26 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-10-15 17:50:54)

Re: Beltless Drive X-Y Axis (Level 2 - Techie)

muddtt wrote:

Any updates on how this has been working for you? Has anyne else done this fishing line mod yet? How has it been working out for you?

I'm wondering if its better to go this route or gt2 belts.

I have been using the original pulleys and have no issues. I still have not replaced the closed drive belt on the y motor. Ian has though I think he had some issues with it. Overall everything had functioned beautifully. The low amount of stretch and high surface area seems to help with backlash. I haven't measured backlash on the system. Ian mentioned that he is getting 0.03mm backlash on the X and ~.07 I think it was on the Y. All things concidered, this is a nice easy upgrade. The wrapping of the pulleys can get a bit frustrating as can the tying of knots. It took me a couple tries to get a system down that gave me enough slack to get the screws in but not so much that I couldn't lose it when tightening it down. I'm not sure if this is a mod that should be done just for the sake of doing it. If you are getting good prints now then stick with what you have. Ian pointed out that this gave him pretty much the same as the best results that he acheived with the belts. I can say without question that I have seen about the same thing. If it's a choice between this and gt2 setup then for me this would be an easy choice. It cost me ~$35 for this setup where gt2 would be closer to $100 when it's all said and done.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Thank you. That was very helpful.  I ordered some spectra line on ebay for real cheap. I'll just keep it on hand in case something catastrophic happens to one of my belts or it's a really rainy weekend with nothing else to do.

One thing I'm finding, at least with the Y motor loop is it works better with less wraps up to a point.  It seems like they need some room to run back and forth, and if you make too many wraps, they are more likely to overlap each other and bind up.  I had really low Y backlash, but I ended up with a lot of tension as well, because my loop ended up barely long enough to get the last wrap on.  I accidentally crashed the Y axis in the front and the motor broke the pulley.   When I tried to redo the loop I couldn't keep the wraps from overlapping because I had too many.  I haven't gotten back to it with a shorter line yet.  I'm hoping that the low backlash remains with less tension.  I think it might, since there aren't any teeth.  The line I have replacing the other belts seems to be working ok. 

For tying the ends of the line together to make the loop, I used a Fisherman's knot - http://howset.com/animated_show/how-to- … l3S92TF1hJ

It is entirely possibly my brain isn't thinking about this right (it sometimes happens :-), but do you really need a loop tied in the line? It only goes back and forth, not round and round. If you are printing pulleys for the line to go around, couldn't you provide a hole or slot of some kind in the pulley to tie off each end of the line?

Claghorn wrote:

It is entirely possibly my brain isn't thinking about this right (it sometimes happens :-), but do you really need a loop tied in the line? It only goes back and forth, not round and round. If you are printing pulleys for the line to go around, couldn't you provide a hole or slot of some kind in the pulley to tie off each end of the line?

I am sure that is possible, you would just need to have enough room on the pulley to hold enough line for the entire length of travel so that it doesn't double over on itself. I think you would need 2 holes. One at each end of the pulley then wind toward the center of the pulley. That way the filament always winds toward the receding side. You should try it and let us know how it goes. smile

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

X Belt done. Tip: Used a little electrical tape to wrap the right side easily.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1492/xoj7.jpg

muddtt wrote:

X Belt done. Tip: Used a little electrical tape to wrap the right side easily.

Nice job. Looks great. I should have uploaded this before but I am still in the testing phase of this. Here is a new platform for lawsy's carriage that uses a clamp system to hold onto the spectraline.

Post's attachments

lawsy_carriage_2n2r5_carriage_bolt_on_belt_grab.stl 962.26 kb, 79 downloads since 2013-11-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 w/ mods:

I'm still using the old carriage. Tied the fishing line to the washer and then put that on the screw. Think it made it a little easier to control the length. I know this might be hard to answer, but how tight did you have the line?

muddtt wrote:

I'm still using the old carriage. Tied the fishing line to the washer and then put that on the screw. Think it made it a little easier to control the length. I know this might be hard to answer, but how tight did you have the line?

That is how I did it at first also with the washers on the bolts. I tightened it to the point that no slack could be made from sliding it back and forth. At that point I could pluck the string between the pulleys and it would sound similar to my 2 Y axis strings. I don't have a good answer but if you break something, it was too tight.

SD3 w/ mods:

Here's a video with the Y-axis done. So far it seems to be working great.
More tips: tape on the back and used the motor to wrap the line in the back at the same time.

Love the mod. Cost me $4.50 for 80lb spectra line on ebay. Took over a month to get here from china tho tongue If anyone in the bay area needs some fishing line let me know...got tons left over tongue

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/2267/ftpg.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/1067/7h4f.jpg

Created some washer thingys to help control the line length. That way you can have some slack in your line and an easy way to take it up...then use the screw for fine adjustment.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182786

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/3163/pgiz.jpg

I've come across some spectra line from another project and I think I'll give this a go.

Reading through the thread, it seems that I can just run the line around the existing pulleys, is this correct?

lawsy wrote:

I've come across some spectra line from another project and I think I'll give this a go.

Reading through the thread, it seems that I can just run the line around the existing pulleys, is this correct?

That's correct.

SD3 w/ mods:

Ok! Installed the mod tonight using 0.16mm Rovex Air Strike braid line. 10lb / 135m cost me $20 from a fishing store.

Wrapped the line around the existing GT2 pulleys.

I installed 1/32 step drivers and 0.9 deg steppers recently so my steps per mm for x and y were 320. I had to adjust to 336 after adding the line.

Pics over the weekend as I tweak it but seems good so far.

On the surface it looks like a great idea. The line is cheap in the lengths needed, the pulleys could be printed and therefore cheap. The prints should be more dimensionally accurate, even at higher print speeds.

Before I buy line to try this my biggest concern is longevity. From what I've read this line has stretch up to 3%. No doubt 3% is the extreme, and you would have to be hauling in some pretty big fish. But there may be occasional tension adjustments at first until the line settles in. Will this run for two years without fraying or wear? (A really good mod will meet or exceed a manufacturer's warranty period.)

I would hope some members that try this report back on their experiences with tension stability, wear, and dimensional accuracy improvements.

Thanks so much for coming up with this idea.

On the box of mine it says zero stretch for whatever that's worth.

About to start a really big print as a test of my latest mods.

Yea, i suppose at this point its experimental. I have a feeling that in a year or two we'll all be moving on to something newer, bigger, and better so i'm not that concerened about it lasting that long. And if it does end up failing a lot and being a pain i always have the belts to throw back in. You dont even have to print new pulleys so youre hardly changing the machine all that much to install it.  I'm using 80lb line...thats probably over spec'd by 10x so stretch will hardly be a factor. It has some tension on it, but not many lb's. If it does stretch 3% over the very short distance would hardly be noticable and could be fixed with a turn of a screw. This thing always has to be tuned anyways. So far its working well for me. Its relatively easy to do. Hardest part is choosing what type of knot to tie and getting it the right length.

I would add that i added some nylock nuts so it wouldnt loosen with vibration. Also did circle calibration afterwards as well. Ill update if things change, but so far so good.

Thanks. My hope is that it will hold its tension better than the belts once run-in. Thus, less maintenance provided the line lasts. I'm not going to wait two years to see if it has long life. But my goal is to use my printer as a tool, not a tinkerer's hobby. The thing I anticipate most from the tests is whether it improves dimensional accuracy.

Snap!

Came home to find a very interesting melted plastic sculpture. All three lines had snapped.

I guess 0.16mm was way too thin. I will reinstall my belts for now but I have faith in the mod and will try again with the thickest braid line I can find. I really like how nothing needs to be disassembled to do it.

lawsy wrote:

Snap!

Came home to find a very interesting melted plastic sculpture. All three lines had snapped.

I guess 0.16mm was way too thin. I will reinstall my belts for now but I have faith in the mod and will try again with the thickest braid line I can find. I really like how nothing needs to be disassembled to do it.

That seemed a bit thin. I am running 80 lbs/ .43mm line. I think everyone else is running 100 lb line. I'd use http://amzn.com/B00746VAU2 if it wasn't the same size as the filament. Still might anyways. smile

SD3 w/ mods:

This work?
http://robotdigg.com/product/52/PE-Brai … g-Line-50M

Check ebay as well. Sourced mine from china for cheap...just took a long time to get here. 100m of 80lb spectra line for $4.50 shipped.

Think the Tantilus said they used 60lb line.

I'm too impatient to wait a month. I'll visit the fishing store again and get the strongest I can that is reasonable.

Brain fade: When I saw the 10lbs rating I thought I was buying 10lbs in weight, not tensional strength.

Question I had with this as I was thinking about it...i understand why we wrap the line around the motor side spindle 7-8 times. Cause you want to maximize grip. Is it actually necessary to wrap the free spinning spindle so many times? Seems like it is just more work? Anything I'm missing here?

muddtt wrote:

Question I had with this as I was thinking about it...i understand why we wrap the line around the motor side spindle 7-8 times. Cause you want to maximize grip. Is it actually necessary to wrap the free spinning spindle so many times? Seems like it is just more work? Anything I'm missing here?

Nope, you are not missing anything. That should be updated to say 3-4 wraps. After a bit of testing, it became apparent that the few wraps the better. Up to a certain point of course. Too many wraps would allow the wraps to bunch up against the side of the pulley. This could possible cause the pulley to fail from stress.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the original post.

SD3 w/ mods: