1 (edited by adrian 2013-11-20 15:50:06)

Topic: RepRapDiscount "Bulldog XL" Geared Metal Extruder on a Solidoodle 3!

I received yesterday my RepRapDiscount (RRD) Bulldog XL 5:1 Geared All Metal Extruder. Lots more info on where to get one is over at http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4491/rep … ot-hotend/ - you can still get one via the IndieGoGo campaign. But read on for a *very* early review.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3NxgqPx1z_4/UoriO5VTfII/AAAAAAAAJIo/0mWDJRWj6qQ/w1166-h656-no/20131119_145834_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

The extruders are very well packaged! RRD has taken the ingenious (in my opinion) route of using older iPhone 3GS-esque boxes - there probably is 100000s of them over there smile
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mO7vzmkKnrc/Uoy8mWvDH2I/AAAAAAAAJMY/kn65Io_SO9M/w1166-h656-no/20131121_004328.jpg

Inside the Bulldog is bubble wrapped generously along with the injection molded 'universal' fan plate designed to accomodate 90% of the popular hotends on the market today that utilise the 'Groove Mount' system. So J-Head, Prusa V1 + MkII, Merlin, Magma, and the original SD Hotend.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-twICMfPwhAY/Uoy8-Efd_kI/AAAAAAAAJMk/Jk6hvw9mVjQ/w1166-h656-no/20131121_004456.jpg
Additionally inside the box is a retaining bolt + nut and an allen key for all of the various caphead bolts on the extruder.

Unfortunately, the ever-popular around here E3D isn't quite Groove Mount compatible - its close, but actually a smidgen taller in its collar. It also has considerably larger cooling fins than other hotends. This means that a few mods are needed to make it E3D compatible - namely a Shim of some description (Washer, or u-mold wink - as the E3D stays cold at the top) and you need to print the modified Fan Plate ( http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?actio … download=1 ). I'll get a neater printed shim posted in the next day or so.

The extruder is designed with all-metal hotends that require active-cooling in mind. The fan on the fan plate is actually a Blower-style, designed to pull air down over the stepper to cool it, whilst also directing the outlet down and over the hotend. So far in my testing, this has worked quite nicely with the E3D even - there is a noticeable amount of air movement across the entire hotend. As you can see in the pics/video this frees up a huge chunk of real-estate for mounting extrusion fans!

The advantage of this extruder design is that its also an enclosed path almost the entire channel - in fact the filament leaves the very high-quality hobbed geared and enters another channel before going straight into the top of the hotend. There is no possibility of spaghetti between gear and hotend.

This is also the XL version, meaning its a 5:1 geared NEMA with 495 steps/mm @ 1/16 and 990 @ 1/32 - this in theory will lead to being able to do silky smooth walls and certainly from the first few test prints there is virtually no moire.

The tension arm is fantastic - its 'over/under' in the horizontal plane across the gear with very firm springs. Combined with the deep-grove hobbed gear, it really grips the filament. The XL is designed for 1.75mm or 3mm filament and so far its working beautifully with 1.75mm with no adjustment.

Oh - the exit channel is also threaded just like the top - so you can very easily use this in a Bowden setup with the supplied push-fit coupler.

Now to the bit you all want to know - how do I get it onto the Solidoodle?

So far I have mounted it on Lawsy's carriages using a plate 2n2r5 (almost entirely tongue ) and I sorted out yesterday. I'll leave it to him to post the final version. With a mild amount of further tweaking, it *will* work on the stock carriage as well.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yDvMAatvfjI/UozEVOzVmwI/AAAAAAAAJPg/8Df5TMi3WFY/w415-h737-no/20131121_011349.jpg

Bonus: This setup has returned my Z-height back to be about +2-3mm's above stock! No more lost height from the E3D! But yes, it pokes the stepper outside the frame fractionally - so those with a top on the immediate top would have need to revise the plate height.
Double Bonus: You dont loose any quick-change abilities.. I haven't even bolted mine to the fan plate, and its rock solid without movement. This means its a simple slide to the left and then lever up to swap the entire hotend over. So in practice almost the same as using a Mk5 with a clipped-on-blank to help 'retain' the arm (as I do wink ).
Tip re feeding filament As the filament path is almost entirely guided by polished alu - all you need to do is get the new filament just into the tip of the hobbed gear - let the extruder to the rest of the work! Its not like the existing setups we are used to where there is a large path for the filament to 'wander' once it gets past the extruder gear.

I also took the opportunity to replace my loom with a more stiff one to make it stay upright and make some future upcoming tests easier. I ran new wires for everything and have included a motor and fan plug.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g8ErVq5oyOs/Uosu-R83qTI/AAAAAAAAJJs/FOMgy8ZdZb4/w1166-h656-no/20131119_202645.jpg

I think the BullDog looks fantastic combined with the E3D. So stay tuned for the mounting STL's once we know they definitely work - and for details on if the 5:1 massively helps with quality. Either way, its a massive improvement over the stock acrylic jigsaw and tension arm system.

Re: RepRapDiscount "Bulldog XL" Geared Metal Extruder on a Solidoodle 3!

I hope to have mine working tonight. Great job on yours! Looks perfect.

I will note that my current issues are from my threadless ballscrew sticking up too far and hitting the Y axis Jack shaft. The plate that Adrian is using works fine for a threaded rod Z axis solution. As you can see in his picture there is still some clearance between the nut holder and jack shaft.

The updated plate that I am making(made but untested) will replace the top panel of Lawsy's carriage. This should bring the height down and allow for stock hotends(maybe) and the E3D. I am hoping to have a plate that as Adrian pointed out will work with the stock carriage as well (it pretty much will now with minor alterations).

+1 to Adrian for his awesome work getting things posted up. Stay tuned for the mounting STL's and even an extruder fan duct! smile

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Bad pic - but this is a .1mm layer printed with a .6mm nozzle (i.e, inappropriate tongue) and uncalibrated and untuned - haven't even done steps-per-mm on the extruder.

Excuse the mobile pic... it almost makes it clear lol tongue
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JAqZc-KiFzA/UozkY2CwC8I/AAAAAAAAJRQ/_JqJYpjZXHc/w1166-h656-no/20131121_033228.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sk1Rb1-O6No/UozlJn0ZXYI/AAAAAAAAJR0/J0BvPAbVDH4/w813-h737-no/20131121_033635.jpg

better pics tomorrow

4 (edited by Stevos758 2013-11-20 16:54:41)

Your pics are telling me so far that I should get my credit card out..... NM Paypal... haha

So I need the bulldog XL for the E3D?

Just keep in mind there is the Lite version which is non-geared (so all metal version of same direct-drive setup as standard Solidoodle) and the XL version which has the 5.18:1 gearing (which is what smashes the moire effect particularly when combined with 1/32 stepping..). The XL version is pictured.

Either will work fine with the E3d - its just one has the ability to do 3mm filament and is geared (the XL).

I'll print some more serious models with a more appropriate nozzle tomorrow and get some decent pics up.

I'm sold already. I already have the 1/32 stepper driver. Off to check the bank account...

@adrian
Thank you for the post, i am happy to see it is working on solidoodle3 and that you managed to make it work with the E3D
The packing i've chosen that packing, because it is strong enough to resist in case fedex throw the parcel and to assure the extruder arrive in working condition to the buyers.

@all others
I seen after Adrian posts some of you ordered the LITE extruder (1.75mm filament only), this extruder i cannot ship so fast, maybe after 10 days from now because it is in production right now, however, my goal is to send out the perks BEFORE the indiegogo campaign ends

Just ordered the XL.

Let me know when you guys get the mount files posted or send me to the lings for the drawins so I can get working on my own.

This is going to be a sweet upgrade!

@adrian - Do you have a list of the parts and wire connectors you used to adapt to the E3D?

Will I now be able to use 3mm filament as well?

+1

10 (edited by adrian 2013-11-22 07:09:39)

@reprapdiscount Happy to post about good products I come across - so no need to thank me - Thank you! smile And about the packaging - Don't mistake what I said was negative at all - I really like the packaging and its very well suited to its purpose! I was more commenting on the novelty factor of recognizing its 'heritage' smile Well done on the extruder and the packaging! smile smile I really my experiences with it so far.

@Stevos758, pretty sure you'll be happy with the purchase smile
Mounts should be coming real soon - theres a couple of examples in the wild now so not far off at all wink

Now - easy one first.

Re 3mm - Yes you now have most of the infrastructure for 3mm - however you still need a 3mm compatible hotend such as a j-head etc. as most hotends have a specific-to-the-filament-size milled channel to the nozzle orifice. Some cheaper j-heads allow you to 'swap between' by using a small 1.8mm ID PTFE tube insert in '1.75mm' mode and you run without the tube for 3mm - these have their own issues with 1.75mm though depending on the origin of the hotend. So assuming you have a compatible hotend attached - no change is needed to anything else to do 3mm filament - the XL has a 3mm compatible channel setup and has sufficient torque to move it. I have a dodgy j-head that I will run in 3mm and have purchased a few more to play with as I figured you can never have enough spares and its easy enough to swap the hotend with this extruder.

Wiring wise - I will post a specific how-to and pics shortly into this thread. But its just a matter of somehow plugging the motor in replacement of the current motor or splicing it in its place. The Fan can likewise either have a replacement set of wires run to the same place as the existing stepper motor fan, or again use the OEM loom and just splice-in-replace it. All the other wiring is the standard stuff related to the hotend you use (so heater+thermistor basically).

Anyway - pics/how-to shortly

smile The packing I understood as novelty smile

The motor wiring can be found in the indiegogo campaign. About wiring of the fan, folks please take care the polarity otherwise you will burn your fan + is red and black is GND. I know it sounds strange but there are 2 customers burned their fans, please pay attention to that. The mount i will email to Adrian to post, I am not sure if my member status allow me to posts attachments yet, because I am new registered.

Some people ordered from indiegogo the lite version and would like to upgrade to XL, no problem, please contact me by PM.

Ordering mine next week!

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

Hi guys,

we just posted all available fan holders we got so far. If you are interested in those or make another one we woule be happy to find it in the same thread here: http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/threads … uder.1135/

Best Regards
RepRapDiscount

Got it! Now to wait for my XL...... : )

Just purchased mine
I couldn't wait a week lol

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

16 (edited by adrian 2013-11-24 12:47:07)

Can confirm it will cope with 1.75mm PLA just fine:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8RYVQlsQU04/UpHrEJ4oH3I/AAAAAAAAJgs/CBpgDBjlZw8/w415-h737-no/20131124_230125.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kuEn3krADtg/UpHyH1wTi3I/AAAAAAAAJhM/k7zJeR1NuIo/s512-no/20131124_233240.jpg

Yes that's cheesy glow-in-the-dark blue on top, and yes a successful colour change from the transparent PLA underneath smile

Also can report - STILL NO FAN ON THE E3D! smile
So the DC Blower fan so far continues to be more than enough

Hi, in case you are still waiting for the bulldog extruder from indiegogo, here is some information about shipping progress

Bulldog Lite: still needs one more week till it can be shipped, i am still waiting for one part

Bulldog XL: i will start ship them tomorrow

Sweet thanks for the update smile

YEsssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

Nice!  Looking forward to it as well! 

@reprapdiscount:  Do you typically email the shipping info when they go out?  Just curious.

Thanks again and can't wait.

SD3, Lawsy Carriages with GT2 belts on x axis, BLTouch, Bondtech BMG extruder, E3D v6 via bowden, MIC6 bed with 200W heater w/SSR relay and a RUMBA controller

mloebl wrote:

Nice!  Looking forward to it as well! 

@reprapdiscount:  Do you typically email the shipping info when they go out?  Just curious.

Thanks again and can't wait.

Unfortunately there is no place in Indiegogo to add any tracking number, but by mid of next week all perks from Indiegogo should be shipped.

The supplier delivered the wrong geared motors, i had to send them back, this caused the delay for shipping the XL Bulldogs.  My intention is to ship all out before indiegogo campaign even ends, because i hope the buyers like the extruder and will recommend to others.

today we shipped most of the indigogo orders to australia, uk and germany and until friday all remaining orders will be shipped

23 (edited by Stevos758 2013-12-06 14:22:16)

The anticipation is killing me! haha!

Adrian or 2n2r5. Any updates to the mounting plate?

Adrian - do you have a list of the connectors you used?

Any updates on prints?

Mounting options have been uploaded to http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4491/rep … ot-hotend/ that topic.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Stevos758 wrote:

The anticipation is killing me! haha!

Adrian or 2n2r5. Any updates to the mounting plate?

Adrian - do you have a list of the connectors you used?

Any updates on prints?

I printed yesterday one pretty big object with 3mm pla, with bulldog XL and RRD Hexagon hotend, when i made the movie the print run already 7 hours from the 14 hours estimated, sofar all okay, have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxLI2JRroS8