326 (edited by genesat1 2017-08-26 03:18:04)

Re: FilaWinder Documentation

So I put mine in debug mode, and finally tried to find out why it always pauses at the min and max position for so many turns (it's created some unique looking spools if I wasn't there to correct it when it started to pile up on the ends of the spool - eventually the filament would slip towards the center and create a big out shoot).  It just causes some odd looking spools, somehow I've never had it tangle in a way to make a print fail.

Turns out the hall sensor is working fine, the guide angle/servo is the problem.  Say my max is 80 and min is 50.  If I started the serial monitor with guide angle at 70, and kept my hand lightly on the servo to feel when it moved it would move gradually all the way to the min of 50.  Then when it tried to turn around and go back up it wouldn't move at all.  The guide angle had to hit ~60 before the servo would move, and then it only moved a small amount.  It would go up to 80, and do the same thing in reverse.  It wouldn't move again until it had counted down past ~70.  So, I went to the part of the code where it sets guide angle to min, and max, and added guide_angle = (guide_angle+10); and - 10 respectively.  I'll have to see how that does with filament actually being spooled on, but on a test run with just a dummy string of filament lowered into the sensors to make it operate as it would normally it hit the min, and turned around as it should.

Edit:  Done several spools of PLA, and it's spooling a lot better for me with that code change.  No more pausing at the ends for so many turns.

Anyone needing a spool adaptor for larger center holes here is an adaptor.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/16841/fi … l-adaptor/

Does anyone still support the filawinder? I sent an email to [email protected] but havent got a reply.

Im having trouble with my filawinder. It will be working fine spooling up my filament then all the sudden it will turn on full speed and noy turn off pulling the filament out of the filastruder.  Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, Ian still supports the Filawinder but given that it is the holidays it may take some time until he's able to respond.

330 (edited by Jimustanguitar 2018-01-05 13:57:23)

I just sorted out an issue that I thought was worth sharing with the community...

My filawinder started functioning erratically. I turned it on one day, and the left/right buttons didn't set the limits of the guide anymore. The center/calibrate button would intermittently let me move the guide, but wouldn't start a calibration in manual mode, etc...

I reloaded the V11 firmware, and it behaved exactly the same way, so I ordered a new Arduino... While I waited on it to arrive, a buddy suggested that I try loading the EEPROM clearing example sketch to it, and then reloading the V11 firmware. That did the trick, and I'm back up and running!

So, if anyone sees buggy behavior that reloading the firmware doesn't fix, try zeroing out the EEPROM and then loading the firmware again.

Has there been any advance on the jumper selectible 3mm setting? I have a selection of printers, some 3mm and some 1.75.

It has been a week and i can't figure it out. everything seems to be built and wired correctly. Im not 100% sure if my magnet if facing correct orientation but im more concern with not getting the laser to turn on as well as spool motor doesn't seem to respond. i was able to control servo with no issues at all.

to be honest i am a bit disappointed in the packaging and instructions with this kit. the provided printout was a complete waste  every single page was faded beyond recognition.and non of the hardware bags are labeled. i purchased a winder and extruder and everything came mixed up. making it extremely difficult to tell if any hardware was missing or being used on the correct machine. i am not able to get my winders motor to run nor was i able to get my temp regulator to show anything on the display which makes me wonder if i am using the correct power supply since nothing  was mention with specifics. for $300 i feel like i wasted my money.. i expected a much more user friendly experience.

Apologies on the printout quality. We can send another, or it can be downloaded.

There are only two hardware bags, one is for the Filastruder and one is for the Filawinder. It should be clear which is which from the parts list that is in each set of instructions. If you want to check what was included, just check the parts list.

It should be apparent which power supply goes to which machine - the Filawinder power supply is shipped in the bag with the Filawinder parts. Also the Filastruder gets the bigger power supply, as it has a much bigger motor than the Filawinder + a heater. But if you were confused which is which, would be happy to answer if asked.

If the PID controller is not turning on, most likely it is not wired properly. But you can connect the power supply directly to pins 9 and 10 of the PID controller if you'd like to test it.

I have the FilaWinder and want to learn the Arduino codes, so I downloaded FilaWinder_v11.zip and open FilaWinder.ino in Arduino Software v1.6.7, loaded libraries and without changing any codes click on verify. Following is the compilation error message:

C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Local\Temp\buildc4af2706fdd7a1abb8a0afacf26d163e.tmp\sketch\QTRSensors.cpp.o:C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Local\Temp\buildc4af2706fdd7a1abb8a0afacf26d163e.tmp\sketch/QTRSensors.cpp:46: first defined here

C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Local\Temp\buildc4af2706fdd7a1abb8a0afacf26d163e.tmp\libraries\FilaWinder_v11\QTRSensors.cpp.o: In function `QTRSensors::init(unsigned char*, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)':

C:\Users\Eddie\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FilaWinder_v11/QTRSensors.cpp:46: multiple definition of `QTRSensors::~QTRSensors()'

C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Local\Temp\buildc4af2706fdd7a1abb8a0afacf26d163e.tmp\sketch\QTRSensors.cpp.o:C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Local\Temp\buildc4af2706fdd7a1abb8a0afacf26d163e.tmp\sketch/QTRSensors.cpp:46: first defined here

C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Local\Temp\buildc4af2706fdd7a1abb8a0afacf26d163e.tmp\libraries\FilaWinder_v11\QTRSensors.cpp.o: In function `QTRSensors::init(unsigned char*, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)':

C:\Users\Eddie\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FilaWinder_v11/QTRSensors.cpp:46: multiple definition of `QTRSensors::~QTRSensors()'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Using library FilaWinder_v11 in folder: C:\Users\Eddie\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FilaWinder_v11 (legacy)
Using library Servo at version 1.1.1 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Servo
exit status 1
Error compiling.
Any help would appreciated.

I worked it out Arduino IDE placed the file FilaWinder_v11.ino together with the library files using the option Add ZIP Library... By moving the file FilaWinder_v11.ino to the Sketch folder it verified without errors.

337 (edited by genesat1 2018-07-15 20:11:18)

I think I have a motor failure, and I've ordered a replacement.  Thought I would check in here though just to see if others agree or if my line of thinking is wrong on this.  My Filawinder started restarting randomly, I found in manual mode the resets happen when the motor is on, and do not if the motor is off.  I replaced the power supply with a higher amp one and the restarts stopped (which might make you think power supply), but the motor would turn unevenly and get hot.  I took the gearbox off the motor and the gearbox is fine, turns with no problem, and the motor gear also turns freely.  I'm thinking motor brushes - would you guys agree with that?

Edit: Update, got the new motor, put it on, and yep. It was the motor causing the Filawinder to restart.

Just finished assembling my filawinder and for some reason, the calibration will not work at all. The sensor doesn't seem to be recognizing the filament at all. I double and triple checked all the connections and went over all the videos and guides, not sure what else could be wrong!

Hello everyone,

I recently bought this fine piece of equipment, the assembly and the set up is easy and everything is quite good explained in your manuals.
There is only one problem that I keep having with the FilaWinder and is that the hall sensor just does not seems to work.
when the kit first arrived, the sensor was broken (as well as other laser cut pieces) so I bought a new sensor (same series number) and replaced the broke one (same position and orientation according to specs data sheet)  but I just cant make it work properly,  servo guide occasionally vibrates when the magnet is close in the FIRST loop but then it stops moving at all, I have tried passing the magnet (both sides) manually to check orientation and response but nothing seems to work, any ideas?

Hello! My name is Andrei, I'm from Moldova!
For more than half a year I have been studying and introducing into the technology of 3D printing, and recently I was thought of having my own production of a filament. That's why I got to this post. Huge respect to the author for his work, everything is very simple and ingenious! Unfortunately, due to the fact that I live in Moldova, I will not be able to buy such a set, the cost of delivery will probably be more expensive than the set itself. So I decided to try to assemble a similar set myself. While I am only collecting information electronically, and immediately a question arose - is the board on which ARDUINO Nano is located - is it the author’s development, or can this board be bought on the Internet?

You can buy just the control board, arduino, and sensor from Filastruder.com.  The shipping might be less for such a small package.

To build yourself, look at Thingiverse-

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:174383

There are Gerber and Eagle files for the PCBs there.

IanJohnson wrote:

You can buy just the control board, arduino, and sensor from Filastruder.com.  The shipping might be less for such a small package.

To build yourself, look at Thingiverse-

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:174383

There are Gerber and Eagle files for the PCBs there.

Thank you for your quick response! I will study the link you sent! Best regards!

What do i need to open/edit/upload firmware ?
Thanks !

Tony,
You will need Arduino software.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

-os3dp

Does anybody have a firmware that addresses issue with pressing either left positioner or right positioner buttons that instead of moving to previously set point, just randomly ?

I am struggling to set the limits because under filament tension, limits are slightly off. I have to overshoot or undershoot all the time but i am not sure where i was last time.
I would press the Set Limit button on the right and arm will just to a random place instead of jumping to the place where arm had been set.
Is it because of the potentiometer knob position is turned elsewhere ?

It kinda makes sense that it does that based on where potentiometer is pointing but it also makes me believe that this potentiometer needs to be continuous rotation instead of back and forth.

If i replace potentiometer with continuous rotation, what changes in the firmware i need ?

tonycstech wrote:

Does anybody have a firmware that addresses issue with pressing either left positioner or right positioner buttons that instead of moving to previously set point, just randomly ?

I am struggling to set the limits because under filament tension, limits are slightly off. I have to overshoot or undershoot all the time but i am not sure where i was last time.
I would press the Set Limit button on the right and arm will just to a random place instead of jumping to the place where arm had been set.
Is it because of the potentiometer knob position is turned elsewhere ?

It kinda makes sense that it does that based on where potentiometer is pointing but it also makes me believe that this potentiometer needs to be continuous rotation instead of back and forth.

If i replace potentiometer with continuous rotation, what changes in the firmware i need ?

There is no such thing as a continuous rotation pot. A pot is designed to reach a max level and a minimum level and anywhere in between. Being continuous would mean the max or minimum would never be reached. They do have multi turn pots that can be turned up to 4 times before reaching max but will stop at that point.

What you are probably thinking of is a rotary encoder. Those can be turned continuously but requires some sort of software and hardware mod to monitor and count the pulses they generate and do whatever needs to be done when the count is reached.

I have been an electronic tech and parts buyer for 20 years so I would think I have a bit of knowledge in parts. But if you would like another source here you go or just Google the question "continuous rotation potentiometer"..

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q … entiometer

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

347 (edited by tonycstech 2019-07-11 22:23:30)

There are pots that turn 360 degrees, i dont know what you call them but they are allover the place.
Maybe they are not potentiates at all i dont know.
What i am saying is, it would be better if one of those was used so that arm would not jump to pot position when adjustment is attempted.

So how complicated would that be to implement it into filawinder ?

348 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-07-12 00:42:19)

A pot works by having a voltage applied to one of it pins and then as the wiper which is attached to the center pin travels through it's arc the voltage is reduced or increased. it essentially a variable resistor.

The device you are talking about being a continuous turn is an encoder. It works by having a IR LED and and IR transistor paired with a disk that has tiny slots cut in it that is connected to a shaft as the shaft turns those slots align so that the IR light can pass through and strike the transistor generating a signal that is a set voltage but variable frequency depending on shaft rotation speed.

It generates a pulse train as the shaft turns. With the correct firmware and hardware that pulse train can be used to control speed, direction and so on based on the pulse count and the time between pulses. It essentially converts or encodes analog data into digital data.

Again though these are not pots and do not function like one nor can they be used to replace one without serious hardware and firmware changes. You need hardware that can receive and count those pulse and relay that data to the microcontroller. You would then need firmware to tell the microcontroller to run the arm in run direction until x amount of pulses are received and then reverse the direction until x amount of pulses are received.

In addition you would need error traps in the firmware in case there was a filament jam or break and the system would stop after X time with no pulses. Or in the event something cause too many pulses.

In short you would have to create a board that could capture the pulse train from the encoder then send that train or data to the microprocessor. You would also have to create a complete plug in module/sketch in the firmware to support the interface and data exchange between it and the processor and then have the support to control the stepper on the arm and change its direction based on pulse count from the encoder. you would also have to figure out how many pulses where in a full stroke of the arm.

You could probably do it with a Pi3 or Pi4 but you will need to write the sketch or code for it from scratch to interface between the encoder and the controller for the motor. You could probably make a dedicated board but it would still require extensive code writing.

What you want to do sounds simple but actual implementation is not that simple. You are better off just replacing the parts that are bad or may be bad and using the design as intended. There are many using the Filawinder and Filastruder with no issues so they seem to be reliable.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I understand pretty much everything you say here.

No parts are bad, they just dont work like i want them to.

When i set the limit for MAX position, that position is NOT held by the servo because tension of filament cases it to slightly shift.
More tension of filament=more shift.

I am in a process of making alternative guide mechanism.
Using 2 channel relay i can reverse motor polarity, changing direction of the guide.
When filawinder motor is activated, electricity from there will also travel to this relay.

Right now this relay is 5V so i have to use buck converter on the top to deal with that. Ill use one 12V relay module as soon as it arrives.

The flip switch is used to reverse those relays once the guide moves far enough.
You can see that switch is flipped every time motor is reversed far enough to trigger it.

Cant wait to try it.

This mechanism will make filament position far more solid. You can apply tension on the servo ark and make it shift but you cant make this thing shift no matter how much force you apply.
http://soliforum.com/i/?Qg8G2eA.jpg

350 (edited by tonycstech 2019-07-13 23:37:07)

Question.
When sensor picks up filament it makes motor to turn by sending variable voltage depending on the sensor reading..

My mechanism is facing a problem that if i connect it directly to the filawinder motor, filawinder motor starts to turn by its self disregarding the sensor.

So the question is: Is there ON/OFF pins for 12V that simply turns ON and OFF when sensor picks up filament ?
I'd rather connect there.
Maybe ill try a diode to see it if helps.

EDIT:
Diode helped to stop filawinder from turning by its self.
But the problem with variable voltage still exists.
If filawinder motor turns only little bit, its not enough to trigger 5V relay in order to reverse direction if needed.

I need good 12v On OFF that corresponds to motor state.