351 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-07-14 01:44:40)

Re: FilaWinder Documentation

Why not get a relay that will run on the voltage the motor is running on?

They go as low as 3 volts? Or use a MOSFET/Transistor to in place of the relay and use the signal from the motor to run the gate of the transistor?

You also need to make sure you have a snubbing diode across the relays coil. If not you can damage things. When the coil of a relay is de-energized is generates a back EMF that can be several hundred to several thousand volts depending on the operating voltage.

You could also try a DC solid state relay.

Just to make sure, you are also using the buttons and knob correctly I sassume?

There is a switch to change between auto mode, (speed controlled by the sensors), and manual mode (speed controlled by the knob). When holding down the left button, the knob will move the guide to position it at its left limit, and the right button will do the same for the right limit.

While in manual mode the middle button puts the sensors in a calibration routine for 5 seconds. During calibration pass a piece of filament back and forth across the sensor, and it will record the values that let it detect when the shadow is present.

While the winder is running in Auto mode, holding the middle button will let you use the knob to set the current position of the guide, and whichever direction it traveled to get to that point is the direction it will continue as the spool turns.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

352 (edited by tonycstech 2019-07-14 06:51:47)

You dont seem to understand the problem.

Filawinder board sends around 6V to the motor in automatic mode at slow speed. It almost never turns at maximum speed in automatic mode because filament is not extruding fast enough.

Relay is 5V for a reason. Reason is that filawinder motor sometimes only gets around 6V-7V
Powering buck converter with 7V which also powers relay down the line makes relay not activate sometimes.
Buck converter is used to protect relay from anything higher then 5V . But it cannot protect from under voltage.

I need to know if any PINs can be reconfigured to state  ON or OFF when motor is engaged.
I do not want to change how motor behaves, i just want to use unused pins if i can.

I know for a fact that any pin can be programmed to do what ever, i just don know how to.
I dont know how to make pins to go HOT at 12V at same time as motor is engaged.

Where can i find pinout diagram ?

Maybe someone can help me rewrite the code for SERVO ?
Instead of sending angle information, just do ON OFF state for pins ?

I understand your problem. But you lack the knowledge of components and their functions necessary in electronics to do what you want effectively. I mentioned a Solid State DC relay or MOSFET because unlike a regular relay the operation voltage can be over a range from 1 volt to 30 volts in some cases.

Your best option would be to PM Ian Johnson a MOD here as well as the creator of the Filawinder. He might be willing to help you with pins or code changes.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

354 (edited by tonycstech 2019-08-03 10:45:07)

he doesnt respond.
DO you know how to disable motor smoothing in firmware for automatic mode ?
Firmware downloaded from link on first page of this topic does not compile.
Without changing anything it says "exit status 1
EEPROMex.h: No such file or directory so i downloaded the EEPROMex library.
But now i have Error compiling for board Arduino Nano.

Tony, I had the same issue. If you open the sketch and go into EEPROMVar.h and change the line that says:

#include <EEPROMex.h>

to

#include "EEPROMex.h"

the sketch should compile and upload; this worked for me when I was having the same issue.

356 (edited by on2vhf 2020-06-12 07:08:04)

Hi,

Please support for my filawinder

Info for mother board
See pictures

Left

Motor is ok
Auto ?
Guide min ?
Sensor cal ?
Servo ok
Guide max ?

Right

Knob ok
Power ?

For command i am identify by number ok ? 1 to 5

Please help mee for connect corectly command to my mother board

Bests regards

Pierard laurent

http://soliforum.com/i/?BLcrpZu.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?tFamFZC.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?70oiTAd.jpg

stls on page 1 are not working

Hello. I am having a hard time sourcing the components for filawinder PCB here in Brazil, so I wonder if it is possible to replace same of them for off-the-shelf arduino gear. I.e.

- The PDV-P8103 photocell, can I use the standard arduino 5mm LDR?

- Line Laser Module, can I use the standard 650nm 5V 5mW red laser emitter or 5v laser diode arduino uses?

- Hall Effect Sensor OH090U, can I use more common US1881 instead?

- The 4 resistor 5 pin resistor network 4605X-101-103LF doesn't sell here in Brazil nowhere that I can find. Can I simulate one using four 10k resistors like the image bellow?

http://soliforum.com/i/?bDQiXpx.gif

- Can I use a 37mm motor with more than 15 RPMs?

Thank you for creating and supporting filawinder.

This link may help you

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:206935

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Hi Tin, thanks for answering.

Yeah, I am doing the PCB from there, because I could not download the one fredaxe published here in 2014 (the files are not online anymore).

My actual problem is finding some of the components here in Brazil.

The LDR would probably work.  The calibration step should account for whatever range of resistance it has.

Any line laser is fine, it just serves as an intense light for the sensor that is bright enough to overcome variations in ambient.

The resistor network is used to save space.  Simulating one with some sort of breakout is fine.

A faster gear motor is ok, 33 rpm isn't too fast.  A faster motor will make the action a little more jerky.  It will pull the filament up the sensor in shorter, quicker movements rather than a smoother up and down.  It depends on how fast the extruder is running as well.  I wouldn't go over 60rpm.

The US1881 hall sensor won't work, because it is latching.  It uses one pole to activate, and the other pole to deactivate.  The The OH090U activates in the presence of a magnetic field, and deactivates when the magnet goes away.  It's ok to use a different hall sensor so long as it isn't latching.  The third type of hall sensor outputs a voltage that depends on the strength of the magnetic field.  That might also work but there are more variables going on.

Hello Ian, thanks for the really good work on creating and supporting filawinder!

How about putting two magnets with opposite poles next to each other in the spool holder (problably with little redesign of the STL to make them fit) so they will arm and disarm (latch) the US1881, it would be a good solution?

That would work.   It would look the same to the controller.

Thank you. One last question, I have a bunch of unused STP55NF06L MOSFETs here (replaced from RAMPS boards). Can I use them instead of IRLB8721? Or perhaps IRF1404, which is easier to find here?

for the printed parts on main page  I am getting a bad request error. is there another link I could use to download?

chainbreaker2012 wrote:

for the printed parts on main page  I am getting a bad request error. is there another link I could use to download?

Try here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:174383

Hello,
I am having difficulty getting my Filawinder to work properly. I believe the issue is with the filament sensor to motor control. I have entered troubling shoot mode and tracked the output. All the inputs are functioning as they should. The filament sensor is feeding the board readings from 0-3000 but the motor will not turn the spool at any point. I attached the Serial Monitor's output showing the sensor data. Is this a software issue? A hardware issue? Any thoughts to a solution are appreciated.
Regards,
Matt
http://soliforum.com/i/?roX0z64.jpg

368 (edited by tonycstech 2021-06-27 01:42:45)

#1 check the magnet is close enough to the hall sensor.
#2 check the hall sensor following my video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWezV1Ooa4I

Guide moves when magnet passes by the sensor.
I am not sure if motor has to spin or not at this point.

Consider upgrading to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3777364

tonycstech wrote:

#1 check the magnet is close enough to the hall sensor.
#2 check the hall sensor following my video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWezV1Ooa4I

Guide moves when magnet passes by the sensor.
I am not sure if motor has to spin or not at this point.

Consider upgrading to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3777364

The hall sensor is working as expected and moving the filament guide when in manual mode. The problem is in auto mode. The filament sensor which tracks the "droop" of the filament as it gets spooled is not triggering the motor to spool the filament. When the reading is above 1500 the motor should turn the spool to bring the filament up so the photocells are sending a value below 1500. The motor which spools the filament never turns on in auto mode.

370 (edited by tonycstech 2021-06-27 04:50:31)

Oh i see. photosensor does not register correctly.
Did you calibrate ?
use piece of filament to calibrate, not a screw driver or anything else.
Clear filament can cause issues but not likely.
Make sure filament is passing at the correct distance from the sensors casting good shadow from the laser.
Laser does work, right ?
And it does point a straight line directly at the sensors right ?
and filament is in between them casting the shadow on the sensors ?
Check the wiring.
I had wiring issues. Pins are cheap, they corrode overtime so spray some alcohol on them, work them in an out couple of times (power disconnected obviously) dry and try again.

Sorry, have to go with the "did you plug it in" method sometimes lol

tonycstech wrote:

Oh i see. photosensor does not register correctly.
Did you calibrate ?
use piece of filament to calibrate, not a screw driver or anything else.
Clear filament can cause issues but not likely.
Make sure filament is passing at the correct distance from the sensors casting good shadow from the laser.
Laser does work, right ?
And it does point a straight line directly at the sensors right ?
and filament is in between them casting the shadow on the sensors ?
Check the wiring.
I had wiring issues. Pins are cheap, they corrode overtime so spray some alcohol on them, work them in an out couple of times (power disconnected obviously) dry and try again.

Sorry, have to go with the "did you plug it in" method sometimes lol

I did calibrate it and from the screenshot I believe it worked. The loop pos value changes as I move the filament across the photocells which makes me think the calibration, laser, and filament are not the issue. The filament is casting a strong shadow on the photocells. The laser is emitting a strong, straight, red line which lines up directly with the photocells. The wiring matches the instructions. Cleaned the pins with some 91% ISO and the motor still will not turn the spool in auto mode. Could there be an issue with the firmware?

yeah.
I had that too. For what ever reason firmware gets corrupted so i had to reflash it my self at least 2 times in the past.

How do I reload the firmware? I assume its in the same Arduino app which troubleshooting was done through, right? I got a copy of v11 to load but don't know how to use Arduino well.

374 (edited by maxmills1982 2021-10-31 13:52:20)

Hi all im trying to make my own filawinder from scrach and cant seem to get the firmware on to an arduino nano but i keep geting an error....
Error compilling for board arduino  nano... any suggestions  on how to fix it

And yes its all plugged in  properly

375 (edited by nakagomi 2022-03-16 00:39:39)

Hi all, I have the trouble of memorize width of swing. Only a certain width is recorded no matter how many times it is set. Does anyone have answer? https://youtu.be/FA64sn4eMHU