Re: Beltless Drive X-Y Axis (Level 2 - Techie)

2n2r5 wrote:
muddtt wrote:

Question I had with this as I was thinking about it...i understand why we wrap the line around the motor side spindle 7-8 times. Cause you want to maximize grip. Is it actually necessary to wrap the free spinning spindle so many times? Seems like it is just more work? Anything I'm missing here?

Nope, you are not missing anything. That should be updated to say 3-4 wraps. After a bit of testing, it became apparent that the few wraps the better. Up to a certain point of course. Too many wraps would allow the wraps to bunch up against the side of the pulley. This could possible cause the pulley to fail from stress.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the original post.

actually I was thinking wraps on the motor side and no wraps on the opposite side?

lawsy, at least now we know that both axis experience more than 10 lbs torque. That is good to know. Probably want at least 60 lbs just to be safe.

Other than that are the prints coming out better? I'm curious because the mass of the hot end, extruder, extruder motor, extruder motor fan, plus any cooling fans could be the bigger culprit in over/under shoot during prints. But any little bit of improvement helps and that is what I'm looking for.

I think you are spot on with your assertion. I have already upgraded to GT2 belts so this I consider a further upgrade from that.

I can definitely still see some ripples near 90 degree corners, but it is fairly subtle.

Purchased some 80lbs line today, will fit and test in the next few days.

lawsy wrote:

I think you are spot on with your assertion. I have already upgraded to GT2 belts so this I consider a further upgrade from that.

I can definitely still see some ripples near 90 degree corners, but it is fairly subtle.

Purchased some 80lbs line today, will fit and test in the next few days.

I cant wait for the results. I am extremely interested in finding out if this is better than GT2 belts.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

The cable didn't really help with the ripple.  Since it's caused by vibration after fast changes, it has more to do with the fliexibility of everything else.  Dropping the X and Y acceleration values made a big difference in ripple for me.

So, we need a slicer that has a physical model of the machine and can avoid movements that hit any resonant frequencies :-).

57 (edited by adrian 2013-11-18 21:42:13)

Claghorn wrote:

So, we need a slicer that has a physical model of the machine and can avoid movements that hit any resonant frequencies :-).

Slic3r does already - without the physical model since its not actually a vector needed.
Relevance and effectiveness on the SDs mechanics are open to interpretation.

http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com.au/2010 … chive.html

--vibration-limit   Limit the frequency of moves on X and Y axes (Hz, set zero to disable;
                        default: 0)

Finally fitted the stronger line on the weekend. I'm not sure it's braided line, looks and feels more like a plastic line. It is rated to 80lbs, however.

Interestingly, the steps per mm for each axis stayed the same this time. So far so good, the print that snapped the thin line completed without issue.

In the pic you can see where one line broke and then the other. The good print is with the new fishing line.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=4014&download=0

Post's attachments

WP_20131125_002.jpg
WP_20131125_002.jpg 157.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Looks fantastic. Very Nice print!

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Claghorn wrote:

It occurs to me that this is a perfect job for an android smart phone with an acceleration sensor.  Use some rubber bands or something to attach the phone to the print bed, use an OTG cable to control the printer from the phone, then have the phone run the printer through different frequency movements in X and Y and generate a table of the amount of bed movement at different frequencies. No model required, just measure what really happens. Then just need a slicer that understands the table :-).

2n2r5 wrote:

Looks fantastic. Very Nice print!

Thanks mate. The threadless ball screw is a big part of that now.

I think both our printers have a lot of each others parts on them.

Almost on a long holiday so thinking about bowden extrusion. There is some wobble in the carriages I can't get rid of so reduced mass would help.

Also planning to machine a new aluminium bed with glass holder as seen by another on here.

muddtt wrote:

Created some washer thingys to help control the line length. That way you can have some slack in your line and an easy way to take it up...then use the screw for fine adjustment.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182786

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/3163/pgiz.jpg

Updated this line length control thing. Was to hard to get fine adjustment with the old design. Old also flexed to easily. This new one is stiffer and has finer adjustment. Would run it through a drill bit to make sure it spins freely.

Same thingiverse link

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3684/96tc.jpg

Tried the X-axis with the fishing line wrapped 4-5x on the motor side and only around the pulley side. I think the single wrap on the pulley side creates a more even tension around the whole line. I can't really think of any good reason to wrap it more on the pulley side. Makes it easier to install also. So far so good. I'll probably change the Y axis the same way when I'm bored.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8436/01p9.jpg

muddtt wrote:

Tried the X-axis with the fishing line wrapped 4-5x on the motor side and only around the pulley side. I think the single wrap on the pulley side creates a more even tension around the whole line. I can't really think of any good reason to wrap it more on the pulley side. Makes it easier to install also. So far so good. I'll probably change the Y axis the same way when I'm bored.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8436/01p9.jpg

My last time wrapping these I did 2-3 wraps on the drive pulley and 1 wrap on the idler. I am not sure if there is any benefit to even the 1 wrap on the idler. Looks like your loop around works fine. I will try that next time I have them off.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Hi guys,
this is a really interesting mod that follows my principles: it is cheap, reversible, not extremely difficult, and not with exotic parts difficult to find. But is it effective?

I'm quite pleased with my SD3 after the M5 upgrade, 1/32 microstepping on the extruder, and a general belt tighten the printer produces nice circles, while not perfect.
I still have some sort of pattern that is more pronounced near corners and then fades out.

What are the improvements with this beltless drive? More speed for same accuracy? No more patterns like the one described before? Reduced, or no backlash without tightening so much that you bend the Y axis?

Thank you for all your insights!

Nick

agentsmith wrote:

Hi guys,
this is a really interesting mod that follows my principles: it is cheap, reversible, not extremely difficult, and not with exotic parts difficult to find. But is it effective?

I'm quite pleased with my SD3 after the M5 upgrade, 1/32 microstepping on the extruder, and a general belt tighten the printer produces nice circles, while not perfect.
I still have some sort of pattern that is more pronounced near corners and then fades out.

What are the improvements with this beltless drive? More speed for same accuracy? No more patterns like the one described before? Reduced, or no backlash without tightening so much that you bend the Y axis?

Thank you for all your insights!

Nick

Nick,

I would suggest that if the belts are working well enough for you then stick with them. However, If your belts break, you have significant backlash, have trouble tightening them evenly or you just want a project then go ahead and try this out.  I'm not sure that the pattern around the corners will be straightened out by this. I think you should adjust your acceleration settings to fix that. The spectra line seems to go from loose to tight with fewer turns. As always, YMMV.

Let us know how it goes for you if you decide to do this.

SD3 w/ mods:

For all the reasons you listed, you can try it and go back if you don't like it. If you like to tinker, try it. If not, just be happy with the way your printer is setup smile

I've managed to dial my Y backlash down to 0, which I could never achieve with belts.   By the time I got the backlash low enough with belts, I would get Y skips from too much tension.

Thank you very much for the input, I willl do it for sure when the belts wear out, same reasoning for the acrylic extruder.

New line length control washer works great. Takes up extra slack in the line easily so you don't have to be so precise. Link was above.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/8401/nb9m.jpg

Another shot of the setup just in case it helps anybody.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2696/fzox.jpg

Nice job!  Looks great.

SD3 w/ mods:

Very nice.

Solidoodle2 with Ceramic tile heated bed http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2544/my- … eated-bed/
"1kg should last for an while" is a lie!

Small tip that might help get the tension even on Y axis. After setting up the cables and adjusting the tension, I used a free guitar tuner app on my phone to refine the tension. I plucked the cable and used the app to read the frequency of the resulting noise. I then tuned the tension so the lines had the same frequency. I ran the carriage back and forth a few times and then checked the frequencies again. 

And thanks to everyone above for sharing and showing us how to make this mod.

I suppose an update for anyone that would like to know. Ive been running this setup for awhile now and it has been pretty flawless. After the line breaks in a little and its tightened after a couple of uses I haven't had to touch it. For setting mine up I've noticed that the tension on the left side seems more important to get tight than on the right. Maybe cause there is more mass or the bearings are on that side. Whatever the case I'm quite happy.