Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

minescumarius wrote:
Dennis wrote:
minescumarius wrote:

My 100$ extruder... 12V safe power supply, adjustable temperature, adjustable motor speed, adjustable fan speed...

Parts are from local shop and are new. Only the electric motor is old. To build this filament extruder, in this version, you need a lathe, a drill and a welding machine. Labor time was not calculated (6 hours). Electronics and heating element are homemade (1 day of work).

Thanks.
Which parts were welded?
Which operations required a Lathe?

Welded parts are circled in the picture. You can weld just the last flange. I opted for thermal insulation in the front. This improves heat ratio, and reduces starting time to 15 minutes.
On the lathe, I make adjustments to the flange on the pipe. flanges are actually washers. washers are welded on the pipe.

Thanks. 
I believe that most people would not have welders.  Some would have lathes.  Most would have a drill press.
Did you give any thought for how you could make it without welding?  Without a lathe?

I have not found in stores threaded flanges. So I opted for this version. I have several projects to be executed and bought these tools. Approximately $ 1,000. so ... It depends on what you find in shops.

Dennis wrote:
minescumarius wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Thanks.
Which parts were welded?
Which operations required a Lathe?

Welded parts are circled in the picture. You can weld just the last flange. I opted for thermal insulation in the front. This improves heat ratio, and reduces starting time to 15 minutes.
On the lathe, I make adjustments to the flange on the pipe. flanges are actually washers. washers are welded on the pipe.

Thanks. 
I believe that most people would not have welders.  Some would have lathes.  Most would have a drill press.
Did you give any thought for how you could make it without welding?  Without a lathe?

^ um wow. I was just sharing my extruder design, not stepping on Tim's post to sell it.......

create another thread to speak about your design... simple

Yeah that's bad form IMO, start your own thread if you're trying to sell an extruder, don't jump into someone else's hard work a couple days before a kickstarter is launched.

1,056 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-03-20 20:04:29)

minescumarius wrote:

WOW...thread hijacking...and a newbie...this guys got some cojones...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

I'm sorry. I did not mean to ruin anyone's business. I deleted that post. I ask those who responded to that post to delete it. I intend to help those who can not find the parts needed.
Thanks!

To be fair, some of the Filastruder parts can be difficult to source in Europe due to imperial sizes and shipping across the Atlantic can be tougher with higher rates and customs.  At $150 I'm wondering if you would be giving yourself enough credit for the amount of work it takes above just the cost of parts.

I have started a blog on building my version of a filament extruder.  It is based upon the work of Filabot, Lyman and Tim's work.  The same type of machine.  I have a compete woodworking and metal working shop but what I wanted to do is create one that can be completed in most peoples garage.  So no slicing of pipes or custom plastic parts to make.  Oh there is one plastic part - a 2 liter bottle and you will have to empty it yourself. The bottle will hold 1320 grams of pellets and so should work fine for holding 1Kg of pellets for conversion.  I will also be putting up a BOM once I have it working but it makes no sense to post something that would be changing until it is done.  I also want to build the Lyman Filament winder and have some ideas as to how to link the two units so that it would take care of its self.  I also want to setup a camera to watch it work so that I can see what the mice in the shop are doing.

http://www.teeterconsulting.com/

I also do not want to detract from the work that Tim is doing and I completely support the work that he has done and thank him for that effort.

Bob Teeter

bteeter wrote:

I have started a blog on building my version of a filament extruder.  It is based upon the work of Filabot, Lyman and Tim's work.  The same type of machine.  I have a compete woodworking and metal working shop but what I wanted to do is create one that can be completed in most peoples garage.  So no slicing of pipes or custom plastic parts to make.  Oh there is one plastic part - a 2 liter bottle and you will have to empty it yourself. The bottle will hold 1320 grams of pellets and so should work fine for holding 1Kg of pellets for conversion.  I will also be putting up a BOM once I have it working but it makes no sense to post something that would be changing until it is done.  I also want to build the Lyman Filament winder and have some ideas as to how to link the two units so that it would take care of its self.  I also want to setup a camera to watch it work so that I can see what the mice in the shop are doing.

http://www.teeterconsulting.com/

I also do not want to detract from the work that Tim is doing and I completely support the work that he has done and thank him for that effort.

Bob Teeter

Thanks for showing that Bob.  Nice use of mostly off the shelf parts.

1,061 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-22 01:40:30)

I'm open to feedback, but I think it would be best if we kept discussion here limited to the Filastruder, to keep things a bit more organized and manageable.... kinda like how the smoothing stations have had their own threads int he projects sub-forum.

I recently finished fixing it electronically. Both the motor and the PID work, but the temperature will only rise a few degrees, and then start falling, every time the PID is turned on. Does anyone know what might be wrong with the machine and how I can fix this issue?

1,063 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-22 01:50:22)

knarf2011 wrote:

I recently finished fixing it electronically. Both the motor and the PID work, but the temperature will only rise a few degrees, and then start falling, every time the PID is turned on. Does anyone know what might be wrong with the machine and how I can fix this issue?

Is the heater wire connected to PID terminal 4 or 5? It should be terminal 4, being connected to terminal 5 would cause this behavior and was a mistake in an earlier revision of the instructions.

We also found out that sometimes the wire colors are incorrect in the wall voltage wiring - this is a mistake by the power brick's manufacturer. Release versions run completely on low voltage, so the wall voltage side will not be touched.

elmoret wrote:
knarf2011 wrote:

Is the heater wire connected to PID terminal 4 or 5? It should be terminal 4, being connected to terminal 5 would cause this behavior and was a mistake in an earlier revision of the instructions.

Terminal 5.

knarf2011 wrote:
elmoret wrote:
knarf2011 wrote:

Terminal 5.

We will now try Terminal 4! Thanks for replying so quickly!

elmoret wrote:

I'm open to feedback, but I think it would be best if we kept discussion here limited to the Filastruder, to keep things a bit more organized and manageable.... kinda like how the smoothing stations have had their own threads int he projects sub-forum.

I completely agree.  I only wished to let others know that Tim has inspired many of us to work as hard as he has.  I do not wish to interfere with the work that happens here.  I just want others to know that Tim is an inspiration to us all. 

Bob Teeter

Go ahead and start another thread.  I still want to see it.

1,068 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-03-22 19:57:11)

Just saw this on thingiverse.  I wonder if this could be adapted for use during manual winding to help get rid of light bends.

Filament straightener: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30733

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/e0/71/ff/3d/f4/8001953493_e87dd78bcd_b_preview_featured.jpg

nickythegreek wrote:

Just saw this on thingiverse.  I wonder if this could be adapted for use during manual winding to help get rid of light bends.

Filament straightener: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30733

It's so funny to me to see people "invent" things that are used in industry every day.  When I started designing I would often "invent" solutions to a problem we were having and present them to the senior designers only to have them laugh at me and say "Hey look Metzel invented a such and such" which was already readily available but I was blissfully unaware.  Instead of discouraging me it always gave me confidence that I could reinvent something that was nearly identical to the working accepted solution without seeing it first. 

This is called a straightener and is place in line at the beginning of each punch press to remove the curvature from a coil of steel as it's being fed into a press.

elmoret wrote:
Manx wrote:

anynews when the kickstarter is gonna happen?

I've submitted it to Kickstarter for approval. Most stuff I've read says it takes them 2-3 days.

Any more news?

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

CraigRK wrote:
elmoret wrote:
Manx wrote:

anynews when the kickstarter is gonna happen?

I've submitted it to Kickstarter for approval. Most stuff I've read says it takes them 2-3 days.

Any more news?

They asked for some tweaks - more info in the biography, details on what comes in the kit, that sort of thing. I've resubmitted for final approval. They took about 48 hours to get back to me last time, so it should be soon!

elmoret wrote:

I've resubmitted for final approval. They took about 48 hours to get back to me last time, so it should be soon!

Nice one, thanks for the update.  Good luck!!!

C

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

Just got my beta kit.  Thanks Tim!  Errr... ummm.  My Robo 3D is not here yet, so I am going to CNC a hopper out of aluminum and maybe plastic.  Can someone check the temp of the iron pipe near the hopper.  If you put  drop of water on it, does it boil off (100C).  The business end of the hopper around the auger will be aluminum to deal with the stresses of pushing pellets out of the way. Wondering if I an get away with an HDPE spacer just above the iron pipe, connecting to the funnel.  BTW, an ABS/Styrene 3" Drain End Cap is a shoe in for the funnel.  Just needs a hole.

On the V2 hopper, there is a lip circled in yellow (insert tt) h__p://s22.postimg.org/z9r1p9hmp/hopper1.jpg  What is the purpose?  If I cut the 1.5" slot in the pipe at the centerline, that lip won't be contacting the iron pipe.  Should I make the slot in the iron pipe match the cross section of the hopper (make the slot more shallow)?

Thanks in advance.

The temperature near the hopper is around 50C, depending on ambient temps. The ABS hopper never even softens. I can print you one and mail it to you if you like! Plastic at 100% infill is plenty strong, ive run over 250 hours on it.

That lip is just a function of how I (quickly) designed the part. It serves no real purpose, though I suppose it makes the hopper slightly stronger. No reason for/against it, really.

elmoret wrote:

The temperature near the hopper is around 50C, depending on ambient temps. The ABS hopper never even softens. I can print you one and mail it to you if you like! Plastic at 100% infill is plenty strong, ive run over 250 hours on it.

That lip is just a function of how I (quickly) designed the part. It serves no real purpose, though I suppose it makes the hopper slightly stronger. No reason for/against it, really.

Tim - Sure!  I'd take a printed hopper.   Stay 100% compatible.  PM me what I owe you.  Time to cut some iron pipe and drill some brass!