Re: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

On page 5 of this thread:

gettingbored wrote:
muddtt wrote:

Think it'll be okay if I had a little lifting on the corners of some parts?

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2686/icu8.jpg

I know I had some warping at the corners of my pieces but they still seem to work fine.

If your stock rods are in good condition (not bent) you should be able to use them. But read page 6 of this thread...that is where users start talking about options on how to remove the rods from the stock carriages. If you want to save your stock carriages but cannibalize the rods, this will be an important step to take.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I did this to mine.  Prints are so much cleaner.  Just make sure you do not make it out of PLA for the extruder.  They tend to melt and not give reliable prints.  Other than that it works amazingly.

Hi guys I see a lot people asking where to get smooth rods at. One suggestion i have is use the rods out of regular home inkjet printers. you can get them from Thrift stores for like a dollar. I have a whole box (that weighs about 60 pounds, lol). You can get anything from 2mm up to 26mm diameters and almost any length to 30 inches.

Scanners also have many parts you can use in 3d Printers.

You also can get gears, limit switches and linear/rotary position sensors, and more as well as stepper motors in some of them.

I had originally planned to use such parts to build a complete 3D printer from, Including the case, but got rushed and decided to buy. But my boxes of parts are still worth gold.

Is this compatible with a SD4 or is there another thread i should be following everything i come across states SD 2&3 ? Want to do the same setup on my SD4 While i'm dismantling to upgrade the power supply , firmware and e3d V6 also any other upgrades i should look into? Appreciated from a noobie still in the reading and learning phase

SD4 will accept any mod designed for the SD2&3.  The 3&4 are on the same chassis.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

SD4 will accept any mod designed for the SD2&3.  The 3&4 are on the same chassis.

The internals are identical for upgrade purposes, but the chassis do differ, even on the early revision SD4s.  My SD4 is an inch taller than my SD3, as an example of the most major difference.  This is why I can use the rear hole in the chassis for a filament feed, instead of for the extruder cabling. 

I am planning on upgrading it to the Lawsy design carriages + E3D, just as soon as I've done the same for my more recently aquired SD3.  I've already done this for another friend's SD4 that arrived with smashed carriages, so I can verify that it'll work just fine.

josefcub wrote:
wardjr wrote:

The internals are identical for upgrade purposes, but the chassis do differ, even on the early revision SD4s.  My SD4 is an inch taller than my SD3, as an example of the most major difference.  This is why I can use the rear hole in the chassis for a filament feed, instead of for the extruder cabling. 

I am planning on upgrading it to the Lawsy design carriages + E3D, just as soon as I've done the same for my more recently aquired SD3.  I've already done this for another friend's SD4 that arrived with smashed carriages, so I can verify that it'll work just fine.

Could you verify that for me?  I am working on my own project on this end and would like the actual height measurement of the SD4 not including the feet or any lid just the chassis.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

wardjr wrote:

Could you verify that for me?  I am working on my own project on this end and would like the actual height measurement of the SD4 not including the feet or any lid just the chassis.

I measured each twice with my el cheapo tape measure.  I took one side off of each printer, and made sure the lid on the SD4 was out of the way, to be sure.  My rulers are only a foot long, so I couldn't do it with anything more precise.  Sorry.

SD3 is (13 and three quarters) 13.75" tall, outside measurement from bottom of chassis (not the tabletop) to the top, no lids or anything else. 

SD4 is (14 and 15/16ths) 14.9375" tall, measured the same way.

josefcub wrote:
wardjr wrote:

I measured each twice with my el cheapo tape measure.  I took one side off of each printer, and made sure the lid on the SD4 was out of the way, to be sure.  My rulers are only a foot long, so I couldn't do it with anything more precise.  Sorry.

SD3 is (13 and three quarters) 13.75" tall, outside measurement from bottom of chassis (not the tabletop) to the top, no lids or anything else. 

I think we'll call that an even 15" for my purposes.
Thank you very much!!!  I learn something new every day wink

wardjr wrote:
josefcub wrote:
wardjr wrote:

I think we'll call that an even 15" for my purposes.
Thank you very much!!!  I learn something new every day wink

If your still following this can you tell me the measurement from the top of the chassis down to the center of the holes the drive bushings go into?

211 (edited by josefcub 2015-01-28 18:25:02)

wardjr wrote:

If your still following this can you tell me the measurement from the top of the chassis down to the center of the holes the drive bushings go into?

I figured center-of-rod would be close to center-of-hole in a complete assembly.  If I'm wrong, that would have to wait until I could disassemble the SD4 during its upgrade.  But, 7.3cm / 73mm give or take, from the top of the chassis to the center of the Y axis drive rod.  It's pretty late in my day (I work third shift) and my eyesight isn't cooperating too well.  This time I could use my fancy el-cheapo ruler. wink

Would you like anything else before I button my SD4 back up?

Nope that about does it I really appreciate your help!

wardjr wrote:

Nope that about does it I really appreciate your help!

Glad I could be of assistance! smile

Did the Lawsy carriages upgrade on my SD4 as well - love it! runs much more smoothly (when it was running...)

a couple of minor things specific to the SD4 (on mine anyway):

in order to mount the X stop switch in the "stock" position (lower right rear corner of X carriage), I needed to create a mounting plate to mount it in the X carriage, and also a stop extension to mount on the right-hand Y carriage to prevent the 2 carriages from colliding when homing.

Also created an extension for the Y carriage to hit the stop switch at the correct location - seems the Lawsy carriages are a bit smaller than the stock ones, so it was moving further back when homing.

the switch mounting plate uses 3mm screws in the existing holes in the X carriage and is adjustable (uses the existing tiny screws & nuts for mounting the switch itself).
the 2 stop extensions use 2.5mm screws - I had to drill some holes for them, but plenty of room to do so.

in order to get the printer up and running, i made the original pieces out of styrene, but made printed parts afterwards.

Would be happy to share the STLs if anyone wants them. smile

SD4 with Lawsy carriages, Rumba board, & new 12v PSU, E3D v6, mirror bed plate, X motor fan.
Stock SD4
Prusa i3 kit, spring loaded extruder upgrade, Y axis belt tensioner

madkow007 wrote:

I think that'd be awesome of you to share them with the entire forum.  Your mods sound like they hit the problem head on (SD4 switch mount, Mk 5 extruder).  I ended up doing something unholy with a tiny sheetmetal switch mount and the SD4 OEM X carriage, for a friend whose carriages shattered during shipping, to approximate the same thing.

I also ended up doing the full Lawsy upgrade for one of my SD4s.  I chose to hack on Lawsy's X carriage with OpenSCAD to make a custom center top to hold the switch assembly and utilize the existing SD4 extruder (I can only afford one E3D v6 at the moment).  I need to make one for both revisions of the SD4's extruder, otherwise I'd have posted the Thingiverse link here already for anyone who wanted to do the same.

josefcub wrote:
madkow007 wrote:

I think that'd be awesome of you to share them with the entire forum.  Your mods sound like they hit the problem head on (SD4 switch mount, Mk 5 extruder).  I ended up doing something unholy with a tiny sheetmetal switch mount and the SD4 OEM X carriage, for a friend whose carriages shattered during shipping, to approximate the same thing.

I also ended up doing the full Lawsy upgrade for one of my SD4s.  I chose to hack on Lawsy's X carriage with OpenSCAD to make a custom center top to hold the switch assembly and utilize the existing SD4 extruder (I can only afford one E3D v6 at the moment).  I need to make one for both revisions of the SD4's extruder, otherwise I'd have posted the Thingiverse link here already for anyone who wanted to do the same.

printhead on mine is still the stocker - had to drill holes in the Lawsy mounting plate for mounting it, but it works. smile

as for the STL files... see below

I can get some pics of them too if anyone is interested.

Post's attachments

X Stop Extend.stl 148.39 kb, 35 downloads since 2015-03-19 

X stop switch mount.stl 151.67 kb, 27 downloads since 2015-03-19 

Y stop extend.stl 115.93 kb, 26 downloads since 2015-03-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD4 with Lawsy carriages, Rumba board, & new 12v PSU, E3D v6, mirror bed plate, X motor fan.
Stock SD4
Prusa i3 kit, spring loaded extruder upgrade, Y axis belt tensioner

217 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-20 19:03:59)

I'm confused, why was this necessary? You're supposed to put a screw in the Mk5 body to hit the stop switch and put the stop switch on the right side Y axis carriage. I did this on an SD4 and it works just fine . . . The Mk5 body will also work with the stock center carriage just fine. I'm not bashing it but I'm just trying to help you save time and effort!

jagowilson wrote:

I'm confused, why was this necessary? You're supposed to put a screw in the Mk5 body to hit the stop switch and put the stop switch on the right side Y axis carriage. I did this on an SD4 and it works just fine . . . The Mk5 body will also work with the stock center carriage just fine. I'm not bashing it but I'm just trying to help you save time and effort!

Neither madkow007 or I are using the mk5 body at present.  Since I have two SD4s and only one E3D, the simplest solution for the moment is to print up something that lets us use the SD4 extruder on Lawsy's carriages.  He opted to bolt on a printed bracket to the Lawsy center carriage.  I'm opting to modify the Lawsy center carriage.  Either approach is helpful when one wants Lawsy's carriages but doesn't need (or can't get) an E3D.  (The Mk5 doesn't work with the new style SD4+ hot end.  No J-head flange at the top).

219 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-20 19:13:42)

Ah, I keep forgetting that the stock SD4 hotend doesn't have a groove mount... thanks for clarifying.

Get me a picture and dimensions and I'd be happy to re-design an MK5 that'll work.

what printing profile are you guys using (how much infill etc?

100% infill 2-4 perimeters .3 layer height

thanks i'll give it a try tomorrow. it looks like i'll be tearign my printer down and re building it in a few weeks

I wanted to do this upgrade, but without ripping my printer apart to get parts.

I ordered new rods from Solidoodle (whichI think they must have had to hand make, it took 3 weeks to ship)

I also had the Lawsy carriage parts printed by Shapeways. I wanted something that was very accurate and would last.

The bearings I have are a tiny bit loose, although I'm hoping that the set I get from CNCSuperstore are better.

To fasten the bearings in place, does a drop or two of epoxy hurt? So they are a tight/stable fit?

Thanks again to Lawsy for such a great mod.

do not glue the bearings in! they should be fine once everything is assembled. If they are too loose in the carriage, a wrap or two of electrical tape is all you need to snug things up, just dont over do it or you could break the carriage when trying to install them...

you will really like the carriages once you have everything installed. it is kind of a pain to get the X belt on, but well worth the aggrivation! LOL
Our SD4 went from making flattened circles no matter how much belt adjustment we did*, to nearly perfect circles with minimal belt adjusting (getting them even & centered properly) with the Lawsy carriages.

*these carriages also solved another issue we were having with regard to dimensions being off - first layer would go down at the correct dimensions, but subsequent layers would be off by nearly 0.5mm due to the direction of the movements and ever so slight binding of the bushings in the original carriages.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1