Re: Mk5 Extruder: New and Improved!

Yes but you will need a different bearing, for the tension arm.  You will also need a spring and adjustment bolt like shown in the picture.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

102 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-30 17:24:57)

wardjr wrote:

Yes but you will need a different bearing, for the tension arm.  You will also need a spring and adjustment bolt like shown in the picture.

625zz bearing to be exact. Go to the hardware store and find a long SAE bolt. As long as it fits snug in the tension arm it doesn't matter. I used a 6-32 UNC bolt, approximately 50mm in length (sorry for mixing up metric and SAE but I don't really have an intuition for SAE, even as an American)

Guys I really hate asking this, but could someone make me this and ship it to me?  I would gladly buy it =X.  My Solidoodle 4 has a filament jam and wont print ANYTHING.  I bought the E3D V6 in hopes it would work, but I cannot do anything without it being mounted.  So I hooked up the Solidoodle 4 Stock Extruder, and it still wont work.  Have tried everything under the sun to get the stock extruder to work, but no luck =X.  And now I am sitting on the E3D V6, and I can't even mount it! sad

Filastruder.com sells it for $5 (?) under E3D parts/accessories section smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

105 (edited by Craiggers88 2015-04-21 14:03:08)

Filastuder took forever to give it to the post office because I chose the $3 shipping option (it wasn't the shipping that took forever, it was them taking their sweet *** time giving it to the post office / I would have easily paid $6 for priority flat rate, but $10 is a joke).  After the post office received my package, I got it ridiculously fast.  I followed the guide (because you know the guide *should* be correct) and like the description on Filastuder states, it's not perfect, but I would have never imagined how crappy this piece would be.

http://i58.tinypic.com/mbolz5.jpg

First, the parts don't even go together.  I have the random clip that locks the E3D V6 into place with no possible way to screw it in, he has two different models of the print on this thing.  So then, I follow the guide, because I don't care what people are saying after the fact (again the guide should be correct), and I screw in the idler bearing (as per the guide), and screw in the arm.... the bearing is too short...  so what do I do, I unscrew the arm...  the screwhole (which was 100% fine), broke because when I was unscrewing it, I wasnt holding onto it.  So I contact filastruder saying how I am not happy that his print was (IMO) a bad purchase.  His reply?  No "I'm sorry man", but:

Craig,

Lets take these things one at a time:

Shipping speed - you choose the cheapest shipping, First class mail. In me experience this is generally about 5business days from order date to arrival. It looks like in your case, it was indeed 5 business days.

Part quality - As noted in the product description: " It is not meant to be perfect,”. I have not had any other users report breaking the idler bearing arm. If the bearing was not pinching the filament, likely you are trying to use too small of a bearing and should have either gotten in touch, or posted to the forums, rather than cranking down on the arm which apparently caused it to break. Do note that I have not had any other complaints of the parts breaking.

Finally, if you are unhappy with the printed parts, you are welcome to send them back - but do not blame me for shipping time when you deleted the cheapest shipping available, and do not blame me for breaking the parts when you cranked them down too far.

Thanks,
Tim

Alright... so 1 your part is crap, and you know it's not perfect, BUT DON'T BLAME IT ON ME!! YOU SCREWED IT TOO HARD!!

No... no I didn't.  And no where in the "original guide" did it state that I needed anything else than a couple M3 10mm screws. 

So then I tell him thanks for being cool about... you know... wanting to help a brother out because I just bought a faulty piece from him (and he doesn't have instructions anywhere, specifically stating that you need a new idler bearing...) and now he is spamming my email with comments from this post saying

More specifically, it says here:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3016/mk5 … ed/page/5/

that a different idler bearing is needed. What idler bearing were you trying to use? I am guess the wrong one, then you cranked down on the adjustment spring to try to make up for it and broke the part.

And still blaming me on screwing it too hard.

That guide was for the SD2/SD3. Again, read the firs post on page 5. Here, I’ll screenshot it to you:

You then posted 2 posts down, so I’m not sure how you missed it.

I shipped exactly what I said I would - a Lawsy MK5 Extruder. I don’t see how it’s possibly my fault that you used the wrong idler bearing with it.

The post right above yours:

Still haven't received a "sorry man for your luck", but a ton of "well you are the idiot who can't read peoples comments".

Use him all you want, hes a complete A hole who if you buy something from him, he will tell you his parts are "as is" and that you broke it and if you don't have the correct parts, hey that's your fault because you can't read users comments.

All in all, Filastruder wasn't worth the money, instead contact someone else.  Should have just sent $10 to someone else to begin with, but I am going to send him more just for his appreciation of people and willingness to help others out.

Doesnt state ANYWHERE that I need a new ilder bearing on your description.  Each mount is different, and his description never once

==============
==     EDIT      ==
==============
The print I got in the mail isn't even the same thing as pictured on his website

http://i57.tinypic.com/2f0dkm0.png
http://i59.tinypic.com/2h8baxi.png
http://i61.tinypic.com/23lcoc8.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/2wp4dvs.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2rrvym8.jpg

The mount isnt the same thing, no wonder it's not working as expected.  Best $4.99 + $3.00 ever spent.  Mainly because it is "my fault" in Tim (Filastruders) opinion, but yet he CLEARLY printed the wrong freaking thing.  *Claps hands*

While I wait for mdroman  to get back to me, I amtrying to shave off the lever arm to create enough tension to print my own.

Post's attachments

Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG 32.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG 352.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG 441.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG 1.05 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0048.JPG 1011.26 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

106 (edited by AZERATE 2015-04-19 00:32:03)

1) Post #102 on this thread (the one directly above your first post), specifically discussed the 625zz bearings. No matter which extruder Filastruder or anybody else may make, this extruder style requires that exact bearing. The reason for this is because Solidoodle used to use 625zz for their printers, and this extruder (MK4,5,5/v6) were designed to cannibalize the stock bearing. It is nobody's fault Solidoodle changed bearings, so please sum this up as a goof on your end. We all had to learn this tech, and we have all made mistakes.
2) The MK5 extruder you posted from the Filastruder site is a design for the E3D v4/5. The v6 requires the one you received. How that anchor part got in your package problably has a funny story behind it, but this has also been discussed on the forum.

Sorry for your luck, man. Virtually every question a first time E3D user could ask has been well documented on here. But if you ever have any questions through your upgrade, please feel free to ask (more appropriate on a different thread to stay on point) and we would be happy to help. Until then, I hope your upgrade goes as smooth as possible and make some cool stuff.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

107 (edited by jagowilson 2015-04-19 00:54:55)

I've made like 30 posts myself telling people with SD4s (and later SD3s) that they would need to buy a 625zz. This is the first instance of confusion I've seen. You should've asked the forum, that's why we're here. You made a mistake. Accept it and move on.

Why ask the forum if the GUIDE doesn't tell you to.  There is no need to read others "suggestions" if the guide is correct.  But that's the thing, the guide is not correct big_smile  Nor does it state anywhere that you have to buy this.  It is "suggested" in user comments, I've already accepted it, and just letting others know that filastruder is a joke and the guy is an ***hole.

109 (edited by AZERATE 2015-04-19 01:24:28)

Craiggers88 wrote:

letting others know that filastruder is a joke and the guy is an ***hole.

From the Soliforum Rules and Guidelines:
SoliForum is not the place to start trouble, or make derogatory/racist/hateful remarks to other community members. So please be civil.

There are no traditional manuals to these modifications. 3D printers are not like mass produced lawn mowers that package info with every unit. With that being said, I have no background in shop/manufacturing, electronics, or engineering. But I, and many others, read through the threads available to everyone before committing to a purchase and/or installation.
Also, E3D is NOT a hotend designed solely for Solidoodle printers. Requirements vary from machine to machine and it is the consumer's duty to be prepared...especially if you are currently down and in a rush.
PLEASE take this as some words of wisdom, and not as an insult to you or your situation. Like I said, we are all here to help. If you ever need it, just ask!

Wow... this escalated quickly. Time to clear up some things.

I will not post the emails Craiggers88 sent me out of respect for his privacy, but they were full of profanity and personal insults - so "sorry man for your luck" went out the window early on due to his abusive tone.

I also did not "spam [his] inbox", I replied to each email he sent me. Moving on...

Shipping:

He ordered on a Friday, and originally ordered the wrong part so I had to straighten that out for him. His shipping label was printed over the weekend. There are a lot of orders that come in over the weekend, and Express (overnight) and Priority mail orders take precedence in packaging. These were handled on Monday. His order was packed up on Tuesday, and would have gone out Wednesday in normal situations but unfortunately USPS did not come to pick up mail that day. As a result it was picked up Thursday, and arrived Saturday - still just 5 business days after the order, with $3 shipping.

The parts themselves:

The website clearly states that the parts shipped may or may not be of the locking arm variety.

As myself and others have said, the appropriate size idler bearing needs to be used. Not doing so resulted in the parts breaking as a result of user error. Even though this is not my fault, I still offered to refund him if he sent the parts back.

I pointed out what was done wrong during assembly, offered a refund even though the parts were broken as a result of user error. On top of that, I replied to all of his emails within minutes of them being sent, even on a Saturday night. I'm not sure what else I could have done?

All of this over a $5 set of printed parts, which by the way I keep exactly $0 - all of the money goes back to Lawsy and other members of the community.

But where on the guide does it say that I need a different idler bearing.  Where on the website does it say I need a different idler bearing.  Why

so I am really not happy.  After over a week of waiting for the thing to get here, I finally start putting it together.  Not only does the filament NOT feed because the pieces are too far apart from one another, as soon as I start to unscrew the right piece that holds the metal wheel, it's broken.  I can see this thing was printed at a really crappy rate, and it shows.  I should have just spent the $10 to the person who got back to me because he has already told me that he has spares for just an occasion.  Not only that but i have some random piece that I can't even screw in . so my best bet with yours is a ****load of super glue for the piece that already broke (mind you I just ****ing got this in the mail), and sand down the piece in hopes that I don't do more damage, all in the meanwhile of paying another person $10 just so I can get something of quality.  Thanks, but no thanks man, not happy

and his responce

Finally, if you are unhappy with the printed parts, you are welcome to send them back - but do not blame me for shipping time when you deleted the cheapest shipping available, and do not blame me for breaking the parts when you cranked them down too far.

Extremely defensive for a dude that just sent me something that broke in 5 minutes of trying to install.  His response to the first email is what basically put me over the deep end.

Whatever its over, I'm not going to send something back that will cost me ~$3.50 to only get $4.99 back (and basically get $1.50 of my money back)

I know there are moderators here, all I am saying is that it would be nice on the multiple pages of E3D V6 upgrades to include "hey you need some a new 625zz bearings".  At the same time, why not upgrade the blue connector from the wrong end that is recommended on being purchases into the other half of the connector.

Pretty much, who reads the comments of a user guide.  If the user guide is up to date, then the comments are suggestions.  I have no problem buying a bearing, but its been 3 weeks now that this thing has been broken and I'm just spending $600 on buying a new unit, because nothing is documented well enough, only to find out you need to read #52's comment about the bearings and #75's comment filing down a section of your sprindle, and #93's comment about never going under 200 degrees celcius, because you know, the guide is out of date. 

It's insulting to point fingers at me saying "nice going Craig, you idiot."  And thats all thats been happening.  Had no idea about bearings, but that doesn't excuse the fact that this piece that I just got in the mail is useless after unscrewing it once.

So basically all I am saying is that:

AZERATE wrote:

Filastruder.com sells it for $5 (?) under E3D parts/accessories section smile

You can buy from Filastruder, but there is no quality and the helpdesk places the blame on you for being neglegent

Craig i notice this is your 4th post. your very first post in the forum was post #103 on the thread. This leads me to believe a few things.

1 you came here as a last resort
2 you may not have read all the documentation available
3 you might wanna cool down and think about what he has said.

from my experience on here people are willing to help, make suggestions, assist etc as long as you don't abuse thier generosity.

Finally we've all broken parts. specifically in a previous part f this thread or another its stated that he does not print the parts himself and that the parts are for a temporary until you can print your own. at a guess these are printed at 0.3 lowest resolution with infill just good enough to stabilize them. i will note that you could have taken the arm from your old extruder head and fitted it on your new extruder head and printed a new arm.

But that is just my thoughts on the matter

instead contact  mdroman  on Thingiverse

Hey, I offered to help you out and the offer still stands, but I can't have everyone doing this.  Sorry you think elmoret did you wrong, I have ordered several times from him and always has a good experience.  Also, if your printer is ever down and you don't have a spare, head on over to reddit.com/r/reprappif and you can easily find someone to print it for you.  But I can send you a mount if you still need it.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Hey all,
I'm hoping that a community member can help out.  I've had an unfortunate, catostrophic clog with the default Solidoodle 4 extruder and I'm now eager to upgrade to the E3D (in fact, I've just purchased it and it's inbound).  Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to print out the required parts prior to the extruder failure and I'm now beholden to someone who has a functional printer who's willing to print out a set to make a few extra bucks.  Are there some suggestions on where I should go to get a set?  Is there a user who's renowned for making great parts and perhaps already bundles it on eBay or elsewhere?  Please let me know... I'm eager to bring my printer back online.

Thanks in advance!!

A few of us started a company with these exact situations in mind.
http://www.printitindustries.com/collec … 6-extruder

Keep in mind you want to select "Kit" because this will use a different spring and radial bearing than your stock extruder has.

Fantastic... I've placed an order for the full Kit.