51 (edited by wardjr 2013-12-14 17:16:50)

Re: RepRapDiscount "Bulldog XL" Geared Metal Extruder on a Solidoodle 3!

wardjr wrote:

Just wanted to post a revised mount for the Bulldog XL using the SD Carriage.
I wanted to get the center of gravity a little lower as the Bulldog is heavier.
Just print it solid without support and a good brim.  It is supposed to print on edge so I designed in some support.  Just remove the lines where the fan sits and the thin wall where the fan vents towards the hot end.
This is and update of the last one I put on here and is much more user friendly.
Happy Printing

Just wanted to let every one know I updated the files above.  The others worked but this one is much easier to print.
Sorry for the poor quality phone pic.

Post's attachments

Bulldog_SD_Carriage.JPG
Bulldog_SD_Carriage.JPG 123.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

bulldog_SD_E3D_rev9.stl 60.92 kb, 38 downloads since 2013-12-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Printing out my last piece then installing. What are you guys using for a shim for the E3D? Pics please ASAP! I would be very thankful!

U - mold. . Pics coming

Say I didnt have any U mold. I was thinking of maybe Tinfoil for temp use?

55 (edited by adrian 2013-12-17 02:16:39)

Just some U-Mold or Polymorph (depending on US - RestOfWorld) . Its a low-melt point polypropelene awesome for quick molding jobs. It will only do 50°C before softening, but, it works even with an enclosure due to the fan. Lasted me since I did the hack install day I got the Bulldog... RadioShack/Jaycar/Maplins

Just make sure to push the E3D 'upwards' so its flush against the base of the stepper mounts.. then mould it in. I used a hot knife to trim it back to the top of the fan bracket because I did.. not neccesary though.
Dont over do it so it wont fit into the bracket - a few pellets go a long way. I suggest moulding it in then pushing it into the bracket to ensure its physically formed as needed. Once cooled, I can remove the insert to allow me to swap heatsinks on the E3D...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/SxJk4r58pasyqfupSUz_3IWsGAHZy-K7dY3lmB_7WqE=w482-h857
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/CTR7gSHtv5UirAKpo2-pSxqlaYgU9L5RKT577vXoxIo=w1172-h659
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/5Nxaf1ghjCOYRilT2WvneOmrsmfHualyCduvEx1pnTo=w1172-h659

Tinfoil, or a washer of appropriate thickness cut into 1/3rds and 2 pieces inserted under the top collar would also work.

Looks like I need some U mold! Looks like cool stuff!

I just used a small piece of stainless safety tie wire the appropriate thickness and shaped it into a U.  Any solid wire the correct thickness would work.  Not as cool as U-mold but much quicker and available.  Much easier than washers also.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Nice Idea! I wrapped mine in some kapton and it seems to work pretty good for test purposes.

Are you using the SD carriage or Lawsy's with bearings?

Lawsy's

When you get it up and printing could you let me know if you notice the extra mass?
I needed to slow my prints down a bit because I have more movement than before.  I am guessing the extra play is in the SD carriage bushing and I just didn't notice it as much before.  It is probably just time for me to order up some bearings and install Lawsy's carriage.

So i got the lawsy's carriage adaper on and my belts only go on one way, the opposite of the stock setup. Reverse of what they should be. Is there an easy way to reverse the stepper minus rewiring it? My carriage is moving the opposite of hat it should!

NM, reversed the wires. Got it!

Got mine printing last night. Just ran a quick test print. Took me a while to get my extruder to turn. Not sure what was going on? I had my connector a wired up and had to remove one side. Not quite sure how to get these connectors to work yet. Also mine is crooked due to a warped print. I think I can modify it to work fine until I make another.

Anyway. here is a test print. Ignore the gap in the back. I had the wrong slicer settings selected.

There is a strange layer shift at the top. Not sure what caused this yet.

http://i.imgur.com/n44seaX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/y7JOQiV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v8oPJFf.jpg

65 (edited by wardjr 2013-12-17 16:00:15)

I had to spend some time adjusting the spring tension for the filament.   I had a very similar problem to the one in your picture and that's what it was.  I can't see the set screws in your photo but mine stick out about 2mm or so.  In the beginning I had them to tight.
Unrelated how do I get my pics to just show up?  instead of as a link?

Post's attachments

Bulldogtension.JPG
Bulldogtension.JPG 87.86 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

wardjr wrote:

Unrelated how do I get my pics to just show up?  instead of as a link?

You can set up imgur or virtually any other photo upload account.  Once photos are uploaded; you can choose a link from the photo which is formatted for embedding in a forum post.  Just paste that into your post and your photo will appear!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I took mine out some.

Ok. Ran another test cube. Looked ok.

Did any of you adjust your stepper pots at all?

gears have more mass to accelerate and decelerate, so I actually dropped my max velocity and max feedrates marginally as well... and yes, you may want to tune your vref by setting RH to extrude 100-200mm's at around 20mm/s and thenadjusting the vref up or down as required to get a very smooth drive gear motion. If you wanted to be fiddling with a DMM and all, then the value on a A4988 would be 0.320 V, on a DRV8825 from Pololu its 0.400, and on a DRV8825 from Kimet (CoolDrv V2) its 0.200 . This sets it to .8amp, which is just shy of the 1.0amp max for the stepper.

Alright, It's time I order a DMM anyways. : )

I want a fluke 77 IV..... To expensive for my use. What are you using for a DMM?

I ran one of those stress test prints last night after taking my retract from 1 to 0 and I forgot to turn supports off. Turned out ok minus the stringing from no retract.

I def need to adjust my stepper. Looks like I have some pulsing going on still. Very slight.

Stevos758 wrote:

Ok. Ran another test cube. Looked ok.

Did any of you adjust your stepper pots at all?

I had to adjust mine and interestingly enough I also had to adjust my X axis also.  For some reason as soon as I plugged in the Bulldog and did a quick test of every movement the X began to groan.  Just turned it down a tiny bit and all was good.
I didn't adjust mine with a meter just by sound and everything is running smoothly.

@all

The springs used in Bulldog Extruders are custom made. In case the springs are too strong, you can remove one of the springs, it's still good enough. Myself i am using my Extruder with 2 springs.

Regards,
Elvira

73 (edited by RRD_Bulldog 2013-12-20 11:05:34)

@Stevos758

Connection of stepper motor is wrong and motor have no power . You need to exchange place for red and brown wire.

Yes, I figured out the hard way! hahaha! Thanks!

Have it printing now. Need to work on some settings when I get time.

wardjr wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Just wanted to post a revised mount for the Bulldog XL using the SD Carriage.
I wanted to get the center of gravity a little lower as the Bulldog is heavier.
Just print it solid without support and a good brim.  It is supposed to print on edge so I designed in some support.  Just remove the lines where the fan sits and the thin wall where the fan vents towards the hot end.
This is and update of the last one I put on here and is much more user friendly.
Happy Printing

Just wanted to let every one know I updated the files above.  The others worked but this one is much easier to print.
Sorry for the poor quality phone pic.

I was going to print this but I printed a different one because when I imported it into RH it wasn't showing the fan hole.  Has anyone else had luck with this?

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.