Re: Beltless Drive X-Y Axis (Level 2 - Techie)

muddtt wrote:

I suppose an update for anyone that would like to know. Ive been running this setup for awhile now and it has been pretty flawless. After the line breaks in a little and its tightened after a couple of uses I haven't had to touch it. For setting mine up I've noticed that the tension on the left side seems more important to get tight than on the right. Maybe cause there is more mass or the bearings are on that side. Whatever the case I'm quite happy.

Any chance you have a picture of the actual line you used up close.  I picked some up locally but couldn't find Spectra brand.  I am skeptical but it's rated at 80 Lbs.  It is about the diameter of dental floss and seems to thin.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100M-1000M-Moss … 3a87b2299c

This is it. I think I probably used a different eBay vendor, but its all made in china. If you want I can mail you some in an envelope for postage cost. I have so much left over and nothing to do with it.

79 (edited by RTRyder 2014-01-28 19:22:53)

Quite a bit more $ than buying from China but if you want to use a USA based reseller I got mine here... http://www.ebay.com/itm/350252467175?ss … 1497.l2649

My 3DR Delta uses Spectra instead of belts and as noted once it gets past the initial stretching and you take up the slack it pretty much stays that way. That said I still prefer GT2 pulleys and belts, they seem to be a bit more precise IMO, or at least I've yet to be able to duplicate the outstanding print quality of my GT2 upgraded SD3 on the Delta machine. The GT2 upgrade is however considerably more $$$ than a roll of Spectra...

muddtt wrote:

This is it. I think I probably used a different eBay vendor, but its all made in china. If you want I can mail you some in an envelope for postage cost. I have so much left over and nothing to do with it.

That would be great... How would you suggest I send you .49 cents for postage?
I would buy a spool but I don't fish so same problem what would I do with the left over.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

Just pm me with your address. You use paypal?

muddtt wrote:

Just pm me with your address. You use paypal?

Done check your PM

So I upgraded, and I wanted to note I had to change my steps/mm on x and y to 91 (maybe 92, I'm testing a print atm), where they were 88 before. 4% change. I kept the same pulleys of course (or else this would not be noteworthy.)

I am not certain what may have caused this [a couple undecided thoughts.]  But it seems otherwise like a beautiful upgrade. It astounds me how functional a few wraps are. It was a bit of a pain to string the first time, though. I strung the y axis the wrong' way (upside down) and found the second time it was much faster to restring.

Tomek wrote:

So I upgraded, and I wanted to note I had to change my steps/mm on x and y to 91 (maybe 92, I'm testing a print atm), where they were 88 before. 4% change. I kept the same pulleys of course (or else this would not be noteworthy.)

I am not certain what may have caused this [a couple undecided thoughts.]  But it seems otherwise like a beautiful upgrade. It astounds me how functional a few wraps are. It was a bit of a pain to string the first time, though. I strung the y axis the wrong' way (upside down) and found the second time it was much faster to restring.

That is very interesting and I am curious about your "undecided thoughts".  Also worth mention is that I have had much better results with Sufix brand digital braid vs. Spectra line.  As in hundreds of more hours of print time.  The Spectra line seemed to stretch and needed constant tightening. I have never had to re tighten the Sufix brand and it is easier to string as it seems stiffer.

Hi Ward,

I suspect the Estep info was wrong. I should not have changed it. I thought I had to change because I was doing nickel tests and i've always had my interior holes to be smaller than they're supposed to be.  This even includes the rectangular holes in that test. I scaled to make that test work, but eventually had to scale down again because I care more about exterior diameters. I am right now somewhere close to the original 88 steps that it had. I think maybe at 89, and that could be that I was always off calibration, perhaps.

Hmm, I hope my spectra doesnt stretch more more. I am running out of tightening room. I also am not certain how tight I should have it and might have gone a bit overboard (but at least I have bearings everywhere so the load is not a problem.)

In the future I'll use a nicer type of attachment for the spectra lines. I ended up looking my adjustable printed spectra line pieces, and used some special cone type m3 washers. Sorry that's a little vague.

Do you know the pound strength of your original spectra? it varies. I actually have possibly off-brand spectra, the line that robotdigg sells.

I also have more Z-wobble than I've had in the past. but unfortunately its hard to isolate the source since I made many changes at once. I upgraded to a M6 1mm pitch rod which is about 40% finer pitch than the stock setup.  However it could also be overshoot or stretch, and not Z-wobble. I'm still working that out.

You really shouldnt assume E-steps will be the same as someone elses or as they were before.  It is always good practice to get out a dial indicator and calibrate.

timp610 wrote:

You really shouldnt assume E-steps will be the same as someone elses or as they were before.  It is always good practice to get out a dial indicator and calibrate.

hmm yeah I need to get a dial indicator. One investment I haven't made yet. Plenty of calipers, no dial indicator though. So i have to calibrate with printing objects.

That said, I think assuming the e-steps would stay the same is a fairly reasonable assumption. What has changes? The same pulleys are being used.

I also am a big believer in calibration and I am happy to hear that your steps/mm are closer than you originally posted.  That was a pretty big jump so that is why I was curious.  I was thinking the same thing about what had changed, same pulley should yield the same steps regardless of belt type.  I think a dial indicator is nice but you can't replace actual results with a dial indicator.  There is nothing wrong or less accurate with the way your measuring.   
As far as how tight... I run mine banjo string tight and have virtually no backlash  so I wouldn't worry about that.  Just make sure your x-axis motor mount is up to the task.

Pulleys are based upon diameter. In this case, you have to look at the interface of the belt/line with the pulley. The line has a much smaller thickness so interfaces almost directly with the teeth of the pulley. That is the diameter to determine linear translation. The belt is much thicker. But in this case, the belt sinks into the pulley teeth. Most belts used for linear motion have a re-inforced section that does not stretch, this is usually some cord material. Where this corded layer is in the belt is the how you determine the diameter interface to the pulley. In our case, the difference between the belts corded layer and using spectra line is almost the same and should be negligible.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

90 (edited by grob 2014-06-27 07:08:44)

Measure the diameter of the pulley teeth (tooth-tooth), call that D.
Measure the diameter of the spectra line, call that d.
Assuming you have a 1.8 degree stepper on a 16x microstep driver, steps per mm should be about 3200/(Pi*(d+D)) I think. If you get close to the value you're calibrating right now, then you've done well (and I've got my maths right...). smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

91 (edited by Tomek 2014-06-27 15:12:03)

d of spectra might be thinner than what you measure freestanding, because on the pulley it's quite tight and a bit compressed (since it wraps around the pulley). It might not make a difference. I'm going to go measure it to see if I can get anything meaningful. Unfortunately I don't have a micrometer, just calipers.

How do you tighten the fishing line to the default pulleys?

Solidoodle 4

93 (edited by wardjr 2014-11-17 15:52:19)

redbarret wrote:

How do you tighten the fishing line to the default pulleys?

Fishing line has been typically used with Lawsy's carriages and those had bolts that were used for the adjustment right on the carriage.  Just tie the line to the bolt head and tighten.  If you have an SD4 and want to use the existing carriages you will have to get creative as to how to attach the line to the carriage.  Then just use the front idler adjustments to tighten the line.

Solidoodle 4 also has bolts on the carriages which could be used. There is one on the top of both sides of the carriage and sandwiches the continuous belt between two 3d printed parts.

But my question was not how to tighten the fishing lines to the carriage, but how to tighten them on the pulleys.
Seems like they will just slide if not secured on the pulleys somehow.

Solidoodle 4

Oh, 3 wraps around the drive pulley and it won't slip

96 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-17 22:59:38)

Oh, that simple? Sounds weird that it won't slip, but I'll try it. Thanks.

( 3 "full" wraps, right? )

Solidoodle 4

Yep that simple but it needs to be tight.

98 (edited by redbarret 2014-11-19 21:32:40)

Yeah, I tried today by replacing the left y belt. 4 loops are enough to move the pulleys.
Tried on Solidoodle 4's carriage. Will post a photo of how I did it.

Two questions:
1) Will the fishing lines wear off or somehow damage the nylon pulley teeth if used for a long period of time?
2) How do I replace the closed loop Y motor belt with fishing lines as well?

Right now the lines on the pulleys move left and right together as the carriage is moved back and fort.

Solidoodle 4

I have not had any noticeable wear on the pulleys and yes the line does float side to side on the pulleys a little bit.
If you are going to use the existing carriage you will have to figure a way to attach the line to the carriage on each side.  Maybe you could drill a hole in the carriage somewhere and put a bolt through it or a screw into it.  I just don't know without having one it front of me but I would guess there is a way.

yeah its like navy Capstan post winches for hundreds of years. and thats why the navy winches are shaped that way also. so pulleys may work better if shaped the same

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs