Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

elmoret wrote:

~4"/min.

What is the rpm at this extrusion ?

elmoret wrote:
knarf2011 wrote:

Some parts are thick enough, but it's inconsistent. I suppose i should try a lower temp, as the thicker parts seem to represent the times when the temp was lower (I don't know why, it just lowered at seemingly random moments and then went back up).

190 is too hot, and if the temperature is swinging, you need to auto-tune the PID.

I extrude at 194 just fine.

+1 on the auto-tune of the PID

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

serkanc wrote:
elmoret wrote:

~4"/min.

~1.5.

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:
knarf2011 wrote:

Some parts are thick enough, but it's inconsistent. I suppose i should try a lower temp, as the thicker parts seem to represent the times when the temp was lower (I don't know why, it just lowered at seemingly random moments and then went back up).

190 is too hot, and if the temperature is swinging, you need to auto-tune the PID.

I extrude at 194 just fine.

+1 on the auto-tune of the PID

While extruding above 190 I cannot get flat surface ( surface with lots of grooves ). What is the rpm of extrusion?

elmoret wrote:
serkanc wrote:
elmoret wrote:

~4"/min.

~1.5.

At 1.2 rpm I cannot extrude more then 1 inch per minute at 180C. If i increase the temp, I couldn't get flat surface. I think I have feeding problem. My hopper length is 20mm.

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if polypropylene (PP) granules could be used. My local warehouse sells it by 0.7$/kg, and this is really interesting point.

To my knowledge, no one's tried yet.

heliorunner wrote:

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if polypropylene (PP) granules could be used. My local warehouse sells it by 0.7$/kg, and this is really interesting point.

Keep in mind the melting point of PP.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:
heliorunner wrote:

Hi guys,

Keep in mind the melting point of PP.

130-170C ?

There is a post on the RepRap blog from 2009 on PP.  It takes more care due to warping worse than ABS.  I think the conclusion was run it a bit hotter, very slow with some cooling and with an enclosure.

DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:
cmetzel wrote:

$58K???

the highest guess from a beta tester before this was from Departed - $50k. He wins the prize!

dont forget about my long term goal of 200k.

one sale away...

Filastruder

I installed the speed controller and I extruded at 1.5 rpm and 200 Celsius degrees but got pretty consistent 1.7 - 1.69 mm and not 1.75. The hole is 1.75 mm and also I changed the cap on which the die is 12 mm long. Any ideas what I should do to get 1.75 mm? Also, how do you manage the coiling? I have problems with it on the floor as sometimes is not going well and then the filament gets bend when is getting out from the die hole.

Gave it a go at extruding the Shapeways nylon today.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1786359/Photo%20Apr%2021%2C%204%2030%2053%20PM.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1786359/Photo%20Apr%2021%2C%204%2030%2059%20PM.jpg

It has black specks because I hadn't purged the extruder - that's metal from where I dremeled the nipple.

The powder is very fine, maybe finer than flour. It seems to extrude a lot like ABS.

Have to say I'm excited about it...

I wonder what the cost for material would be.  I'm sure the powder is a lot more expensive than pellets, though there is the issue of finding pellets.

Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but is there a release date for this? Also, how much will it cost? Thanks!

SD2 w/ Heated bed. Mods: E3D MK5, Lawsy MKV, Glass Bed, printed filament stand

This nylon experiment gives me hope for my pva granules that should be about the same size or maybe a bit bigger. Early bird becoming eager beaver...

IanJohnson wrote:

I wonder what the cost for material would be.  I'm sure the powder is a lot more expensive than pellets, though there is the issue of finding pellets.

I've asked Shapeways how much it is. I only got to run it for a half hour or so, but it seemed fine. Extruded at about 9"/min.

1,393 (edited by blazespinnaker 2013-04-22 08:00:48)

Nylon is super cheap according to this:   htp://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,70471,78587

How's the bubble situation?  Did you heat it up in an oven?  Did you try printing in the Solidoodle?

BTW, Do you have a USB Microscope?  (You can get one off eBay .. they're really cheap and pretty effective.)

Do you know exactly what type of Nylon it is?  eg:

their are several different types of Polyamide (PA6, PA6.6, PA11 &PA12) and they all have different melt temps from 180 to 240. also most are unplasticized.

KDI can offer a low melt temp Plasticized PA12 filament in natural or black, we would need to get a fair bit of interest before committing to a run as the raw materials are 4 times the cost of PLA plus a few other things too.

Proteus wrote:

Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but is there a release date for this? Also, how much will it cost? Thanks!

You mean post-kickstarter?

1,395 (edited by blazespinnaker 2013-04-22 16:00:54)

Gee, thx for the answers!  I'll keep that in mind next time I recommend your filastruder to someone.

blazespinnaker wrote:

Gee, thx for the answers!  I'll keep that in mind next time I recommend your filastruder to someone.

Wow. He posted before you, and I was waiting to hear back from Shapeways so I could better answer your question. Thanks for the sarcastic reply, though.

I did not predry, and I see no bubbles but since its opaque, it's possible there's microbubbles.

I don't see how a microscope would help, unless it has an x-ray feature.

I've not tried printing it yet. No time yet.

Here's the MSDS, it's all I have from Shapeways so far:

http://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/mater … ngflex.pdf

Hope that helps.

The powder seems to be about $70/kg.  It would be cool to work with pellets, but Nylon encompasses such a wide range of materials, I'm not sure what to look for.  Someone posted on Thingiverse about printing with 3mm urethane belts meant for pulleys.  That could be another option to explore for flexible materials. 

With Nylon there is the possiblilty of using dye to color it.  I wonder how well using dye on pellets before extrusion would work.

IanJohnson wrote:

The powder seems to be about $70/kg.  It would be cool to work with pellets, but Nylon encompasses such a wide range of materials, I'm not sure what to look for.  Someone posted on Thingiverse about printing with 3mm urethane belts meant for pulleys.  That could be another option to explore for flexible materials. 

With Nylon there is the possiblilty of using dye to color it.  I wonder how well using dye on pellets before extrusion would work.

$70/kg...Ill stick with Taulman for now

Filastruder

Ran more Nylon today. Seems to be +/-0.08mm, though it didn't have a clear path to the floor where I had it set up. It seems to behave a lot like ABS. Pretty neat.

I wonder how it prints compared to the Taulman 618  since you might want different properties for sintering powder vs. extruding filament.  Also $70/kg includes extra processing to make a fine powder, and probably a ridiculous markup as well.