76 (edited by elmoret 2014-03-19 20:28:38)

Re: E3D All-Metal Hotends - US Distributor

Richrap's hot end review is out!

http://reprapmagazine.com/issues/3/

To celebrate, I'm offering free domestic shipping on the E3D until the end of the week using coupon code "E3DFreeShip". Enjoy!

Now with free Haribo candy with every hot end purchase!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1786359/image-1.jpeg

Oh!!!  the enticement is almost too much....I may have to buy more printers just so I can buy E3D's for them wink

elmoret wrote:

Now with free Haribo candy with every hot end purchase!

Oh shibby! Did my order get some before it shipped?

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Haribo bears! My favorite! If only I waited another week before getting fed up with my stock hot end.

BTW, LOVE my E3D.. All weekend I switched between ABS, PLA, and Nylon without issues.

renee wrote:

Haribo bears! My favorite! If only I waited another week before getting fed up with my stock hot end.

BTW, LOVE my E3D.. All weekend I switched between ABS, PLA, and Nylon without issues.

Isn't it nice to not have to worry about your hot end any more smile  Makes you wonder how you got by before.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Twice now I have accidentally set my hot end to 1500 when I meant to drop it to 150 while waiting for the next print to be ready.  It ran the PLA up to 350 before hitting the safety shutoff.  No big deal, just run the extruder for about 50mm and then start the next print, no jamming or anything.

That might be easier with PLA than ABS however, the overheated liquid PLA will drip out of the nozzle leaving nothing behind to cook.

IanJohnson wrote:

Twice now I have accidentally set my hot end to 1500 when I meant to drop it to 150 while waiting for the next print to be ready.  It ran the PLA up to 350 before hitting the safety shutoff.  No big deal, just run the extruder for about 50mm and then start the next print, no jamming or anything.

That might be easier with PLA than ABS however, the overheated liquid PLA will drip out of the nozzle leaving nothing behind to cook.

I haven't made that mistake yet.  But, I have been known to leave it on at 250 for extended periods of time with ABS.  I have never had a problem and even if I had it only takes a second to pull the nozzle off.  I did plug one up with some very old and dirty filament that was full of moisture.  It took less than 5 minutes to pull the nozzle off and clear things up.  You can't do that with a stock hot end.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I see you stayed away from the sugarless variety. Have a look at the amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bear … B000EVQWKC

I was laughing for hours.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Hazer wrote:

I see you stayed away from the sugarless variety. Have a look at the amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bear … B000EVQWKC

I was laughing for hours.

LOL

I see what you  mean smile That's hilarious!!! now everybodys looking at me wondering just what is so funny.

Hey Elmoret,
Wondering if you know how long the shipping usually takes to lob in Oz?

Jonesing for those haribo's!

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Is there some sort of step by step guide to installing the E3D on a Solidoodle (2 with the heated bed)? How to put together? I am considering a E3D but I have no idea how I would install it.

I already noticed:

- I would need a longer m3 bolt, that isn't too bad.
- I already got rid of that awful jigsaw after the second time I needed to clear a clog. I assume I would need to find a download a new on to hold the hot end.
- I would have to up my temperatures by about 20 degrees.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Serin wrote:

Hey Elmoret,
Wondering if you know how long the shipping usually takes to lob in Oz?

Jonesing for those haribo's!

Just saw this. 2-3 weeks via First Class International, 1 week via Priority Mail International.

LdyMox wrote:

Is there some sort of step by step guide to installing the E3D on a Solidoodle (2 with the heated bed)? How to put together? I am considering a E3D but I have no idea how I would install it.

I already noticed:

- I already got rid of that awful jigsaw after the second time I needed to clear a clog. I assume I would need to find a download a new on to hold the hot end.

Yup, in the wiki. Also you don't need a longer M3, you can flip the one you have.

LdyMox wrote:

I already noticed:

You don't even need a longer bolt just put the stock one in upside down.  If you replaced the jigsaw with the MK-5 than you can use that.  You may need to wrap some tape around the top of the E3D to take up the play in the J-mount.
The firmware change for max temp is the only real challenge and there are plenty of us here to help you through the process.
http://www.soliwiki.com/E3D_extruder

Whats the difference between the bowden and other version?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Bowden connects the hot end and the extruder motor by a 2-3 foot long PTFE tube. This is ideal for delta printers.

If you're using a Solidoodle, you want a 1.75mm direct.

93 (edited by LdyMox 2014-05-14 16:13:24)

Thanks,

Does this hot end give better quality prints then the stock hot end?

Does it do any better with flexible filament such as Flexible PLA?

Do the Solidoodle brass nozzles fit on it? I have the stock .4 but also a lil bit bigger one for Laywood.

I can see the benefit of having an all metal hot end mainly because I had 3 clogs with the stock hot end last night and the plastic PEEK made it MUCH harder to clean it out. In the end I had to drill out the stuck filament.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

Thanks,

Does this hot end give better quality prints then the stock hot end?   Yes

Does it do any better with flexible filament such as Flexible PLA?   Yes

Do the Solidoodle brass nozzles fit on it? I have the stock .4 but also a lil bit bigger one for Laywood.  I don't know but I'd doubt it.  Good news filastruder sells different sizes for the E3D and they are cheap.

I can see the benefit of having an all metal hot end mainly because I had 3 clogs with the stock hot end last night and the plastic PEEK made it MUCH harder to clean it out. In the end I had to drill out the stuck filament.

It will be a very long time if ever that you need to clean out any clogs on an E3D.

95 (edited by LdyMox 2014-05-14 17:09:28)

Thanks.

Ok, I see it comes with a default .25mm nozzle, while my stock SD2 comes with a .4mm nozzle. How will this change my Slic3r settings(besides the temp change)? I normally print in PLA 1.5mm or 2.0mm. From the other responses in this thread it sounds like you have to print slower with a smaller nozzle. Can someone explain?

My stock one has been jamming up and I'm considering getting a new one, and if I am getting a new one for the second time; I am thinking the e3D maybe the way to go.

Also is there any soldering involved with the install? Or is is nothing worst then having to assemble the parts?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

Does this hot end give better quality prints then the stock hot end?

Yes. Many examples here on the forum.

LdyMox wrote:

Does it do any better with flexible filament such as Flexible PLA?

It should have reduced back pressure as compared to a Solidoodle hot end, so yes.

LdyMox wrote:

Do the Solidoodle brass nozzles fit on it? I have the stock .4 but also a lil bit bigger one for Laywood.

No. This should be obvious from the fact that SD nozzles have female thread, E3D nozzles have male thread.

LdyMox wrote:

Ok, I see it comes with a default .25mm nozzle, while my stock SD2 comes with a .4mm nozzle.

What? Where did you see this? I have a feeling you misread.

LdyMox wrote:

How will this change my Slic3r settings(besides the temp change)?

It won't, as long as nozzle size is the same.

LdyMox wrote:

I normally print in PLA 1.5mm or 2.0mm.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

LdyMox wrote:

From the other responses in this thread it sounds like you have to print slower with a smaller nozzle. Can someone explain?

Smaller hole = plastic no flow easy.

LdyMox wrote:

Also is there any soldering involved with the install? Or is is nothing worst then having to assemble the parts?

Not if you reuse the thermistor from your SD hot end. If you use the E3D's thermistor, you'll have to solder the high temp wire to either a connector that attaches where the SD thermistor used to attach to, or all the way to the main board.

elmoret wrote:
LdyMox wrote:

Not if you reuse the thermistor from your SD hot end. If you use the E3D's thermistor, you'll have to solder the high temp wire to either a connector that attaches where the SD thermistor used to attach to, or all the way to the main board.

I found these connectors (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electro … /202527175) to be the easiest. They are cheap, easy to find, very simple to toss on, and great for the potential desire to change wires and whatnot. The stock SD connectors are a pain. These are perfect connectors if you are still getting familiar with 3D printing like myself.

And to back Tim up on a few points:
-ABS and PLA prints are far better with the E3D. My PLA results are drasticly better.
-I print .2mm 98% of the time, the other 2% is .1mm and everything runs well.
-I believe Laywoo needs a .6mm nozzle. But correct me if I am wrong on that.

You have to try pretty hard for some time to clog your E3D. I had 5 clogs a week and 2 in one day with my stock SD hotend, finally took wardjr's advice and it stood up to the possitive reviews. I had ONE clog on my E3D....but that was entirely due to operator error smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Ok, must have misread the nozzle size. I am still a lil new at this, I got my Solidoodle 2 last year; But I am tech competent but I have only made basic mods to my SD2 like the glass bed, Mk5, and a backlash nut. I could probably handle ligth soldering

Hmmm seems like this has a fan for the extruder, while mine only has one in the back of the block that holds the extruder(stock Sd2). I need to poke around these boards and find threads on attaching this to the Sd2 including this hotend fan.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

AZERATE, How many of those connectors would I need?

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

Hmmm seems like this has a fan for the extruder, while mine only has one in the back of the block that holds the extruder(stock Sd2). I need to poke around these boards and find threads on attaching this to the Sd2 including this hotend fan.

Just wire it in parallel with the existing extruder fan.