1 (edited by ryan-mm85 2013-11-10 00:10:30)

Topic: suport material

how do I get repetier-host v0.85b to do just support material on 90* overhangs and not on circles?

this picture the small cylinder to the left perimeter needs to be supported
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx60/thetoolishere/3D%20print%20shop/stl1_zps4a7f13ff.png
this pic shows a top view and I do NOT want support material created.
the program reads an angle inside that is roughly 40* and wants to build support for it but I don't need it to.
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx60/thetoolishere/3D%20print%20shop/stl2_zps5d85b686.png

any ideas?

Re: suport material

As far as I know, Slic3r (runs within repetier) has a broken support system, which eliminates user control over the threshold angle to generate supports.  It might be fixed in the dev version, however that could bring along other issues.  Try using KISSlicer.  There are threads here on the fourms describing how to use it.  I would highly recommend it.

Support in Repetier .85b is broken.  Read this post:
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4448/sli … threshold/

4 (edited by ryan-mm85 2013-11-10 04:00:34)

COASTER19 wrote:

As far as I know, Slic3r (runs within repetier) has a broken support system, which eliminates user control over the threshold angle to generate supports.  It might be fixed in the dev version, however that could bring along other issues.  Try using KISSlicer.  There are threads here on the fourms describing how to use it.  I would highly recommend it.

how do I implement this kisslicer?
and where do I get information on how to use it?
how do I use it with my solidoodle3
it looks very confusing, and it looks as iff I cant rotate on the z axis.

little guidance I think I can figure it out.
there website isn't much help.

5 (edited by adrian 2013-11-10 03:38:19)

Check this thread for files and directions. Otherwise just reference the KISSlicer FAQ's.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2631/kis … 2mm-layer/

ne14pez wrote:

Broken isn't quite accurate. It works, its just the angle overhang doesn't work as expected - so its all support or no support. "Sub-optimal" is a better description wink

adrian wrote:

Check this thread for files and directions. Otherwise just reference the KISSlicer FAQ's.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2631/kis … 2mm-layer/

ne14pez wrote:

Broken isn't quite accurate. It works, its just the angle overhang doesn't work as expected - so its all support or no support. "Sub-optimal" is a better description wink

so what do I use to have support where I need it?

I have KISSlicer downloaded, but im not sure what to do with it,
is there another program that I need to insert KISSlicer into for my part to print?

oh I forgot to say I have a Solidoodle3

thankyou for any help on getting me back to printing parts.

thankyou,
Ryan M.

kisslicer is like slic3r, just not in Reptier host. So you slice it and save a gcode file. Then you open the gcode file in RH and print as usual.

8 (edited by ryan-mm85 2013-11-10 04:49:12)

where do I get that g code?
I know very stupid question.
is it under the ptr g-code tab?

when I save the g-code, what do I copy into the g-code editor?

In kisslicer you hit the slice button. then the slice button will turn into a save button. When you save, thats your gcode. Just use the load button in RH to get it in.

muddtt wrote:

In kisslicer you hit the slice button. then the slice button will turn into a save button. When you save, thats your gcode. Just use the load button in RH to get it in.

I did that and hit run job and nothing happens.

any ideas?

thankyou,
Ryan M.

One other simple solution is to add some support yourself, from the looks of the object you are trying to print would seem simple enough with a couple of extruded rectangles...I believe someone had a thread or two on easy ways to do this right here on this forum.... maybe pirvan or ysb ??? can't remember it's late... I'm tired smile

Well, you have to configure kisslicer with all the right options. If you search some people have posted their settings for kisslicer and solidoodle. This might help you get a good start.

I guess in some ways its a pain to figure it all out, but once you understand kisslicer a bit, its very similar to slic3r, but is much faster and a lot if times gives you better prints.

I use an sd2, so i'd offer to slice it for you, but i dont know if it work for you. If its your design you could just add your own support in whatever cad or design software you used.

ronsii wrote:

One other simple solution is to add some support yourself, from the looks of the object you are trying to print would seem simple enough with a couple of extruded rectangles...I believe someone had a thread or two on easy ways to do this right here on this forum.... maybe pirvan or ysb ??? can't remember it's late... I'm tired smile

there is no reason when there is software out there to have to build your own support. but that is just my opinion.

14 (edited by ryan-mm85 2013-11-10 05:39:49)

muddtt wrote:

Well, you have to configure kisslicer with all the right options. If you search some people have posted their settings for kisslicer and solidoodle. This might help you get a good start.

I guess in some ways its a pain to figure it all out, but once you understand kisslicer a bit, its very similar to slic3r, but is much faster and a lot if times gives you better prints.

I use an sd2, so i'd offer to slice it for you, but i dont know if it work for you. If its your design you could just add your own support in whatever cad or design software you used.

what types of options do I need to configure to get on the right track?

so the reason it didn't print when I loaded the g-code is from me not getting the configurations correct?

do I have to input into kisslicer that im using a solidoodle3? because it dosnt look like it automatically recognizes it.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/348/kisslicer/

You can try starting here and copying these settings. Yea it won't auto recognize the solidoodle.

16 (edited by muddtt 2013-11-10 06:31:36)

Here's a video showing one guys experience with slic3r vs kisslicer (different printer but same idea). It is a little bit dated with older versions, and a little boring, but this is to give you a little light at the end of the tunnel toward what you're working toward by learning kisslicer. I have the same experience getting better prints out off kiss. 

muddtt wrote:

Here's a video showing one guys experience with slic3r vs kisslicer (different printer but same idea). It is a little bit dated with older versions, and a little boring, but this is to give you a little light at the end of the tunnel toward what you're working toward by learning kisslicer. I have the same experience getting better prints out off kiss. 

yeah watch it, and many other.

thankyou for the input.

please keep it coming.

do I need to have the registered version of kisslicer to modify the settings and the names settings?
like it wont let me change the name of the samples.

iv gota be missing something simple here.
I just cant see it.

just hit "copy material" or "copy style" button on lower right, then rename.

muddtt wrote:

just hit "copy material" or "copy style" button on lower right, then rename.

wow I am pretty dumb.

thankyou,
im having trouble with this kinda stuff.
im not tooo good with code stuff or technical things like this when it comes to prgrams.
but I can cad the crap outa something.

thankyou ill see what I can get setup.

muddtt wrote:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/348/kisslicer/

You can try starting here and copying these settings. Yea it won't auto recognize the solidoodle.

SO...... I copied the settings exactly from this thread for kisslicer.

went and sliced a test piece,
saved the g-code,
loaded the g-code into repetier host,
and when I started the job,

"as if you where look from the top down into the solidoodle3"
the extruder traveled to the lower left corner and did not want to stop.

im super new at this and really have no idea what the g-code says,
or know how these programs operate.

the reason the machine "bottomed/ traveled out" is probably simple but I have know idea what im looking for.

please help.

thankyou,
Ryan M

What do you have for the gcode prefix in kisslicer?

23 (edited by ryan-mm85 2013-11-11 04:00:18)

G1 X-82 Y-76 F3000
G28 Z
G90
G92 X0 Y0 Z0 E0

pretty sure that's wrong

I don't know what g-code says

I have and 8"X8"X8" build platform with the solidoodle 3

You could try this guys from the thread. He has an sd3 also.

M107
G21; set mm units
G28 ;home all axis
G90; set absolute coordinates
G92 E0; reset extruder distance
M104 S200; set extruder temp and start heating
G1 Z5 F300 ;move platform down 5mm
G1 X195 Y195 F3000 ; move to back right corner
M109 S200; wait for extruder temp to be reached
G1 Z.3000 F200 ;move platform close to nozzle
;G1 E7; extrude anchor
G1 F3000; center print head
G92 E0; reset extrusion distance
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G92 E0
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G1 F4500.000 E-1.00000
G92 E0

the semi colons break so the comments are not considered correct?