Re: FilaWinder Documentation

The electronics kit is for people who think "That's just a bunch of off the shelf bits and pieces, I could do all that myself if I only I knew how to make a PCB."   Here is a Thingiverse page of someone who did that, though he had his own PCBs made - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:200577.  Another example is Fredaxe on this forum (who also made his own PCB) and wanted to adapt the design to work with his ExtrusionBot.

Aside from the base, which is too big, you can recreate the laser cut parts on a printer.  Just download the dxf files from the Filawinder thingiverse, and extrude them to 6.5mm.  For everything else there is a BOM on Thingiverse with suggested suppliers - http://www.thingiverse.com/download:338741.  You might be able to save on what is there, for instance if you already have the right sizes of bolts (mostly M3 in 10,12,16 and 25 lengths) you can save $15 from not getting them shipped online.  If you buy them out of the drawers at the hardware store, you will probably spend more.   Shipping came to over $50 total, which is a big part of why something as simple as Lyman's winder still cost me $80 to assemble.  There are also small quantity costs- PTFE tubing is cheap if you buy 10m of it, but not as cheap it you only want 2ft.

Think of it like building a Reprap.  You can buy a Prusa i3 kit from a supplier, or look at the BOM and pages on the RepRap wiki and do it all yourself.  You can still look at the assembly manual.  Once you have sourced everything yourself you will still have the same parts to start with.

I get that, but does the "electronics kit" have every switch and electronic component (besides the wires) that i need to build the unit ?
I can print everything else and have screws nuts and bolts.

Custom control board
Arduino Nano
Sensor Board
2 jumpers

Is that all ? When i look at the picture i feel like there should be allot more. Like switches sensors them selves.  not just the sensor board.
Thats where am confused. Why does it not include sensors and switches. DO i need to buy those my self ?

If you want to build a Filawinder but source all of the parts yourself rather than buying a kit, the only thing stopping you is the custom made Control Board and Sensor Board, if you are not someone who is comfortable with the idea of building PCBs.  Offering the PCBs separately makes the Filawinder something that is buildable from off-the-shelf parts.  The ribbon cable is included because while someone may have plenty of wire around, they may not have 6-conductor ribbon cable with the needed connectors.  Throwing that in saves the customer from buying 3x more than they need of a cable they might never use again.  Sensors are included, they are part of the PCBs. 

Offering various kit combinations aimed at various levels of ability is overly complicated and doesn't make much sense.   If you can totally DIY, everything you need is on Thingiverse.   If you can DIY but aren't comfortable sourcing and assembling the PCBs, buy the PCBs from Filastruder.  If you can only kind of DIY because you've never done a project that involved electronics or ordering from places like Digikey or Mouser, then you should buy the kit. 

Or you can work on learning what you need to know in order to DIY.  That's the place I was in when I realized Lyman's winder wasn't going to cut it and I needed to make something better.  I didn't own a soldering iron and didn't know anything about electronics, or programming an Arduino.  The skills I've learned in the course of developing the Filawinder have really expanded the scope of what I can imagine creating.

Many folks have switches and other bits (actually, all sensors are included) left over from various projects. If you don't, then the full kit is for you - it's that simple.

$100 for switches and other small bits is too much. I have wires and filament and printer to print what ever i missing. What i really want to know is a list of things i need to buy (not to print) to get that thing working.
Switches,knobs/buttons/tubes things like that.

Also power supply ? Doesnt come with it does it ? Thats the thing i want to know about voltage and amps. Unless it runs of air particles then am fine with it.

Look at the BOM I posted and see where the money goes.   It shows everything that is in the Filawinder and where you can get it, including the 12V 1A power supply.  Buy the PCB kit which includes the Control Board (arduino already programmed and installed), sensor board, and ribbon cable.  Buy everything else from the sources listed in the BOM, or wherever else you want to get them.   If you source and assemble a complete winder for less including shipping (which is possible) then post an updated BOM of your own so others can see how to do it.

Also remember that price does not equal cost of materials, or even cost of materials + $10.  There is much more to creating and selling a product than the how much it cost to buy the things it is made of.

tonycstech wrote:

Also power supply ? Doesnt come with it does it ? Thats the thing i want to know about voltage and amps. Unless it runs of air particles then am fine with it.

Maybe check the BOM that Ian so graciously provided you, free of charge and the result of hundreds of hours of work and testing. And maybe thank him for that rather than complain.

tonycstech wrote:

$100 for switches and other small bits is too much. I have wires and filament and printer to print what ever i missing. What i really want to know is a list of things i need to buy (not to print) to get that thing working.
Switches,knobs/buttons/tubes things like that.

The grand total for self sourcing from the BOM, with all of the parts and shipping, not counting the laser cut wood, is $193. Can you find cheaper suppliers in single unit quantities? Maybe, maybe not.

What's your time worth?

I just don't understand.

Where can i find STL for motor/electronics mount piece ?
Need to modify it to make it taller and stand on its own.
Thanks !

I believe they are on thingiverse. Search Filawinder.

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

Thingiverse user Datasmasher made one one.

I only use makerbot spools exclusively, but the spool and gear that is designed for the Filawinder slips sometimes if the nut isnt cranked down.  So I recreated the gear and secondary spool holder to accommodate makerbot Spools perfectly.

thingiverse thing:466227

I have a wonderful FilaStruder to go with my SeeMeCNC Rostock Max v2 and I bought the FilaWinder PCB Kit. I printed out and assembled the FilaWinder vertically. Do I need to flash/load firmware to the PCB? If so are there any easy to follow instructions using OSX and Arduino? Instructions always seem to differ slightly between Windows and OSX especially with naming conventions.

The firmware is already loaded,  no need to flash it.

Hi:

My filawinder seems to be ok,but I'm having some issues...Maybe I'm mssing some point.

Sometimes it just stops winding the filament... although the filament is passing just in between
the laser and the sensor sometimes the motor doesn't kick in and the filament keeps piling up...

Another issue is the oposite: sometimes the motor kicks in and then never stops, breaking the
filament. The motor will run until I power the filawinder off.
Both the filawinder and the filastruder are connected to a UPS.

It seems to work well for 10 to 15 minutes and the issues would come up.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Helio.

Try calibrating the laser again, keeping the filament closer to the laser as you move it up and down.  Sometimes it will track better after calibrating that way.  You can run a piece of filament up and down over the sensors and check to see if the motor shuts off when the filament drops below the sensors.  If it does, you can try running in troubleshooting mode with the jumper on the second pair of pins from the left (check the instructions).  I haven't been able to reproduce the problem while in troubleshooting mode.

Thanks Ian ! Bullseye... The laser was just a little bit tilted... Now is working like a charm...

My filawinder power supply just died... the pcb says ´model 789 PCB´. It´s 12V , 1A .
One component in the high voltage area got busted... anyone has a picture
of its board or schematic  ? It worked flawlessly for at least 8 hours....

I seem to have lost or never received the magnet that goes inside the spool gear.  Could you please advise on how to acquire a new one.  Thank you.

heliocoelhojr wrote:

My filawinder power supply just died... the pcb says ´model 789 PCB´. It´s 12V , 1A .
One component in the high voltage area got busted... anyone has a picture
of its board or schematic  ? It worked flawlessly for at least 8 hours....

Just replace it with any 12v 1A supply.  It's not worth trying to repair.

I have lost the small magnet used in filawinder . Can anyone point me a site where i could buy one.

You can get them here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KV … &psc=1

It's 20 of them, they are useful to have around.

Thanks Ian
IThe motor that came with the filawinder was not working. I replaced it with another that is 24V and 65rpm.

But the motor is always turned on regardless whichever mode i am in.
I have gone through all the troubleshooting procedure.  Knob goes from 0-1023.   Left=1-0    Right=1-0   Centre=1-0. Hall sensor is working fine 0-1. Motor speed is also adjusted through knob 0-255 .
I have plugged in the motor wires in the pins that says ""Motor"".
What could be the reason?

Motor speed shows to be 0-255(arduino software) but actually it is on all the time at some constant speed.

224 (edited by DBSDBS 2015-02-19 06:52:25)

Hi to all,

I made a clone of the FilaWinder, following the schematics and it almost work...

The main problem is that I can't calibrate it. I tried many times, but after returning in AUTO mode, there is NO respond from the device. May be that is in a connection with the second big problem: The device responds VERY slowly: for example, when I turn the pot on some direction, the motor  changes its speed AFTER 3-4 second!. When I switch from Auto to Manual mode, OR when I power ON the FilaWinder, the motor starts again after 3-4 seconds.

The "Arduino Nano" is {"Nano V3.0 ATmega328 16M 5V Micro-controller CH340G board For Arduino"} from Ebay. Is the problem in it?

Can someone give me an advice?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------

Solved

I just fired up my filawinder, and am having problems with the guide, Whenever the magnet trips the hall sensor, the guide goes to the left setting and sits there and doesn't move, and the Serial monitor confirms this.
also, the hall sensor definitely 'sees" the magnet.
It seems to just want to stay "locked on" the "left" setting

seems like software...

Am I missing software or something, as it seems to be a software issue.