Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

jon_bondy wrote:

Aluminatus

What made you go that route over the SD?

i found a 20mm 3/4" stainless barrel nipple for 2.75gbp so about $3.50 ?? just not sure how long they are..goto give them a ring and find out

IanJohnson wrote:

The tricky thing about sourcing the parts is the pipe.  Most are made by rolling the steel and welding it, which often leaves a seam on the inside.  Depending on the clearance between  the pipe and the auger, this might make it impossible for the auger to fit.  Even it the auger does fit, it's best to have a smooth surface inside.

I don't know how it would be in Europe, but in my city at least all pipe from the hardware stores have the seam, except for brass pipe.  The company Tim orders the pipe from has several warehouses around the country.   When I order the same part number he does, I get a pipe with a seam, while the pipe he gets is smooth inside.

voltesep wrote:

i found a 20mm 3/4" stainless barrel nipple for 2.75gbp so about $3.50 ?? just not sure how long they are..goto give them a ring and find out

What size auger do you plan to use with this pipe?
Is the pipe Schedule 40, 80, or 160?

679 (edited by voltesep 2013-02-12 21:23:35)

to be honest there isnt alot of detail on the web site?...its made of 316 grade stainless

they do 3/8" 10mm...1/2" 15mm and 3/4" 20mm but no info on length, wall thickness/shedule type
i`ll send them an email now and see how quick i get a reply

until i know what the i/d is i wont know what auger to use?

will post answers on here when i get a reply

what dia pipe do you use on beta 2?

listed as 150lb pipe fittings if it helps at all??

voltesep wrote:

to be honest there isnt alot of detail on the web site?...its made of 316 grade stainless

they do 3/8" 10mm...1/2" 15mm and 3/4" 20mm but no info on length, wall thickness/shedule type
i`ll send them an email now and see how quick i get a reply

until i know what the i/d is i wont know what auger to use?

will post answers on here when i get a reply

what dia pipe do you use on beta 2?

listed as 150lb pipe fittings if it helps at all??

I use 1/2" NPT Schedule 40 pipe, which has a ID of 0.62". That works quite well with a 5/8" auger.

well the reply was.....

" The barrel nipples,we stock are sch40s 316 stainless steel.

We do make them to any lenght you require, in sch80s, sch160 or xxs.

Please can you advise what sizes you are interested in and we shall give you uor stock lenghts. "

sounds promising

682 (edited by elmoret 2013-02-13 20:09:48)

A bit more on the thrust load:

The ASTM/ISO tests for MFR are helpful. From what I gather, for the white pellets I use, MG94 resin, 13g is extruded in 10 minutes, given a force of 50N and a die measuring 2mm in diameter. That's 540mm of 1.75mm filament (in 10min)

We extrude at roughly 12"/min, which means 3048mm/10min.

Now the question is - is extrusion rate linearly or quadratically proportional to force/pressure? If it's linear, then we have thrust force of roughly 300N, or 66 lbs. If it's quadratic, then we have a thrust load of 396lbs.

I've bottomed out a 160lb spring, so all I know is the total thrust load is >160 lbs.

EDIT: I've ordered this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Tl99C7 … mp;f=false

I've been reading through that book for awhile, and Google books hasn't stopped me yet which is good.

Something it said about cooling gave me a thought-  the coiling that the filament always does coming out of the extruder may be caused by the fan.  The fan is quickly cooling the underside of the filament, causing the bottom to shrink more quickly than the top, bending it downward.  If there were two fans blowing toward each other, I wonder if it would extrude straighter and be easier to manage.

On the fan note, you could make a duct for the fan. The duct will be a ring which the filament goes through and the air can blast the filament from all sides.

OSPrinting wrote:

On the fan note, you could make a duct for the fan. The duct will be a ring which the filament goes through and the air can blast the filament from all sides.

Yeah, I just read this in another book I skimmed through today. The pros use a fan duct that goes all the way around the filament and blows a ring. I'm not sure standard axial fans build enough static pressure to blow much through one of those. I'm willing to try!

I think the filament curves more because it comes out of the die at an curve, so as its cooling, it's setting in the form of a curve. I say this because the coils on the ground have about the same radius as that 90 degree curve coming out of the filastruder.

This has been helpful to read, too:

http://www.feedscrewdesigns.com/cgi-bin … ookie=true

You guys are doing great work on here! Read the whole thing. Going to invest in one of these! Thanks for adding me to the list Tim. One question for you all. I am looking to extrude at 3 mm and was wondering how you all knew that a #52 bit would extrude at 1.75 mm. That is all I can find across the internet. I have no problems starting small and working up.... but that would be incredibly time consuming. Any help is appreciated!

d.mositner1 wrote:

You guys are doing great work on here! Read the whole thing. Going to invest in one of these! Thanks for adding me to the list Tim. One question for you all. I am looking to extrude at 3 mm and was wondering how you all knew that a #52 bit would extrude at 1.75 mm. That is all I can find across the internet. I have no problems starting small and working up.... but that would be incredibly time consuming. Any help is appreciated!

Trial and error. I don't think it'd be terribly time consuming. Assume that since a 1.6mm bit yields filament ranging from 1.73-1.82mm, then die swell is about 12%. That means with a 2.7mm bit, you'd be pretty close to 3mm filament.

elmoret wrote:
d.mositner1 wrote:

Trial and error. I don't think it'd be terribly time consuming. Assume that since a 1.6mm bit yields filament ranging from 1.73-1.82mm, then die swell is about 12%. That means with a 2.7mm bit, you'd be pretty close to 3mm filament.

Thanks for the info

Thingiverse has a circular fan duct design that may work. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17513

elmoret wrote:
OSPrinting wrote:

Yeah, I just read this in another book I skimmed through today. The pros use a fan duct that goes all the way around the filament and blows a ring. I'm not sure standard axial fans build enough static pressure to blow much through one of those. I'm willing to try!

I think the filament curves more because it comes out of the die at an curve, so as its cooling, it's setting in the form of a curve. I say this because the coils on the ground have about the same radius as that 90 degree curve coming out of the filastruder.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

hi,

Have almost got the extruder made, am now turning my attention to the motor.

From a previous post you said you needed 1-3RPM at 40 in-lbs (4.5Nm), so far I can't track a DC motor down in the UK for less then £80.

I was thinking of using stepper motors as they can be high torque and low rpm (and a constant rpm) but still no luck. Even stepper gearbox are expensive.

Which leads me to my last idea, use a 3.5Nm stepper i already have and 3d print a 2:1 set of gears and make a box out of 6mm steel. Which should (if the gears hold) work.

if anyone has any idea it would really help.

Tom

One option for a powerful 12V motor is a power window motor or winshield wiper motors from a junk yard. They are high torque and run of 12V. I know in the States they are like 10-20 bucks from a junk yard.

setithing wrote:

hi,

Have almost got the extruder made, am now turning my attention to the motor.

From a previous post you said you needed 1-3RPM at 40 in-lbs (4.5Nm), so far I can't track a DC motor down in the UK for less then £80.

I was thinking of using stepper motors as they can be high torque and low rpm (and a constant rpm) but still no luck. Even stepper gearbox are expensive.

Which leads me to my last idea, use a 3.5Nm stepper i already have and 3d print a 2:1 set of gears and make a box out of 6mm steel. Which should (if the gears hold) work.

if anyone has any idea it would really help.

Tom

It's asking a lot from plastic gears. Make sure the diameters are as large as possible to reduce tooth load, the gears as wide as possible to reduce tooth load, and that you print in PLA, as it's harder than ABS.

Since you're using a stepper, you might be able to get away with just spinning it slower and not using a gearbox. This will obviously reduce output.

elmoret wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Seemed like I had trouble with anything much larger than 1.85mm. Could be just me, though.

I have some that measures 1.88. Hopefully I won't have any problems.  I raised the temp to drop it to 1.80.

Extruding fine.  The thrust bearing is making some noise but seems to be holding up.

Nick got some filament from Octave that measured 1.88mm, and I think it fed fine? Probably just my ghetto hot end I was using previously. No issues feeding since I switched to a brand new SD hotend. The other one (QU-BD), I'd drilled, melted, poked at, drilled again, overheated, etc. It had been abused.

Currently printing at 150mm/s without problems.

You mentioned having problems with the QU-BD  extruder? I JUST bought one. What problems did you have? and is it worth still using as a first extruder?

shane.evans36 wrote:

You mentioned having problems with the QU-BD  extruder? I JUST bought one. What problems did you have? and is it worth still using as a first extruder?

Did you buy the hotend or whole extruder?

I just had the hotend. I think my issues were because I didn't fully tighten the brass barrel into the PEEK. There's nothing inherently bad about their design.

I have heard bad things about their extruder, though.

elmoret wrote:
shane.evans36 wrote:

Did you buy the hotend or whole extruder?

I just had the hotend. I think my issues were because I didn't fully tighten the brass barrel into the PEEK. There's nothing inherently bad about their design.

I have heard bad things about their extruder, though.

I bought the whole kit and caboodle... hoping it will work well. What things have you heard were bad about the extruder?

I've heard it jams and strips filament easily.  There is a bolt and plunger for tension rather than a spring.  The plunger can't adjust for variations in filament diameter the way a spring does, so you have to get the tension just right.  Haven't heard anything bad about the hot end though.

Sounds like it needs a mod to drill out the end of the bolt and put in a spring and plunger insert.  Then the tension would remain constant through variations, while still allowing for adjustability.  I have not looked at the design details myself though, so this may not be practical, depending on the size of the bolt and the room for a spring.

IanJohnson wrote:

I've heard it jams and strips filament easily.  There is a bolt and plunger for tension rather than a spring.  The plunger can't adjust for variations in filament diameter the way a spring does, so you have to get the tension just right.  Haven't heard anything bad about the hot end though.

Forum posts on it:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,172178,172178

Review:

http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?i … provements

Thanks for the input everyone. What extruders are you all using without flaw or modification? Is SD working without a hitch?