Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

That's great!!!!   LOL

Most Excellent Puller Experiment!  What issues pop up as the amount of drop and span is decreased? Once you have a capstan, you almost want a constant tension take up reel like on the old tape recorders.  Could run the reel with a brushed DC motor and constant current supply.

Ian - agree with your statement about stiffness of the material being a factor on the scale we are operating on.  On the flip side, full size bridges use 1m diameter steel cables smile  Maybe we just need a 30m filament span, but then we'd have to name each machine.

Considering this more, maybe it is best to decouple the tasks of spooling and filament thickness control for the time being. Let's try to figure out how to do each one well, and then combine them if the opportunity presents itself. 

I don't have a Beta machine, so help me understand what might be the best "knobs" to turn to vary thickness.  Things like:
-Auger speed
-Auger torque
-Extruder temp
-Filament pull

How badly tuned must the Extruder Temp PID be to start messing up thickness?
What other things affect filament thickness during a run? (cat toy or bad hair day don't count)
What are the factors limiting increased feed rates? 

Wish I had a Beta to experiment on.  Wish I had more time!  This is cool stuff.

cmetzel wrote:

Brad, look away!  I call it the ponystruder.  Kickstarter to follow.

http://s9.postimage.org/l1iupabof/Ponystruder.jpg

Have you been snooping around my garage again?

Considering this more, maybe it is best to decouple the tasks of spooling and filament thickness control for the time being. Let's try to figure out how to do each one well, and then combine them if the opportunity presents itself.

Dropping the filament into a loop on the way to the puller does decouple those tasks.  Variations in pulling or extrusion speed act on the loop rather than the diameter.  Changes in weight from the length of the loop are slight enough to not really effect diameter.  Pulling in a straight line from the extruder will directly affect diameter, but both the pull and the extrusion speed have to be constant, or at least in sync.

The loop doesn't have to be very long.  I've been experimenting with keeping everything on the table top by putting the winder on top of the extruder, setting the extruder on a shelf above the winder, and setting them both up on boxes.  I'm starting to think that mounting them both vertically is the simplest solution.   The filament will only go down, around, then up.  It doesn't have to go out, down, over, up and in.  More direction changes mean more opportunities for the filament to do odd things. 

I had it coming out of the extruder set up high, then curving down and back into the spooler which was lower than the extruder facing the same direction.  When the filament was anchored in the winder with the winder motor stopped, the stiff filament leading into the winder supported the filament coming out of the extuder above.  With the winder stopped, the sideways loop didn't drop toward the table, it kept going further and further to the side.  When I started the motor it again it jerked the filament a little and caused that mid-air loop to fall over sideways and cross itself.

II'm going to try some guide rollers and see if I can control the filament a little better to put the loop where I want it.

I was talking to a plastics guy at where I work. He said that the proper way to pull filament would be to use 2 idlers and a puller. They should be lines up idler-puller-idler. The idlers are a polished metal, that way the filament just slides over it. The puller should be rubber coated and able to adjust up and down.  That way it can adjust the tension being applied to the filament.  The filament would also wrap around the puller a few times to get the grip needed.  Then you can adjust your speed to change the DIA of your filament. This would require some kind of feed back loop though.

Peformed a overheat test today. Results as expected. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjMvEEtob64
It might be a good idea to make certain your thermocouple is engaged with the nozzle.
Filled house with smoke very quickly, no flames. The kapton tape did not even melt.

1,032 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-17 20:27:36)

supraflyer wrote:

Peformed a overheat test today. Results as expected. Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjMvEEtob64
It might be a good idea to make certain your thermocouple is engaged with the nozzle.
Filled house with smoke very quickly, no flames. The kapton tape did not even melt.

Sounds about right! That's why it's important to not operate it completely unattended, the same way you wouldn't leave your house empty with a oven or toaster on. I run it in the garage, but only when I'm home to check on it periodically.

Here is my photo switch for the spooler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7CcildG5o

I haven't been able to get the filament to loop through it.  It's been hard to get it into just the right position without getting a kink along the way that won't run through the clip.  I need to try extruding pointed down, or work out a PEEK nozzle to get the filament more stable coming out.

Hi Guys,

Been printing with filastruder filament yesterday and today,

I'm running an Ultimaker, that uses 3 mm filament (although UM supply 2.85 mm).

I'm finding that I'm struggling to keep consistent diameter at the moment, anyone else seeing this?

I'm printing big things around 15 cm tall in z axis and it is pretty obvious when the filament diameter drops slightly,

I'm trying to extrude more consistently now but I find the filament does not coil up particularly nicely when coming out of the filastruder.

Anyone got some pics of thier setups that are known to work well?

Here's mine atm (attached) , this is a modified setup to what I had previously, I haven't tried this filament yet... (fingers crossed)

Cheers,

Rob

Post's attachments

IMAG0119_BURST001.jpg
IMAG0119_BURST001.jpg 1.35 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-03-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

1,035 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-18 16:14:12)

Cool setup!

3mm doesn't coil particularly well, unfortunately. Most of us here use 1.75mm.  You could try redrilling with a smaller bit, to try to end up nearer to the 2.85mm. The smaller the die, the more back pressure that can be built up, which it seems helps consistency. Other things that may help:

Increased airflow right at the die face (though this will increase diameter)
Overvolting motor. 15v is probably ok as long as the motor stays cool.

No worries, I'm getting much better results now, I'm not to fussed about the specific diameter, anywhere between 2.5-3.0 mm is probably OK, it's more consistency as the UM is fine tuned to the filament diameter.

I seem to have some that is around 2.75mm +/- 0.05mm and around 30m length

I'll run this through the printer next and hopefully I'll be able to get a nice print to compare with the ABS i got from ebay!

anynews when the kickstarter is gonna happen?

Manx wrote:

I've submitted it to Kickstarter for approval. Most stuff I've read says it takes them 2-3 days.

elmoret wrote:
Manx wrote:

I've submitted it to Kickstarter for approval. Most stuff I've read says it takes them 2-3 days.

Congrats!

My 100$ extruder... 12V safe power supply, adjustable temperature, adjustable motor speed, adjustable fan speed...

Post's attachments

Extruder.jpg
Extruder.jpg 521.27 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-03-19 

minescumarius wrote:

My 100$ extruder... 12V safe power supply, adjustable temperature, adjustable motor speed, adjustable fan speed...

Nice project.  How are you determining the cost?  Is it with new parts + shipping, or with salvaged parts?

Dennis wrote:
minescumarius wrote:

Nice project.  How are you determining the cost?  Is it with new parts + shipping, or with salvaged parts?

Good question, I'd like to know as well.  I often try to use salvaged parts in my projects where it makes sense, so it will be good to understand the break down of this, and it will make it comparable to other projects.  (i.e. people shouldn't quote a cost without explaining it).

From the little bit of research that I have done, I think it will be difficult to get the costs much below the costs I have seen elmoret & Lyman quote (unless there is significant bulk purchasing to drive the costs down).

Masterbatch, ABS and PLA Pellets available for UK and Europe.
http://www.emakershop.com/Seller=1324

1,043 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-19 16:09:17)

CraigRK wrote:

From the little bit of research that I have done, I think it will be difficult to get the costs much below the costs I have seen elmoret & Lyman quote (unless there is significant bulk purchasing to drive the costs down).

Even if that does include the cost of every single part, which I don't think it does, hand assembling those electronics will take a quite a while, welding/machining, as well as hand winding that heater. I'm also quite sure he's not including shipping from all the different vendors in that that price quote, either.

1,044 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-19 16:09:08)

whoops, double post

elmoret wrote:
CraigRK wrote:

Even if that does include the cost of every single part, which I don't think it does, hand assembling those electronics will take a quite a while, welding/machining, as well as hand winding that heater. I'm also quite sure he's not including shipping from all the different vendors in that that price quote, either.

I don't think there was any welding in there that I could see.  It looked like it was mostly made out of Aluminum extrusions from the hardware store that were screwed or bolted together.  It looks like they were just cut to length and holes drilled.  The worm gear motor looks rugged.

cmetzel wrote:

Brad, look away!  I call it the ponystruder.  Kickstarter to follow.

http://s9.postimage.org/l1iupabof/Ponystruder.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WO1Qaci.gif

CraigRK wrote:
Dennis wrote:
minescumarius wrote:

Good question, I'd like to know as well.  I often try to use salvaged parts in my projects where it makes sense, so it will be good to understand the break down of this, and it will make it comparable to other projects.  (i.e. people shouldn't quote a cost without explaining it).

Parts are from local shop and are new. Only the electric motor is old. To build this filament extruder, in this version, you need a lathe, a drill and a welding machine. Labor time was not calculated (6 hours). Electronics and heating element are homemade (1 day of work).

Some components... Work in progress...

Post's attachments

Ansamblate.jpg
Ansamblate.jpg 1.34 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Parts.jpg
Parts.jpg 1.21 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

minescumarius wrote:

Parts are from local shop and are new. Only the electric motor is old. To build this filament extruder, in this version, you need a lathe, a drill and a welding machine. Labor time was not calculated (6 hours). Electronics and heating element are homemade (1 day of work).

Thanks.
Which parts were welded?
Which operations required a Lathe?

1,050 (edited by minescumarius 2013-03-20 14:19:24)

Dennis wrote:
minescumarius wrote:

Thanks.
Which parts were welded?
Which operations required a Lathe?

Welded parts are circled in the picture. You can weld just the last flange. I opted for thermal insulation in the front. This improves heat ratio, and reduces starting time to 15 minutes.
On the lathe, I make adjustments to the flange on the pipe. flanges are actually washers. washers are welded on the pipe.

Post's attachments

Parts.jpg 652.82 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Puncte sudura.jpg
Puncte sudura.jpg 72.07 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Sudura.jpg
Sudura.jpg 241.46 kb, file has never been downloaded.