Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

aFoote wrote:

I want to back so bad, but have a quick question.  Where in the world is everyone getting their ABS pellets?  I couldn't find a consistent price, it seemed like it varried between websites. 

Pretty much my question being, what's a good website to buy pellets from?  I wanna do a cost analysis and see how many KGs of filament I would need to extrude in order to recoup the cost of the machine.

Come on down and check out our store. We sell ABS, PLA, and HDPE. Plus a variety of colorants. We are always looking to expand our colorants and plastics. I am exited to grow with this new market.

Sorry for the sales pitch guys. I was up to 5am too watching the kickstarter

No problem thanks for partnering with our very own Tim to make this happen.  Wish the whole team great success.  I have to stop looking at the KS page or I'm going to accidentally order one in a moment of weakness.  I really don't need it but it's hard not to jump into the water.

1,128 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-03-26 21:47:15)

OSPrinting wrote:

Come on down and check out our store. We sell ABS, PLA, and HDPE. Plus a variety of colorants. We are always looking to expand our colorants and plastics. I am exited to grow with this new market.

You better be on top of those new colorants!!

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Send me a PM of the store website.  What kind of price should I expect for a KG of pellets?

DePartedPrinter wrote:

staff pick for technology on KS

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/cat … ef=sidebar

Yeah, we saw this. Asked about it on a skype call today with John Dimatos, a rep from Kickstarter - he asked to call us and check up on things. John used to be the head of applications with MakerBot, and was very knowledgable about shipping kits, QC/QA, and startups in general.

John said the staff picks are done by the editorial department - not an algorithm or anything like that. Means a human on staff at Kickstarter came across our project and thought it worthy. Pretty cool.

aFoote wrote:

Send me a PM of the store website.  What kind of price should I expect for a KG of pellets?

for the lazy man
http://store.osprintingllc.com/

Filastruder

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

staff pick for technology on KS

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/cat … ef=sidebar

Yeah, we saw this. Asked about it on a skype call today with John Dimatos, a rep from Kickstarter - he asked to call us and check up on things. John used to be the head of applications with MakerBot, and was very knowledgable about shipping kits, QC/QA, and startups in general.

John said the staff picks are done by the editorial department - not an algorithm or anything like that. Means a human on staff at Kickstarter came across our project and thought it worthy. Pretty cool.

Apparently everyone starts at MakerBot.  I have two friends who previously worked for them as well.

Filastruder

DePartedPrinter wrote:
OSPrinting wrote:

You better be on top of those new colorants!!

I am I am!!

$58K???

cmetzel wrote:

$58K???

the highest guess from a beta tester before this was from Departed - $50k. He wins the prize!

It's got 28 days left, he could be off by a million by then!!  haha

Have you seen this page?  I stumbled across it looking for media mentions on you guys.

cmetzel wrote:

Have you seen this page?  I stumbled across it looking for media mentions on you guys.

I have. Big number on there!

elmoret wrote:
cmetzel wrote:

$58K???

the highest guess from a beta tester before this was from Departed - $50k. He wins the prize!

dont forget about my long term goal of 200k.

Filastruder

I think the total can end up just about wherever Tim wants it.  The trend will depend on how he manages the supply of kits.  $600k equals many hours of work.  Kickstarter is for getting started and feeling out demand, at some point it would make sense to cut off the campaign and switch to a regular web store.  Then you can manage availability rather than taking 6 months worth of preorders up front and making everyone else wait a year until you have shipped a huge volume of rewards.  If it is possible to ship quicker than the estimates for each reward level, it might make sense to ship when you said you would, while putting together additional kits to have in stock with the opening of a web store.

IanJohnson wrote:

If it is possible to ship quicker than the estimates for each reward level, it might make sense to ship when you said you would, while putting together additional kits to have in stock with the opening of a web store.

While I understand some of your logic, surely this would penalise the early supporters (i.e. Kickstarter Backers like me) who have been prepared to place a pre-order.

If the Kickstarter demand proves that a different business model (e.g. with sub-contracting) makes sense due to the bulk buying resulting in significant savings in cost and time, then I would have thought you would ship early to the early supporters (in order of order of course) and then you are able to roll out to the rest of the world in a webstore (which, with the partnership with OSPrinting appears to already be the case).

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

Just puts the filabot to shame... but I guess that you have to get your fix somewhere and if they drop the ball, then Tim just picks it up and runs with it.

Dang, Tim, what have you done!?! smile

cckens wrote:

Dang, Tim, what have you done!?! smile

A question I ask myself frequently as of late!

it's a full time job now... 88000$..

I was told the other day that styrene master patch can work with ABS. This makes sense to me because ABS is mostly styrene. Now I have Red, Blue, Black, White Styrene masterbatch. Would any of the beta testers be willing to test this theory? Shoot me an email [email protected].

OSPrinting wrote:

I was told the other day that styrene master patch can work with ABS. This makes sense to me because ABS is mostly styrene. Now I have Red, Blue, Black, White Styrene masterbatch. Would any of the beta testers be willing to test this theory? Shoot me an email [email protected].

I emailed you. I have had some practice before with this...

Filastruder

1,147 (edited by OSPrinting 2013-03-29 14:32:38)

I got it. Thank you!!! Keep me posted on how this goes and what you have to do to make it work.

1,148 (edited by 5par7icus 2013-03-29 15:02:07)

sorry if this has been asked before but have you thought about putting a grinder above the hopper so that you can add bits of failed models or plastic from other sources

5par7icus wrote:

sorry if this has been asked before but have you thought about putting a grinder above the hopper so that you can add say bits of failed models or plastic from other sources

4 problems:
1.) a grinder of that size is not really an off the shelf, obtainable part.
2.) contamination. any dirt or other foreign objects could end up in the plastic, and then your filament, plugging your printer.
3.) Heat histories. Every time you extrude plastic, it gets weaker.
4.) Pellet size. You need pretty uniform 3mm x 3mm x 3mm pellets for the filastruder, and really any extruder this size, to feed well.

Hope that helps!

Have you tried HDPE in this or your printer? That material is fairly common in the auto industry and I can get my hands on some pellets pretty easily.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6