Re: RepRapDiscount "Bulldog XL" Geared Metal Extruder on a Solidoodle 3!

2n2r5 wrote:

Mounting options have been uploaded to http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4491/rep … ot-hotend/ that topic.

Can i download and post those also in the bulldog support forum?

Just ordered mine! Excited to get it, unfortunately I think my printer will be backed up for my move to alaska before I get to install it LOL

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.

reprapdiscount wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

Mounting options have been uploaded to http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4491/rep … ot-hotend/ that topic.

Can i download and post those also in the bulldog support forum?

Of course, feel free to use them. I may be making changes as feedback comes back. I will make sure to keep you updated so that you have the latest versions of everything.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

What wires go where on the bulldog? I used to have blue red green black.  the bulldog came with blue red yellow and brown???

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

30 (edited by adrian 2013-12-10 04:50:15)

SD Side  -> Bulldog Side
BLUE -> BLUE
RED -> YELLOW
GREEN -> RED
BLACK -> BLACK

Remember, solidoodle connect the extruder motor 'backwards' which means its not plugged in the same as all the other steppers... so if it behaves 'backwards', rotate the connector on the control board.

Pic that might help:
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=4115&download=0

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.27 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-12-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

31 (edited by wardjr 2013-12-10 05:03:41)

Thanks... now to change the steps/mm is 495 a good place to start?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Yup, on 1/16 microsteps.  For 1/32 you use 990

Mine should be here today! Hopefully get it on by the weekend.

Any more reports from you guys using them?

Looks like mine came in yesterday but I didn't sign for it since I was working

Guess I have to pick it up from the fedex shipment center today

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

Stevos758 wrote:

I will try and get mine up and printing tonight.  It is all mounted and I will say that if you are using the SD carriage and printing out 2N2R5's  bulldog_SD_topper.STL  You will find that it could be better but with some tweaking it is functional. 
I Only have to do wiring clean up and routing but it is on and it does function.  My main holdup has been E3d hot end wiring and connectors.
I am trying to leave my previous motor, fan, E3d and wires all in one so it is a plug and play replacement  if needed.

wardjr wrote:
Stevos758 wrote:

I will try and get mine up and printing tonight.  It is all mounted and I will say that if you are using the SD carriage and printing out 2N2R5's  bulldog_SD_topper.STL  You will find that it could be better but with some tweaking it is functional. 
I Only have to do wiring clean up and routing but it is on and it does function.  My main holdup has been E3d hot end wiring and connectors.
I am trying to leave my previous motor, fan, E3d and wires all in one so it is a plug and play replacement  if needed.

I made it very basic. I don't have the SD carriage handy to verify. I will dig through the plastic scrap and see if I put the old carriage in there. I will update if/when I find it.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:
wardjr wrote:
Stevos758 wrote:

I made it very basic. I don't have the SD carriage handy to verify. I will dig through the plastic scrap and see if I put the old carriage in there. I will update if/when I find it.

Don't worry about it to much most of the people that are using the bulldog are probably already using lawsy's carriage or are planning to switch soon.  If you want shoot me the .SKP and I can help since I have it installed and can measure direct.  Or feel free to bug me to measure for you.  A few simple tweaks and it would bolt right on and even be able to install the E3D fan.
Most of it is just a slight alignment issue it needs to move forward a couple mm's and over a couple mm's  (don't ask what way it's not in front of me at the moment).

Let me know if I can help

techbuilder2175 wrote:

Same, but I had the option to sign and they will leave it today hopefully.

39 (edited by techbuilder2175 2013-12-10 18:01:13)

Stevos758 wrote:
techbuilder2175 wrote:

Same, but I had the option to sign and they will leave it today hopefully.

I did to, forgot to sign it before I left to work hmm

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

40 (edited by adrian 2013-12-10 20:25:44)

wardjr wrote:

You don't install the e3d fan when using a bulldog... the blower fan does both j
Jobs just fine. This is across all materials I've tested so far, even PLA after weeks of use...

adrian wrote:
wardjr wrote:

You don't install the e3d fan when using a bulldog... the blower fan does both j
Jobs just fine. This is across all materials I've tested so far, even PLA after weeks of use...

I understand that and would agree but the mount needs to be tweaked and as a bonus or not you would then be able to put the fan on.  I only made the statement as a reference as to how things didn't line up just right. 
I most certainly appreciate all the work that has gone into the mounts and when I get a chance will probably make the minor changes myself.  Just to make it easier for the next person.
I took a photo but it really doesn't show what I am talking about
Oh and it's your turn to check your PM big_smile

Post's attachments

E3dSD.JPG
E3dSD.JPG 75 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

42 (edited by adrian 2013-12-10 20:44:09)

Putting the fan on the front is potentially worse, as you will have two air streams colliding ... not one stream moving across.... now if you took the time to flip them so it was push - pull arrangment, that would be ok. But just putting the standard setup fan back on will cause issues as the two streams fight...

Anyway... good work on the install! smile

adrian wrote:

Putting the fan on the front is potentially worse, as you will have two air streams colliding ... not one stream moving across....

Understood and I agree 100% and as you can see in my photo it isn't installed.  The bigger concerns are the tab for the end stop is off a couple mm's and the cooling fins on the E3d hit that same tab requiring me to melt some of the tab off.  Also the way it is now it would only have one bolt holding the motor down.  It also  needs a couple of nut recesses for in between the top and bottom plate.   All things I addressed  easily with the right tools but could just as easily be in the design.  I will get started on some changes right now and see what I can come up with.

Well it is up and running and doing a great job.
I have noticed that this thing has a much higher center of gravity.  With the SD carriage it seems to wobble a bit when it changes direction.  I am wondering if I can change a setting I think jerk or some acceleration setting maybe?
It seems to leave a small wave nothing to terrible but I like to print fast if I can.

Also made some changes for the Bulldog_SD_carriage_topper just waiting to finish up a print and I will print it out and check for fit.  If all is good I will post it.

What connectors are you using for the 4 stepper wires?

Actually just spliced onto one that I had laying around (Stripped from a computer) but that is a good question.  I would also like to know what they are and where to get the ones like you see in adrians photo above.

wardjr wrote:

Actually just spliced onto one that I had laying around (Stripped from a computer) but that is a good question.  I would also like to know what they are and where to get the ones like you see in adrians photo above.

You can get the connectors from Pololu and the Male/Female inserts http://www.pololu.com/category/70/crimp … r-housings  I use these all the time to make wiring harnesses for quick disconnects

They have every combination possible but to use like Adrian you would need 4 x 1, they even sell the pre crimped wires so you can just insert into the connector you want.

Which connectors you mean? Can you post a picture?

49 (edited by wardjr 2013-12-14 17:12:44)

Just wanted to post a revised mount for the Bulldog XL using the SD Carriage.
I wanted to get the center of gravity a little lower as the Bulldog is heavier.
Just print it solid without support and a good brim.  It is supposed to print on edge so I designed in some support.  Just remove the lines where the fan sits and the thin wall where the fan vents towards the hot end.
This is and update of the last one I put on here and is much more user friendly.
Happy Printing

Post's attachments

Bulldog_SD_Carriage.JPG
Bulldog_SD_Carriage.JPG 123.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

bulldog_SD_E3D_rev9.stl 60.92 kb, 28 downloads since 2013-12-14 

50 (edited by Stevos758 2013-12-12 14:29:36)

rjp350z wrote:
wardjr wrote:

You can get the connectors from Pololu and the Male/Female inserts http://www.pololu.com/category/70/crimp … r-housings  I use these all the time to make wiring harnesses for quick disconnects

They have every combination possible but to use like Adrian you would need 4 x 1, they even sell the pre crimped wires so you can just insert into the connector you want.

Thanks! I just ordered a bunch of these connectors.

They have the red JST connectors as well.

I'll get some pics when I get them mounted.