Re: Orders Shipping List

Order #710
Ordered 4th May

The only ETA I've had from support was '2-3 weeks', which was 7 weeks ago.

When I followed this up last week I received a copy/paste response containing nothing more than the last blog post. My other queries were ignored.

So far I've been content to wait the four months it has now been since ordering, but I'm becoming progressively more pissed off as I see reports of much later orders being dispatched (some seemingly months before).

Of course I'm in no way pissed at those that have received their printers out of order - they are not responsible for the random shipping order Solidoodle seem to have adopted.

However the feeling I'm getting is that those of us who are keeping quiet are being skipped/ignored in order to get other orders out of the way (squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc).

I have no way of telling how many other May or pre-May orders have shipped aside from the few reported here (eg. Brad, Jinja, Gordym, Lawsy) so I don't know if I'm one of only a few, or many in the same position.

I know from the Facebook feed that at least one (probably more) April orders had not shipped as of the end of last week.

52 (edited by patmail4 2012-09-03 16:06:37)

dbgw wrote:

Order #710
Ordered 4th May

The only ETA I've had from support was '2-3 weeks', which was 7 weeks ago.

When I followed this up last week I received a copy/paste response containing nothing more than the last blog post. My other queries were ignored.

So far I've been content to wait the four months it has now been since ordering, but I'm becoming progressively more pissed off as I see reports of much later orders being dispatched (some seemingly months before).

Of course I'm in no way pissed at those that have received their printers out of order - they are not responsible for the random shipping order Solidoodle seem to have adopted.

However the feeling I'm getting is that those of us who are keeping quiet are being skipped/ignored in order to get other orders out of the way (squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc).

I have no way of telling how many other May or pre-May orders have shipped aside from the few reported here (eg. Brad, Jinja, Gordym, Lawsy) so I don't know if I'm one of only a few, or many in the same position.

I know from the Facebook feed that at least one (probably more) April orders had not shipped as of the end of last week.

when they say weeks your have to read months.... (oh or years?)
this is going ridiculous
same situation 'im order 771

I understand the frustration. The only good thing to come out of it is that the early adopters identified several weaknesses in the product and solidoodle has made changes to the machine. Yours will be more robust when it finally arrives. I am not sure why some of the may orders haven't shipped yet. Their blog indicated that some June orders are shipping now. I know you will be happy with the printer once it arrives. I scouted around after waiting about 10 weeks to find something comparable for the price and nothing can touch this deal yet.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Gordym wrote:

I scouted around after waiting about 10 weeks to find something comparable for the price and nothing can touch this deal yet.

I went through the same process and came to the same conclusion. There is a very cheap kit printer available in the UK called the SUMPOD, but it isn't cheap enough make it a better deal.

You make a great point regarding the potential benefits of not being 'the earliest' of adopters, and this is one of the (admittedly somewhat selfish) reasons why I don't mind waiting. Improvements in production should mean a better product as time goes on.

I understand from comments made by support that some units will fail on the production line and need to be reworked, causing delays for some orders. There was a suggestion that each frame serial number is pre-assigned to an order, which made swapping of units difficult under such circumstances - but there are only really two models of printer (the case doesn't really count), so I don't see why the next completed unit can't simply be reassigned to the order in such a scenario?

Id just hope that the solidoodle team truly is critiquing and developing faster assembly processes. It really isn't looking good for those of us purchasing later on than most to hear that some may orders haven't even shipped yet but still standing firm at 8-10 weeks.

56 (edited by lawsy 2012-09-04 23:37:03)

My printer has finally arrived:

Order: 1338
Order date: 05/18/2012
Shipped: 08/22/2012
Delivered: 09/04/2012

No toolkit.
Case included.
No tears on Kapton.
Edit:
Only one roll of filament sent out of the two ordered.
Can't find the PVC spool holder yet either.

lawsy wrote:

My details:

Order: 1338
Order date: 05/18/2012

Can anyone shed light on the tracking. According to the tracking, my printer has been "Processed Through Sort Facility" at "ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)" on the 22/8/12.

Now a week has passed and no update? Does this definitely mean that the printer is sitting there doing nothing or is it on the way and the tracking is sloppy?

lawsy wrote:

My printer has finally arrived

Thanks for updating us Lawsy, I'm pleased to hear that and hope you get on well with it - although it does seem to confirm that they're not building/shipping these things even remotely in order of the date they were purchased.

On the plus side, it sounds like they've started sending them out with the cases included.

58 (edited by Jon 2012-09-05 13:01:08)

I've been against making a post concerning frustrations with the ship date of the Solidoodle I ordered for a number of reasons, the least of which being that I didn't feel it would provide any tangible benefit. The company is a start-up, working through a massive backlog due to an unanticipated interest. Okay, so they weren't able to even start shipping the first units until after the original promised ship dates. I can understand, bootstrapping a company is non-trivial.

So why am I making this post? 
Well, dbgw's post struck a chord with me. I, too, have questioned the odd shipping order of the units. I, too, have suspected this had something to do with addressing the squeaky wheel(s).  In addition, I've felt that John (from support) has become increasingly defensive in responding to people in the forums. To be fair, I wouldn't wish his job on anyone. Sam, if you're listening, I'd highly recommend rotating this position to avoid the jading that tends to occur with tech support/IT.  Just my two cents.

What is my specific complaint?
I have been in contact with Solidoodle support since my original order. I have been polite and cordial in all of my communications. I have requested a shipment date on my order only after the shipment date has been surpassed.
Original order:
Request for delivery date on: 5/12  Delivery date provided: 7/11
Second request for delivery date:
Request for delivery date on: 7/11  Delivery date provided: 7/25
Third request for delivery date based on a blog update:
Request for delivery date on: 7/17  Delivery date provided: 8/14
Fourth request for delivery:
Request for delivery date on: 8/14  Delivery date provided: 8/27
Fifth request for delivery after blog update:
Request for delivery date on: 8/27  Referred to Delivery date provided: 9/5

As you can see, I have been repeatedly provided with delivery dates, only to be disappointed. Perhaps the Solidoodle will materialize on the shipping dock tomorrow.

It's become a running joke at my workplace that I keep looking for this package when it was promised.  Why have people who have later order dates been sent their machines prior to people who ordered before them?  This nonsense about being assigned a serial number and something happening with the machine just isn't believable.

Here is my information:
Order Number:  1023
Order Date:  5/12/12
Model:  Expert
Website Status:  Pending

17 weeks here, still pending.

Order date 7 May
Pro model (no case)

All of my emails to support have been answered with the usual blow off form replies of "X more weeks according to your order date" (all of which have passed with no further info) or a copy and paste of the blog posts.

If I had known it was going to be this much trouble to get my printer I would have given more consideration to spending the $1700 for the makerbot I was originally looking at.

I did finally receive my printer after weeks of waiting. However, I ordered the Expert model and they did not ship the case/door with it. When I contacted John frm Support, he inidicated that they shipped it that way so I could begin printing as soon as possible. That was fine, I could wait for the case a few weeks. He assured me the case would ship in a couple weeks. It has been four weeks now and he will not respond to my email. I am wondering if I threw the extra $50 out the window for the case. I really wanted the finished look so I can show it off at work and other events. I also hear that the case helps keep the printer bed warmer. I sent three emails in two weeks with no response.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I also have my printer, but dealing with emailing this company feels like pulling teeth.

Direct support questions have gone unanswered.  Getting replacement broken pieces felt like a fight.

I love my solidoodle, I'm glad I have it, but I'm still irritated at some of this.

I really think they need to find people who have the passion for this hobby like Ian and pay them to help support. 

They should also produce two different models, and ship in the order the order was placed, then link up the customer to the serial number.

Wouldn't it be nice to know there are 10 people in front of you that have ordered the pro model... we are building approx x# of pro models per week.  That would calm down almost anyone...  If you don't know your place in line you just get pissed off.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

After following up my previous email with a more to-the-point request for an explanation to the shipping order (and an estimate for my own printer), I've been told the following:

As the blog says, we are willing to expedite orders. What you have seen is expedited orders. Currently your order is about 10 days from being shipped. Again, if it is a dire necessity we would be willing to expedite.

I quoted two order numbers (and dates) kindly provided in this thread as examples of non-chronological shipment, and the suggestion is that those orders were expedited.

As far as I'm concerned they made a huge mistake as soon as they started 'expediting' orders. Doing so immediately causes disruption to everyone's shipping estimates (making support's lives difficult) and causes the kind of confusion and animosity we now have with regards to people's place in line.

At the end of the day no-one is going to order one of these printers (with an 8 week lead time) and expect them to turn up bang on time - nor is the possession of a 3D printer ever going to be the difference between life and death - so the idea that there would ever be a 'dire necessity' for such a device just doesn't make sense to me.

Like Jon, the pending dispatch of this printer has become a running joke in the office and at home. Until recently I was defensive of the company and device, but I'm starting to waver.

63 (edited by cmetzel 2012-09-05 21:04:41)

I think a little slack needs to be cut on this issue.  According to their website, they've shipped nearly 250 printers as of 8/24.  This is not Walmart or HP or some big robust production line, this is a new product, in it's infancy, and very low quantities for manufacturing at this point.  As someone with 20+ years in manufacturing experience, any time you're dealing with low run quantities like this, you're at the mercy of some of your suppliers, and there is a learning curve involved.  From the company's standpoint, the more they make and the faster they make them, the higher the profit margin so I can guarantee they have every incentive in the world to make them fast and efficiently.  I know it's frustrating waiting and asking for answers and not getting immediate responses, but take a step back and realize what it is you're getting and what you're paying and compare it to everyone else out there.  I for one think it's well worth the wait.

cmetzel wrote:

This is not Walmart or HP or some big robust production line

With respect, I believe everyone is well aware of that.

cmetzel wrote:

take a step back and realize what it is you're getting and what you're paying and compare it to everyone else out there.  I for one think it's well worth the wait.

No argument there. As explained earlier in the thread, my personal grievance is not with the delays (given the nature of the product and company, I'm sure most of us expected these), but with the 'expedition' of certain orders.

dbgw wrote:

No argument there. As explained earlier in the thread, my personal grievance is not with the delays (given the nature of the product and company, I'm sure most of us expected these), but with the 'expedition' of certain orders.

And on that note I agree, but I can see them prioritizing for people who are "losing" money from the added delay above what was anticipated if it's for a business.  That kind of thing happens all around every day so I guess I just learned to live with it.

Just spotted a worrying new post on the Facebook page:

Jon Britton wrote:

...I'm #245, ordered in April, and still haven't heard anything even though all April and May orders have supposedly shipped.

67 (edited by patmail4 2012-09-06 19:27:03)

as dbgw say the prob is not the delay it's the random expedition, copy and pasted blog replys, and perma shipping in 2 weeks .... and most of all they don't refund ppl.

it's mayba a cheap product, but sory they are playing whith our money since few months and only some lucky guys got what they payed for.
for me it smell like ponzi.

I don't recommend buying solidoodle to anyone for now.
Add 500$ and buy a real product from a real and confirmed compagny.

68 (edited by Jon 2012-09-07 07:06:29)

In response to some of the comments, let me be clear about my prior posting.  I'm aware that Solidoodle is a start-up, not some big box store.  I believe I have been patient with the delays and will continue to be so.  Also, I do not think that the company is involved in any sort of scam.  Everything about this has the look and feel of an earnest start-up.  I support Solidoodle and wish them nothing but success.

My complaint is with the combination of repeatedly missed deadlines (all of which were offered freely from the company) and the apparent prioritization of some orders over others.  I do not fault the people who ordered after me and received their unit before mine, clearly this was a decision on the Solidoodle end.  I also don't think this reflects anything on the health of the company, but it does seem to shine some light on the policies being implemented. 

The reality may simply be that this is an earnest effort to help people who have made some plans around the missed delivery dates and are losing money as a result.  While I'm tempted to find causation where only correlation is evident, the out of order fulfillment may have very little to do with the failed deadlines.  Fact is, I also have business planned for the unit, but I opted to put the brakes on after the first missed delivery date.  Others may not have been so lucky.

While I may exhibit a bit of frustration, this post and my previous one are intended to reach out to a community that I'm becoming more acquainted with on a daily basis, not to flame, belittle or call "foul play" on Solidoodle.  Should the delivery date policy be looked at?  Almost certainly.  Should the order fulfillment policy be examined?  Maybe, we don't really have enough information to know.  Do I have confidence that I will receive my order?  Absolutely, the only question is when.

I would like to say for the record that I never asked for any expedition on my order. I can understand that others are very upset if they ordered before me, as I would be too.

Although I'm happy I have my printer, there remains serious qustion marks over the integrity of the business. The shop still lists 8-10weeks for new orders, which will eventually be true, but hasn't been for some time.

I think most of these issues could have been avoided with more transparency. A lot can be learnt from how Printrbot have managed a similar situation. On their website they have a graphic that informs how many printers were shipped the previous day. Customers know exactly what is happening which means they won't be asking for constant email updates.

Therefore Solidoodle staff will have more time to add proper documentation and work on software, another common complaint.

Jon wrote:

In response to some of the comments... (omitted for brevity) ...the only question is when.

Well put, I share your exact sentiments.

Lawsy wrote:

I would like to say for the record that I never asked for any expedition on my order

Thank you for confirming this; I suspected as much.
Even if you had, my problem is with Solidoodle allowing such a thing, not those whom have requested it (for whatever reason).

In reality I suspect whomever at Solidoodle responded to my query did not have the time or inclination to look up the example orders I gave (given the volume of mail they must be getting I can't blame them for this), so mostly likely they assumed expedition was the reason.

This does however suggest that the 'expedited orders' reasoning given at various points by support staff is not the sole cause of the erratic build order.

Hopefully a blog update will be forthcoming in the next couple of days that gives us a real progress update and addresses our queries (and those of others on the Facebook page).

lawsy wrote:

I would like to say for the record that I never asked for any expedition on my order. I can understand that others are very upset if they ordered before me, as I would be too.

Although I'm happy I have my printer, there remains serious qustion marks over the integrity of the business. The shop still lists 8-10weeks for new orders, which will eventually be true, but hasn't been for some time.

I think most of these issues could have been avoided with more transparency. A lot can be learnt from how Printrbot have managed a similar situation. On their website they have a graphic that informs how many printers were shipped the previous day. Customers know exactly what is happening which means they won't be asking for constant email updates.

Therefore Solidoodle staff will have more time to add proper documentation and work on software, another common complaint.

Better transparency is not always a good thing...If it was my business, and I made an honest effort to streamline the process of making the printers.. If you're making 10 of something a day, it might be better to not make a printer for 2 weeks... to upgrade your system... to be able to make 100 a day..  And for two weeks, that'd upset a lot of people... seeing 0 printers being made.. You're kind of stuck in a groove of making only 10 a day, while painfully trying to upgrade your "system" while still popping out 10 a day... you get stuck in a rut.

Also, you got to consider they may or may not be changing the design as more and more people are using their 2nd generation... For instance i've seen a lot of people complain about one of the bushings being too tight.. and they've sent out replacement parts to fix such issues... but it'd make more sense for them to make sure those problems don't happen for the ones they haven't even made yet.

So... the way they are doing it leaves a lot up to the imagination... which is sometimes a good thing... I get to hope they resolve all the issues people are having with their printers before they make mine.... But i do have to worry that this whole thing might be a big scam... time will tell...

ordered. end of May .. order 1650 ish ..

got onto irc late last night (my time) to check status and was told shipped !
unfortunately the tracking numbers quoted say it went to italy instead of australia, some sort of number mix up I hope, I received no email on status. I hear about mass emails but have not received a single email since my invoice.
I was ensured 'its definately shipped' albeit no correct tracking yet.

Will try irc a bit later tonight and see if saturday brings further info.

I am optimistic though .. just ordered a couple of rolls of filament locally.

Jason wrote:

Order Number: 761
Order Date: 5/5/12
Shipping Update: 3-4 weeks from 7/31/12 per John at Solidoodle support.

Same status, I haven't even bothered to email again seems pointless.

Order # 1284
Order date: may 17th
Should be shipped by now per John

order ID 565
ordered May 1, 2012
shipped September 4, 2012
received September 6, 2012
(it was shipped to Lafayette, Indiana, United States)

Mark Senn
Lafayette, Indiana, United States