Re: FilaWinder Documentation

Vino,

This forum is for community-based support. You are probably not getting much support from the community because your inquiries are difficult to understand, owing to the language barrier. Additionally you have done many things wrong, like wiring a power supply with reverse polarity instead of using the included power supply with a plug adapter.

For support from the creator, you should be emailing filawinder at gmail. Have you done that? It would help if you could have someone (a friend, perhaps?) with a better understanding of the English language translate your queries. Much of what you say does not make sense "100 firmware available here" isn't anywhere near true, for example. There's 4 versions of firmware here:

v9a - default
v9b - default with logging for troubleshooting
3mm v9a - for people that don't have a jumper to select 3.0mm
3mm v9b - for people that don't have a jumper to select 3.0mm and want troubleshooting mode on

I think the reason you find the documentation to be "weak" is the language barrier, most folks say it is the best documented project they've had.

The firmware you have loaded already is correct, there is no need to change it.  Communicating through writing isn't working, so I have to make a video, which is taking a little time.  There will be specific steps spelled out so you can tell me that you did each step, and what happened.

Right in the very first post of this thread.

Got it pretty well assembled.  Three questions.

-With the sensor mount, what is the advantage of using the printed one?  The laser pathway is wider than the wood version.  I guess you also need to extend the wires from the laser to get all the way to the sensor board.

-What is the printed servo mount for?  I don't see it referenced videos or the instructions.

-Is there any difference in performance from the wood guide to the printed guide?  I started printing parts before I got the kit (but not by much since the order-shipping process was very fast!).  It seems the small screws in the slots of the wood version would provide more positive back-forth movement.

The small gear wasn't strong enough at the top where the nut goes.   Just a little pressure and snapped on one side.  I think Cura printed it with maybe two or three 'threads'.  I tried to print a beefed up one, but it didn't turn out - I think because I was trying to print it in ABS all by itself.  A small bit of clear packing tape wrapped around the end a few times  and then trimmed to length and tapped for the set screw seemed to give me the right amount of strength.  I see there are some alternate versions that are beefed up on Thingiverse.

The printed sensor mount,  servo mount,  etc were in the prototype,  but replaced with lasercut versions for production.  That meant less time consuming printing for the user.   The only things you need to print are the gears,  spool support,  support base,  control box,  and spool hub.

Are there any modified versions of the firmware that make use of a PID loop for the winder motor?  Bang-bang keeps dropping my filament below the laser (takes a few hours, after calibration).

Hello everybody,
I have some trouble with the filament guide. Because of my big filament spools I changed the design of the winder (see: http://sturm.selfhost.eu/wordpress/filawinder-aufbau/). Meanwhile I also changed the direction of the servo. It is now facing to the spool and the guide is facing to the filastruder. I did this, because I did not have the stability to distribute the filament even to the spool.
Now I have a new idea: I will substitute the servo by a steppermotor with a 8mm threaded rod. On the rod should be a guide which is positioned by the movement of the steppermotor. I don't see any mechanical problem in this. My problem is the arduino program.
Before I try to investigate this stuff I want to ask this community if anybody has some knowledge about this or can tell me where I can find information.
The idea is to substitute the software part for the servo with a part for a NEMA17 stepper.

Best regards
Thomas

What is the problem you are having with guiding the filament?  Does the guide not reach far enough?  Or is the 3mm filament so stiff the guide can't push it all the way to the edge?  You can try setting the servo mount in one of the slots farther from the spool.

Using a stepper motor isn't just a coding change.  You will also need a driver, maybe installed in a breadboard.  The Filawinder has pins you can use to supply the needed 12v, GND, Step and Dir to it.  With an analog gear motor, you send a speed value to its pin and it keeps spinning until you tell it to do something else.  With a stepper, each time you switch the STEP pin on then off it turns one step.  To keep it turning you need to keep switching that pin, and you can't wait for the rest of the program to finish between steps.  Instead the stepper needs to run in an interrupt.  An interrupt causes the rest of the program to stop what it was doing so it can run whatever function is in the interrupt, such as stepping the motor.  I don't remember the details of how to do that, but this is where I started - http://basbrun.com/2009/07/10/arduino-timer-interrupt/.

You can look into using a 360 servo instead, which would be simpler.  That is a servo that is designed to spin continuously.  You would use the same connection, and the code is less complicated than running a stepper.  Since you are sending it speed and direction instead of position, I don't know if there is a way to set the limits in software.  You could use limit switches instead, and plug them in to the pins used by the left and right buttons which would no longer be needed.

Ian, he's talking about replacing the servo with a stepper, not the DC gearmotor.  The idea is that the stepper has a leadscrew on it (positioned horizontally), and the leadscrew nut has the filament guide itself.  This mechanism would be used instead to guide the filament back and forth.

It's a more accurate mechanism than the servo, but as you said much harder to drive (and more expensive).

Hi everyone,
I'm having a power issue with my filawinder. My DC adapter is plugged in and I get 12V on the multimeter, but no power is going to the board or motors. The board lights up whenever I plug in the USB, but that's about it. I'm pretty sure I upload the lastest firmware (v9a) and I can run the serial monitor log. However when I lonly have the power adapter plugged in, nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Hello insta, hello Ian,
insta is right. I want to replace the servo with the guide by a stepper and a leadscrew. The hallsensor should give me a signal. This will result in a well calculated (3mm or 1,75mm filament, using the already existing pinheader) movement of the stepper. So the leadscrew will move the guide in one direction. On the left and right side I will place an endstop. The endstops should be adjustable to fit different spool sizes and positions. When the guide touches the endstop the rotation direction is changed.
So I think the mechanical part is no problem. I will design it in the next days. I ordered some NEMA17 yesterday and I have threaded rods. The rest will be printed. I don't think that it will be to expensive. I paid 90€ (ebay) for 10 NEMA17-Motors with 48Ncm hold torque, - so one costs me 9€. The endstopps and the threaded rods are not expensive too.
But I need help to make the software. How can I use the signal of the hallsensor and the pinheader?

Some information on the initial problem: the 3mm filament is very stiff. When I use the big spools, the rotation results in a very strong pull on the guide arm. The guidearm is moved by the force of the pull when the arm has a position on either side. Obviously this seems to be a problem for the software too. The result is a spool with lots of filament in the middle part but less on the sides. My spools hold 4Kg of filament without any problem.
May be, this is not the right place for this discussion or project. Should we move it to another thread? ... only if there is interest to follow up. Thread could read: "Replacing servo guide on Filawinder by stepper and leadscrew"

A separate thread should be fine.  I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.  I understood what you meant, and suggested a 360 servo instead for simplicity.  You would need to make come kind of coupling to go between the servo horns and the threaded rod.  A servo won't have as much torque as a stepper, but it may be enough. 

It's possible that the guide just isn't moving far enough at the ends of the spool.  As it nears the edge of the spool, each degree of rotation will result in a smaller linear rotation, so if your spool is much wider than normal, the default amount of rotation for 3mm may not be enough.  In the firmware look for this code around line 300, under void guide_control()-

if (guide_direction == 0) {               //If the current direction of the guide is forward
    if (digitalRead(12) == 1){                // If there is no jumper on Pin 12
    guide_angle = (guide_angle + 1.17); }     //Move the guide +1.17 degree for 1.75mm filament
    if (digitalRead(12) == 0){                //If there is a jumper on Pin 12
       guide_angle = (guide_angle + 1.90); }     //Move the guide 2 degrees for 3mm filament
    servo.write(guide_angle);}

if (guide_direction == 1) {                //If the current direction of the guide is back
      if (digitalRead(12) == 1){              //If there is no jumper on Pin 12
    guide_angle = (guide_angle - 1.17); }     //Move the guide -1.17 degree for 1.75mm filament
     if (digitalRead(12) == 0){               //If there is a jumper on Pin 12
       guide_angle = (guide_angle - 1.90); }     //Move the guide -2 degrees for 3mm filament
     servo.write(guide_angle);}

Change the guide angle to something larger than 1.9 to make the guide move more, and experiment until it seems to reach the edges when it needs to. 

To use a stepper, you will need something like the Easydriver set up on a breadboard somewhere - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10267 .  At the bottom left of the control board there are a pair of pins marked Fan, which were never used.  You can use this to connect 12v and GND to the easydriver.  You can use the header marked S (Pin 8) that was used for the guide servo and connect it to STEP on the easy driver. You can use D9 from the expansion header at the bottom of the board to connect to DIR on the driver.  When the hall sensor triggers, you will need to switch pin 8 (STEP) to HIGH and then back to LOW one time for every step the motor needs to take to turn the rod the right amount.  The direction will depend on whether DIR (pin 9) is set HIGH or LOW, which will change when the endstop gets triggered.

188 (edited by sturmth 2014-07-23 09:09:34)

Still waiting for the motors. I cannot do anything on this until I can experiment with the motors.
Meanwhile I think about to substitute the windermotor too. After all I read about using steppers with Arduino it seems to be easier to use steppers for both. The coordination between the two motors seems to be easier. The hall-sensor is not needed then. - Only some ideas ....

Anyone have the dimensions/measurements for the laser cut wood plates? Height and width would be great and anything else would be gravy. Much thanks!

Here's a version someone did without the wood parts- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:200577

Inkscape should be able to open the DXF, and is free.  You might be able to print out templates for cutting, that would be simpler than calling out all the dimensions.  Most 3D and Cad software can also import DXF and extrude it to 3D, so you could make printed versions of those parts.  They should fit if you make them about 6.25mm thick.

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x14
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x88
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xfc

Who can tell me what is wrong?

It isn't connecting to the Arduino.  Sometimes it has trouble if the power switch is on, so make sure that it is only powered through the USB.  Other times it works fine with both power and USB, but switch it off just in case.  You can also try a different USB cable.  I have a couple of cables that otherwise work fine, but won't connect to an Arduino for some reason.  Also try connecting direct rather than through a hub, if you aren't already.

've already tried everything.
Power is also. Connected via USB only.

194 (edited by minimz 2014-08-04 16:34:37)

Hi Lost,

I had to actually have windows update my driver for me for it to work, even though the arduino driver installer said it installed successfully. If you're using windows, go to device manager and uninstall the current drivers, then unplug and replug. When it says driver not installed, click on the balloon that comes up and try to find somewhere that says find driver automatically or something, and it might work for you like it did for me.

However, for me, I have a new problem. I try to follow the guide and the posts in this thread, but I have gotten nowhere. Currently, I have uploaded firmware 9a for 3mm without jumper. In troubleshooting mode 9b, I get the following pic. It is odd becaus the left button is 0 when it should be 1 according to other pictures posted up.

Physically, my problem is that when I switch to auto and hold down a button while turning the potentiometer, the servo does NOT move until I let it go. When I switch off auto, the motor will not move with the potentiometer, instead, it moves when I press left or right and move the potentiometer to the speed it should be at (but will remain at that speed if I don't press left or right and turn the knob until I press left or right again).
What could be wrong?

Thanks

edit: it seems my left push button is broken? I've tried re-wiring with the center and it works perfectly. The left button seems to do the opposite (on when not pressed and off when pressed). I've tried re-wiring/switching polarity too, but that didn't help. Do I have to get a new one? If so, where can I buy the push button that'll fit the case? Or maybe some ninja person can edit the code just for me (o.o)

Post's attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg 292.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Buttons can be made to either connect when pushed, or disconnect when pushed.  It looks like my supplier slipped on of the wrong kind into the last batch.

Look for this line in the firmware, in the void loop() area-

if (digitalRead(8) == 0 && digitalRead(3) ==1) {

Change that 0 to a 1 and see if it works.

IanJohnson wrote:

Buttons can be made to either connect when pushed, or disconnect when pushed.  It looks like my supplier slipped on of the wrong kind into the last batch.

Look for this line in the firmware, in the void loop() area-

if (digitalRead(8) == 0 && digitalRead(3) ==1) {

Change that 0 to a 1 and see if it works.

If I change all digitalRead(8) == 0 to 1 and 1 to 0 (four lines), it works! Thanks Ian!

When i buy "electronics set only" does that mean i get absolutely nothing else like nuts and bolts and what ever else or just not getting the boxes and gears and things like that that can be printed ?

Confused. Product page does not specify any of that sad

Scroll to the bottom of the product page, there's links to parts lists for both the full version and electronics only.

Oh cool.
$59.99 seemed to be pretty good, almost bought it sad

200 (edited by tonycstech 2014-08-24 06:56:15)

Is there a link on how to put the "electronics only" kit ?
How much money would i need to finish it ?
Looking at the full kit, there is a ton of switches and other hardware that i may not be even able to find.
Kinda strange to even offer something like that that's incomplete so much. Am glad God gave me head and legs and everything in between smile

Has any one bought it and put it together ? Was it difficult not knowing anything about it ?

Thanks !