51 (edited by Stevos758 2013-08-19 12:53:20)

Re: Mk5 Extruder: New and Improved!

Does anyone see a problem with me extending the MK5 out 4-5mm? My E3D will not fit all the way in the slot. It's causing me to get filament jams as I am running at a very high angle. I would think the only issue would be the stock bolts not being long enough?

I see previous posts mention 2mm. Maybe I can get by with that. I am not by my machine so I am just guessing.

Stevos758 wrote:

Does anyone see a problem with me extending the MK5 out 4-5mm? My E3D will not fit all the way in the slot. It's causing me to get filament jams as I am running at a very high angle. I would think the only issue would be the stock bolts not being long enough?

I see previous posts mention 2mm. Maybe I can get by with that. I am not by my machine so I am just guessing.

If you used the one that I posted a few posts back. That one will not fit E3Ds. I just updated that post with one that will. Lawsy has already corrected this issue with his design. When I redid the design to help aid with the fit of a hotend that I had, I used the original lawsy design so it wasn't meant to fit the E3D. I have since updated the file to work with the E3D.

Post's attachments

lawsy_mk5_base_with_mount_changes_e3d.stl 528.52 kb, 56 downloads since 2013-08-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Ok, I will give it a try. I just compared them and they look identical except for the bevel.

My cooling fins are hitting on the carriage below. I ordered some bearings to do lawsy's upgrade. In the meantime I will try extending the MK5 out 2-5mm.

okay, the problem that I was referring to was the arms that hold the screw for the x endstop needed to be moved out to accomodate the E3D. That should be the only part that hits.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I will get some pics tonight.

My E3D came in today and currently I'm redoing my heated bed platform so I'm stuck using PLA and I haven't printed this out yet.
Do you believe the heat from the E3D will effect the PLA?

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

shouldnt - the barrel top stays cool to the touch

but long term you'll want ABS when you can

Ok cool
I own a machine shop so I will eventually find some time to make them out of aluminum
but that's good to know I can use PLA for the time being.

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

How about making this work with a SD3 ?
Thanks G

G-unit wrote:

Thanks G

... ?

SD3 w/ mods:

G-unit wrote:

Thanks G

Yes, it fits the same on SD2s and SD3s since the extruder assembly is the same.

62 (edited by G-unit 2013-08-27 03:26:56)

Hunter Green wrote:
G-unit wrote:

Thanks G

Yes, it fits the same on SD2s and SD3s since the extruder assembly is the same.

Well then i have something different then the normal SD3. every thing is the same but the bottom right side bolt, mine is offset more then this one. or am i missing something?
Thanks G

Post's attachments

1005233_10202076983550671_2112202066_n.jpg
1005233_10202076983550671_2112202066_n.jpg 54.88 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

One thing u should know, is i have only held it up to the stock mount, i haven't tried to put it on.. Maybe the bottom bolt don't matter..

That's the same as the sd2 extruder. It'll fit smile

If your printer's calibration isn't perfect, it might not line up perfectly.  Mine sure didn't, but I was able to use a drill to widen the holes enough to make them reach.

COOL, Thank you..
G

67 (edited by G-unit 2013-09-01 03:13:35)

Just a update, i got it all hooked up and this fits so nice, .
Thanks .

G

Is there a dial holder that will work with the E3D for bed leveling?

Shotline wrote:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/29230/#p29230

Shotline wrote:

There is one in the original release on Thingiverse...

But it doesn't clear the E3D fan.

Touché!

just fitted up a mk5 in place of the still awesome mk4.

a few crits:

the need for extra bolts and screws not included in the original jigsaw head makes this a difficult modification for a new user, or someone in the states without a fastener store nearby to get their hands on small metric screws. i have a healthy supply of m3 - m4 screws down to m3X10 cap head, and i still had to leave the mk4 filament guide in place because the 10mm screw bottoms out in the stepper when i try to mount the mk5 filament guide. the new design does look sleek, but you should try to maintain the original hardware screw dimensions to keep the upgrade easy so newbs can do it too.

the hotend retainer is a nice shot at it. but mine still wobbles. i'll probably wrap a layer of kapton around the peek to give it a snugger fit. should maybe consider a more "substantial" clamp for the hot end, perhaps a bolt running through the body from the side that can engage on the peek and keep it steady.

other than that it was drop-in like the mk4. keep up the revisions! its a great service to the community!

So it does need additional hardware?  I just got assured, for my instructions for the E3D, that it doesn't.  Can anyone give me a clear list of what additional screws it needs?

Hunter Green wrote:

So it does need additional hardware?  I just got assured, for my instructions for the E3D, that it doesn't.  Can anyone give me a clear list of what additional screws it needs?

Did you ever find out what screws you needed in addition?