Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

Gordym wrote:

Have you tried HDPE in this or your printer? That material is fairly common in the auto industry and I can get my hands on some pellets pretty easily.

Should work fine. Lower melting temp. Your going to want to avoid mixing HDPE and ABS though.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Tim - the hopper you sent me works great.  Thanks again.  Quality of filament looks pretty good.  Another Filastruder lives!

Recommend doing the fiberglass wrap outside wearing rubber gloves. 5mm glass shards everywhere.  This is an interesting product from the FrostKing.com/ website  pre-slit-tubular-fiberglass-pipe-cover-with-self-sealing-jackets.  My local Lowes and HD don't stock it, but is available special order online.

The thermocouple insulation is teflon which supposedly starts to pyrolize off PFOA at 200C.  Stripping back some insulation and adding some kapton tape is an option.   I routed the leads directly away from the brass plug to catch some cooler air before taping them to the glass pack.  Don't want to put the teflon under a hose clamp.  The PID auto-tune algorithm will overshoot the set point by a fair amount, so I tuned at 170C to keep from going above 200C.  Might just be paranoid here but the birds are still alive. tongue

Now for some take up reel experiments!

1,153 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-30 14:19:51)

justnick - good to hear! Especially with the recent Kickstarter success, it is comforting to know people are having good experiences. That hopper was printed on a original Solidoodle 2 with Filastruder filament - no mods to the printer or filastruder, so it is what you should expect in terms of print quality.

Most printer hotends use teflon on both the insulator and the thermocouple leads. The filastruder uses it only on the thermocouple leads. I think because the mass of the teflon insulation is so small, any resulting PFOA will also be very small.

Anyway - I knew about PFOA and teflon, but it seems like it has widespread use in industry so I assumed the amount offgassed would be very small. There are people with birds in the same room as the Solidoodle without issues. Having said that, it's best to use the filastruder in a well-ventilated area, of course.

Oh, and justnick - any pictures? Thanks!

Rob's been hard at work up in the frozen tundra of Canada, cleaning up the CAD assembly:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Filastruder%20kit%20explosion.pdf

1,156 (edited by bteeter 2013-04-01 00:11:08)

Tim - You might want to try the link for Rob's stuff again as you cannot click thru it or copy paste it.

The link is using the <span> address </span>  options on the page.

Bob Teeter

1,157 (edited by elmoret 2013-04-01 00:36:27)

bteeter wrote:

Tim - You might want to try the link for Rob's stuff again as you cannot click thru it or copy paste it.

The link is using the <span> address </span>  options on the page.

Bob Teeter

Nothing to click through, and right click/save as works fine. Not sure why anyone would want to save it anyway, it's a draft.

So I was thinking of having 1:1 scale of the screws and washers on the sides so people could compare parts. It may be a bit overkill because there are not a whole lot of hardware. I think I am done with the gen2 case (gen1 being the beta testers case). So we will be machining those out this week.

1,159 (edited by CraigRK 2013-04-01 07:32:17)

Hi all,

I've been following the Kickstarter comments and find it interesting how many of the backers seem concerned by the bits of work they have to do to a kit (drill a hole in the nozzle, find a piece of wood, etc).

I personally am glad than Tim has decided to keep the costs of the kit down by getting the buyer to source some of the bits.  This is still a lot better than me trying to source everything (and probably spending more as Tim will be getting volume discounts), so I will happily tackle a bit of sourcing/work myself to save some money and get the Filastruder in on lower budget.

The rest of this post is no reflection on the Filastruder, as I think all bases are covered, however:

It kind of blows my mind how little people read before putting down their cash on things.  There are a number of comments along the lines of "Do I need to drill a hole, how am I going to do that?" and "What else isn't included?", and in each case the response is: "Read the home page, it says it all!!".

This probably explains why there are so many people out there complaining about 3D Printer kits and parts, etc, when they simply didn't do their research and make sure they got something that was properly researched and that met their needs.

I have been following this Filastruder topic for a few months now and have read every single post and probably every article/page that anyone has linked to.  This means I know how much good research has gone into the Filastruder, and I also know that it isn't (and never intended to be) a fully industrial level piece of kit.

Thanks again for the hard work to Tim, Allan, OSPrinting & let's not forget, the Beta Testers!!!.

Craig

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

CraigRK wrote:

Hi all,

It kind of blows my mind how little people read before putting down their cash on things.  There are a number of comments along the lines of "Do I need to drill a hole, how am I going to do that?" and "What else isn't included?", and in each case the response is: "Read the home page, it says it all!!".

This probably explains why there are so many people out there complaining about 3D Printer kits and parts, etc, when they simply didn't do their research and make sure they got something that was properly researched and that met their needs.

I have been following this Filastruder topic for a few months now and have read every single post and probably every article/page that anyone has linked to.  This means I know how much good research has gone into the Filastruder, and I also know that it isn't (and never intended to be) a fully industrial level piece of kit.

Thanks again for the hard work to Tim, Allan, OSPrinting & let's not forget, the Beta Testers!!!.

Craig

Craig +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I go over to defcad all the time people will come in and ask what would be the best printer for them. Then when you ask what do you intend to do with it they don't know or are embarased lol

for anyone wondering the sd3 is the perfect size to print an ar lower or a 30rd magazne. i won't guarantee how well it prints but you can do it

The person who thought cutting a 1x6 board in half might be too complicated will probably have trouble even with the assembled version.  Hopefully support won't be too bad.  I don't see why anyone would want one who doesn't already have a printer.  Owning and caring for a printer forces you to gain the level of experience needed to put together and run a Filastruder, which isn't really that much.

IanJohnson wrote:

The person who thought cutting a 1x6 board in half might be too complicated will probably have trouble even with the assembled version.

Maybe include a pre cut board for an extra $50

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Here's a design mod to try that elimates having to cut the slot in the steel pipe:

Use a 6" pipe nipple for the barrel.  Tweak the hopper design to have beefy standoff pass throughs for the 1/4" all thread.

Assemble pipe:flange:hopper:standoffs:flange.  Action area/ pellet chop zone is where auger enters pipe at flange, so open up hopper in this area to reduce stresses as needed.  Could make hopper a tight fit around auger, or to reduce stress, make it 1/4" away from auger flutes.

I'll post some pics of my beta along with tweaks,  issues and tips when I get some cycles.

1,165 (edited by elmoret 2013-04-01 19:09:55)

justnick wrote:

Here's a design mod to try that elimates having to cut the slot in the steel pipe:

Use a 6" pipe nipple for the barrel.  Tweak the hopper design to have beefy standoff pass throughs for the 1/4" all thread.

Assemble pipe:flange:hopper:standoffs:flange.  Action area/ pellet chop zone is where auger enters pipe at flange, so open up hopper in this area to reduce stresses as needed.  Could make hopper a tight fit around auger, or to reduce stress, make it 1/4" away from auger flutes.

I'll post some pics of my beta along with tweaks,  issues and tips when I get some cycles.

Tried it, hopper splits open, among other issues. I printed with 10mm thick, 100% infill walls.

Maybe you'll have better luck!

Any pictures?

Really?  Splits even if there was something silly like a 1" gap between the auger and hopper walls?

Some pics tonight.

elmoret wrote:
justnick wrote:

Tried it, hopper splits open, among other issues. I printed with 10mm thick, 100% infill walls.

Maybe you'll have better luck!

Any pictures?

I thought Bob's plastic soda bottle hopper was worth a look.  My concern with Bob's method is if the opening for the pellets to fall through is too small and would jam.  I think the slotted pipe in the Filastruder currently gives a larger opening for the pellets.  I have no experience though, so I don't know if the soda bottle trick would work for the Filastruder setup.  It would still need a way to adapt it to the top of the pipe.  Perhaps a small printed adapter, or...

justnick wrote:

Really?  Splits even if there was something silly like a 1" gap between the auger and hopper walls?

Some pics tonight.

Never tried anything that large. Seemed silly to make a printed part that big when 5 minutes with a dremel notches the pipe.

It looks like we might be able to machine the pipes in bulk for the KS kits. No promises yet.

It would be a big part, but I am thinking the walls could be pretty thin and they'd pick up some support from the all thread/standoffs.  Just have to give the pellets enough room to dance. Probably don't need 1.5" of exposed auger pick up surface like in the beta. since pellets would be feeding from all sides.

My concern would be that the pellets would not be as organized going into the end of the pipe compared to how well they get lined up with the slot.    Might have to try it this weekend.

Bulk machined pipes would be a plus for KS.  Good to hear people's feedback.

Tim,

This comment might be more relevant on the KS page, but I thought I would ask here first.

When will you be providing the STL's for the following:
• Hopper    (STL    provided    by    us)
• Hopper    extender    (optional,    STL/CAD provided    by    us)
• Electronics    enclosure    (optional,    STL/CAD provided    by    us)

Or might they also change, like the enclosure?

Craig

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

CraigRK wrote:

Tim,

This comment might be more relevant on the KS page, but I thought I would ask here first.

When will you be providing the STL's for the following:
• Hopper    (STL    provided    by    us)
• Hopper    extender    (optional,    STL/CAD provided    by    us)
• Electronics    enclosure    (optional,    STL/CAD provided    by    us)

Or might they also change, like the enclosure?

Craig

Plan to provide at end of campaign. It's possible they might change, there's no point in someone printing them 2 months before they could possibly have a kit in their hands.

*Request for Google-Fu Skills!*

As most people here know, I've switched the design over to run on 12v. That's made a bit of an issue - the controller I used to use ran on 120v, and only cost $20 - a great fit for the project. Even though that controller internally steps down and rectifies the voltage to 12v, a controller that runs just on 12v is proving to be difficult to source at competitive prices. Here's what I've found so far:

Sestos D1S-2R-24
Mypin TA4E-RNR
Omega CN4000
Auber SYL-2362B
HBS tm7100r12v

Can anyone else dig up other options?

Requirements:
K-Type thermocouple
3A relay rating or better
12v supply voltage

Thanks for the help!

You know the people on the board, Tim, first-rate headstarters!  If I hadn't ordered the full build I'd be clamoring for the STLs too.  As it is, I'm glad I ordered what I did.

On a second note:  2 nozzles included for the Full build is an excellent thought as I'm going to be switching between 1.75 and 3 for the 3doodler.  Will a guide be available for build your own nozzles so that I can create backups?

1,174 (edited by elmoret 2013-04-01 21:05:50)

cckens wrote:

On a second note:  2 nozzles included for the Full build is an excellent thought as I'm going to be switching between 1.75 and 3 for the 3doodler.  Will a guide be available for build your own nozzles so that I can create backups?

Yeah, there's really not much to it. Drill a hole partway through. Drill a smaller hole all the way through. Drill a small hole partway through in one of the hex flats for the thermocouple.

I'm being cheeky, but yes, there will be a "guide". There's already a CAD file in the beta instructions - those guys all managed to drill it themselves.

1,175 (edited by cckens 2013-04-01 21:24:56)

Cheeky is OK, you're not being obnoxiously callous.

The demands on your time right now gives you the right.  Last I checked you were over 100k.  That's going to be one heck of a roll out when it's over!

Edit:  I remember some of the stuff that Brook had to go through with the Printrbot.  I hope it's not quite as bad for you.