wire10ga wrote:

If the printer is already on fire, what good would it do to cut off the power?

It can't hurt if it's smoking but not on fire yet, but yes, I agree with you.  Interdiction needs to happen before things are hot enough to start smoking.

Boots Industries v2.5 Delta
Robo 3D with Pico Hot End, ViKi LCD, OctoPi, EZStruder, Precision Rods, Extended Z Height

86 (edited by OneMoreCast 2015-01-06 07:11:40)

gr3g wrote:

Skyminer, my deepest condolences on your situation.. The photo you posted makes me feel physically sick and nervous to use the SD2 I just bought sad

To SD and everyone here, most will have forgotten that in the early 1900s it was commonplace for electrical appliances to start fires and injure or even kill people. These instances are what lead to institutions such as Underwriters Laboratories and the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval", etc.--institutions which are still operating today.

For 3d printers to gain mass acceptance, they have to be absolutely safe. To me the SD2 and SD3 don't look like products that aim for mass acceptance. But the SD4 on the other hand...

I have a Cubify Cube at home, and though I can't find the symbol on it, I read somewhere that they are UL listed (I can't find this either on UL's databases). But the point I want to make is the hot end on the Cube has 2 safety features:

1. A Cantherm Thermal Cutoff, Model DF77s is soldered inline with the thermocouple line. This particular element opens the thermocouple circuit at 77 deg C and is mounted in the extruder.

2. The thermocouple line is wrapped around what is either a thermistor or a glass encapsulated RTD. The element produces a voltage per temperature which the electronics can easily work with (mine has failed and was why I took apart my extruder).

Now, neither of these components will cost more than $2 in volume. Hoping this inspires some further discussion on the subject, -Greg

Hey Greg, as an electrician by trade I can tell you first hand just because a product is "UL listed does not make it safe or hell even to code. Some things that get a UL stamp are a direct contridiction to the NEC, and just general common sense in regards to safety. Unfortunately though litte has been done. My condolences and sympathy to the OP, but just because something has an underwriters stamp does not make it safe. Squid strips are a fire hazard because it allows you to easily overload a ckt by plugging in 10 things, yes a breaker is suppose to trip but many people dont replace breakers like they should (I'll start new post to not go too far off course)...UL listed, just one example but theres hundreds. As far as having a temp cutoff im going to look around into hardware I use during my job and maybe somebody w some code ability will find something sooner but this is a nightmare im sure we all have (and should)

Edit: once printer arrives (soon hopefully) I will do some tests with inline thermal cutoff fuses and general thermal cutoffs for entire printer

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

Ward and Jago are my heroes tongue

Hazer wrote:

Thermal fuses look at ambient temperature, so placed even a few mm from the main heating element, the fuse can be rated much, much lower and still be functional. Taking into account the difference of the core heat and the radiating heat.

Thst doesnt help if there is a fan on your extruder. Also, you really do want the cutoff on the heater block. You want to be certain to cutoff the power of the actual source. Otherwise, you could get to the point of an actual fire before the cutoff kicks in and its too late.

All of this only mitigates thermal runaway, and does not consider an equally likely occurrence of electrical short.

The first bit is for a post about member who could only find 240° fuses...They have adjustable ones all the way up to 750°c, solder type glass and tube, clamp, probe, direct etc...also use a GFI or better yet a GFI breaker for the outlet/circuit your printers plugged into.

"All your base are belong to us." SD4 with a RUMBA, supernight PS, 40mm fan on X motor, lawsey carriages with new better tolerance rods, flanged rear bearings, new NEMA 17 with leadscrew on Z-Axis, and e3d v6 with MK5.

Ward and Jago are my heroes tongue

88 (edited by mdrVB6 2015-02-08 15:33:41)

I'm bumping this thread because I had a close one last night!  Picture:

http://i.imgur.com/p47nkD7.jpg

The printer was running fine all day so I figured it was okay to start a 4 hour print an let it go overnight. I watched about the first 20 minutes then went to bed and saw this when I got up in the morning.

Here is what I think happened: The object (tiki head) has some overhangs, so what I think happened is while it was printing at a high speed, an overhang curled up and the nozzle caught it, causing the Y skip.  Then the plastic continued to curl, causing further skips and the plastic (nylon) kept building up.  Eventually, it snagged the thermistor wire and pulled it out.  Notice the thermistor still hanging beside the heater block instead of inside it.  At this point, I think it was pure luck that the heater did not run away and cause a fire!

The print did finish.  I never knew this, but I guess at super high temps the dye can burn right out of nylon because you can see how the bottom of the piece is brown but it goes to green and then singed black.  Also, the nozzle and heater block used to have some gunk on them, but that was burned clean off and its pretty clean with a hint of singed plastic all around. 

I dodged a bullet on this one.  I knew the risk and decided to go for it, so I'm not blaming anyone else.  I will think a little harder about running the printer while I am away from it.  I can't say I'll never do it again but if the object has any overhangs or I have not printed it before, I will be there to keep an eye on it.  Stay safe out there.

Edit: amazingly, the thermistor was still functional and reading room temp by the time I got back to it in the morning.  I replaced it anyway.  Perhaps it was reading the temp very close to the heater block and that prevented a total run away heating scenario.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

89 (edited by jagowilson 2015-02-08 17:12:27)

Wow you are indeed very lucky!!! Glad you are okay! Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like your nozzle turned a ghostly color.

Unattended printing is just not worth the risk.

Wow, indeed, this is exactly the thing that worries me.  Has anyone seen an inline thermal fuse like they put in hair dryers that cut off at an appropriate temperature for printing?  Also, I think Repetier-Host could add some additional safety to the code easily enough.  Like, if it sees your extruder temperature suddenly change faster than is possible, to shut down.  This doesn't really eliminate the threat since R.H. sometimes crashes, but at least this kind of failure mechanism can be avoided.  What temperature was the open circuit extruder thermister reading?

91 (edited by TickTock 2015-02-08 17:50:34)

I just found (and ordered) this.  Cuts off at 280C - should be good for ABS & Nylon.  The idea is to place it in series with the heater connection so whether it is the microcontroller that goes out to lunch or the thermister get ripped off, the extruder will turn off if the temperature gets too high.

Yes, the nozzle turned a ghostly color because it got so hot it burned off any debris that was one there.  It is a well used nozzle so the entire underside was caked on ABS and that burned clean off down to bare bronze.  It must have been very hot.

Where would you install a thermal fuse like the one linked?  I don't know if that could be made to work with a 3D printer, at least not at the hobbiest level.  I like the solution of using 2 thermistors and having it cut off if the temp differential between them gets to a certain amount.  Yes, its another point of failure but I think it would be worth it.  I wish E3D would impliment it and firmware was available to do this, because its over my head to write the code.

mdrVB6 wrote:

Where would you install a thermal fuse like the one linked?

I just ordered another E3dv6 (planned to, anyway, for backup) and will try to find a place to machine a hole that doesn't interfere with the heater or the thermister before installing.  Worse-case, I can drill and tap a small hole to clamp it to the outside.  Any suggestions, Elmoret, on how to add to an E3d?

TickTock wrote:

Also, I think Repetier-Host could add some additional safety to the code easily enough.  Like, if it sees your extruder temperature suddenly change faster than is possible, to shut down.  This doesn't really eliminate the threat since R.H. sometimes crashes, but at least this kind of failure mechanism can be avoided.

Marlin already does this. If the PID loop calls for an increase in heat and commands 100% heater but there is no corresponding increase in temperature, the watchdog kills the print. Most likely, mdrVB6 is running a very outdated version or Marlin or the print would have stopped when the thermistor pulled out.

TickTock wrote:

What temperature was the open circuit extruder thermister reading?

Open circuit thermistors read 0C, which trips MINTEMP. His didn't go open circuit, though.

mdrVB6 wrote:

I wish E3D would impliment it and firmware was available to do this, because its over my head to write the code.

Most boards can't measure a second thermistor. Marlin does support a second thermistor and cross-check, has for a while now.

If you're concerned about it and have no need to go over 300C, just pick up a 25w heater cartridge to replace the 40w.

Hotends aren't the only thing on a 3D printer that can catch fire. A thermal fuse would not make it ok to print unattended.

96 (edited by TickTock 2015-02-09 00:19:57)

elmoret wrote:

A thermal fuse would not make it ok to print unattended.

Maybe not, but it is a good precaution.  In addition to thermal fuses on the extruder and heat bed, I have ordered one of these on a tip from jagowilson in another thread.  My printer sits in a 6x6 equipment closet along with a bunch of other operating equipment/machinery I don't want to have to listen to while I am working so having an overhead fire suppressant makes a lot of sense.  However, since I will probably destroy everything in that closet if that thing ever trips I want to do whatever I can to make sure it never has to.  What I want is a smoke detector inside the printer enclosure connected to circuit breaker on the entire machine but have not found such a device.  Found a  couple of companies with intentions but no actual products.  Wouldn't be a hard Arduino project but I'd rather not reinvent it if I don't have to.  I need to get to a point where I *can* leave a print going while I do other stuff (or sleep) - I can't afford to babysit it all day.

elmoret wrote:

Most likely, mdrVB6 is running a very outdated version or Marlin or the print would have stopped when the thermistor pulled out.

I would be interested in fixing that.  I pulled my version from adrian's github maybe 6 months ago when I installed by RUMBA.  Any idea where to get an updated version?  Disclaimer: I have not looked for myself yet, about to start...

TickTock wrote:

What I want is a smoke detector inside the printer enclosure connected to circuit breaker on the entire machine but have not found such a device.  Found a  couple of companies with intentions but no actual products.

Removing electricity from a fire does not extinguish said fire.

The *only* acceptable solution for unattended printing is a fireproof cabinet.

mdrVB6 wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Most likely, mdrVB6 is running a very outdated version or Marlin or the print would have stopped when the thermistor pulled out.

I would be interested in fixing that.  I pulled my version from adrian's github maybe 6 months ago when I installed by RUMBA.  Any idea where to get an updated version?  Disclaimer: I have not looked for myself yet, about to start...

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marli … guration.h

Start reading at line 247

mdrVB6 wrote:
elmoret wrote:

I would think you are running Adrian's V1_beta??? It's in there

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions