Topic: Slic3r Support Angle Threshold

Has anyone figured out how to get this to work yet?  I've seen several threads on this topic, but I haven't seen a solution yet.  Just to review, the problem is that any # between 0-90 degrees generates support everywhere and not just under overhangs above the specified angle.

Re: Slic3r Support Angle Threshold

I have never had this problem.  Make sure you dont have "Enforce support for first X layers" checked off.

what version of repetier host and Slic3r are you using?  I have tried this on mac 0.56 as well as windows 0.90c and both have the same problem.  My Slic3r version is 0.9.10b.  Regardless of the angle I put in, it generates support everywhere.  The problem is documented in several forum topics including http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3613/let … -material/

4 (edited by Tomek 2013-11-05 01:54:51)

I have problems too. I have always had problems with Slic3r support. I tend to avoid using it these days. Subscribing to this post in case anyone has an answer.

With some experimenting I've been able to get some working support, although not ideal.  If I set the angle to 120 degrees and use rectilinear grid at 1 to 2 mm spacing, it will create support under the 90 degree parts of my print (but nothing less).  Also, the support is a stringy mess that doesn't resemble rectilinear grid at all.  I don't care as long as it holds up the parts when I need it.  For me, this is sufficient…for now.

If anyone reading this is able to get support at the correct angles, please share your versions and settings.  Thank you.

6 (edited by pirvan 2013-11-05 03:02:19)

I brought this up before, and eventually ended up posting this issue on the Slic3r GitHub.  The developer's response was that "yes we know it's broken as of v.0.9.10, and it will be fixed in the next revision", at the time slated to be 0.9.11.

The options were to clone the GitHub repository and run it from there, or wait until he releases the binaries.  That was about 3 months ago.  IN the last week or so, progress on the next version has accelerated and it appears that the next version of Sli3er will be 1.0.0RC1, no more 0.9.11.

AS of right now, the completion percentage sits at 89%, and there's still no due date for the release.

It has been suggested that I revert to a previous version if I wanted functional support, but I tried 0.9.9, as well as 0.9.8 and they all have the same problem.

So for the moment, I'm using it as is and waiting for the update.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Thanks for the update pirvan.  I guess we will all have to just sit tight for a while.

pirvan wrote:

Do you want me to post up my latest compiled version? I can dish up a CirtusPerl/x64 version for windows if you want... can bundle it with RepetierHost V0.90D which has 3DSMax support and axis-compasses and a hell of an improved STL repair and analyses system.

I'm not signing up to support a development version - But I'm happy to make my 'nightlys' available....

adrian wrote:
pirvan wrote:

Do you want me to post up my latest compiled version? I can dish up a CirtusPerl/x64 version for windows if you want... can bundle it with RepetierHost V0.90D which has 3DSMax support and axis-compasses and a hell of an improved STL repair and analyses system.

I'm not signing up to support a development version - But I'm happy to make my 'nightlys' available....

Yes, that would be very helpful!  I'm pretty sure I can figure it out, but how difficult would your compiled version to install?

10 (edited by adrian 2013-11-05 14:27:55)

Well, I just generally use it as a perl executable, as I have a perl environment installed. Give me a day though and I'll build the latest into a .exe .

Attached here is the last build I did of new repetier, which is from september - i for laughs added solidoodle and soliforum to the help menu. I'll update this again when I rebuild slic3r.exe .

To use this version of repetier,
A) Unzip to a new directory anywhere, even c:\repetierhost and just run the RepetierHost.exe from this directory and create a shortcut on yourdesktop. This will allow running both versions of repetier host side-by-side. In RH under the slic3r menu, click "setup" and point to slic3r in your other RH directory
B) backup your current repetier host \program files\repetier-host directory and replace the binaries AND data directories with the contents of the zip file.

I will build a current slic3r.exe and post that tomorrow.

And yes I know its slic3r that does the support... but I use the new slic3r with the new repetier so I figured everyone else will probably want to do the same. This repetier is quite stable - I've used it daily (on Win8 / Win8.1 x64) since I did my last build 9/9/13 (which is the attached zip file)

Post's attachments

RepetierHost-v0.91dev.zip 1.99 mb, 8 downloads since 2013-11-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

adrian wrote:

Well, I just generally use it as a perl executable, as I have a perl environment installed. Give me a day though and I'll build the latest into a .exe .

Attached here is the last build I did of new repetier, which is from september - i for laughs added solidoodle and soliforum to the help menu. I'll update this again when I rebuild slic3r.exe .

To use this version of repetier,
A) Unzip to a new directory anywhere, even c:\repetierhost and just run the RepetierHost.exe from this directory and create a shortcut on yourdesktop. This will allow running both versions of repetier host side-by-side. In RH under the slic3r menu, click "setup" and point to slic3r in your other RH directory
B) backup your current repetier host \program files\repetier-host directory and replace the binaries AND data directories with the contents of the zip file.

I will build a current slic3r.exe and post that tomorrow.

And yes I know its slic3r that does the support... but I use the new slic3r with the new repetier so I figured everyone else will probably want to do the same. This repetier is quite stable - I've used it daily (on Win8 / Win8.1 x64) since I did my last build 9/9/13 (which is the attached zip file)

Thanks Adrain, this is much appreciated by me and I'm sure by the many users, which like me, that would like to try this but don't have the knowledge on how to compile the source into an executable.

smile smile

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Yes, much thanks for doing this!

13 (edited by adrian 2013-11-14 22:20:50)

More soon. Was waiting on a patch upstream.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ieez … WYxek5UWUk

Its an entire dev environment thats portable I've setup.. teach a man to fish and all that wink

Repetier-Host-0.90D (same as attached above, for reference for me later .. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ieez … WROemVTTm8 )