Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

Printin' dat nylon:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1786359/Photo%20Apr%2023%2C%201%2002%2020%20PM.jpg

Anyone have links for different pellets?

I purchased ABS off ebay thanks to Tims link (why can't I post a link?).

I will need other pellets like PLA and maybe Nylon.

Ralph

Ralphxyz wrote:

Anyone have links for different pellets?

I purchased ABS off ebay thanks to Tims link (why can't I post a link?).

I will need other pellets like PLA and maybe Nylon.

Ralph

osprintingllc.com for PLA and HDPE.

No Nylon pellets that I know of, but I'm working on it.

You can't post a link until you have like 5 posts, it's an anti-spam feature of the message board.

Congrats to Tim and co. on the wildly successful campaign,  now comes the fun part!

cmetzel wrote:

Congrats to Tim and co. on the wildly successful campaign,  now comes the fun part!

One chapter closes and another begins. Thanks to all the beta testers for their support so far!

How has the PLA and HDPE extruding gone? Anything we need to know? Is there/will there be a FAQ of settings etc.?

Ralph

Ralphxyz wrote:

How has the PLA and HDPE extruding gone? Anything we need to know? Is there/will there be a FAQ of settings etc.?

Ralph

I have some HDPE pellets laying around but have not attempted to extrude any. If you choose to extrude any HDPE it needs to be on a clean pipe nipple & nozzle as any abs will cause problems.

Note: I had problems mixing ABS with a small amount of HDPE. Might not be a problem doing the opposite.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

PSA: If you are ever pledging for a Kickstarter campaign, PLEASE make sure you have selected the proper reward and pledge amount for what you actually want.

Sigh.

Kickstarter should send a email around 24 hours before a kickstarter is ending, I think some people back the project and they pretty much forget about it. Some people are also just incompetent.

Seshan wrote:

Kickstarter should send a email around 24 hours before a kickstarter is ending, I think some people back the project and they pretty much forget about it. Some people are also just incompetent.

I sent such an email 36 hours before... sad

elmoret wrote:

PSA: If you are ever pledging for a Kickstarter campaign, PLEASE make sure you have selected the proper reward and pledge amount for what you actually want.

Sigh.

Sounds like you got some work ahead of you. Hire an intern.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Wow Tim... Congrats you have a TON of work ahead of you smile   Maybe get the Filabot team to help you out. haha... I joined this thread on Page 15!  We're up to Page #57.  Can wait to get my kit (I have a long wait though!)

I can't believe you did beta testing, Launched a Kick Starter, finished a kick starter with 6.5x the funding and are going to start shipping before the filabot is even off the ground.

The more I think about the reclaiming (I know it's been brought up before). But unless you have a HUGE amount of a single colour... it doesn't make sense... As it takes a long time to purge out the previous colour.

Anyway.  Great work.  I'm glad to see the nipple will be laser cut and the nozzle will be pre-drilled!

Ben

Congratulation!

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

Please, tell me what is the distance between the to face of the auger and brass cap? I think this is is a problem of my extruder as mine the auger face is almost in contact with the brass cap. Also, please, tell me how long is the die - the extrusion hole in your brass cap? Thank you.

nobody can help with an answer?

It's about 2" I think.  On the Filastruder, the auger stops at about the beginning of the coupler.  I think the brass plug is about 22mm thick.

First of all, Thank you. On one hand this explain my failures, on other hand I am little bit confused. Do you mean 2" from the top face of the auger to the bottom face of the brass cap, which means that the melting zone in which it is just melted abs between the auger and brass cap is 2". Sorry for keep asking but I am not very sure about my English language comprehension.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1786359/Filastruder/hotend.png

Hopefully this solves your question...

Thank you. So, the auger should be cut at the end of the nipple. I suppose that there is a distance of less 1". I really appreciate. I have been very frustrated as I did not understand the poor performance of my extruder. Just today early in the morning I realized that there must be a melting zone between the auger and brass cap where the pressure must be created. Thank you again.

zoltan wrote:

Thank you. So, the auger should be cut at the end of the nipple. I suppose that there is a distance of less 1". I really appreciate. I have been very frustrated as I did not understand the poor performance of my extruder. Just today early in the morning I realized that there must be a melting zone between the auger and brass cap where the pressure must be created. Thank you again.

There is no "should", really. I am no expert.

I have read two textbooks and many papers on extrusion theory, you should look into them.

Typically, there is space between the end of the screw and the beginning of the nozzle/die:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Injection_moulding.png/800px-Injection_moulding.png

Anyway, your questions are not about a Filastruder, so if you don't mind could you make further posts in the Projects section? This thread is already 57 pages long, let's try to stay on topic.

1,421 (edited by AdamMcCallister 2013-04-30 07:31:00)

Wow. You guys are great. elmoret ty for helping me in my thread and good luck to your project. this is definitely the next thing I get.

Also just noticed your kickstarter campaign... Thats impressive, sir. I put on a hat just to tip it in what i believe is your general direction. You just wont at life.

Random question 1. Where did the logo on the enclosure come from?
and 2. Where can I get one, or digital files so I can make one?

Has anyone tried to add metal powder (such as aluminum or iron) or other mineral dyes to extruded plastic?

Nimikin wrote:

Random question 1. Where did the logo on the enclosure come from?
and 2. Where can I get one, or digital files so I can make one?

A graphic designer. Did you get a Kickstarter kit?

Nimikin wrote:

Has anyone tried to add metal powder (such as aluminum or iron) or other mineral dyes to extruded plastic?

Metal powder would wear the nozzle pretty rapidly - like sandblasting. It'd also clog the nozzle of the printer, unless the particle size was << nozzle size.